Default grrrrrr....

I messed up my peach jam! I forgot to add the pectin when it was called
for and added it later and now it didn't set up. I spent so much time on
this yesterday. Grrrrr....
Is there anything I can do to salvage it?
Thanks for any help.
dizzi

Derric

> I don't know why it is but out of all the jams, jellies and marmalades I've
> made over the past 3 decades I've more problems with peaches than anything...

I, too, had a peach jelly that didn't set. Some reference I read
suggested that they may have been too ripe and (I suppose) yielded too
much sugar and too little pectin (even with added pectin). I've not
tried to reprocess them yet. (They were certainly VERY ripe).

I think that was my problem too.......a little too ripe.....lots of juice.
I might just settle for the icecream topping. I bet this would be great on
pancakes or waffles too!
dizzi

"Derric" > wrote in message

> > I don't know why it is but out of all the jams, jellies and marmalades

I've
> > made over the past 3 decades I've more problems with peaches than

anything...

> I, too, had a peach jelly that didn't set. Some reference I read
> suggested that they may have been too ripe and (I suppose) yielded too
> much sugar and too little pectin (even with added pectin). I've not
> tried to reprocess them yet. (They were certainly VERY ripe).

Blanche Nonken

> wrote:

> I think that was my problem too.......a little too ripe.....lots of juice.
> I might just settle for the icecream topping. I bet this would be great on
> pancakes or waffles too!
> dizzi

I'd use it mixed in muffin batter (swirl a spoonful in each muffin tin
before baking) or even add it right to the cream when making ice cream
from scratch. Peach Vanilla Ice Cream, Yum!

> "Derric" > wrote in message
> >
> > > I don't know why it is but out of all the jams, jellies and marmalades

> I've
> > > made over the past 3 decades I've more problems with peaches than

> anything...
> >
> > I, too, had a peach jelly that didn't set. Some reference I read
> > suggested that they may have been too ripe and (I suppose) yielded too
> > much sugar and too little pectin (even with added pectin). I've not
> > tried to reprocess them yet. (They were certainly VERY ripe).

Casey Wilson

> wrote in message
> I messed up my peach jam! I forgot to add the pectin when it was called
> for and added it later and now it didn't set up. I spent so much time on
> this yesterday. Grrrrr....
> Is there anything I can do to salvage it?
> Thanks for any help.
> dizzi

Well, since I don't use pectin in peach jam, maybe I can help. Before
you start, have a set of clean jars and new caps ready. Put the jars in a
pot of water and let them simmer, the lids can be warmed in another sauce
pan or pot. You definitely don't want to ladle hot jam into cold jars nor
screw cold caps onto hot jars.
Dump all the old jam into a pot. Bring it up to a boil and stick a
candy thermometer in it. If you are at sea level, cook it until the
temperature gets up to 220°. At 3,000 feet above sea level cook it to 214.
Interpolate or extrapolate for altitudes in between.
Pour or ladle the re-cooked jam into jars and screw the caps down as
tight as you can. Set them up on the counter, right side up and out of
drafts. Don't disturb until the lids pop down.
Note that this does not require HWB or pressure canning.

Ross Reid

"Casey Wilson" > wrote:

> wrote in message
>> I messed up my peach jam! I forgot to add the pectin when it was called
>> for and added it later and now it didn't set up. I spent so much time on
>> this yesterday. Grrrrr....
>> Is there anything I can do to salvage it?
>> Thanks for any help.
>> dizzi

> Well, since I don't use pectin in peach jam, maybe I can help. Before
>you start, have a set of clean jars and new caps ready. Put the jars in a
>pot of water and let them simmer, the lids can be warmed in another sauce
>pan or pot. You definitely don't want to ladle hot jam into cold jars nor
>screw cold caps onto hot jars.
> Dump all the old jam into a pot. Bring it up to a boil and stick a
>candy thermometer in it. If you are at sea level, cook it until the
>temperature gets up to 220°. At 3,000 feet above sea level cook it to 214.
>Interpolate or extrapolate for altitudes in between.
> Pour or ladle the re-cooked jam into jars and screw the caps down as
>tight as you can. Set them up on the counter, right side up and out of
>drafts. Don't disturb until the lids pop down.
> Note that this does not require HWB or pressure canning.

Jams and jellies may not *require* Boiling Water Bath canning but,
doing so will certainly improve the chances of avoiding spoilage due
to mold.

Ross.

Ross Reid

"Casey Wilson" > wrote:

> wrote in message
>> I messed up my peach jam! I forgot to add the pectin when it was called
>> for and added it later and now it didn't set up. I spent so much time on
>> this yesterday. Grrrrr....
>> Is there anything I can do to salvage it?
>> Thanks for any help.
>> dizzi

> Well, since I don't use pectin in peach jam, maybe I can help. Before
>you start, have a set of clean jars and new caps ready. Put the jars in a
>pot of water and let them simmer, the lids can be warmed in another sauce
>pan or pot. You definitely don't want to ladle hot jam into cold jars nor
>screw cold caps onto hot jars.
> Dump all the old jam into a pot. Bring it up to a boil and stick a
>candy thermometer in it. If you are at sea level, cook it until the
>temperature gets up to 220°. At 3,000 feet above sea level cook it to 214.
>Interpolate or extrapolate for altitudes in between.
> Pour or ladle the re-cooked jam into jars and screw the caps down as
>tight as you can. Set them up on the counter, right side up and out of
>drafts. Don't disturb until the lids pop down.
> Note that this does not require HWB or pressure canning.

Jams and jellies may not *require* Boiling Water Bath canning but,
doing so will certainly improve the chances of avoiding spoilage due
to mold.

Ross.

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 14:00:51 -0400, Ross Reid >
wrote:

>"Casey Wilson" > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
>>> I messed up my peach jam! I forgot to add the pectin when it was called
>>> for and added it later and now it didn't set up. I spent so much time on
>>> this yesterday. Grrrrr....
>>> Is there anything I can do to salvage it?
>>> Thanks for any help.
>>> dizzi

>> Well, since I don't use pectin in peach jam, maybe I can help. Before
>>you start, have a set of clean jars and new caps ready. Put the jars in a
>>pot of water and let them simmer, the lids can be warmed in another sauce
>>pan or pot. You definitely don't want to ladle hot jam into cold jars nor
>>screw cold caps onto hot jars.
>> Dump all the old jam into a pot. Bring it up to a boil and stick a
>>candy thermometer in it. If you are at sea level, cook it until the
>>temperature gets up to 220°. At 3,000 feet above sea level cook it to 214.
>>Interpolate or extrapolate for altitudes in between.
>> Pour or ladle the re-cooked jam into jars and screw the caps down as
>>tight as you can. Set them up on the counter, right side up and out of
>>drafts. Don't disturb until the lids pop down.
>> Note that this does not require HWB or pressure canning.

>Jams and jellies may not *require* Boiling Water Bath canning but,
>doing so will certainly improve the chances of avoiding spoilage due
>to mold.
>
>Ross.

You know, I keep hearing that but I have made hundreds of jars of jam
over the past 20 years, do not BWB (it's not the usual practice in
this country), and I have NEVER had any mould spoilage. I'm not
saying it couldn't happen, but I do wonder how common a problem it
really is.
CJ

wrote:

>"Casey Wilson" > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
>>> I messed up my peach jam! I forgot to add the pectin when it was called
>>> for and added it later and now it didn't set up. I spent so much time on
>>> this yesterday. Grrrrr....
>>> Is there anything I can do to salvage it?
>>> Thanks for any help.
>>> dizzi

>> Well, since I don't use pectin in peach jam, maybe I can help. Before
>>you start, have a set of clean jars and new caps ready. Put the jars in a
>>pot of water and let them simmer, the lids can be warmed in another sauce
>>pan or pot. You definitely don't want to ladle hot jam into cold jars nor
>>screw cold caps onto hot jars.
>> Dump all the old jam into a pot. Bring it up to a boil and stick a
>>candy thermometer in it. If you are at sea level, cook it until the
>>temperature gets up to 220°. At 3,000 feet above sea level cook it to 214.
>>Interpolate or extrapolate for altitudes in between.
>> Pour or ladle the re-cooked jam into jars and screw the caps down as
>>tight as you can. Set them up on the counter, right side up and out of
>>drafts. Don't disturb until the lids pop down.
>> Note that this does not require HWB or pressure canning.

>Jams and jellies may not *require* Boiling Water Bath canning but,
>doing so will certainly improve the chances of avoiding spoilage due
>to mold.
>
>Ross.

You know, I keep hearing that but I have made hundreds of jars of jam
over the past 20 years, do not BWB (it's not the usual practice in
this country), and I have NEVER had any mould spoilage. I'm not
saying it couldn't happen, but I do wonder how common a problem it
really is.
CJ
Blanche Nonken

wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 14:00:51 -0400, Ross Reid >
> wrote:

> >> Well, since I don't use pectin in peach jam, maybe I can help. Before
> >>you start, have a set of clean jars and new caps ready. Put the jars in a
> >>pot of water and let them simmer, the lids can be warmed in another sauce
> >>pan or pot. You definitely don't want to ladle hot jam into cold jars nor
> >>screw cold caps onto hot jars.
> >> Dump all the old jam into a pot. Bring it up to a boil and stick a
> >>candy thermometer in it. If you are at sea level, cook it until the
> >>temperature gets up to 220°. At 3,000 feet above sea level cook it to 214.
> >>Interpolate or extrapolate for altitudes in between.
> >> Pour or ladle the re-cooked jam into jars and screw the caps down as
> >>tight as you can. Set them up on the counter, right side up and out of
> >>drafts. Don't disturb until the lids pop down.
> >> Note that this does not require HWB or pressure canning.

> >Jams and jellies may not *require* Boiling Water Bath canning but,
> >doing so will certainly improve the chances of avoiding spoilage due
> >to mold.
> >
> >Ross.

> You know, I keep hearing that but I have made hundreds of jars of jam
> over the past 20 years, do not BWB (it's not the usual practice in
> this country), and I have NEVER had any mould spoilage. I'm not
> saying it couldn't happen, but I do wonder how common a problem it
> really is.

It could depend on the weather and what's naturally present in the air.
Around here, it's cold and dry in the winters so things would keep that
long, but summers are hot and humid, and stuff will mold at the drop of
a hat.

I wouldn't *not* BWB, it's just the routine when canning, and I don't
trust our summers at least.
Blanche Nonken

wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 14:00:51 -0400, Ross Reid >
> wrote:

> >> Well, since I don't use pectin in peach jam, maybe I can help. Before
> >>you start, have a set of clean jars and new caps ready. Put the jars in a
> >>pot of water and let them simmer, the lids can be warmed in another sauce
> >>pan or pot. You definitely don't want to ladle hot jam into cold jars nor
> >>screw cold caps onto hot jars.
> >> Dump all the old jam into a pot. Bring it up to a boil and stick a
> >>candy thermometer in it. If you are at sea level, cook it until the
> >>temperature gets up to 220°. At 3,000 feet above sea level cook it to 214.
> >>Interpolate or extrapolate for altitudes in between.
> >> Pour or ladle the re-cooked jam into jars and screw the caps down as
> >>tight as you can. Set them up on the counter, right side up and out of
> >>drafts. Don't disturb until the lids pop down.
> >> Note that this does not require HWB or pressure canning.

> >Jams and jellies may not *require* Boiling Water Bath canning but,
> >doing so will certainly improve the chances of avoiding spoilage due
> >to mold.
> >
> >Ross.

> You know, I keep hearing that but I have made hundreds of jars of jam
> over the past 20 years, do not BWB (it's not the usual practice in
> this country), and I have NEVER had any mould spoilage. I'm not
> saying it couldn't happen, but I do wonder how common a problem it
> really is.

It could depend on the weather and what's naturally present in the air.
Around here, it's cold and dry in the winters so things would keep that
long, but summers are hot and humid, and stuff will mold at the drop of
a hat.

I wouldn't *not* BWB, it's just the routine when canning, and I don't
trust our summers at least.

Wayne

wrote in
:

> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 14:00:51 -0400, Ross Reid >
> wrote:

>>> Well, since I don't use pectin in peach jam, maybe I can help.
>>> Before
>>>you start, have a set of clean jars and new caps ready. Put the jars
>>>in a pot of water and let them simmer, the lids can be warmed in
>>>another sauce pan or pot. You definitely don't want to ladle hot jam
>>>into cold jars nor screw cold caps onto hot jars.
>>> Dump all the old jam into a pot. Bring it up to a boil and stick
>>>candy thermometer in it. If you are at sea level, cook it until the
>>>temperature gets up to 220°. At 3,000 feet above sea level cook it to
>>>214. Interpolate or extrapolate for altitudes in between.
>>> Pour or ladle the re-cooked jam into jars and screw the caps down
>>> as
>>>tight as you can. Set them up on the counter, right side up and out
>>>of drafts. Don't disturb until the lids pop down.
>>> Note that this does not require HWB or pressure canning.

>>Jams and jellies may not *require* Boiling Water Bath canning but,
>>doing so will certainly improve the chances of avoiding spoilage due
>>to mold.
>>
>>Ross.

> You know, I keep hearing that but I have made hundreds of jars of jam
> over the past 20 years, do not BWB (it's not the usual practice in
> this country), and I have NEVER had any mould spoilage. I'm not
> saying it couldn't happen, but I do wonder how common a problem it
> really is.
> CJ

I don't BWB jams either and have never had a problem. However, when
giving a recipe to someone else, I always include the accepted process of
BWB. I also don't BWB most pickles either if they are hot-packed and
have sufficient vinegar (I almost never add much water) or vinegar/sugar
mixture. Never a failure. I usually invert for half an hour, then turn
the jars upright.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Wayne

wrote in
:

> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 14:00:51 -0400, Ross Reid >
> wrote:

>>> Well, since I don't use pectin in peach jam, maybe I can help.
>>> Before
>>>you start, have a set of clean jars and new caps ready. Put the jars
>>>in a pot of water and let them simmer, the lids can be warmed in
>>>another sauce pan or pot. You definitely don't want to ladle hot jam
>>>into cold jars nor screw cold caps onto hot jars.
>>> Dump all the old jam into a pot. Bring it up to a boil and stick
>>>candy thermometer in it. If you are at sea level, cook it until the
>>>temperature gets up to 220°. At 3,000 feet above sea level cook it to
>>>214. Interpolate or extrapolate for altitudes in between.
>>> Pour or ladle the re-cooked jam into jars and screw the caps down
>>> as
>>>tight as you can. Set them up on the counter, right side up and out
>>>of drafts. Don't disturb until the lids pop down.
>>> Note that this does not require HWB or pressure canning.

>>Jams and jellies may not *require* Boiling Water Bath canning but,
>>doing so will certainly improve the chances of avoiding spoilage due
>>to mold.
>>
>>Ross.

> You know, I keep hearing that but I have made hundreds of jars of jam
> over the past 20 years, do not BWB (it's not the usual practice in
> this country), and I have NEVER had any mould spoilage. I'm not
> saying it couldn't happen, but I do wonder how common a problem it
> really is.
> CJ

I don't BWB jams either and have never had a problem. However, when
giving a recipe to someone else, I always include the accepted process of
BWB. I also don't BWB most pickles either if they are hot-packed and
have sufficient vinegar (I almost never add much water) or vinegar/sugar
mixture. Never a failure. I usually invert for half an hour, then turn
the jars upright.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

Sounds good....I will try this

"Casey Wilson" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> > I messed up my peach jam! I forgot to add the pectin when it was

called
> > for and added it later and now it didn't set up. I spent so much time

on
> > this yesterday. Grrrrr....
> > Is there anything I can do to salvage it?
> > Thanks for any help.
> > dizzi

> Well, since I don't use pectin in peach jam, maybe I can help. Before
> you start, have a set of clean jars and new caps ready. Put the jars in a
> pot of water and let them simmer, the lids can be warmed in another sauce
> pan or pot. You definitely don't want to ladle hot jam into cold jars nor
> screw cold caps onto hot jars.
> Dump all the old jam into a pot. Bring it up to a boil and stick a
> candy thermometer in it. If you are at sea level, cook it until the
> temperature gets up to 220°. At 3,000 feet above sea level cook it to 214.
> Interpolate or extrapolate for altitudes in between.
> Pour or ladle the re-cooked jam into jars and screw the caps down as
> tight as you can. Set them up on the counter, right side up and out of
> drafts. Don't disturb until the lids pop down.
> Note that this does not require HWB or pressure canning.

Sounds good....I will try this

"Casey Wilson" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> > I messed up my peach jam! I forgot to add the pectin when it was

called
> > for and added it later and now it didn't set up. I spent so much time

on
> > this yesterday. Grrrrr....
> > Is there anything I can do to salvage it?
> > Thanks for any help.
> > dizzi

> Well, since I don't use pectin in peach jam, maybe I can help. Before
> you start, have a set of clean jars and new caps ready. Put the jars in a
> pot of water and let them simmer, the lids can be warmed in another sauce
> pan or pot. You definitely don't want to ladle hot jam into cold jars nor
> screw cold caps onto hot jars.
> Dump all the old jam into a pot. Bring it up to a boil and stick a
> candy thermometer in it. If you are at sea level, cook it until the
> temperature gets up to 220°. At 3,000 feet above sea level cook it to 214.
> Interpolate or extrapolate for altitudes in between.
> Pour or ladle the re-cooked jam into jars and screw the caps down as
> tight as you can. Set them up on the counter, right side up and out of
> drafts. Don't disturb until the lids pop down.
> Note that this does not require HWB or pressure canning.

Do you turn the jars upside down for 5 min or just let them 'ping' right
side up?

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 00:19:47 -0400, > wrote:

>Do you turn the jars upside down for 5 min or just let them 'ping' right
>side up?
>

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 14:00:51 -0400, Ross Reid >
>> wrote:

>called

>time on

>Before

>sauce

>nor

>214.
>> >
>> >Jams and jellies may not *require* Boiling Water Bath canning but,
>> >doing so will certainly improve the chances of avoiding spoilage due
>> >to mold.
>> >
>> >Ross.

>> You know, I keep hearing that but I have made hundreds of jars of jam
>> over the past 20 years, do not BWB (it's not the usual practice in
>> this country), and I have NEVER had any mould spoilage. I'm not
>> saying it couldn't happen, but I do wonder how common a problem it
>> really is.
>> CJ

I have the washed jars in the oven for at least an hour at 120C, or
longer if it takes the jam longer to make. I have the clean, screw-on
type lids simmering on top of the stove. I pack the hot jam into the
hot jars and immediately seal with a hot lid. If I don't have a
screw-on lid, I use a dampened cellophane circle stretched tight and
cinched with a small rubber band (a common sealing practice here). As
the cellophane dries from the heat, it shrinks and seals to the rim of
the jar. I don't turn it upside down, just let it cool on a wooden
bread board. As I said, I never get mould, and it gets fairly humid
in summer here too.
CJ

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 00:19:47 -0400, > wrote:

>Do you turn the jars upside down for 5 min or just let them 'ping' right
>side up?
>

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 14:00:51 -0400, Ross Reid >
>> wrote:

>called

>time on

>Before

>sauce

>nor

>214.
>> >
>> >Jams and jellies may not *require* Boiling Water Bath canning but,
>> >doing so will certainly improve the chances of avoiding spoilage due
>> >to mold.
>> >
>> >Ross.

>> You know, I keep hearing that but I have made hundreds of jars of jam
>> over the past 20 years, do not BWB (it's not the usual practice in
>> this country), and I have NEVER had any mould spoilage. I'm not
>> saying it couldn't happen, but I do wonder how common a problem it
>> really is.
>> CJ

I have the washed jars in the oven for at least an hour at 120C, or
longer if it takes the jam longer to make. I have the clean, screw-on
type lids simmering on top of the stove. I pack the hot jam into the
hot jars and immediately seal with a hot lid. If I don't have a
screw-on lid, I use a dampened cellophane circle stretched tight and
cinched with a small rubber band (a common sealing practice here). As
the cellophane dries from the heat, it shrinks and seals to the rim of
the jar. I don't turn it upside down, just let it cool on a wooden
bread board. As I said, I never get mould, and it gets fairly humid
in summer here too.
CJ
Casey Wilson

> wrote in message
> Do you turn the jars upside down for 5 min or just let them 'ping' right
> side up?

Right-side up works for me.

Casey Wilson

> wrote in message
> Do you turn the jars upside down for 5 min or just let them 'ping' right
> side up?

Right-side up works for me.