Peter Watson

Default Mesquite Powder?

A friend has asked me to see if I can find a thing they THINk is called
Mesquite Powder... have done a few searches and although lots there,
would like something specific. I believe that Tamarind Powder plays some
part, the rest don't know.

Peter Watson
Michael Kawalek

I just analyzed Mesquite powder for Salmonella a few weeks ago. It it
a floury dry tan colored powder that looks like its for baking. It
was from Mexico, so I think you should be able to find it at Mexican
shops. It shows no resemblence to Tamarind whatsoever and I don't
think it is interchangeable. It was negative for contamination by the
way.
Michael

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 15:47:37 +1000, Peter Watson
> wrote:

>A friend has asked me to see if I can find a thing they THINk is called
>Mesquite Powder... have done a few searches and although lots there,
>would like something specific. I believe that Tamarind Powder plays some
>part, the rest don't know.
>
>Peter Watson

The Joneses

Peter Watson wrote:

> A friend has asked me to see if I can find a thing they THINk is called
> Mesquite Powder... have done a few searches and although lots there,
> would like something specific. I believe that Tamarind Powder plays some
> part, the rest don't know.
>
> Peter Watson

Mesquite grows everywhere here, a tree (shrub in the desert?) of the acacia
family. I got a bag of beans and a recipe for Mesquite jelly which I will
share when I get some sleep. We just got home from a long road trip. Lots
of desert critters eat the bean pods. They really do taste sweet, about
like carob with a milder flavor. I think the beans are usuable somehow, but
not as sweet as the pods.
Edrena

The Joneses

Peter Watson wrote:

> A friend has asked me to see if I can find a thing they THINk is called
> Mesquite Powder... have done a few searches and although lots there,
> would like something specific. I believe that Tamarind Powder plays some
> part, the rest don't know.
>
> Peter Watson

Mesquite grows everywhere here, a tree (shrub in the desert?) of the acacia
family. I got a bag of beans and a recipe for Mesquite jelly which I will
share when I get some sleep. We just got home from a long road trip. Lots
of desert critters eat the bean pods. They really do taste sweet, about
like carob with a milder flavor. I think the beans are usuable somehow, but
not as sweet as the pods.
Edrena

George Shirley

The Joneses wrote:
> Peter Watson wrote:
>

>>A friend has asked me to see if I can find a thing they THINk is called
>>Mesquite Powder... have done a few searches and although lots there,
>>would like something specific. I believe that Tamarind Powder plays some
>>part, the rest don't know.
>>
>>Peter Watson

> Mesquite grows everywhere here, a tree (shrub in the desert?) of the acacia
> family. I got a bag of beans and a recipe for Mesquite jelly which I will
> share when I get some sleep. We just got home from a long road trip. Lots
> of desert critters eat the bean pods. They really do taste sweet, about
> like carob with a milder flavor. I think the beans are usuable somehow, but
> not as sweet as the pods.
> Edrena

I've seen horses, goats and sheep eat the pods, beans and all and heard
stories of travelers in south Texas eating the beans because they were
desperate for food. (Guess they never heard of nopales (prickly pear pads)).

George

George Shirley

The Joneses wrote:
> Peter Watson wrote:
>

>>A friend has asked me to see if I can find a thing they THINk is called
>>Mesquite Powder... have done a few searches and although lots there,
>>would like something specific. I believe that Tamarind Powder plays some
>>part, the rest don't know.
>>
>>Peter Watson

> Mesquite grows everywhere here, a tree (shrub in the desert?) of the acacia
> family. I got a bag of beans and a recipe for Mesquite jelly which I will
> share when I get some sleep. We just got home from a long road trip. Lots
> of desert critters eat the bean pods. They really do taste sweet, about
> like carob with a milder flavor. I think the beans are usuable somehow, but
> not as sweet as the pods.
> Edrena

I've seen horses, goats and sheep eat the pods, beans and all and heard
stories of travelers in south Texas eating the beans because they were
desperate for food. (Guess they never heard of nopales (prickly pear pads)).

George

Mesquite Pod Flour Sal Paradise General Cooking 0 29-07-2015 07:23 PM
Q: Mesquite Lump? Does it add mesquite flavor? Janet Wilder[_1_] Barbecue 13 16-06-2011 02:40 AM
Mesquite Beer The Joneses Preserving 0 19-05-2006 02:18 AM
Mesquite hyped? ceed Barbecue 44 01-08-2005 10:12 PM
mesquite powder/spice blend Peter Watson Barbecue 0 07-08-2004 12:26 PM