Dwayne

Default Dilly beans

Would someone please share their favorite recipe on how to make these? I
would like one that doesn't need to be pressure canned. Is that possible
without having to add a lot if vinegar?

Dwayne

Wayne

"Dwayne" > wrote in
:

> Would someone please share their favorite recipe on how to make
> these? I would like one that doesn't need to be pressure canned. Is
> that possible without having to add a lot if vinegar?
>
> Dwayne

No, IME, you either have to have a very high acid content (lots of
vinegar), or you must pressure can them. Even if you pressure can them,
without adequate vinegar they will not really have a long shelf life once
they're opened.

Having said that, you might investigate various types of vinegar since some
"taste" more acidic or "vinegary" or stronger than others. The main thing
is that the vinegar needs to have at least 5-7% acidity.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
The Joneses

Wayne wrote:

> "Dwayne" > wrote in
> :
>
> > Would someone please share their favorite recipe on how to make
> > these? I would like one that doesn't need to be pressure canned. Is
> > that possible without having to add a lot if vinegar?
> >
> > Dwayne

> No, IME, you either have to have a very high acid content (lots of
> vinegar), or you must pressure can them. Even if you pressure can them,
> without adequate vinegar they will not really have a long shelf life once
> they're opened.
>
> Having said that, you might investigate various types of vinegar since some
> "taste" more acidic or "vinegary" or stronger than others. The main thing
> is that the vinegar needs to have at least 5-7% acidity.

IMO white wine vinegar has a smoother taste than regular white vinegar. Rice
and rice wine vinegar have a sweeter taste, but check to make sure the acidity
is at least 5% or lower. Cider vinegar has a very sweet, apple-y taste and may
not be appropriate for beans. I like my "dilly" beans with tarragon or basil
best. All that said, you might want to experiment with various refrigerator or
freezer pickle recipes, substituting green beans. They sometimes have lower
acidity, but keep fairly well for days or weeks in the fridge (longer in the
freezer I guess). I love refrigerator sugar snap peas (or parboiled/blanched
carrots) with garlic and one of cilantro, basil (yum), tarragon, fresh dill or
dill seed, and even bay leaf. Joy of Pickling has these recipes and lots of
others. I've posted this one befo
_Joy of Pickling_, Linda Ziedrich, The Harvard Common Press, c. 1998
> Pickled Sugar Snap Peas
> Makes 1 quart
> 1 1/4 cups white wine vinegar
> 1 1/4 cups water
> 1 tablespoon pickling salt
> 1 tablespoon sugar
> 1 pound sugar snap peas, stemmed and strung
> 4 garlic cloves, sliced
> 1 or 2 small dried chile peppers, slit lengthwise
> 2 tarragon sprigs
> 1. In a nonreactive saucepan, bring to a boil the vinegar,
> water, salt, and sugar, stirring to dissolve the salt and sugar.
> Let the liquid cool.
> 2. Pack the peas, garlic, chile peppers, and tarragon into a
> 1-quart jar. Pour the cooled liquid over the peas, and cover
> the jar with a nonreactive cap.
> 3. Store the jar in the refrigerator for at least 2 weeks before
> eating the peas. Refrigerated, they will keep for several months.

The Joneses

Wayne wrote:

> "Dwayne" > wrote in
> :
>
> > Would someone please share their favorite recipe on how to make
> > these? I would like one that doesn't need to be pressure canned. Is
> > that possible without having to add a lot if vinegar?
> >
> > Dwayne

> No, IME, you either have to have a very high acid content (lots of
> vinegar), or you must pressure can them. Even if you pressure can them,
> without adequate vinegar they will not really have a long shelf life once
> they're opened.
>
> Having said that, you might investigate various types of vinegar since some
> "taste" more acidic or "vinegary" or stronger than others. The main thing
> is that the vinegar needs to have at least 5-7% acidity.

IMO white wine vinegar has a smoother taste than regular white vinegar. Rice
and rice wine vinegar have a sweeter taste, but check to make sure the acidity
is at least 5% or lower. Cider vinegar has a very sweet, apple-y taste and may
not be appropriate for beans. I like my "dilly" beans with tarragon or basil
best. All that said, you might want to experiment with various refrigerator or
freezer pickle recipes, substituting green beans. They sometimes have lower
acidity, but keep fairly well for days or weeks in the fridge (longer in the
freezer I guess). I love refrigerator sugar snap peas (or parboiled/blanched
carrots) with garlic and one of cilantro, basil (yum), tarragon, fresh dill or
dill seed, and even bay leaf. Joy of Pickling has these recipes and lots of
others. I've posted this one befo
_Joy of Pickling_, Linda Ziedrich, The Harvard Common Press, c. 1998
> Pickled Sugar Snap Peas
> Makes 1 quart
> 1 1/4 cups white wine vinegar
> 1 1/4 cups water
> 1 tablespoon pickling salt
> 1 tablespoon sugar
> 1 pound sugar snap peas, stemmed and strung
> 4 garlic cloves, sliced
> 1 or 2 small dried chile peppers, slit lengthwise
> 2 tarragon sprigs
> 1. In a nonreactive saucepan, bring to a boil the vinegar,
> water, salt, and sugar, stirring to dissolve the salt and sugar.
> Let the liquid cool.
> 2. Pack the peas, garlic, chile peppers, and tarragon into a
> 1-quart jar. Pour the cooled liquid over the peas, and cover
> the jar with a nonreactive cap.
> 3. Store the jar in the refrigerator for at least 2 weeks before
> eating the peas. Refrigerated, they will keep for several months.

nutNhoney

Default Vinegar Question Dilly beans

:

>>>Would someone please share their favorite recipe on how to make
>>>these? I would like one that doesn't need to be pressure canned. Is
>>>that possible without having to add a lot if vinegar?
>>>
>>>Dwayne

>>No, IME, you either have to have a very high acid content (lots of
>>vinegar), or you must pressure can them. Even if you pressure can them,
>>without adequate vinegar they will not really have a long shelf life once
>>they're opened.
>>
>>Having said that, you might investigate various types of vinegar since some
>>"taste" more acidic or "vinegary" or stronger than others. The main thing
>>is that the vinegar needs to have at least 5-7% acidity.

> IMO white wine vinegar has a smoother taste than regular white vinegar. Rice
> and rice wine vinegar have a sweeter taste, but check to make sure the acidity
> is at least 5% or lower. Cider vinegar has a very sweet, apple-y taste and may
> not be appropriate for beans. I like my "dilly" beans with tarragon or basil
> best. All that said, you might want to experiment with various refrigerator or
> freezer pickle recipes, substituting green beans. They sometimes have lower
> acidity, but keep fairly well for days or weeks in the fridge (longer in the
> freezer I guess). I love refrigerator sugar snap peas (or parboiled/blanched
> carrots) with garlic and one of cilantro, basil (yum), tarragon, fresh dill or
> dill seed, and even bay leaf. Joy of Pickling has these recipes and lots of
> others. I've posted this one befo

A question: The majority of my pickling recipes call for white vinegar.
Is it ok to substitute vinegars? That would really widen the
possibilities!

The Joneses

nutNhoney wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
>
> > Wayne wrote:
> >

> >>"Dwayne" > wrote in
> :

> >>No, IME, you either have to have a very high acid content (lots of
> >>vinegar), or you must pressure can them. Even if you pressure can them,
> >>without adequate vinegar they will not really have a long shelf life once
> >>they're opened.
> >>
> >>Having said that, you might investigate various types of vinegar since some
> >>"taste" more acidic or "vinegary" or stronger than others. The main thing
> >>is that the vinegar needs to have at least 5-7% acidity.

> > IMO white wine vinegar has a smoother taste than regular white vinegar. Rice
> > and rice wine vinegar have a sweeter taste, but check to make sure the acidity
> > is at least 5% or lower. Cider vinegar has a very sweet, apple-y taste and may
> > not be appropriate for beans. I like my "dilly" beans with tarragon or basil
> > best. All that said, you might want to experiment with various refrigerator or
> > freezer pickle recipes, substituting green beans. They sometimes have lower
> > acidity, but keep fairly well for days or weeks in the fridge (longer in the
> > freezer I guess). I love refrigerator sugar snap peas (or parboiled/blanched
> > carrots) with garlic and one of cilantro, basil (yum), tarragon, fresh dill or
> > dill seed, and even bay leaf. Joy of Pickling has these recipes and lots of
> > others. I've posted this one befo

> A question: The majority of my pickling recipes call for white vinegar.
> Is it ok to substitute vinegars? That would really widen the
> possibilities!

Absoluters. But be sure to check that the vinegar is at least 5% acidity, or plan on
keeping in the fridge and checking for spoilage before you eats it. I actually bought
small bottles of various vinegars to see if I could taste the differments. The
balsamic vinegars are very strong and $$$ and probly best kept for condiments.
And then -- check around for recipes and Make Your Own Flavored vinegars! One of my
favorites was habenero vinegar. Beautiful orange slices of chile, clear vinegar and
boy is it hot. Great stuff on cassaroles and soup, especially when your communist
relatives don't do hot stuff.
Edrena

The Joneses

nutNhoney wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
>
> > Wayne wrote:
> >

> >>"Dwayne" > wrote in
> :

> >>No, IME, you either have to have a very high acid content (lots of
> >>vinegar), or you must pressure can them. Even if you pressure can them,
> >>without adequate vinegar they will not really have a long shelf life once
> >>they're opened.
> >>
> >>Having said that, you might investigate various types of vinegar since some
> >>"taste" more acidic or "vinegary" or stronger than others. The main thing
> >>is that the vinegar needs to have at least 5-7% acidity.

> > IMO white wine vinegar has a smoother taste than regular white vinegar. Rice
> > and rice wine vinegar have a sweeter taste, but check to make sure the acidity
> > is at least 5% or lower. Cider vinegar has a very sweet, apple-y taste and may
> > not be appropriate for beans. I like my "dilly" beans with tarragon or basil
> > best. All that said, you might want to experiment with various refrigerator or
> > freezer pickle recipes, substituting green beans. They sometimes have lower
> > acidity, but keep fairly well for days or weeks in the fridge (longer in the
> > freezer I guess). I love refrigerator sugar snap peas (or parboiled/blanched
> > carrots) with garlic and one of cilantro, basil (yum), tarragon, fresh dill or
> > dill seed, and even bay leaf. Joy of Pickling has these recipes and lots of
> > others. I've posted this one befo

> A question: The majority of my pickling recipes call for white vinegar.
> Is it ok to substitute vinegars? That would really widen the
> possibilities!

Absoluters. But be sure to check that the vinegar is at least 5% acidity, or plan on
keeping in the fridge and checking for spoilage before you eats it. I actually bought
small bottles of various vinegars to see if I could taste the differments. The
balsamic vinegars are very strong and $$$ and probly best kept for condiments.
And then -- check around for recipes and Make Your Own Flavored vinegars! One of my
favorites was habenero vinegar. Beautiful orange slices of chile, clear vinegar and
boy is it hot. Great stuff on cassaroles and soup, especially when your communist
relatives don't do hot stuff.
Edrena

Wayne

nutNhoney > wrote in
:

> The Joneses wrote:
>
>> Wayne wrote:
>>

>>>"Dwayne" > wrote in
m:

>>>No, IME, you either have to have a very high acid content (lots of
>>>vinegar), or you must pressure can them. Even if you pressure can
>>>them, without adequate vinegar they will not really have a long shelf
>>>life once they're opened.
>>>
>>>Having said that, you might investigate various types of vinegar
>>>since some "taste" more acidic or "vinegary" or stronger than others.
>>> The main thing is that the vinegar needs to have at least 5-7%
>>>acidity.

>> IMO white wine vinegar has a smoother taste than regular white
>> vinegar. Rice and rice wine vinegar have a sweeter taste, but check
>> to make sure the acidity is at least 5% or lower. Cider vinegar has
>> a very sweet, apple-y taste and may not be appropriate for beans. I
>> like my "dilly" beans with tarragon or basil best. All that said,
>> you might want to experiment with various refrigerator or freezer
>> pickle recipes, substituting green beans. They sometimes have lower
>> acidity, but keep fairly well for days or weeks in the fridge (longer
>> in the freezer I guess). I love refrigerator sugar snap peas (or
>> parboiled/blanched carrots) with garlic and one of cilantro, basil
>> (yum), tarragon, fresh dill or dill seed, and even bay leaf. Joy of
>> Pickling has these recipes and lots of others. I've posted this one
>> befo

> A question: The majority of my pickling recipes call for white
> vinegar.
> Is it ok to substitute vinegars? That would really widen the
> possibilities!

Absolutely. You can use virtually any type of vinegar as long as the
strength is at least 5%.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
nutNhoney

The Joneses wrote:

>>A question: The majority of my pickling recipes call for white vinegar.
>> Is it ok to substitute vinegars? That would really widen the
>>possibilities!

> Absoluters. But be sure to check that the vinegar is at least 5% acidity, or plan on
> keeping in the fridge and checking for spoilage before you eats it. I actually bought
> small bottles of various vinegars to see if I could taste the differments. The
> balsamic vinegars are very strong and $$$ and probly best kept for condiments.
> And then -- check around for recipes and Make Your Own Flavored vinegars! One of my
> favorites was habenero vinegar. Beautiful orange slices of chile, clear vinegar and
> boy is it hot. Great stuff on cassaroles and soup, especially when your communist
> relatives don't do hot stuff.

Oh boy! Am I going to have fun now! Thanks for the tips. The habenero
vinegar sounds nice. I have some growing in the garden so will make a
batch of that too.

> Edrena

nutNhoney

The Joneses wrote:

>>A question: The majority of my pickling recipes call for white vinegar.
>> Is it ok to substitute vinegars? That would really widen the
>>possibilities!

> Absoluters. But be sure to check that the vinegar is at least 5% acidity, or plan on
> keeping in the fridge and checking for spoilage before you eats it. I actually bought
> small bottles of various vinegars to see if I could taste the differments. The
> balsamic vinegars are very strong and $$$ and probly best kept for condiments.
> And then -- check around for recipes and Make Your Own Flavored vinegars! One of my
> favorites was habenero vinegar. Beautiful orange slices of chile, clear vinegar and
> boy is it hot. Great stuff on cassaroles and soup, especially when your communist
> relatives don't do hot stuff.

Oh boy! Am I going to have fun now! Thanks for the tips. The habenero
vinegar sounds nice. I have some growing in the garden so will make a
batch of that too.

> Edrena

The Joneses

nutNhoney wrote:

> Oh boy! Am I going to have fun now! Thanks for the tips. The habenero
> vinegar sounds nice. I have some growing in the garden so will make a
> batch of that too.

I did remove the white-ish ribs & seeds and sliced the habs in uniform slices. Do wear
gloves and never ever scratch your eyes after playing with peppers.
Edrena

The Joneses

nutNhoney wrote:

> Oh boy! Am I going to have fun now! Thanks for the tips. The habenero
> vinegar sounds nice. I have some growing in the garden so will make a
> batch of that too.

I did remove the white-ish ribs & seeds and sliced the habs in uniform slices. Do wear
gloves and never ever scratch your eyes after playing with peppers.
Edrena

Wayne

The Joneses > wrote in
:

> nutNhoney wrote:
>
>> Oh boy! Am I going to have fun now! Thanks for the tips. The
>> habenero vinegar sounds nice. I have some growing in the garden so
>> will make a batch of that too.

> I did remove the white-ish ribs & seeds and sliced the habs in uniform
> slices. Do wear gloves and never ever scratch your eyes after playing
> with peppers. Edrena

They can also be pickled whole, Edrena, like cherry peppers.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Wayne

The Joneses > wrote in
:

> nutNhoney wrote:
>
>> Oh boy! Am I going to have fun now! Thanks for the tips. The
>> habenero vinegar sounds nice. I have some growing in the garden so
>> will make a batch of that too.

> I did remove the white-ish ribs & seeds and sliced the habs in uniform
> slices. Do wear gloves and never ever scratch your eyes after playing
> with peppers. Edrena

They can also be pickled whole, Edrena, like cherry peppers.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Brian Mailman

The Joneses wrote:

> I did remove the white-ish ribs & seeds and sliced the habs in uniform slices. Do wear
> gloves and never ever scratch your eyes after playing with peppers.

There's some other things at the other end you should never do as well
unless your hands have been thoroughly washed first.

B/

Brian Mailman

Dilly beans Ross@home Preserving 2 08-09-2012 02:41 AM
Dilly beans George Shirley[_2_] Preserving 7 26-06-2012 05:08 PM
Dilly beans Ross@home Preserving 1 06-08-2011 02:42 PM
Dilly beans George Shirley Preserving 14 01-03-2010 03:31 PM
Dilly Beans Wayne Boatwright Preserving 2 23-02-2004 12:44 AM