Pete

Default What part of Dill do I use with refrigerator pickles?

I planted around 50 cucumber vines this spring.
Also a few rows of dill.

Now that I have some small pickles coming in, I want to make some
refrigerator pickles.

The dill I have currently is getting ready to flower.

Do I use the leaves? Stems? Flowers? Or do I have to wait for the
seeds?
zxcvbob

Pete wrote:

> I planted around 50 cucumber vines this spring.
> Also a few rows of dill.
>
> Now that I have some small pickles coming in, I want to make some
> refrigerator pickles.
>
> The dill I have currently is getting ready to flower.
>
> Do I use the leaves? Stems? Flowers? Or do I have to wait for the
> seeds?

You use the whole plant. (Maybe not the roots.) I haven't made dill
pickles in a few years, but I usually use the dill flowers or immature
seeds or whatever stage the tops are when the cukes are ready, plus a
few pieces of the stems cut into 2-or-3 inch sections.

Bob
zxcvbob

Pete wrote:

> I planted around 50 cucumber vines this spring.
> Also a few rows of dill.
>
> Now that I have some small pickles coming in, I want to make some
> refrigerator pickles.
>
> The dill I have currently is getting ready to flower.
>
> Do I use the leaves? Stems? Flowers? Or do I have to wait for the
> seeds?

You use the whole plant. (Maybe not the roots.) I haven't made dill
pickles in a few years, but I usually use the dill flowers or immature
seeds or whatever stage the tops are when the cukes are ready, plus a
few pieces of the stems cut into 2-or-3 inch sections.

Bob
George Shirley

zxcvbob wrote:
> Pete wrote:
>
>> I planted around 50 cucumber vines this spring.
>> Also a few rows of dill.
>>
>> Now that I have some small pickles coming in, I want to make some
>> refrigerator pickles.
>>
>> The dill I have currently is getting ready to flower.
>>
>> Do I use the leaves? Stems? Flowers? Or do I have to wait for the
>> seeds?

> You use the whole plant. (Maybe not the roots.) I haven't made dill
> pickles in a few years, but I usually use the dill flowers or immature
> seeds or whatever stage the tops are when the cukes are ready, plus a
> few pieces of the stems cut into 2-or-3 inch sections.
>
> Bob

I grow, harvest at leaf stage, and dehydrate fern leaf dill just for
making pickles. To me it has a stronger dill taste and is more
attractive in the jar than either the regular dill or the seeds. If I
have to use dried seeds I usually crush them to release a stronger dill
flavor. YMMV

George

The Joneses

zxcvbob wrote:

> Pete wrote:
>
> > I planted around 50 cucumber vines this spring.
> > Also a few rows of dill.
> >
> > Now that I have some small pickles coming in, I want to make some
> > refrigerator pickles.
> >
> > The dill I have currently is getting ready to flower.
> >
> > Do I use the leaves? Stems? Flowers? Or do I have to wait for the
> > seeds?

> You use the whole plant. (Maybe not the roots.) I haven't made dill
> pickles in a few years, but I usually use the dill flowers or immature
> seeds or whatever stage the tops are when the cukes are ready, plus a
> few pieces of the stems cut into 2-or-3 inch sections.
>
> Bob

I've had good luck with freezing all or part of the plants, then throw
frozen parts into pickles. They taste as good as fresh.
Edrena

zxcvbob

wrote on 19/7/04 5:39 AM:

>>I ended up doing 5 quart jars on Sat, all fresh from the garden.
>>
>>2 jars small pickles with garic onion dill
>>1 jars sliced cucumbers with garic onion dill
>>1 jar small pickles and whole hungarian hot peppers
>>1 jar with sliced cucumbers and hungarian hot peppers.
>>
>>I prepared the standard type brine I saw on the newsgroup
>>
>>think it was one part vinegar, 4 parts water, 1 cup salt
>>

>>The Joneses > wrote in message

>>>I've had good luck with freezing all or part of the plants, then throw
>>>frozen parts into pickles. They taste as good as fresh.
>>>Edrena

> that sounds quite light on the vinegar
> ellen

And (depending on what a "part" is) quite heavy on the salt.

Good luck,
Bob
zxcvbob

Dill pickles Dig Preserving 2 31-12-2007 07:06 PM
Need recipe for refrigerator pickles Diane M General Cooking 21 19-06-2006 01:09 PM
Refrigerator pickles Diane M Preserving 2 17-06-2006 10:53 PM
Dill pickles Dig Preserving 0 21-03-2005 06:06 PM
Dill Pickles Dark Jedi General Cooking 1 11-07-2004 02:41 PM