Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Nyssa
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > I just found out today that I've been awarded the coveted and
> > highly sought "Prestigious Processor of the Pantry" medallion. Go
> > ahead, laugh

> Many congratulations!

> I'm soooo jealous! I don't even have a county fair
> to enter and I really miss the fun of it all.

How about a state fair? Check it out!

> Consider yourself crowned Canning Queen of 2004 in rfp!

Thenkyewverymuch. Mother Superior will continue to do nicely. "-)
Wanna kiss my medal?

> Nyssa, turning greener by the minute.

Don't be. I've been competing for 25 years and the one thing I've
learned is that you just never know! I've had stuff win one year and
not even place the next and it could be for reasons, none having to do
with the quality of my stuff. (I refuse to believe there could be such
drastic results based on objectivity.) OTOH, sometimes I've entered
some real dogs.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 9/2/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Nyssa
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > I just found out today that I've been awarded the coveted and
> > highly sought "Prestigious Processor of the Pantry" medallion. Go
> > ahead, laugh

> Many congratulations!

> I'm soooo jealous! I don't even have a county fair
> to enter and I really miss the fun of it all.

How about a state fair? Check it out!

> Consider yourself crowned Canning Queen of 2004 in rfp!

Thenkyewverymuch. Mother Superior will continue to do nicely. "-)
Wanna kiss my medal?

> Nyssa, turning greener by the minute.

Don't be. I've been competing for 25 years and the one thing I've
learned is that you just never know! I've had stuff win one year and
not even place the next and it could be for reasons, none having to do
with the quality of my stuff. (I refuse to believe there could be such
drastic results based on objectivity.) OTOH, sometimes I've entered
some real dogs.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 9/2/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Nyssa
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > I just found out today that I've been awarded the coveted and
> > highly sought "Prestigious Processor of the Pantry" medallion. Go
> > ahead, laugh

> Many congratulations!

> I'm soooo jealous! I don't even have a county fair
> to enter and I really miss the fun of it all.

How about a state fair? Check it out!

> Consider yourself crowned Canning Queen of 2004 in rfp!

Thenkyewverymuch. Mother Superior will continue to do nicely. "-)
Wanna kiss my medal?

> Nyssa, turning greener by the minute.

Don't be. I've been competing for 25 years and the one thing I've
learned is that you just never know! I've had stuff win one year and
not even place the next and it could be for reasons, none having to do
with the quality of my stuff. (I refuse to believe there could be such
drastic results based on objectivity.) OTOH, sometimes I've entered
some real dogs.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 9/2/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Blanche Nonken

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> OTOH, sometimes I've entered some real dogs.

Pickled or jammed?
Blanche Nonken

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> OTOH, sometimes I've entered some real dogs.

Pickled or jammed?
Blanche Nonken

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> OTOH, sometimes I've entered some real dogs.

Pickled or jammed?
Brian Mailman

William R. Watt wrote:

> Mapickle ) writes:
>>>I just found out today that I've been awarded the coveted and highly
>>>sought "Prestigious Processor of the Pantry" medallion.

>> Way to go Barb! Here in the great Pacifc NW we call those type of awards Queen
>> of the Kitchen - but PPP is way more PC.

> is there a King of the Kitchen award?
>
> some men might delight in being crowned Queen of the Kitchen and dressing up
> in wigs and fancy evening gowns for the presentation, but others of us
> would be discouraged from entering the competition.

I'm sure a simple summer frock would do, you don't need--and it would be
inappropriate--to wear an evening gown in the afternoon unless you're on
TV for the Oscars.

B/
Brian Mailman

William R. Watt wrote:

> Mapickle ) writes:
>>>I just found out today that I've been awarded the coveted and highly
>>>sought "Prestigious Processor of the Pantry" medallion.

>> Way to go Barb! Here in the great Pacifc NW we call those type of awards Queen
>> of the Kitchen - but PPP is way more PC.

> is there a King of the Kitchen award?
>
> some men might delight in being crowned Queen of the Kitchen and dressing up
> in wigs and fancy evening gowns for the presentation, but others of us
> would be discouraged from entering the competition.

I'm sure a simple summer frock would do, you don't need--and it would be
inappropriate--to wear an evening gown in the afternoon unless you're on
TV for the Oscars.

B/

Brian Mailman

William R. Watt wrote:

> Mapickle ) writes:
>>>I just found out today that I've been awarded the coveted and highly
>>>sought "Prestigious Processor of the Pantry" medallion.

>> Way to go Barb! Here in the great Pacifc NW we call those type of awards Queen
>> of the Kitchen - but PPP is way more PC.

> is there a King of the Kitchen award?
>
> some men might delight in being crowned Queen of the Kitchen and dressing up
> in wigs and fancy evening gowns for the presentation, but others of us
> would be discouraged from entering the competition.

I'm sure a simple summer frock would do, you don't need--and it would be
inappropriate--to wear an evening gown in the afternoon unless you're on
TV for the Oscars.

B/
Mapickle

Barb asks about judging:

> I wonder if they
>swallow or spit like wine tasters. If they cleanse their palate before
>the next sample. That kind of stuff.
>--

Honestly, the good stuff usually gets swallowed. Some things get spit out
really fast! And the really good jars get passed around from judge to clerk
(we ate half a jar of this really nice spearmint jelly....)

The gross part is a lot of judges use the same spoon to taste jar after jar. I
try really hard to use a clean spoon for each jar (somethimes there aren't many
spoons....)

I try to spoon a bit of the product onto a plate to I can play with it, see how
stiff the jelly is, how it spreads etc.

After a while you need to take a break cause you get so you just can't taste
the difference between jams!

At Washington County Fair the judging is open to the public, don't usually have
many people in the gallery tho.

Ingrid

Mapickle

Barb asks about judging:

> I wonder if they
>swallow or spit like wine tasters. If they cleanse their palate before
>the next sample. That kind of stuff.
>--

Honestly, the good stuff usually gets swallowed. Some things get spit out
really fast! And the really good jars get passed around from judge to clerk
(we ate half a jar of this really nice spearmint jelly....)

The gross part is a lot of judges use the same spoon to taste jar after jar. I
try really hard to use a clean spoon for each jar (somethimes there aren't many
spoons....)

I try to spoon a bit of the product onto a plate to I can play with it, see how
stiff the jelly is, how it spreads etc.

After a while you need to take a break cause you get so you just can't taste
the difference between jams!

At Washington County Fair the judging is open to the public, don't usually have
many people in the gallery tho.

Ingrid

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> OK, I think about done with Fair posts for this year.

I lied.

They also gave me the autographed copy of Linda Amendt's book about
preserving. It is the judges' award for the best canning entry -- for
the most outstanding exhibit in canned and preserved foods. Only thing
is, no one could tell me what entry it was for. Go figure.

Here's a fun read, if you can stand any more about me:
http://www.thisweek-online.com/2004/...b-jamlady.html

There's a really bad picture, too, if you dig around for it -- the link
is on the paper's home page via the Burnsville news link on the left.

I spent a couple hours with the Assistant Editor of the Minnesota
Women's Press yesterday morning, too. They're doing a story about
canning and have talked to a couple Fair winners -- and are hoping to
hook up with the young man who mops up in the vegetable categories
there, too. He's a cutie -- and makes totally killer dill pickles!

And my food co-op is doing a story, too.

And I'll be on the local CBS radio affilitate early Saturday morning.
(WCCO, 830 AM)

All that and a buck and a half will get you a cup of coffee. But it's
fun while it lasts.

I'll report on my scores later.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 9/2/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.