William R. Watt

Default how to lift scum from jelly?

I've been inspired by what I've read in this newsgroup to enter some wild
fruit and berry jellies in a local agricultural fair. I received the entry
information in the mail yesterday. I hope to enter wild fruit jelly to
draw attention to the preservation of wild fruit and berry bearing trees
and shrubs.

I've not been too concerned before with getting all the bubbles off the
top of jelly but for the contest I think it has to be absolutely clear.
I'm doing some test samples of a cup each to try and get it right before
making the final batches. I've tried scooping scum off the rolling boiling
juices without much success. I've also tried waiting for a skin for form
on the top of the cooling juice and lifting it with a spoon and a fork but
it keeps falling apart. I've even tried pouring the hot juice into the jar
through a tea strainer but the scum bubbles go right through. Is there
something I'm missing here?

Are some fruits more prone to scum than others?
Does anyone know what causes the scum?

On the subject of sugar clearing the cloudiness of jelly juices, it's
quite dramatic with wild cherries. The juice is very cloudy. I even tried
straining it though a coffee filtre which made no difference to the juice
and left no residue on the filtre. But as soon as the sugar is added to
the boiling juice the juice turns a clear deep red.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
(William R. Watt) wrote:

> I've been inspired by what I've read in this newsgroup to enter some
> wild fruit and berry jellies in a local agricultural fair. I received
> the entry information in the mail yesterday. I hope to enter wild
> fruit jelly to draw attention to the preservation of wild fruit and
> berry bearing trees and shrubs.
>
> I've not been too concerned before with getting all the bubbles off
> the top of jelly but for the contest I think it has to be absolutely
> clear. I'm doing some test samples of a cup each to try and get it
> right before making the final batches. I've tried scooping scum off
> the rolling boiling juices without much success. I've also tried
> waiting for a skin for form on the top of the cooling juice and
> lifting it with a spoon and a fork but it keeps falling apart. I've
> even tried pouring the hot juice into the jar through a tea strainer
> but the scum bubbles go right through. Is there something I'm missing
> here?

It can be tedious sometimes, that's for sure, William. I've been using
a flat fine mesh skimmer to get the foam off. On jam, I use the bottom
of the skimmer - just set it atop the foam and pick it up, then rinse it
off and do it some more. :-) Sometimes I'll pick the foam from the
poured jar. And sometimes it's insignificant enough that I don't mess
with it.

I have less trouble with jelly - when it settles a bit (I pour from pot
to a 2-quart glass pitcher so I can pour my jelly into the jar rather
than ladle it) it's pretty easy to skim with either a big spoon or my
skimmer.

> Are some fruits more prone to scum than others?

I think so, but don't ask me to tell you which ones.

> Does anyone know what causes the scum?

Can't remember. (Lotta help I am, huh?)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
(William R. Watt) wrote:

> I've been inspired by what I've read in this newsgroup to enter some
> wild fruit and berry jellies in a local agricultural fair. I received
> the entry information in the mail yesterday. I hope to enter wild
> fruit jelly to draw attention to the preservation of wild fruit and
> berry bearing trees and shrubs.
>
> I've not been too concerned before with getting all the bubbles off
> the top of jelly but for the contest I think it has to be absolutely
> clear. I'm doing some test samples of a cup each to try and get it
> right before making the final batches. I've tried scooping scum off
> the rolling boiling juices without much success. I've also tried
> waiting for a skin for form on the top of the cooling juice and
> lifting it with a spoon and a fork but it keeps falling apart. I've
> even tried pouring the hot juice into the jar through a tea strainer
> but the scum bubbles go right through. Is there something I'm missing
> here?

It can be tedious sometimes, that's for sure, William. I've been using
a flat fine mesh skimmer to get the foam off. On jam, I use the bottom
of the skimmer - just set it atop the foam and pick it up, then rinse it
off and do it some more. :-) Sometimes I'll pick the foam from the
poured jar. And sometimes it's insignificant enough that I don't mess
with it.

I have less trouble with jelly - when it settles a bit (I pour from pot
to a 2-quart glass pitcher so I can pour my jelly into the jar rather
than ladle it) it's pretty easy to skim with either a big spoon or my
skimmer.

> Are some fruits more prone to scum than others?

I think so, but don't ask me to tell you which ones.

> Does anyone know what causes the scum?

Can't remember. (Lotta help I am, huh?)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
(William R. Watt) wrote:

> I've been inspired by what I've read in this newsgroup to enter some
> wild fruit and berry jellies in a local agricultural fair. I received
> the entry information in the mail yesterday. I hope to enter wild
> fruit jelly to draw attention to the preservation of wild fruit and
> berry bearing trees and shrubs.
>
> I've not been too concerned before with getting all the bubbles off
> the top of jelly but for the contest I think it has to be absolutely
> clear. I'm doing some test samples of a cup each to try and get it
> right before making the final batches. I've tried scooping scum off
> the rolling boiling juices without much success. I've also tried
> waiting for a skin for form on the top of the cooling juice and
> lifting it with a spoon and a fork but it keeps falling apart. I've
> even tried pouring the hot juice into the jar through a tea strainer
> but the scum bubbles go right through. Is there something I'm missing
> here?

It can be tedious sometimes, that's for sure, William. I've been using
a flat fine mesh skimmer to get the foam off. On jam, I use the bottom
of the skimmer - just set it atop the foam and pick it up, then rinse it
off and do it some more. :-) Sometimes I'll pick the foam from the
poured jar. And sometimes it's insignificant enough that I don't mess
with it.

I have less trouble with jelly - when it settles a bit (I pour from pot
to a 2-quart glass pitcher so I can pour my jelly into the jar rather
than ladle it) it's pretty easy to skim with either a big spoon or my
skimmer.

> Are some fruits more prone to scum than others?

I think so, but don't ask me to tell you which ones.

> Does anyone know what causes the scum?

Can't remember. (Lotta help I am, huh?)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> > Are some fruits more prone to scum than others?

> I think so, but don't ask me to tell you which ones.
>
> > Does anyone know what causes the scum?

> Can't remember. (Lotta help I am, huh?)

I've been told to stir a knob of butter into the jam or jelly to remove
scum, prior (as I recall) to pouring it into jars. What's you take on this
Barb ? I was somewhat concerned about the butter being a dairy product when
BWB canning (and as it goes so far I haven't needed to bother about scum
anyway).

Rachael

Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> > Are some fruits more prone to scum than others?

> I think so, but don't ask me to tell you which ones.
>
> > Does anyone know what causes the scum?

> Can't remember. (Lotta help I am, huh?)

I've been told to stir a knob of butter into the jam or jelly to remove
scum, prior (as I recall) to pouring it into jars. What's you take on this
Barb ? I was somewhat concerned about the butter being a dairy product when
BWB canning (and as it goes so far I haven't needed to bother about scum
anyway).

Rachael

Brian Mailman

Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat wrote:
> I've been told to stir a knob of butter into the jam or jelly to remove
> scum, prior (as I recall) to pouring it into jars. What's you take on this
> Barb ? I was somewhat concerned about the butter being a dairy product when
> BWB canning (and as it goes so far I haven't needed to bother about scum
> anyway).

I'm not Barb and I don't play her on TV but what's the concern? If
you're heating the jelly/jam above boiling point, and then BWB at
boiling for some time any beasties are gone.

B/
Brian Mailman

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat wrote:
> > I've been told to stir a knob of butter into the jam or jelly to remove
> > scum, prior (as I recall) to pouring it into jars. What's you take on

this
> > Barb ? I was somewhat concerned about the butter being a dairy product

when
> > BWB canning (and as it goes so far I haven't needed to bother about scum
> > anyway).

> I'm not Barb and I don't play her on TV

Heh. ;-)

but what's the concern? If
> you're heating the jelly/jam above boiling point, and then BWB at
> boiling for some time any beasties are gone.

Didn't I read somewhere that when preserving dairy products one should use a
pressure canner as they're not acidic enough for BWB ? Just how much dairy
product counts as "dairy product" was what I was wondering.

Rachael

Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat wrote:
> > I've been told to stir a knob of butter into the jam or jelly to remove
> > scum, prior (as I recall) to pouring it into jars. What's you take on

this
> > Barb ? I was somewhat concerned about the butter being a dairy product

when
> > BWB canning (and as it goes so far I haven't needed to bother about scum
> > anyway).

> I'm not Barb and I don't play her on TV

Heh. ;-)

but what's the concern? If
> you're heating the jelly/jam above boiling point, and then BWB at
> boiling for some time any beasties are gone.

Didn't I read somewhere that when preserving dairy products one should use a
pressure canner as they're not acidic enough for BWB ? Just how much dairy
product counts as "dairy product" was what I was wondering.

Rachael

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan
Rat" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>

> > > Are some fruits more prone to scum than others?

> > I think so, but don't ask me to tell you which ones.
> >
> > > Does anyone know what causes the scum?

> > Can't remember. (Lotta help I am, huh?)

> I've been told to stir a knob of butter into the jam or jelly to
> remove scum, prior (as I recall) to pouring it into jars. What's you
> take on this Barb ? I was somewhat concerned about the butter being a
> dairy product when BWB canning (and as it goes so far I haven't
> needed to bother about scum anyway).

> Rachael

Yeah, I've seen it and done it - but only about a half teaspoon. I
think the SureJell leaflet might advise it - or offer it as an option.
And IMHO it doesn't really do the job totally - may reduce foaming a
bit, but not entirely. I've read some stuff that steers one away from
it on the chance of rancidity. I don't know how likely that is,
though. I use a couple drops of an anti-foam product that I get from my
inside source in the food production industry. It works pretty well;
better, IME with jelly than with jam. And I don't mind skimming from
jelly -- the jam can be a PITA. FWIW.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Melba's Jammin'

Rat" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>

> > > Are some fruits more prone to scum than others?

> > I think so, but don't ask me to tell you which ones.
> >
> > > Does anyone know what causes the scum?

> > Can't remember. (Lotta help I am, huh?)

> I've been told to stir a knob of butter into the jam or jelly to
> remove scum, prior (as I recall) to pouring it into jars. What's you
> take on this Barb ? I was somewhat concerned about the butter being a
> dairy product when BWB canning (and as it goes so far I haven't
> needed to bother about scum anyway).

> Rachael

Yeah, I've seen it and done it - but only about a half teaspoon. I
think the SureJell leaflet might advise it - or offer it as an option.
And IMHO it doesn't really do the job totally - may reduce foaming a
bit, but not entirely. I've read some stuff that steers one away from
it on the chance of rancidity. I don't know how likely that is,
though. I use a couple drops of an anti-foam product that I get from my
inside source in the food production industry. It works pretty well;
better, IME with jelly than with jam. And I don't mind skimming from
jelly -- the jam can be a PITA. FWIW.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Melba's Jammin'

Rat" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>

> > > Are some fruits more prone to scum than others?

> > I think so, but don't ask me to tell you which ones.
> >
> > > Does anyone know what causes the scum?

> > Can't remember. (Lotta help I am, huh?)

> I've been told to stir a knob of butter into the jam or jelly to
> remove scum, prior (as I recall) to pouring it into jars. What's you
> take on this Barb ? I was somewhat concerned about the butter being a
> dairy product when BWB canning (and as it goes so far I haven't
> needed to bother about scum anyway).

> Rachael

Yeah, I've seen it and done it - but only about a half teaspoon. I
think the SureJell leaflet might advise it - or offer it as an option.
And IMHO it doesn't really do the job totally - may reduce foaming a
bit, but not entirely. I've read some stuff that steers one away from
it on the chance of rancidity. I don't know how likely that is,
though. I use a couple drops of an anti-foam product that I get from my
inside source in the food production industry. It works pretty well;
better, IME with jelly than with jam. And I don't mind skimming from
jelly -- the jam can be a PITA. FWIW.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Melba's Jammin'

Rat" > wrote:

> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> > Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat wrote:
> > > I've been told to stir a knob of butter into the jam or jelly to
> > > remove scum, prior (as I recall) to pouring it into jars. What's
> > > you take on this Barb ? I was somewhat concerned about the butter
> > > being a dairy product when BWB canning (and as it goes so far I
> > > haven't needed to bother about scum anyway).

> > I'm not Barb and I don't play her on TV

> Heh. ;-)
>
> but what's the concern? If
> > you're heating the jelly/jam above boiling point, and then BWB at
> > boiling for some time any beasties are gone.
> >

> Didn't I read somewhere that when preserving dairy products one
> should use a pressure canner as they're not acidic enough for BWB ?
> Just how much dairy product counts as "dairy product" was what I was
> wondering.
>
> Rachael

I can't believe that a small bit of butter is going to alter the acidity
of a fruit product. Uh uh.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Melba's Jammin'

Rat" > wrote:

> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> > Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat wrote:
> > > I've been told to stir a knob of butter into the jam or jelly to
> > > remove scum, prior (as I recall) to pouring it into jars. What's
> > > you take on this Barb ? I was somewhat concerned about the butter
> > > being a dairy product when BWB canning (and as it goes so far I
> > > haven't needed to bother about scum anyway).

> > I'm not Barb and I don't play her on TV

> Heh. ;-)
>
> but what's the concern? If
> > you're heating the jelly/jam above boiling point, and then BWB at
> > boiling for some time any beasties are gone.
> >

> Didn't I read somewhere that when preserving dairy products one
> should use a pressure canner as they're not acidic enough for BWB ?
> Just how much dairy product counts as "dairy product" was what I was
> wondering.
>
> Rachael

I can't believe that a small bit of butter is going to alter the acidity
of a fruit product. Uh uh.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Melba's Jammin'

Rat" > wrote:

> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> > Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat wrote:
> > > I've been told to stir a knob of butter into the jam or jelly to
> > > remove scum, prior (as I recall) to pouring it into jars. What's
> > > you take on this Barb ? I was somewhat concerned about the butter
> > > being a dairy product when BWB canning (and as it goes so far I
> > > haven't needed to bother about scum anyway).

> > I'm not Barb and I don't play her on TV

> Heh. ;-)
>
> but what's the concern? If
> > you're heating the jelly/jam above boiling point, and then BWB at
> > boiling for some time any beasties are gone.
> >

> Didn't I read somewhere that when preserving dairy products one
> should use a pressure canner as they're not acidic enough for BWB ?
> Just how much dairy product counts as "dairy product" was what I was
> wondering.
>
> Rachael

I can't believe that a small bit of butter is going to alter the acidity
of a fruit product. Uh uh.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Melba's Jammin'

Rat" > wrote:

> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> > Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat wrote:
> > > I've been told to stir a knob of butter into the jam or jelly to
> > > remove scum, prior (as I recall) to pouring it into jars. What's
> > > you take on this Barb ? I was somewhat concerned about the butter
> > > being a dairy product when BWB canning (and as it goes so far I
> > > haven't needed to bother about scum anyway).

> > I'm not Barb and I don't play her on TV

> Heh. ;-)
>
> but what's the concern? If
> > you're heating the jelly/jam above boiling point, and then BWB at
> > boiling for some time any beasties are gone.
> >

> Didn't I read somewhere that when preserving dairy products one
> should use a pressure canner as they're not acidic enough for BWB ?
> Just how much dairy product counts as "dairy product" was what I was
> wondering.
>
> Rachael

I can't believe that a small bit of butter is going to alter the acidity
of a fruit product. Uh uh.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

<scum ...>

> I use a couple drops of an anti-foam product that I get from my
> inside source in the food production industry.

Oooooh, trade secrets, you lucky thing. ;-)

It works pretty well;
> better, IME with jelly than with jam. And I don't mind skimming from
> jelly -- the jam can be a PITA. FWIW.

I've not met scum yet. Thought I've only done bramble jelly, and rhubarb and
gooseberry jam atm (the goosegog and rhubarb was abit much for me, fwiw, but
a friend who I gave a jar to had the jar back to me eaten and rinsed out
within three days ! That's alot of toast and jam for sure.)

Rachael

Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

<scum ...>

> I use a couple drops of an anti-foam product that I get from my
> inside source in the food production industry.

Oooooh, trade secrets, you lucky thing. ;-)

It works pretty well;
> better, IME with jelly than with jam. And I don't mind skimming from
> jelly -- the jam can be a PITA. FWIW.

I've not met scum yet. Thought I've only done bramble jelly, and rhubarb and
gooseberry jam atm (the goosegog and rhubarb was abit much for me, fwiw, but
a friend who I gave a jar to had the jar back to me eaten and rinsed out
within three days ! That's alot of toast and jam for sure.)

Rachael

Melba's Jammin'

Rat" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>
> <scum ...>
>
> > I use a couple drops of an anti-foam product that I get from my
> > inside source in the food production industry.

> Oooooh, trade secrets, you lucky thing. ;-)
>
> It works pretty well;
> > better, IME with jelly than with jam. And I don't mind skimming from
> > jelly -- the jam can be a PITA. FWIW.

> I've not met scum yet. Thought I've only done bramble jelly, and rhubarb
> and
> gooseberry jam atm (the goosegog and rhubarb was abit much for me, fwiw,
> but
> a friend who I gave a jar to had the jar back to me eaten and rinsed out
> within three days ! That's alot of toast and jam for sure.)
>

> Rachael

But I'm nothing if not helpful. :-)
http://pacificpectin.com/orderpage.html
Maybe 2/3 of the way down the page, right side. :-)
(But mine was free.)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Melba's Jammin'

Rat" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>
> <scum ...>
>
> > I use a couple drops of an anti-foam product that I get from my
> > inside source in the food production industry.

> Oooooh, trade secrets, you lucky thing. ;-)
>
> It works pretty well;
> > better, IME with jelly than with jam. And I don't mind skimming from
> > jelly -- the jam can be a PITA. FWIW.

> I've not met scum yet. Thought I've only done bramble jelly, and rhubarb
> and
> gooseberry jam atm (the goosegog and rhubarb was abit much for me, fwiw,
> but
> a friend who I gave a jar to had the jar back to me eaten and rinsed out
> within three days ! That's alot of toast and jam for sure.)
>

> Rachael

But I'm nothing if not helpful. :-)
http://pacificpectin.com/orderpage.html
Maybe 2/3 of the way down the page, right side. :-)
(But mine was free.)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Derric

>> I use a couple drops of an anti-foam product that I get from my
>> inside source in the food production industry.

> Oooooh, trade secrets, you lucky thing. ;-)

Interesting thought... foam control agents are available, such as for
the homebrew beer crowd (to prevent overflow of the boil or the
fermenter). Look he http://www.morebeer.com/ and search for "foam
control" ...

Derric

>> I use a couple drops of an anti-foam product that I get from my
>> inside source in the food production industry.

> Oooooh, trade secrets, you lucky thing. ;-)

Interesting thought... foam control agents are available, such as for
the homebrew beer crowd (to prevent overflow of the boil or the
fermenter). Look he http://www.morebeer.com/ and search for "foam
control" ...

Derric