Old 15-07-2004, 01:47 PM
Pete

Default What part of Dill do I use with refrigerator pickles?

I planted around 50 cucumber vines this spring.
Also a few rows of dill.

Now that I have some small pickles coming in, I want to make some
refrigerator pickles.

The dill I have currently is getting ready to flower.

Do I use the leaves? Stems? Flowers? Or do I have to wait for the
seeds?

Old 15-07-2004, 04:20 PM
zxcvbob

Pete wrote:

I planted around 50 cucumber vines this spring.
Also a few rows of dill.

Now that I have some small pickles coming in, I want to make some
refrigerator pickles.

The dill I have currently is getting ready to flower.

Do I use the leaves? Stems? Flowers? Or do I have to wait for the
seeds?

You use the whole plant. (Maybe not the roots.) I haven't made dill
pickles in a few years, but I usually use the dill flowers or immature
seeds or whatever stage the tops are when the cukes are ready, plus a
few pieces of the stems cut into 2-or-3 inch sections.

Bob

Old 15-07-2004, 06:21 PM
George Shirley

zxcvbob wrote:
Pete wrote:

I planted around 50 cucumber vines this spring.
Also a few rows of dill.

Now that I have some small pickles coming in, I want to make some
refrigerator pickles.

The dill I have currently is getting ready to flower.

Do I use the leaves? Stems? Flowers? Or do I have to wait for the
seeds?

You use the whole plant. (Maybe not the roots.) I haven't made dill
pickles in a few years, but I usually use the dill flowers or immature
seeds or whatever stage the tops are when the cukes are ready, plus a
few pieces of the stems cut into 2-or-3 inch sections.

Bob

I grow, harvest at leaf stage, and dehydrate fern leaf dill just for
making pickles. To me it has a stronger dill taste and is more
attractive in the jar than either the regular dill or the seeds. If I
have to use dried seeds I usually crush them to release a stronger dill
flavor. YMMV

George

Old 15-07-2004, 06:35 PM
The Joneses

zxcvbob wrote:

Pete wrote:

I planted around 50 cucumber vines this spring.
Also a few rows of dill.

Now that I have some small pickles coming in, I want to make some
refrigerator pickles.

The dill I have currently is getting ready to flower.

Do I use the leaves? Stems? Flowers? Or do I have to wait for the
seeds?

You use the whole plant. (Maybe not the roots.) I haven't made dill
pickles in a few years, but I usually use the dill flowers or immature
seeds or whatever stage the tops are when the cukes are ready, plus a
few pieces of the stems cut into 2-or-3 inch sections.

Bob

I've had good luck with freezing all or part of the plants, then throw
frozen parts into pickles. They taste as good as fresh.
Edrena

Old 19-07-2004, 03:57 PM
zxcvbob

ellen wickberg wrote:
in article , Pete at
wrote on 19/7/04 5:39 AM:

I ended up doing 5 quart jars on Sat, all fresh from the garden.

2 jars small pickles with garic onion dill
1 jars sliced cucumbers with garic onion dill
1 jar small pickles and whole hungarian hot peppers
1 jar with sliced cucumbers and hungarian hot peppers.

I prepared the standard type brine I saw on the newsgroup

think it was one part vinegar, 4 parts water, 1 cup salt

The Joneses wrote in message

zxcvbob wrote:

Pete wrote:

I planted around 50 cucumber vines this spring.
Also a few rows of dill.

Now that I have some small pickles coming in, I want to make some
refrigerator pickles.

The dill I have currently is getting ready to flower.

Do I use the leaves? Stems? Flowers? Or do I have to wait for the
seeds?

You use the whole plant. (Maybe not the roots.) I haven't made dill
pickles in a few years, but I usually use the dill flowers or immature
seeds or whatever stage the tops are when the cukes are ready, plus a
few pieces of the stems cut into 2-or-3 inch sections.

Bob

I've had good luck with freezing all or part of the plants, then throw
frozen parts into pickles. They taste as good as fresh.
Edrena

that sounds quite light on the vinegar
ellen

And (depending on what a "part" is) quite heavy on the salt.

Good luck,
Bob

Dill pickles Dig Preserving 2 31-12-2007 06:06 PM
Need recipe for refrigerator pickles Diane M General Cooking 21 19-06-2006 01:09 PM
Refrigerator pickles Diane M Preserving 2 17-06-2006 10:53 PM
Dill pickles Dig Preserving 0 21-03-2005 05:06 PM
Dill Pickles Dark Jedi General Cooking 1 11-07-2004 02:41 PM