Blanche Nonken

"f/256" > wrote:

> If I translate that to my own language, it means: "as tight
> as you can get it using your finger", the problem is that I can get it
> really tight, so tight that my petit wife can not un-screw the ring. Is the
> intention, perhaps, just to tight it as tight I as I can get it using just
> the very tip of the fingers.

That's what I do, just the fingertips.

A while back someone posted a question, wanting to know why the flat
lids on his canned somethingorothers were buckled upwards. I surmised
it was because the poster was cranking the lids down too tight. If you
canned them and enough air was pushed out to form a vacuum, then it's
probably fine.
Blanche Nonken

"f/256" > wrote:

> If I translate that to my own language, it means: "as tight
> as you can get it using your finger", the problem is that I can get it
> really tight, so tight that my petit wife can not un-screw the ring. Is the
> intention, perhaps, just to tight it as tight I as I can get it using just
> the very tip of the fingers.

That's what I do, just the fingertips.

A while back someone posted a question, wanting to know why the flat
lids on his canned somethingorothers were buckled upwards. I surmised
it was because the poster was cranking the lids down too tight. If you
canned them and enough air was pushed out to form a vacuum, then it's
probably fine.
Blanche Nonken

"f/256" > wrote:

> If I translate that to my own language, it means: "as tight
> as you can get it using your finger", the problem is that I can get it
> really tight, so tight that my petit wife can not un-screw the ring. Is the
> intention, perhaps, just to tight it as tight I as I can get it using just
> the very tip of the fingers.

That's what I do, just the fingertips.

A while back someone posted a question, wanting to know why the flat
lids on his canned somethingorothers were buckled upwards. I surmised
it was because the poster was cranking the lids down too tight. If you
canned them and enough air was pushed out to form a vacuum, then it's
probably fine.
zxcvbob

Ken Anderson wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>
>>This is from the NCHFP site about canning tomatoes:
>>How do I? ...Can Tomatoes
>>
>>Caution: Do not can tomatoes from dead or frost-killed vines.
>>

> Anyone know why the above caution?
> Ken

Because they allegedly are much less acid than green tomatoes or vine
ripened tomatoes. IMHO, if they taste OK, you can ignore the warning
*if* you pressure can them or use them in a salsa recipe w/ lots of
lemon juice or vinegar. I would not water-bath can them even if I added
the citric acid.

Bob
zxcvbob

Ken Anderson wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>
>>This is from the NCHFP site about canning tomatoes:
>>How do I? ...Can Tomatoes
>>
>>Caution: Do not can tomatoes from dead or frost-killed vines.
>>

> Anyone know why the above caution?
> Ken

Because they allegedly are much less acid than green tomatoes or vine
ripened tomatoes. IMHO, if they taste OK, you can ignore the warning
*if* you pressure can them or use them in a salsa recipe w/ lots of
lemon juice or vinegar. I would not water-bath can them even if I added
the citric acid.

Bob

Brian Mailman

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> For pints, use one tablespoon bottled lemon juice or 1/4 teaspoon
> citric acid.

Ah. That answers the question I had about a month about about the
equivalencies. Seems citric acid is 12x the same amount of lemon juice.

B/
Brian Mailman

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> For pints, use one tablespoon bottled lemon juice or 1/4 teaspoon
> citric acid.

Ah. That answers the question I had about a month about about the
equivalencies. Seems citric acid is 12x the same amount of lemon juice.

B/
The Joneses

f/256 wrote:

> "f/256" > wrote in message
> . cable.rogers.com...
> >
> > Is boiling and/or pressure cooking of the filled jar really needed? How

> do
> > people in this NG do it?

> I am the originator of this thread. After reading all of the replies to my
> question and because I couldn't find a pressure canner capable of more than
> doing 6 liter jars at once, I ended up doing the boiling water bath process.
> Now we can still share tomato sauce with our amigos, not just with enemies
> :-)
>
> If I may change the topic a little bit: After filling the jars with the hot
> sauce, placing the lids and rings, how tight should the rings be? I read
> that they should be "finger tight", but I really quite don't get what that
> really means. If I translate that to my own language, it means: "as tight
> as you can get it using your finger", the problem is that I can get it
> really tight, so tight that my petit wife can not un-screw the ring. Is the
> intention, perhaps, just to tight it as tight I as I can get it using just
> the very tip of the fingers.
>
> I know this is a silly question, but if I am going to go to the trouble of
> BWB, I must as well do every single step of the process as per the
> instructions.
>
> Guillermo
> (got 2 more bushels to process)

Some menfolks like my husband would say "jus' barely snug is down." The idear
here is to barely hold the lid on underwater until it seals when you take it
out. I put the rings on as if you were putting a lid on a jar of mayo, only
less.
Does that help?
Edrena

Kacey

"Finger tight" usually refers to only using the thumb and 1 finger to
tighten the rings/bands. The should only be snug enough to keep the
lids in place and loose enough to allow air in the jars to escape. They
should also be loose after you remove them from the BWB. Try using your
non-dominent hand and yes, your fingertips - not a "grip". Remember
what all those piano teachers used to say "keep your wrists straight,
fingers nicely rounded"? Works for not over tightening the jar bands too.
Kacey

f/256 wrote:
> "f/256" > wrote in message
> . cable.rogers.com...
>
>>Is boiling and/or pressure cooking of the filled jar really needed? How

> do
>
>>people in this NG do it?

> I am the originator of this thread. After reading all of the replies to my
> question and because I couldn't find a pressure canner capable of more than
> doing 6 liter jars at once, I ended up doing the boiling water bath process.
> Now we can still share tomato sauce with our amigos, not just with enemies
> :-)
>
> If I may change the topic a little bit: After filling the jars with the hot
> sauce, placing the lids and rings, how tight should the rings be? I read
> that they should be "finger tight", but I really quite don't get what that
> really means. If I translate that to my own language, it means: "as tight
> as you can get it using your finger", the problem is that I can get it
> really tight, so tight that my petit wife can not un-screw the ring. Is the
> intention, perhaps, just to tight it as tight I as I can get it using just
> the very tip of the fingers.
>
> I know this is a silly question, but if I am going to go to the trouble of
> BWB, I must as well do every single step of the process as per the
> instructions.
>
> Guillermo
> (got 2 more bushels to process)

Kacey

f/256 wrote:
> "f/256" > wrote in message
> . cable.rogers.com...
>
>>Is boiling and/or pressure cooking of the filled jar really needed? How

> do
>
>>people in this NG do it?

> I am the originator of this thread. After reading all of the replies to my
> question and because I couldn't find a pressure canner capable of more than
> doing 6 liter jars at once, I ended up doing the boiling water bath process.
> Now we can still share tomato sauce with our amigos, not just with enemies
> :-)
>
> If I may change the topic a little bit: After filling the jars with the hot
> sauce, placing the lids and rings, how tight should the rings be? I read
> that they should be "finger tight", but I really quite don't get what that
> really means. If I translate that to my own language, it means: "as tight
> as you can get it using your finger", the problem is that I can get it
> really tight, so tight that my petit wife can not un-screw the ring. Is the
> intention, perhaps, just to tight it as tight I as I can get it using just
> the very tip of the fingers.
>
> I know this is a silly question, but if I am going to go to the trouble of
> BWB, I must as well do every single step of the process as per the
> instructions.
>
> Guillermo
> (got 2 more bushels to process)

Melba's Jammin'

In article
e.rogers.com>,
"f/256" > wrote:

> "f/256" > wrote in message
> . cable.rogers.com...
> >
> > Is boiling and/or pressure cooking of the filled jar really needed?
> > How do people in this NG do it?

> I am the originator of this thread. After reading all of the replies
> to my question and because I couldn't find a pressure canner capable
> of more than doing 6 liter jars at once, I ended up doing the boiling
> water bath process. Now we can still share tomato sauce with our
> amigos, not just with enemies
> :-)

Good. You've discovered that the regulars here are generally
conservative in our processing methods. Even if "they've always done it
this way and no one. . . yet." Operative word is "yet."

> If I may change the topic a little bit: After filling the jars with
> the hot sauce, placing the lids and rings, how tight should the rings
> be? I read that they should be "finger tight", but I really quite
> don't get what that really means. If I translate that to my own
> language, it means: "as tight as you can get it using your finger",
> the problem is that I can get it really tight, so tight that my petit
> wife can not un-screw the ring. Is the intention, perhaps, just to
> tight it as tight I as I can get it using just the very tip of the
> fingers.
>
> I know this is a silly question, but if I am going to go to the
> trouble of BWB, I must as well do every single step of the process as
> per the instructions.
>
> Guillermo (got 2 more bushels to process)

Nope, it's not a silly question. It's quite reasonable.
I tighten using my thumb and middle finger. That tight. :-) Not so
tight that a jar wrench is necessary to unscrew. Tight enough that it's
on firmly but you could still crank it maybe 1/8 or 1/4 turn if you
tried.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-18-04; Sushi Story
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."

Melba's Jammin'

In article
e.rogers.com>,
"f/256" > wrote:

> "f/256" > wrote in message
> . cable.rogers.com...
> >
> > Is boiling and/or pressure cooking of the filled jar really needed?
> > How do people in this NG do it?

> I am the originator of this thread. After reading all of the replies
> to my question and because I couldn't find a pressure canner capable
> of more than doing 6 liter jars at once, I ended up doing the boiling
> water bath process. Now we can still share tomato sauce with our
> amigos, not just with enemies
> :-)

Good. You've discovered that the regulars here are generally
conservative in our processing methods. Even if "they've always done it
this way and no one. . . yet." Operative word is "yet."

> If I may change the topic a little bit: After filling the jars with
> the hot sauce, placing the lids and rings, how tight should the rings
> be? I read that they should be "finger tight", but I really quite
> don't get what that really means. If I translate that to my own
> language, it means: "as tight as you can get it using your finger",
> the problem is that I can get it really tight, so tight that my petit
> wife can not un-screw the ring. Is the intention, perhaps, just to
> tight it as tight I as I can get it using just the very tip of the
> fingers.
>
> I know this is a silly question, but if I am going to go to the
> trouble of BWB, I must as well do every single step of the process as
> per the instructions.
>
> Guillermo (got 2 more bushels to process)

Nope, it's not a silly question. It's quite reasonable.
I tighten using my thumb and middle finger. That tight. :-) Not so
tight that a jar wrench is necessary to unscrew. Tight enough that it's
on firmly but you could still crank it maybe 1/8 or 1/4 turn if you
tried.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-18-04; Sushi Story
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, zxcvbob
> wrote:
> The USDA sanctioned recipes assume a worst-case scenario with low-acid
> varieties and improper ripening. I wonder how important adding acid is
> if you grow old-fashioned commerical canning varieties like Marglobe,
> Rutgers, or any of the Campbell or Heinz numbered varieties (Heinz 1439,
> etc.) I don't know if it matters or not, I'm just wondering.

> Bob

I think somewhere on the U of MN Extension Svc site is a list of some
tomatoes that are low acid. For some reason, I have it in my mind that
the info may even be in the FAQ file.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-18-04; Sushi Story
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, zxcvbob
> wrote:
> The USDA sanctioned recipes assume a worst-case scenario with low-acid
> varieties and improper ripening. I wonder how important adding acid is
> if you grow old-fashioned commerical canning varieties like Marglobe,
> Rutgers, or any of the Campbell or Heinz numbered varieties (Heinz 1439,
> etc.) I don't know if it matters or not, I'm just wondering.

> Bob

I think somewhere on the U of MN Extension Svc site is a list of some
tomatoes that are low acid. For some reason, I have it in my mind that
the info may even be in the FAQ file.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-18-04; Sushi Story
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, zxcvbob
> > wrote:
>
>>The USDA sanctioned recipes assume a worst-case scenario with low-acid
>>varieties and improper ripening. I wonder how important adding acid is
>>if you grow old-fashioned commerical canning varieties like Marglobe,
>>Rutgers, or any of the Campbell or Heinz numbered varieties (Heinz 1439,
>>etc.) I don't know if it matters or not, I'm just wondering.

>>Bob

> I think somewhere on the U of MN Extension Svc site is a list of some
> tomatoes that are low acid. For some reason, I have it in my mind that
> the info may even be in the FAQ file.

But I'm talking about planting old *high-acid* varieties. If the
acidity guidlines have changed because tomatoes have changed, what if
you use 80 year old canning varieties? (I think you probably still need
to add the acid, and "changes in tomatoes" are just speculation.) The
reason I think this is because Heinz and Hunts do not grow low-acid
varieties, and they still add citric acid to their canned tomatoes.

The logic is backwards, but my conclusion is you should add citric acid
or lemon juice no matter what varieties you use if you process your
tomatoes in a boiling water bath.

Now here's something really weird and contradictory: University of
Minnesota something they call "Minnesota Tomato Mixture" that is
tomatoes with a little onion, peppers, and celery, *without any acid*
and it's processed in a BWB.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...on/DJ1097.html

I don't know what to make of it, but since I always process my tomatoes
in a pressure canner it doesn't matter.

Bob

zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, zxcvbob
> > wrote:
>
>>The USDA sanctioned recipes assume a worst-case scenario with low-acid
>>varieties and improper ripening. I wonder how important adding acid is
>>if you grow old-fashioned commerical canning varieties like Marglobe,
>>Rutgers, or any of the Campbell or Heinz numbered varieties (Heinz 1439,
>>etc.) I don't know if it matters or not, I'm just wondering.

>>Bob

> I think somewhere on the U of MN Extension Svc site is a list of some
> tomatoes that are low acid. For some reason, I have it in my mind that
> the info may even be in the FAQ file.

But I'm talking about planting old *high-acid* varieties. If the
acidity guidlines have changed because tomatoes have changed, what if
you use 80 year old canning varieties? (I think you probably still need
to add the acid, and "changes in tomatoes" are just speculation.) The
reason I think this is because Heinz and Hunts do not grow low-acid
varieties, and they still add citric acid to their canned tomatoes.

The logic is backwards, but my conclusion is you should add citric acid
or lemon juice no matter what varieties you use if you process your
tomatoes in a boiling water bath.

Now here's something really weird and contradictory: University of
Minnesota something they call "Minnesota Tomato Mixture" that is
tomatoes with a little onion, peppers, and celery, *without any acid*
and it's processed in a BWB.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...on/DJ1097.html

I don't know what to make of it, but since I always process my tomatoes
in a pressure canner it doesn't matter.

Bob
sarah

zxcvbob > wrote:

> The USDA sanctioned recipes assume a worst-case scenario with low-acid
> varieties and improper ripening. I wonder how important adding acid is
> if you grow old-fashioned commerical canning varieties like Marglobe,
> Rutgers, or any of the Campbell or Heinz numbered varieties (Heinz 1439,
> etc.) I don't know if it matters or not, I'm just wondering.

I've been quietly wondering this while reading the thread. This year I
grew a 'traditional' ('heirloom' in the US) plum tomato 'San Marzano', a
variety intended for cooking and bottling. The flavour is wonderful, and
although we've had a bad summer for tomatoes, they've been prolific and
the fruit is slowly ripening. I've been BWB and adding lemon juice --
but I'd really rather not add the juice. Perhaps I should get some
litmus paper instead.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.
zxcvbob

sarah wrote:
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>

>>The USDA sanctioned recipes assume a worst-case scenario with low-acid
>>varieties and improper ripening. I wonder how important adding acid is
>>if you grow old-fashioned commerical canning varieties like Marglobe,
>>Rutgers, or any of the Campbell or Heinz numbered varieties (Heinz 1439,
>>etc.) I don't know if it matters or not, I'm just wondering.

> I've been quietly wondering this while reading the thread. This year I
> grew a 'traditional' ('heirloom' in the US) plum tomato 'San Marzano', a
> variety intended for cooking and bottling. The flavour is wonderful, and
> although we've had a bad summer for tomatoes, they've been prolific and
> the fruit is slowly ripening. I've been BWB and adding lemon juice --
> but I'd really rather not add the juice. Perhaps I should get some
> litmus paper instead.
>
> regards
> sarah

San Marzano is on the "not acid enough" list at UMN:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...6section3.html

I would add citric acid to any tomato variety if I BWB them, and I don't
add acid when I pressure can them.

Actually, I seldom can tomatoes anymore. I can salsa.

Bob
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, zxcvbob
> wrote:
>
> Actually, I seldom can tomatoes anymore. I can salsa.
>
> Bob

Yeah, but can you rhumba? Tango? Merengue? Waltz?
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-18-04; Sushi Story
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, zxcvbob
> > wrote:
>
>>Actually, I seldom can tomatoes anymore. I can salsa.
>>
>>Bob

> Yeah, but can you rhumba? Tango? Merengue? Waltz?

Well, I waltzed right into that joke, didn't I?

I can't believe I set myself up like that. At least I didn't say
"I can can" :-)

Bob

The Joneses

zxcvbob wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >, zxcvbob
> > > wrote:
> >>Actually, I seldom can tomatoes anymore. I can salsa.
> >>Bob

> > Yeah, but can you rhumba? Tango? Merengue? Waltz?

> Well, I waltzed right into that joke, didn't I?
> I can't believe I set myself up like that. At least I didn't say
> "I can can" :-)
> Bob

Sounds to me like y'all are twisting the issue.
Edrena

The Joneses

zxcvbob wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >, zxcvbob
> > > wrote:
> >>Actually, I seldom can tomatoes anymore. I can salsa.
> >>Bob

> > Yeah, but can you rhumba? Tango? Merengue? Waltz?

> Well, I waltzed right into that joke, didn't I?
> I can't believe I set myself up like that. At least I didn't say
> "I can can" :-)
> Bob

Sounds to me like y'all are twisting the issue.
Edrena

George Shirley

zxcvbob wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> In article >, zxcvbob
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, I seldom can tomatoes anymore. I can salsa.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> Yeah, but can you rhumba? Tango? Merengue? Waltz?

> Well, I waltzed right into that joke, didn't I?
>
> I can't believe I set myself up like that. At least I didn't say
> "I can can" :-)
>
> Bob

We're all glad you didn't say that too, I don't want to know if you wear
frilly drawers. <BSEG>

George

George Shirley

zxcvbob wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> In article >, zxcvbob
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, I seldom can tomatoes anymore. I can salsa.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> Yeah, but can you rhumba? Tango? Merengue? Waltz?

> Well, I waltzed right into that joke, didn't I?
>
> I can't believe I set myself up like that. At least I didn't say
> "I can can" :-)
>
> Bob

We're all glad you didn't say that too, I don't want to know if you wear
frilly drawers. <BSEG>

George

Paul Kierstead

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> I'd use citric acid as a first choice, then lemon juice, then vinegar.
> Citric acid will make it more "sour"; i.e., acidic and safer for
> processing, without affecting the "flavor". Lemon juice and vinegar
> will add some flavor. And you have to use twice as much vinegar as
> lemon juice. Before I started using citric acid, I used lemon juice and
> did not notice any objectionable taste changes.

Thanks for the reply and info!! Many thanks for the information and
feedback from you and others. I am still a ways from doing it, but would
feel better about planting a bunch of tomato plants next year. Maybe
even this year as tomato's are quite cheap right now.

> This is from the NCHFP site about canning tomatoes:

This is where I got the original information. Of course, such dry texts
are always worried about the processing of food, less about the taste.
Hence most commercial food products, I guess.

sarah

zxcvbob > wrote:

[-]

> San Marzano is on the "not acid enough" list at UMN:
> http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...ts/DJ0516secti
> on3.html
>
> I would add citric acid to any tomato variety if I BWB them, and I don't
> add acid when I pressure can them.
>
> Actually, I seldom can tomatoes anymore. I can salsa.

But I want my own tomatoes on homemade pizza in December, and salsa
would seem a bit strange.

thanks, Bob. I hadn't realised that sort of info is available.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.
sarah

zxcvbob > wrote:

[-]

> San Marzano is on the "not acid enough" list at UMN:
> http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...ts/DJ0516secti
> on3.html
>
> I would add citric acid to any tomato variety if I BWB them, and I don't
> add acid when I pressure can them.
>
> Actually, I seldom can tomatoes anymore. I can salsa.

But I want my own tomatoes on homemade pizza in December, and salsa
would seem a bit strange.

thanks, Bob. I hadn't realised that sort of info is available.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.
Melba's Jammin'

In article
rs.com>,
Paul Kierstead > wrote:

> Thanks for the reply and info!! Many thanks for the information and
> feedback from you and others. I am still a ways from doing it, but would
> feel better about planting a bunch of tomato plants next year.

Be careful what you wish for. "-)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-18-04; Sushi Story
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Melba's Jammin'

In article
rs.com>,
Paul Kierstead > wrote:

> Thanks for the reply and info!! Many thanks for the information and
> feedback from you and others. I am still a ways from doing it, but would
> feel better about planting a bunch of tomato plants next year.

Be careful what you wish for. "-)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-18-04; Sushi Story
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Melba's Jammin'

In article
rs.com>,