Ol' Hippie

Default Cans for Salmon

I am looking for cans to can Tuna & Salmon. I have a hand canner and am
having difficulty locating cans.
8 oz - 16 oz preferred
Bruce

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Ol' Hippie"
> wrote:

> I am looking for cans to can Tuna & Salmon. I have a hand canner and am
> having difficulty locating cans.
> 8 oz - 16 oz preferred
> Bruce

http://www.wellscan.ca/fgcans.htm

or call Freund Containers 800.363.9822 (M-F; 7:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. CST)

http://www.freundcontainer.com/onlin...tialFrame%3d25
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."

Ross Reid

"Ol' Hippie" > wrote:

>I am looking for cans to can Tuna & Salmon. I have a hand canner and am
>having difficulty locating cans.
>8 oz - 16 oz preferred
>Bruce

You could check out Wells Can in British Columbia, Canada.
http://www.wellscan.ca/usfolder/indexusa.htm
If it were me and, it was something done annually, I think I'd switch
to glass jars.
Granted, a new glass jar costs more than a new can but, cans are a
one-shot deal whereas glass canning jars are reusable for years, they
only require the use of a new lid. New 8 oz. cans and lids runs
roughly $0.50 each unit, while a new lid for a glass jar runs roughly
$0.08.
I don't think it would take too long to amortize the cost of glass
jars.
Besides, you can see what you've got in a glass jar.
That's just my opinion and, since I have no intention of ever canning
salmon or tuna, I may be way off base.
Ross.
To email, remove the obvious from my address.
Jerry

When I had 100 pounds of salmon to can, I used 1/2 pint jars... NO way
I'll do that again...
1/2 pound salmon does NOT fit a 1/2 pint jar.... and the processing time
took me over 4 days to can it all... (wifey and I took alternate 2 hour
naps).
Next time I freeze it. smoke it and freeze it, or give the damn stuff
away!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry.

Ol' Hippie wrote:
> I am looking for cans to can Tuna & Salmon. I have a hand canner and am
> having difficulty locating cans.
> 8 oz - 16 oz preferred
> Bruce

Ol' Hippie

Thanks for the info just ordered from wells cans.
Jack, I had to laugh because when my wife & I did the Albacore it was a lot
of work, We froze the whole fish first and did one fish a day until it was
all canned, Albacore as you may or may not know is easier to work on if its
still on the frozen side, I cleaned the fish (a REAL messy job) and my wife
cut the loins to size and loaded cans and I put the lids on and we both sat
with a glass of wine as the pressure cooker did its thing. Not sure how much
Salmon we will can because we smoke most of it usually, but the Food Saver
is my preference if it's going in the freezer.
Bruce-n-Gold Beach