FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   In the cool, cool, cool of the evening (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/27457-cool-cool-cool-evening.html)

Melba's Jammin' 08-07-2004 03:22 AM

In the cool, cool, cool of the evening

I just made some really good apricot jelly. It'll never win a prize
anywhere because it's not clear due to a certain amount of pulp dregs,
but, damn, it's tasty! It's what I do with the liquid collected from
the nuked apricots for my apricot butter. I use the Peach Jelly recipe
in the Ball Fruit Jell Powder leaflet -- 3 cups juice, 1/4 cup lemon
juice, pectin, and 5 cups sugar. The stuff I made last year was crappy
-- much of that liquid had come from some dried aps that I rehydrated.
Bleah.

I've got another 2 cups of pulpy juice left. I'm thinking of making up
the missing cup with orange juice. Or pineapple juice. Or maybe a cup
of crushed pineapple. Sounds pretty good to me.

Just took the Pepper Jelly out of the BWB, too. Leave us hope the set
is there -- I'd hate for this to be "Pepper Glaze". :-/ I'm holding
out hope that it'll jel when it's cold -- the stuff on the inside of the
pan did. Cross your toes.

BTW, Jorge, I included in it some of your yellow bug juice from this
year's offering to the Mother Superior and some of last year's red hair
remover. And some Fresnos and a sweet red bell. And some dried
nectarines. It's pretty tasty.

Might should gotta boogie tomorrow -- weather weenie is predicting HOT
by the weekend. Believe I'll take the blackberries from the freezer
tonight. Did I mention how good it is to be me?
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/4/04.

zxcvbob 08-07-2004 05:25 AM

In the cool, cool, cool of the evening

I'm baking a huge cherry pie. Daughter picked a bunch of cherries
yesterday and pitted them. I picked a few more today and added them to
it so I'd have enough to use my biggest pie pan.

Gotta run, the timer's beeping...

Bob

Wayne 08-07-2004 05:32 AM

zxcvbob > wrote in :

> I'm baking a huge cherry pie. Daughter picked a bunch of cherries
> yesterday and pitted them. I picked a few more today and added them to
> it so I'd have enough to use my biggest pie pan.
>
> Gotta run, the timer's beeping...
>
> Bob

I'd give damned near anything for a bunch of fresh sour cherries or
gooseberries or red or black currants. Nothing like that seems to be
availble in Central AZ. The canned cherries and gooseberries run ~$3 per
can and a decent pie requires at least 3 cans. The quality of the canned
fruit isn't worth the time spent making a good pastry. Years ago I used to
be to at least able to find frozen sour cherries and they were pretty good.
Haven't seen them for sale in years.

--
Wayne in Phoenix...moping :-(

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

zxcvbob 08-07-2004 05:49 AM

Wayne wrote:

> zxcvbob > wrote in :
>

>>I'm baking a huge cherry pie. Daughter picked a bunch of cherries
>>yesterday and pitted them. I picked a few more today and added them to
>>it so I'd have enough to use my biggest pie pan.
>>
>>Gotta run, the timer's beeping...
>>
>>Bob
>>

> I'd give damned near anything for a bunch of fresh sour cherries or
> gooseberries or red or black currants. Nothing like that seems to be
> availble in Central AZ. The canned cherries and gooseberries run ~$3 per
> can and a decent pie requires at least 3 cans. The quality of the canned
> fruit isn't worth the time spent making a good pastry. Years ago I used to
> be to at least able to find frozen sour cherries and they were pretty good.
> Haven't seen them for sale in years.

Can you grow blackberries there if you use drip irrigation? There's a
variety called "Youngberry" that is especially good and kind of sour.

One of these days I'm gonna try making a pie with diced dried apricots
reconstituted in roselle juice (an inky-red sour hibiscus). I know you
can buy dried roselle in the Latin markets there. Look at the
black-and-white picture halfway down this page:
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/roselle.html

Bob

Bob

Wayne 08-07-2004 06:03 AM

In the cool, cool, cool of the evening

zxcvbob > wrote in
:

> Can you grow blackberries there if you use drip irrigation? There's a
> variety called "Youngberry" that is especially good and kind of sour.

That might be a consideration for the future. We're currently in a
rental for at least the next year. I'd hate to just get a start and
never see the fruit. :-)

> One of these days I'm gonna try making a pie with diced dried apricots
> reconstituted in roselle juice (an inky-red sour hibiscus). I know
> you can buy dried roselle in the Latin markets there. Look at the
> black-and-white picture halfway down this page:
> http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/roselle.html

That's interesting, and I really like dried apricots. As far as the
hibiscus, I used to drink a hibiscus tea at a vegetarian restaurant years
ago. It was delicious. I could imagine combining these for a pie. I'll
look for the roselle juice when I next go to a Latin market. They're
certainly not difficult to find here. I'm sure I could dilute it for a
tea as well.

How did you pie turn out?

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

zxcvbob 08-07-2004 06:13 AM

Wayne wrote:

> zxcvbob > wrote in
> :
>

>>Can you grow blackberries there if you use drip irrigation? There's a
>>variety called "Youngberry" that is especially good and kind of sour.

> That might be a consideration for the future. We're currently in a
> rental for at least the next year. I'd hate to just get a start and
> never see the fruit. :-)
>

>>One of these days I'm gonna try making a pie with diced dried apricots
>>reconstituted in roselle juice (an inky-red sour hibiscus). I know
>>you can buy dried roselle in the Latin markets there. Look at the
>>black-and-white picture halfway down this page:
>>http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/roselle.html

> That's interesting, and I really like dried apricots. As far as the
> hibiscus, I used to drink a hibiscus tea at a vegetarian restaurant years
> ago. It was delicious. I could imagine combining these for a pie. I'll
> look for the roselle juice when I next go to a Latin market. They're
> certainly not difficult to find here. I'm sure I could dilute it for a
> tea as well.

Look for dried roselle; the label will say something like "Flor de
Jamaica". Or if you're really lucky you might find it fresh but I doubt
it. Boil the dried roselle in water to extract the juice.

> How did you pie turn out?

It looks a lot better than I expected. I was kind of sloppy putting on
the top crust but it turned out OK anyway. I'll cut it tomorrow for
breakfast. If I cut it hot it will be too runny. It won't be cooled
down to "just warm enough" for at least an hour.

Bob

zxcvbob 08-07-2004 06:13 AM

Wayne 08-07-2004 06:28 AM

In the cool, cool, cool of the evening

zxcvbob > wrote in
:

> Wayne wrote:
>
>> zxcvbob > wrote in
>> :
>>

>>>Can you grow blackberries there if you use drip irrigation? There's
>>>a variety called "Youngberry" that is especially good and kind of
>>>sour.

>> That might be a consideration for the future. We're currently in a
>> rental for at least the next year. I'd hate to just get a start and
>> never see the fruit. :-)
>>

>>>One of these days I'm gonna try making a pie with diced dried
>>>apricots reconstituted in roselle juice (an inky-red sour hibiscus).
>>>I know you can buy dried roselle in the Latin markets there. Look at
>>>the black-and-white picture halfway down this page:
>>>http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/roselle.html

>> That's interesting, and I really like dried apricots. As far as the
>> hibiscus, I used to drink a hibiscus tea at a vegetarian restaurant
>> years ago. It was delicious. I could imagine combining these for a
>> pie. I'll look for the roselle juice when I next go to a Latin
>> market. They're certainly not difficult to find here. I'm sure I
>> could dilute it for a tea as well.

> Look for dried roselle; the label will say something like "Flor de
> Jamaica". Or if you're really lucky you might find it fresh but I
> doubt it. Boil the dried roselle in water to extract the juice.

I'm sure they'll have it. I printed the picture. Have you made the
extract before?

>> How did you pie turn out?
>>

> It looks a lot better than I expected. I was kind of sloppy putting
> on the top crust but it turned out OK anyway. I'll cut it tomorrow
> for breakfast. If I cut it hot it will be too runny. It won't be
> cooled down to "just warm enough" for at least an hour.

It's sure to be good. I'm always over-anxious with warm pies. It's all
I can do to wait until it's "just right". :-) I always did like pie for
breakfast!

I made a sour cream raisin pie for the holiday. Not a baked filling, but
a stovetop cooked cream pie filling with sour cream in it, then adding
plumped raisins. Pie topped with meringue. I had a piece of it the next
morning for breakfast.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

Wayne 08-07-2004 06:28 AM

zxcvbob 08-07-2004 06:51 AM

Wayne wrote:

>>Look for dried roselle; the label will say something like "Flor de
>>Jamaica". Or if you're really lucky you might find it fresh but I
>>doubt it. Boil the dried roselle in water to extract the juice.

> I'm sure they'll have it. I printed the picture. Have you made the
> extract before?

Yes. I boiled some dried roselle to make juice last fall and I tried
making jelly with it. I thought it would have enough pectin to set all
by itself but I ended up with syrup. Even though the juice was quite
sour, it also could have used a little lemon juice -- the syrup is too
sweet. I'll try again someday, cutting the roselle juice with a little
reconstituted frozen apple juice to lighten the color and add a packet
of Certo. It definately has potential.

Henriette can probably tell you all about the stuff. (I wonder if she's
listening...)

Bob

zxcvbob 08-07-2004 06:51 AM

Wayne 08-07-2004 06:55 AM

In the cool, cool, cool of the evening

zxcvbob > wrote in
:

> Wayne wrote:
>
>>>Look for dried roselle; the label will say something like "Flor de
>>>Jamaica". Or if you're really lucky you might find it fresh but I
>>>doubt it. Boil the dried roselle in water to extract the juice.

>> I'm sure they'll have it. I printed the picture. Have you made the
>> extract before?
>>

> Yes. I boiled some dried roselle to make juice last fall and I tried
> making jelly with it. I thought it would have enough pectin to set
> all by itself but I ended up with syrup. Even though the juice was
> quite sour, it also could have used a little lemon juice -- the syrup
> is too sweet. I'll try again someday, cutting the roselle juice with
> a little reconstituted frozen apple juice to lighten the color and add
> a packet of Certo. It definately has potential.
>
> Henriette can probably tell you all about the stuff. (I wonder if
> she's listening...)
>
> Bob

Thanks, Bob. I remember the tea I used to get and I always added lemon
and raw sugar. It was a great summer drink. That would probably make a
very pretty jelly!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

Wayne 08-07-2004 06:55 AM

Melba's Jammin' 08-07-2004 02:44 PM

In the cool, cool, cool of the evening

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
(snip)
> Just took the Pepper Jelly out of the BWB, too. Leave us hope the set
> is there -- I'd hate for this to be "Pepper Glaze". :-/ I'm holding
> out hope that it'll jel when it's cold -- the stuff on the inside of the
> pan did. Cross your toes.

The set is there. :-)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/4/04.