Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Question about those "Atlas" jars

I've gotten to the point where I don't like to use jars that are not
specifically marketed for canning, but the jars that the Classico brand of
spaghetti sauce comes in are labeled as Atlas mason jars. Now, I know that
once upon a time, there were Atlas jars that were told for home canning, but
I'm told that the jars the spaghetti sauce comes in are not exactly the same
and that they are thinner. Some people say they use them, others say that
they are not made to be reused over and over again and that they have a high
rate of seal failure and breakage.

I prefer not to, but what's the consensus here?

National Center for Home Food Preservation says you can use commercial jars
for acid foods, i.e., those you BWB, but expect that they might not seal
properly or the jars might break.

I'm asking this because well-meaning coworkers of my husband keep bringing
him the jars because they know I can and I have told him that I don't want
jars unless they are "real" canning jars, but they want a detailed
explanation. I already gave them the info from the NCHFP, word for word. I
don't want to sound like an ingrate, but honestly, I invest too much time
and energy into canning to have things fail because the jars weren't good.

--
-Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Marilyn wrote:
> I've gotten to the point where I don't like to use jars that are not
> specifically marketed for canning, but the jars that the Classico brand of
> spaghetti sauce comes in are labeled as Atlas mason jars. Now, I know that
> once upon a time, there were Atlas jars that were told for home canning, but
> I'm told that the jars the spaghetti sauce comes in are not exactly the same
> and that they are thinner. Some people say they use them, others say that
> they are not made to be reused over and over again and that they have a high
> rate of seal failure and breakage.
>
> I prefer not to, but what's the consensus here?
>
> National Center for Home Food Preservation says you can use commercial jars
> for acid foods, i.e., those you BWB, but expect that they might not seal
> properly or the jars might break.
>
> I'm asking this because well-meaning coworkers of my husband keep bringing
> him the jars because they know I can and I have told him that I don't want
> jars unless they are "real" canning jars, but they want a detailed
> explanation. I already gave them the info from the NCHFP, word for word. I
> don't want to sound like an ingrate, but honestly, I invest too much time
> and energy into canning to have things fail because the jars weren't good.

My brother and my parents use "Atlas" spaghetti sauce jars all the time
for canning; they are just the right size (quarts are too big, pints are
too small.) I have one or two around here somewhere from green beans or
tomatoes that they gave me, and I believe they are just as thick as
regular Ball or Kerr canning jars. They are certainly thicker than the
glass in mayonnaise jars (and I used to can with those without ever
breaking one or losing a seal.)

They are a nonstandard size, so you'd use the processing timetables for
the next larger size jar (quarts) and risk overcooking the food a little.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Marilyn wrote:
> I've gotten to the point where I don't like to use jars that are not
> specifically marketed for canning, but the jars that the Classico brand of
> spaghetti sauce comes in are labeled as Atlas mason jars. Now, I know that
> once upon a time, there were Atlas jars that were told for home canning, but
> I'm told that the jars the spaghetti sauce comes in are not exactly the same
> and that they are thinner. Some people say they use them, others say that
> they are not made to be reused over and over again and that they have a high
> rate of seal failure and breakage.
>
> I prefer not to, but what's the consensus here?
>
> National Center for Home Food Preservation says you can use commercial jars
> for acid foods, i.e., those you BWB, but expect that they might not seal
> properly or the jars might break.
>
> I'm asking this because well-meaning coworkers of my husband keep bringing
> him the jars because they know I can and I have told him that I don't want
> jars unless they are "real" canning jars, but they want a detailed
> explanation. I already gave them the info from the NCHFP, word for word. I
> don't want to sound like an ingrate, but honestly, I invest too much time
> and energy into canning to have things fail because the jars weren't good.

I have used the Classico jars with good success in both BWB and pressure
canners. As near as I can determine they are genuine canning jars and
even take the two piece lid and ring perfectly. Can't say that about the
rest of the sauce jars, they seem much thinner and don't have the same
lip so I don't use them. The Classico jars are 26 ounce versus 32 ounce
though.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Marilyn" > wrote:

> and that they are thinner. Some people say they use them, others say that
> they are not made to be reused over and over again and that they have a high
> rate of seal failure and breakage.
>
> I prefer not to, but what's the consensus here?

I wouldn't hesitate to use them for BWB processing; don't know what to
say about pressure canning.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Marilyn" > wrote in message
> I've gotten to the point where I don't like to use jars that are not
> specifically marketed for canning, but the jars that the Classico brand of
> spaghetti sauce comes in are labeled as Atlas mason jars. Now, I know
> that
> once upon a time, there were Atlas jars that were told for home canning,
> but
> I'm told that the jars the spaghetti sauce comes in are not exactly the
> same
> and that they are thinner. Some people say they use them, others say that
> they are not made to be reused over and over again and that they have a
> high
> rate of seal failure and breakage.
>
> I prefer not to, but what's the consensus here?
>
> National Center for Home Food Preservation says you can use commercial
> jars
> for acid foods, i.e., those you BWB, but expect that they might not seal
> properly or the jars might break.
>
> I'm asking this because well-meaning coworkers of my husband keep bringing
> him the jars because they know I can and I have told him that I don't want
> jars unless they are "real" canning jars, but they want a detailed
> explanation. I already gave them the info from the NCHFP, word for word.
> don't want to sound like an ingrate, but honestly, I invest too much time
> and energy into canning to have things fail because the jars weren't good.

I use them. I also use the jars that you find Rene's salad dressings in.
355 ml - smooth sides. Pretty for pickled asparagus, green beans, other
pickles, carrots, salsa - I have used them for all of these recipes. BWB
only, no idea how they would be under pressure. The plastic lids that they
come with fit perfectly oin a standard canning jar and visa versa. Never
had a problem with sealing.

FWIW
Kathi

> --
> -Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 22:23:34 -0000, "Marilyn"
> wrote:

>I've gotten to the point where I don't like to use jars that are not
>specifically marketed for canning, but the jars that the Classico brand of
>spaghetti sauce comes in are labeled as Atlas mason jars. Now, I know that
>once upon a time, there were Atlas jars that were told for home canning, but
>I'm told that the jars the spaghetti sauce comes in are not exactly the same
>and that they are thinner. Some people say they use them, others say that
>they are not made to be reused over and over again and that they have a high
>rate of seal failure and breakage.
>
>I prefer not to, but what's the consensus here?
>
>National Center for Home Food Preservation says you can use commercial jars
>for acid foods, i.e., those you BWB, but expect that they might not seal
>properly or the jars might break.
>
>I'm asking this because well-meaning coworkers of my husband keep bringing
>him the jars because they know I can and I have told him that I don't want
>jars unless they are "real" canning jars, but they want a detailed
>explanation. I already gave them the info from the NCHFP, word for word. I
>don't want to sound like an ingrate, but honestly, I invest too much time
>and energy into canning to have things fail because the jars weren't good.

I'm a little late getting to the newsgroups today but, like others
have said, we use quite a few of the Classico sauce jars for canning
tomatoes in a BWB. Have yet to have a problem.
We bought a bunch of the Classico sauces at a local liquidation outlet
at about $0.50 a jar. But, to tell the truth, I'd much prefer to get
the empty jars from someone's co-worker rather than use that sauce on
my food just to get jars.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

> wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 22:23:34 -0000, "Marilyn"
> > wrote:
>
>>I've gotten to the point where I don't like to use jars that are not
>>specifically marketed for canning, but the jars that the Classico brand of
>>spaghetti sauce comes in are labeled as Atlas mason jars. Now, I know
>>that
>>once upon a time, there were Atlas jars that were told for home canning,
>>but
>>I'm told that the jars the spaghetti sauce comes in are not exactly the
>>same
>>and that they are thinner. Some people say they use them, others say that
>>they are not made to be reused over and over again and that they have a
>>high
>>rate of seal failure and breakage.
>>
>>I prefer not to, but what's the consensus here?
>>
>>National Center for Home Food Preservation says you can use commercial
>>jars
>>for acid foods, i.e., those you BWB, but expect that they might not seal
>>properly or the jars might break.
>>
>>I'm asking this because well-meaning coworkers of my husband keep bringing
>>him the jars because they know I can and I have told him that I don't want
>>jars unless they are "real" canning jars, but they want a detailed
>>explanation. I already gave them the info from the NCHFP, word for word.
>>don't want to sound like an ingrate, but honestly, I invest too much time
>>and energy into canning to have things fail because the jars weren't good.

> I'm a little late getting to the newsgroups today but, like others
> have said, we use quite a few of the Classico sauce jars for canning
> tomatoes in a BWB. Have yet to have a problem.
> We bought a bunch of the Classico sauces at a local liquidation outlet
> at about $0.50 a jar. But, to tell the truth, I'd much prefer to get
> the empty jars from someone's co-worker rather than use that sauce on
> my food just to get jars.
>
> Ross.

Hmm. So I'm debating here about taking them now. I really don't need the
extra jars and I don't like that they're not a quart size. I have used them
on occasion myself in the past. And no, I'd never buy that brand of
spaghetti sauce. I buy the cheapest, which is usually Del Monte, in a can,
not a jar and then only use it as a base for my own ingredients. I'll think
about it this weekend and maybe I will take the jars.

--
-Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 22:23:34 +0000, Marilyn wrote:

> Some people say
> they use them, others say that they are not made to be reused over and
> over again and that they have a high rate of seal failure and breakage.
>
> I prefer not to, but what's the consensus here?

I'd use them for PC/BWB but I dislike the size and shape of the jars. I
have one hanging around that I haven't recycled yet. I do keep the screw-
on lids to use to reclose mason jars in the fridge, etc.

--
L.V.X., brother mouse
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"frater mus" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 22:23:34 +0000, Marilyn wrote:
>
>> Some people say
>> they use them, others say that they are not made to be reused over and
>> over again and that they have a high rate of seal failure and breakage.
>>
>> I prefer not to, but what's the consensus here?

> I'd use them for PC/BWB but I dislike the size and shape of the jars. I
> have one hanging around that I haven't recycled yet. I do keep the screw-
> on lids to use to reclose mason jars in the fridge, etc.
>

> --
> L.V.X., brother mouse

Yes, the squareness is a bit of an annoyance isn't it? Probably not so much
in a BWB but in a pressure canner where they're close together, I could see
maybe having a problem. Of course, the squareness is an asset when storing
them on the shelf because there's less wasted space.

--
-Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

I've only used the bigger ones for storage & iced coffee. (shaken, not
stirred)

: - )

Now, Classico does sell a pesto sauce in a smaller jar--we use it as a
base with white sauce on pizza because I can't eat tomatoes. I have
re-used those little jars for jams, jellies & butters in a BWB--no
problems with breakage or sealing. I haven't had a issue with the
shape of the jar because I usually do small batches and they fit okay
in my granite BWB canner.

HTH

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Mimi wrote:
> I've only used the bigger ones for storage & iced coffee. (shaken, not
> stirred)
>
> : - )
>
> Now, Classico does sell a pesto sauce in a smaller jar--we use it as a
> base with white sauce on pizza because I can't eat tomatoes. I have
> re-used those little jars for jams, jellies & butters in a BWB--no
> problems with breakage or sealing. I haven't had a issue with the
> shape of the jar because I usually do small batches and they fit okay
> in my granite BWB canner.
>
> HTH

I was in the local Kroger yesterday and walked by the sauce display, the
Classico jars for spaghetti sauce have been downsized, they're now 24
ounce versus the former 26 ounce. Still marked Atlas Mason though. I
have no fear of putting them in the pressure canner, did a bunch of
green beans in them as that size jar makes a perfect serving for two
with a little leftover to add to the potential soup container in the
freezer.

Got up to 53F this morning, may be time for either chili or soup, I'm
voting for chili.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

<snip> Got up to 53F this morning, may be time for either chili or
soup, I'm voting for chili. <snip>

Chicken soup or Chicken Gumbo weather for me...

: - )

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Mimi wrote:
> <snip> Got up to 53F this morning, may be time for either chili or
> soup, I'm voting for chili. <snip>
>
> Chicken soup or Chicken Gumbo weather for me...
>
> : - )

Red beans for supper last night, made with diced andouille sausage,
fried to render the grease, then added to simmering beans. Also put in
half a dozen chopped green onions, and a couple of small sweet chiles,
diced. Looked in the freezer and there was a small package of ham bits,
chopped them a bit more and added to the pot. Had a pot of brown rice
cooking.

DW came home from work and walked in the house and started slobbering
all over the place, between she and the dog I thought I might have to
mop the floors. It was right tasty, will freeze the leftovers for
another time.

I have four lbs of ground chuck thawing to make a pot of chili and now
it's starting to warm up again. Oh well, another cold front is on the
way so it will be just about cool enough when I make the chili.

Also thawing a lb of thick cut bacon, will fry it up, drain well, put
the slices between sheets of wax paper and then freeze it again for DW
to have for her breakfast as wanted. Also made a dozen whole berry
cranberry sauce muffins with walnuts for her morning delight.

She stopped by the thrift store yesterday and found three of those
little round half pint canning jars for 25 cents a piece, they're in the
dishwasher now.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Just got home from Wally World. There was one jar of the Classico
basil pesto (on the shelf) that was a lug type jar--not a re-useable
jar for canning--but still embossed 'Atlas Mason'. The label was the
same except that it was 8.1 ounces (of product). The rest on the shelf
were the regular mason type closure--10 ounces. I hope they aren't
going to the lug-style--my Hun Bun really likes the pesto and to me,
the jar is a bonus.

: - )

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Oct 15, 2:23*pm, "Marilyn" >
wrote:
> I've gotten to the point where I don't like to use jars that are not
> specifically marketed for canning, but the jars that the Classico brand of
> spaghetti sauce comes in are labeled as Atlas mason jars. *Now, I know that
> once upon a time, there were Atlas jars that were told for home canning, but
> I'm told that the jars the spaghetti sauce comes in are not exactly the same
> and that they are thinner. *Some people say they use them, others say that
> they are not made to be reused over and over again and that they have a high
> rate of seal failure and breakage.
>
> I prefer not to, but what's the consensus here?
>
> National Center for Home Food Preservation says you can use commercial jars
> for acid foods, i.e., those you BWB, but expect that they might not seal
> properly or the jars might break.
>
> I'm asking this because well-meaning coworkers of my husband keep bringing
> him the jars because they know I can and I have told him that I don't want
> jars unless they are "real" canning jars, but they want a detailed
> explanation. *I already gave them the info from the NCHFP, word for word. *I
> don't want to sound like an ingrate, but honestly, I invest too much time
> and energy into canning to have things fail because the jars weren't good..
>
> --
> -Marilyn

I have always used the Classico jars and love the 24 ounce size. It is
great for soups and fruits. Ball/Kerr used to make 24 ounce canning
jars but no more.
With respect to BWB or PC, I use them for both without any
distinction. I have NEVER had one of them break.
For the folks who say they are lighter glass, put on on a cooking or
postal scale with a Kerr or a Ball. I have done so and the Classico
was the heavier of the 3.
That little 10 ounce pesto bottle from Classico is a jewel. Wish I
could get my neighbors to save them for me.
Jim in So. Calif.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

It's been awhile since anyone posted on this subject, but last night I
was canning some tomatoes, and when it was time to take the jars out of
the water bath, I noticed a piece of tomato floating on the top of the
water. I thought nothing of it, just that I had somehow dropped a piece
in there, but as I was removing the first jar, the top 2/3 of one of the
jars broke away from the bottom. What a mess it made in the water!
Today I noticed that the jar was an Atlas Mason jar, and since all our
other jars are Ball jars, I googled Altas Mason Jars and found this
site.

Though I haven't had a chance to look around, I thought I'd update the
thread, and provide a "living example" of why maybe it's not such a good
idea to use these jars. I'm guessing it somehow made it's way from a
jar of spaghetti to our jar storage, bypassing what should have been the
recycling bin!!

--
Tomct
Tomct's Profile: http://www.cookingjunkies.com/member.php?userid=26314

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 09:27:40 -0500, Tomct
> wrote:

>It's been awhile since anyone posted on this subject, but last night I
>was canning some tomatoes, and when it was time to take the jars out of
>the water bath, I noticed a piece of tomato floating on the top of the
>water. I thought nothing of it, just that I had somehow dropped a piece
>in there, but as I was removing the first jar, the top 2/3 of one of the
>jars broke away from the bottom. What a mess it made in the water!
>Today I noticed that the jar was an Atlas Mason jar, and since all our
>other jars are Ball jars, I googled Altas Mason Jars and found this
>site.
>
>Though I haven't had a chance to look around, I thought I'd update the
>thread, and provide a "living example" of why maybe it's not such a good
>idea to use these jars. I'm guessing it somehow made it's way from a
>jar of spaghetti to our jar storage, bypassing what should have been the
>recycling bin!!

I see I was one of the guest responders in your linked thread on this
subject, back on Oct. 16, 2009 (different ISP at that time).
I would venture an educated guess that since that time we have BWB'd
well over 200 jars of tomatoes in Atlas (Classico) jars.
As a matter of fact, I just took a break from doing tomatoes this
morning to read the NG while one load is in the canner. This is pretty
well the end the year's tomato crop but, by the time we finish later
today this season's total alone will be over 50 of the Atlas jars plus
more than 20 quart (or liter) jars.
Never had a jar break and seal failures would be less than 1%.
For the two of us, Atlas jars are the perfect size.
Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/21/2012 9:27 AM, Tomct wrote:
> It's been awhile since anyone posted on this subject, but last night I
> was canning some tomatoes, and when it was time to take the jars out of
> the water bath, I noticed a piece of tomato floating on the top of the
> water. I thought nothing of it, just that I had somehow dropped a piece
> in there, but as I was removing the first jar, the top 2/3 of one of the
> jars broke away from the bottom. What a mess it made in the water!
> Today I noticed that the jar was an Atlas Mason jar, and since all our
> other jars are Ball jars, I googled Altas Mason Jars and found this
> site.
>
> Though I haven't had a chance to look around, I thought I'd update the
> thread, and provide a "living example" of why maybe it's not such a good
> idea to use these jars. I'm guessing it somehow made it's way from a
> jar of spaghetti to our jar storage, bypassing what should have been the
> recycling bin!!

I've used the Atlas Mason 26 ounce jars for several years with good
results. They were the jars used to hold Classico sauce and had a lip
that took regular canning lids. I have notice that the new Classico
sauce jars do NOT have the same lip, they have a different lid. I
suspect that, from your experience they are no longer made like regular
canning jars if you have them breaking. Certainly they would not hold
jar contents if they lip has different threads than a regular canning
jar. For that reason my friends no longer save me the Classico sauce
jars. I never bought any canned sauce because I like my homemade sauce
much better. I occasionally run up on some of the old Classico jars at
garage sales, etc.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

I reuse store jars and lug lids all the time I saw the classico at wally
world today for the pesto and bought it cause its a square Mason for
those concerned about reusing lug lids this is a 53mm lid sold here
'Pickling and Canning Jars' (http://www.sks-bottle.com/CanningJars.html)
the price for the lids is 53 mm P 144/bag $23.04 check out the sight
they have cool canning jars if you are into gifting

--
amsweitzer
amsweitzer's Profile: http://www.cookingjunkies.com/member.php?userid=26466

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Marilyn;312771 Wrote:
> "frater mus" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 22:23:34 +0000, Marilyn wrote:
> >
> >> Some people say
> >> they use them, others say that they are not made to be reused over

> and
> >> over again and that they have a high rate of seal failure and

> breakage.
> >>
> >> I prefer not to, but what's the consensus here?

> > I'd use them for PC/BWB but I dislike the size and shape of the jars.

> > have one hanging around that I haven't recycled yet. I do keep the

> screw-
> > on lids to use to reclose mason jars in the fridge, etc.
> >

> > --
> > L.V.X., brother mouse

> Yes, the squareness is a bit of an annoyance isn't it? Probably not so
> much
> in a BWB but in a pressure canner where they're close together, I could
> see
> maybe having a problem. Of course, the squareness is an asset when
> storing
> them on the shelf because there's less wasted space.
>
> --
> -Marilyn

I researched them and they appear save to use for pc canning I never use
my expensive mason jars for bwc when otc jars work fine little hint otc
jars with nub lids and button tops are reuseable they are easier to use
and fail alot less often the other day I made kiwi strawberry jam all my
reused 2 piece
lids failed luckily I had enough of the ten oz jars and nub lids on hand
to correct this

--
amsweitzer
amsweitzer's Profile: http://www.cookingjunkies.com/member.php?userid=26466
View this thread: http://www.cookingjunkies.com/showthread.php?t=28576

Posted to rec.food.preserving

I just checked the Claasico website. The jars are NOT recommended for canning. I actually prefer using the 12 oz size as drinking glasses.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 4/15/2014 9:44 PM, wrote:
> I just checked the Claasico website. The jars are NOT recommended for canning. I actually prefer using the 12 oz size as drinking glasses.

You're right, the newer Classico Atlas Mason jars have thinner glass
than canning jars and the threads and top of the jar are no longer to
true Mason jar standards. I've never eaten Classico but a couple of
friends used to give me the ones they received and they made a decent
canning jar back then. After I noticed the change I quit getting them
and they went to recycling. Still have a couple of dozen of the older
jars, the 26 ounce with the true canning jar thickness and threads plus
the flat top needed.

Thanks for the reminder Lori.

It's getting on to dewberry and blackberry season here in SE Texas. We
have some primo picking patches mapped out and we check them weekly for
ripeness. We have also discovered a few dewberry plants behind our fence
and are protecting them for fresh eating.

Yesterday we put up a large batch of Swiss chard, properly blanched for
two minutes, into a ice bath, drained well, then put on a bun tray and
frozen for one hour and then into the vacuum bags. Today is herb day,
we're picking cilantro, flat leaf parsley, fernleaf dill, oregano,
thyme, Russian tarragon, and leaf celery. We will dehydrate and then
vacuum bag for longevity.

The spring/summer garden is doing well, the tomatoes and squash have
buds on them, the Hopi lima beans are starting to climb, the cukes are
growing fast. The lettuce is starting to go to seed so it is about
compost barrel time for them. We've been having temps down to 44F the
last few days but today is headed for 80F with lots of sunshine.

Made some healing salve last week, calendula blossoms (pot
marigold)cleaned and infused into liquid petroleum jelly then strained
into small jars. Last batch I made was in 2000 so it was time.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 4/16/2014 3:42 PM, Drew Lawson wrote:
> In article >
> George Shirley > writes:
>> On 4/15/2014 9:44 PM, wrote:
>>> I just checked the Claasico website. The jars are NOT recommended for canning. I actually prefer using

>> the 12 oz size as drinking glasses.
>>>

>> You're right, the newer Classico Atlas Mason jars have thinner glass
>> than canning jars and the threads and top of the jar are no longer to
>> true Mason jar standards. I've never eaten Classico but a couple of
>> friends used to give me the ones they received and they made a decent
>> canning jar back then. After I noticed the change I quit getting them
>> and they went to recycling. Still have a couple of dozen of the older
>> jars, the 26 ounce with the true canning jar thickness and threads plus
>> the flat top needed.

> The sad thing is that I used to eat a lot of that sause, probably
> 2-3 jars a month. But back then I wasn't even gardening much, and
> they all went to the recycling. Once the gardening ramped up, I
> started saving the jars. I got up to two jars before the stuff on
> the store shelves transitioned to the new jars.
>
> Oh well.

Win a few, lose a few Drew. Maybe the sauce company will make enough
money to start using REAL Mason jars again.

Here's a hint: I go to a lot of church sales, ie. church people get
together, empty their closets, pantries, and garages, stuff gets sold at
the church, money goes to church. I once bought a little over 200
canning jars, running from quarter pints to quarts for ten cents each
and the church ladies counted them. I think someone's grannie died and
left those jars behind because some of them were really old jars. Plus
there were at least three boxes of lids and rings in the batch that they
threw in. At another sale I found a brand new pressure canner still in
the box for ten bucks, it went to a friend's daughter who was wanting to
learn to can her own food. Keep looking.

George, smelling all the herbs that are in the dehydrator today
Posted to rec.food.preserving

http://www.classico.com/FAQ.aspx

Classico said no.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/19/2014 8:03 PM, wrote:

http://www.classico.com/FAQ.aspx

> Classico said no.

Notice it says "our current jars". The current jars don't take canning
lids.

I have gotten rid of all my old mayonnaise and Miracle Whip jars (at
least I don't *think* I have any left.) I will keep using my Atlas jars
until they break or I lose them; they look and feel to me every bit as
thick as Ball and Kerr jars. You'll have to decide for yourself.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/19/2014 8:31 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> On 11/19/2014 8:03 PM, wrote:

http://www.classico.com/FAQ.aspx

>> Classico said no.

> Notice it says "our current jars". The current jars don't take canning
> lids.
>
> I have gotten rid of all my old mayonnaise and Miracle Whip jars (at
> least I don't *think* I have any left.) I will keep using my Atlas jars
> until they break or I lose them; they look and feel to me every bit as
> thick as Ball and Kerr jars. You'll have to decide for yourself.
>
> Bob

Me too, Bob. Friends of ours must have eaten Classico sauce for every
meal, they gave us about 30 of those 26 oz jars and they're still with
us. Most of them have had pear mincemeat in them but there's only two
full jars left so the jars will be used for something else.

How's the lovely winter wonderland of Minnehaha coming along? We had a
light frost the other day, nipped the tops of the still producing summer
eggplant and wilted a couple of pepper plants, otherwise it is still
pretty close to summer here. Weather folk keep predicting freeze then we
get mid-fifties again. Chard planted the fall of 2013 is still
producing, I believe we got our money back several times on the purchase
of those chard plants.

Pickled some radishes the other day, just opened the jar yesterday and
tried them, they were nasty! Probably go into the composter today. Yuck!

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/21/2014 6:59 AM, George Shirley wrote:

> Pickled some radishes the other day, just opened the jar yesterday and
> tried them, they were nasty! Probably go into the composter today. Yuck!
>
> George

Dear George:

I don't think I have ever had radishes in any form that WEREN'T nasty.
I guess that's my version of Barb's beets. In the past few years, chard
(which my husband likes) and even spinach (which I used to love) taste
very metallic to me, like chewing on tinfoil. (Are you allowed to call
it tinfoil if you are old enough to remember when it wasn't called
aluminum or Reynolds Wrap?)

Haha.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Every now & then I'll say tin foil. The young people look at me like i'm
nuts . John
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/23/2014 09:58 AM, George Shirley wrote:

> What other "old timer" words are out there John? A grown grandson was
> smashing some cola cans with his hands the other day, putting them into
> the recycle bin. Asked if I had done that when I was young. Had to tell
> him that we drank our beer and cola out of steel cans or glass bottles
> back then. Another amazing look was given. Ain't it fun confusing
> youngsters.
>
> George

Regarding "old timer words" and beverages in steel cans -- "church key".
There was a certain ritual about tapping the can top x number of times
with the church key before actually puncturing it. 'twas supposed to
reduce foaming. BTDT
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/23/2014 1:40 PM, Whirled Peas wrote:
> On 11/23/2014 09:58 AM, George Shirley wrote:
>
>> What other "old timer" words are out there John? A grown grandson was
>> smashing some cola cans with his hands the other day, putting them into
>> the recycle bin. Asked if I had done that when I was young. Had to tell
>> him that we drank our beer and cola out of steel cans or glass bottles
>> back then. Another amazing look was given. Ain't it fun confusing
>> youngsters.
>>
>> George

> Regarding "old timer words" and beverages in steel cans -- "church key".
> There was a certain ritual about tapping the can top x number of times
> with the church key before actually puncturing it. 'twas supposed to
> reduce foaming. BTDT

I remember that one too, still have a couple of "double action" church
keys in my tackle box. The ones with the can piercer on one end and a
bottle cap opener on the other end. I wonder if they're valuable
antiques yet.

Nowadays they've got pull tab bean cans too. With my right hand
partially paralyzed the church key comes in handy for opening one of
those too. Heck, I've got fishing lures and fishing reels that are fifty
years old and still work fine.

Nice day here in Harris Cty, TX, 68F lots of sunshine, light wind
blowing. Late last night we had a rainstorm blow through dropping about
an inch and a half of needed rain in about two hours. I'm busy putting
together some garage cabinets I bought on an online sale, it's tough on
two very senior citizens to lift that bale and tote that barge but we
will, eventually, get them done.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Oldies (was Question about those "Atlas" jars)

On 11/23/2014 10:58 AM, George Shirley wrote:
> On 11/23/2014 9:39 AM, wrote:
>> Every now & then I'll say tin foil. The young people look at me like i'm
>> nuts . John
>>

> What other "old timer" words are out there John? A grown grandson was
> smashing some cola cans with his hands the other day, putting them into
> the recycle bin. Asked if I had done that when I was young. Had to tell
> him that we drank our beer and cola out of steel cans or glass bottles
> back then. Another amazing look was given. Ain't it fun confusing
> youngsters.
>
> George

Oh, Lord. Did you tell him you could return bottles to the grocery
store for a refund of 5 cents? And that was enough for a package of gum
or a candy bar? And two bottles was enough for an ice cream cone?

My dad and mom owned a neighborhood grocery store before the days of
supermarkets. There was a back door that was kept closed that led
outdoors and to a stairway to the cellar where the furnace and the
compressors for the freezer, met case, and walk-in coolers. They stored
cases of empty quart soda bottles on the cellar stairs until the
delivery guy picked them up about once a month. One year they
discovered that kids were sneaking in from outside to steal bottles to
get the refund again.

I remember getting cases of eggs from the farm (can't remember, 40 dozen
each,maybe?) and being recruited to transfer them into dozen-sized
cartons. That wasn't nearly as bad as having to divide 50 lb sacks of
potatoes into 5 and 10 lb. bags. That was SUCH a dirty job. And of
course I didn't get paid for either.

Small stores stocked 1-2 kinds of bath and laundry soap, 3-4 kinds of
cold cereal, white and chocolate cake mixes, ~3 flavors of Jello, but a
whole rack labeled for about 40 flavors of LifeSavers! Ground beef, good
quality and ground to order, was $.69/lb Dad bragged he never charged
more than $.99/lb. for steak.

I don't remember eating pizza until the mid 60s, in college. And in New
England where all our Chinese restaurants were Cantonese, chow
mein was about as exotic as it got.

The basement was always called a cellar there, and getting there was
"going down cellar." Neighbors shared telephone service, running back
and forth the announce or answer calls which were few.

Neighbors had coal delivered through a cellar window chute and coal had
to be shoveled into the furnace. We heated for a long time with a
kerosene stove. Our coal furnace had been donated to the WWII effort
for the metal. We finally got an oil furnace and hot water in about
1955. No more heating bath or dish water in big kettles on the stove!

When I was a kid in the late '40s everyone drove old pre-war cars and
the measure of a car was if it could make it up "Weld St. hill"
in second gear!

Early TVs had small, ROUND screens. Our radio had a turntable mounted
under it in a large, ornate wooden cabinet. It had AM and short-wave if
I remember correctly. And records were all 78rpm and fragile.
Flashlights were the only things I remember with batteries.

How did we ever live through it?

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/23/2014 12:40 PM, Whirled Peas wrote:
> On 11/23/2014 09:58 AM, George Shirley wrote:
>
>> What other "old timer" words are out there John? A grown grandson was
>> smashing some cola cans with his hands the other day, putting them into
>> the recycle bin. Asked if I had done that when I was young. Had to tell
>> him that we drank our beer and cola out of steel cans or glass bottles
>> back then. Another amazing look was given. Ain't it fun confusing
>> youngsters.
>>
>> George

> Regarding "old timer words" and beverages in steel cans -- "church key".
> There was a certain ritual about tapping the can top x number of times
> with the church key before actually puncturing it. 'twas supposed to
> reduce foaming. BTDT

Do you remember the first lift-tab cans where the entire tab separated
from the lid? And people just threw them everywhere which meant a lot
of cut feet from walking in park grass or beach sand that was thick with
sharp-edged can tabs? (And cigarette butts which didn't cut but stank.)

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/23/2014 4:09 PM, gloria p wrote:
> On 11/23/2014 12:40 PM, Whirled Peas wrote:
>> On 11/23/2014 09:58 AM, George Shirley wrote:
>>
>>> What other "old timer" words are out there John? A grown grandson was
>>> smashing some cola cans with his hands the other day, putting them into
>>> the recycle bin. Asked if I had done that when I was young. Had to tell
>>> him that we drank our beer and cola out of steel cans or glass bottles
>>> back then. Another amazing look was given. Ain't it fun confusing
>>> youngsters.
>>>
>>> George

>> Regarding "old timer words" and beverages in steel cans -- "church key".
>> There was a certain ritual about tapping the can top x number of times
>> with the church key before actually puncturing it. 'twas supposed to
>> reduce foaming. BTDT

> Do you remember the first lift-tab cans where the entire tab separated
> from the lid? And people just threw them everywhere which meant a lot
> of cut feet from walking in park grass or beach sand that was thick with
> sharp-edged can tabs? (And cigarette butts which didn't cut but stank.)
>
> gloria p

Yup, threw a lot of pull tabs into the Gulf of Mexico along with the
stubs of three packs of cigarettes a day. Many years later I quit
smoking and was smoking five packs a day by then, the long cigs at that.
Don't miss them a bit nowadays, a couple of heart attacks the doctors
blamed on heavy smoking finally got thru to me.

Had been off the cigarettes about six months and my lovely wife
commented it was nice to kiss me and not feel like she was smooching a
full ash tray. <G> Poor soul never smoked in her life. I started at
fifteen and smoked to fifty-five. Both our children have finally quit
although the SIL still smokes but daughter makes him go outside. One
grandson still smokes but no other family members do. I show the SIL and
the grandson the big scar on my chest where they did the bypass just to
remind them of what can and probably will happen. I do thank the modern
medicine for my survival. My Dad died of a stroke at 71, granddad of
heart attack at 56, great grandad at 24. Takes a long time for the
Shirley males to figure things out.

Obligatory food preserving note: Dumped some two-year old pickled
cauliflower. They just don't taste right, may be me, may be how I
pickled them. At any rate they are out, all eight pints. So opened some
pickled carrot sticks, done on the same date, they were fine so I'm
eating those.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/23/2014 4:06 PM, gloria p wrote:
> On 11/23/2014 10:58 AM, George Shirley wrote:
>> On 11/23/2014 9:39 AM, wrote:
>>> Every now & then I'll say tin foil. The young people look at me like i'm
>>> nuts . John
>>>

>> What other "old timer" words are out there John? A grown grandson was
>> smashing some cola cans with his hands the other day, putting them into
>> the recycle bin. Asked if I had done that when I was young. Had to tell
>> him that we drank our beer and cola out of steel cans or glass bottles
>> back then. Another amazing look was given. Ain't it fun confusing
>> youngsters.
>>
>> George

> Oh, Lord. Did you tell him you could return bottles to the grocery
> store for a refund of 5 cents? And that was enough for a package of gum
> or a candy bar? And two bottles was enough for an ice cream cone?

Yup, used to walk a mile away down Hwy 90 in Orange, TX and then walk
back. Pulled a little red wagon with homemade sides on it. Picked up
soda and beer bottles to be exchanged for money. Picked up empty whiskey
bottles to sell to the bootlegger down on Cole Creek for two cents each.
Had to be clean so always kept them in a 55 gallon drum full of water
and then rinsed.

> My dad and mom owned a neighborhood grocery store before the days of
> supermarkets. There was a back door that was kept closed that led
> outdoors and to a stairway to the cellar where the furnace and the
> compressors for the freezer, met case, and walk-in coolers. They stored
> cases of empty quart soda bottles on the cellar stairs until the
> delivery guy picked them up about once a month. One year they
> discovered that kids were sneaking in from outside to steal bottles to
> get the refund again.

My first job at age 12 was stocking groceries, pumping gas, and changing
tires and/or greasing cars. Had one of those pop coolers outside that
you had to put the nickel in, pick your bottle and then slide it along
until it came out of the rack. Had a lock on it so you could leave it
out at night. Made 25 cents and hour and thought I was rich. Was already
driving as Mom quit driving when I was eleven. Got a hardship license at
12 and a regular license at 14, then, at seventeen got a chauffeur's
license so I could drive a school bus for 50 cents an hour, then I
graduated and went into the Navy for $75 a month and my keep. I still
thought I was rich. <G>

> I remember getting cases of eggs from the farm (can't remember, 40 dozen
> each,maybe?) and being recruited to transfer them into dozen-sized
> cartons. That wasn't nearly as bad as having to divide 50 lb sacks of
> potatoes into 5 and 10 lb. bags. That was SUCH a dirty job. And of
> course I didn't get paid for either.
>
> Small stores stocked 1-2 kinds of bath and laundry soap, 3-4 kinds of
> cold cereal, white and chocolate cake mixes, ~3 flavors of Jello, but a
> whole rack labeled for about 40 flavors of LifeSavers! Ground beef, good
> quality and ground to order, was $.69/lb Dad bragged he never charged
> more than $.99/lb. for steak.

That was good money for meat back then. We married in 1960 and had two
kids by '63. Could go to the local Weingarten's supermarket and haul two
baskets of groceries out for about $50.00. Of course we grew a lot of
our own vegetables, cow and calf, goats, pigs, chicken, rabbits, and
duck so didn't need to buy much meat.

> I don't remember eating pizza until the mid 60s, in college. And in New
> England where all our Chinese restaurants were Cantonese, chow
> mein was about as exotic as it got.

I think it was mid-sixties when Pizza Hut came to town and that's the
first time we even knew about pizza. There must be a dozen pizza joints
within two mile of our home now.

> The basement was always called a cellar there, and getting there was
> "going down cellar." Neighbors shared telephone service, running back
> and forth the announce or answer calls which were few.

Cellars in my part of Texas were called "indoor swimming pools." Ground
water was down about three feet at most.

> Neighbors had coal delivered through a cellar window chute and coal had
> to be shoveled into the furnace. We heated for a long time with a
> kerosene stove. Our coal furnace had been donated to the WWII effort
> for the metal. We finally got an oil furnace and hot water in about
> 1955. No more heating bath or dish water in big kettles on the stove!

Puir things, we always had electricity and natural gas, lots of gas and
oil in Texas.

> When I was a kid in the late '40s everyone drove old pre-war cars and
> the measure of a car was if it could make it up "Weld St. hill"
> in second gear!

Dad bought a 1942 Dodge four door sedan in September 1942, drove it
until 1953, six cylinder, stick shift, had a heater, opened windows for
cool. Got my first car at 12, 1946 Chevrolet two door, six cylinder,
stick shift, had a radio too. Gave my grandmother $25 hard earned money
for it then fixed the problem that was the reason she sold it, drove it
until I went into the Navy in 1957.

> Early TVs had small, ROUND screens. Our radio had a turntable mounted
> under it in a large, ornate wooden cabinet. It had AM and short-wave if
> I remember correctly. And records were all 78rpm and fragile.
> Flashlights were the only things I remember with batteries.
>
> How did we ever live through it?
>
> gloria p

Mom bought a 1953 Motorola "portable" TV, took two grown men to pick it
up, had a 21 inch screen, black and white. Dad climbed a tree outside
the back of the house and put the antenna up there. We got channel two
from Houston, well over a hundred miles away and, occasionally, a
channel from Mexico City. Neighbors came over every Saturday night
bringing their own chairs and snacks just to watch "Saturday Night
Wrestling." Like a big party for the neighborhood. Closest neighbors
were about a half mile away.

Regardless of what we did then I enjoy the here and now,modern medicine
saves lives every day, modern transportation is actually cheaper and
last longer than the old stuff, and I love all the modern electronics.
Thanks for the memories though.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 6:23:34 PM UTC-4, Marilyn wrote:
> I've gotten to the point where I don't like to use jars that are not
> specifically marketed for canning, but the jars that the Classico brand of
> spaghetti sauce comes in are labeled as Atlas mason jars. Now, I know that
> once upon a time, there were Atlas jars that were told for home canning, but
> I'm told that the jars the spaghetti sauce comes in are not exactly the same
> and that they are thinner. Some people say they use them, others say that
> they are not made to be reused over and over again and that they have a high
> rate of seal failure and breakage.
>
> I prefer not to, but what's the consensus here?
>
> National Center for Home Food Preservation says you can use commercial jars
> for acid foods, i.e., those you BWB, but expect that they might not seal
> properly or the jars might break.
>
> I'm asking this because well-meaning coworkers of my husband keep bringing
> him the jars because they know I can and I have told him that I don't want
> jars unless they are "real" canning jars, but they want a detailed
> explanation. I already gave them the info from the NCHFP, word for word. I
> don't want to sound like an ingrate, but honestly, I invest too much time
> and energy into canning to have things fail because the jars weren't good.
>
> --
> -Marilyn

When I first saw them I believe I contacted the companmy who makes them and they say they are genuine. "if it says Atlas it is a genuine Atlas jar" FWIW, Kitty
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 6:23:34 PM UTC-4, Marilyn wrote:
> I've gotten to the point where I don't like to use jars that are not
> specifically marketed for canning, but the jars that the Classico brand of
> spaghetti sauce comes in are labeled as Atlas mason jars. Now, I know that
> once upon a time, there were Atlas jars that were told for home canning, but
> I'm told that the jars the spaghetti sauce comes in are not exactly the same
> and that they are thinner. Some people say they use them, others say that
> they are not made to be reused over and over again and that they have a high
> rate of seal failure and breakage.
>
> I prefer not to, but what's the consensus here?
>
> National Center for Home Food Preservation says you can use commercial jars
> for acid foods, i.e., those you BWB, but expect that they might not seal
> properly or the jars might break.
>
> I'm asking this because well-meaning coworkers of my husband keep bringing
> him the jars because they know I can and I have told him that I don't want
> jars unless they are "real" canning jars, but they want a detailed
> explanation. I already gave them the info from the NCHFP, word for word. I
> don't want to sound like an ingrate, but honestly, I invest too much time
> and energy into canning to have things fail because the jars weren't good.
>
> --
> -Marilyn

Does anyone know where to buy the Atlas jars without buying classico sauce?
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/26/2015 5:57 PM, wrote:
> On Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 6:23:34 PM UTC-4, Marilyn wrote:
>> I've gotten to the point where I don't like to use jars that are not
>> specifically marketed for canning, but the jars that the Classico brand of
>> spaghetti sauce comes in are labeled as Atlas mason jars. Now, I know that
>> once upon a time, there were Atlas jars that were told for home canning, but
>> I'm told that the jars the spaghetti sauce comes in are not exactly the same
>> and that they are thinner. Some people say they use them, others say that
>> they are not made to be reused over and over again and that they have a high
>> rate of seal failure and breakage.
>>
>> I prefer not to, but what's the consensus here?
>>
>> National Center for Home Food Preservation says you can use commercial jars
>> for acid foods, i.e., those you BWB, but expect that they might not seal
>> properly or the jars might break.
>>
>> I'm asking this because well-meaning coworkers of my husband keep bringing
>> him the jars because they know I can and I have told him that I don't want
>> jars unless they are "real" canning jars, but they want a detailed
>> explanation. I already gave them the info from the NCHFP, word for word. I
>> don't want to sound like an ingrate, but honestly, I invest too much time
>> and energy into canning to have things fail because the jars weren't good.
>>
>> --
>> -Marilyn

> Does anyone know where to buy the Atlas jars without buying classico sauce?

A few years ago Classico went to the common lid that other manufacturers
use. Mason jar rings and lids no longer seal on them. There are places
on line to buy the same lid that the big manufacturers use.

I've only ever seen the Atlas jars with Classico sauce in them. Atlas
was a brand name canning jar many years ago as we were still using and
buying them in the forties and fifties. That's if an old memory is
correct. A little search on line shows that the OLD Atlas jars have some
value but not as modern canning jars.

Probably best to stick with Ball and Kerr mason jars for your canning
nowadays. We have modern canning jars that are at least fifty years old
and they're still holding goodies if handled properly. I can only
remember having two canning jars break while I was filling them so they
do last a long time.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2015-08-26 23:36:05 +0000, George Shirley said:

> On 8/26/2015 5:57 PM, wrote:
>> On Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 6:23:34 PM UTC-4, Marilyn wrote:
>>> I've gotten to the point where I don't like to use jars that are not
>>> specifically marketed for canning, but the jars that the Classico brand of
>>> spaghetti sauce comes in are labeled as Atlas mason jars. Now, I know that
>>> once upon a time, there were Atlas jars that were told for home canning, but
>>> I'm told that the jars the spaghetti sauce comes in are not exactly the same
>>> and that they are thinner. Some people say they use them, others say that
>>> they are not made to be reused over and over again and that they have a high
>>> rate of seal failure and breakage.
>>>
>>> I prefer not to, but what's the consensus here?
>>>
>>> National Center for Home Food Preservation says you can use commercial jars
>>> for acid foods, i.e., those you BWB, but expect that they might not seal
>>> properly or the jars might break.
>>>
>>> I'm asking this because well-meaning coworkers of my husband keep bringing
>>> him the jars because they know I can and I have told him that I don't want
>>> jars unless they are "real" canning jars, but they want a detailed
>>> explanation. I already gave them the info from the NCHFP, word for word. I
>>> don't want to sound like an ingrate, but honestly, I invest too much time
>>> and energy into canning to have things fail because the jars weren't good.
>>>
>>> --
>>> -Marilyn

>> Does anyone know where to buy the Atlas jars without buying classico sauce?
>>

> A few years ago Classico went to the common lid that other
> manufacturers use. Mason jar rings and lids no longer seal on them.
> There are places on line to buy the same lid that the big manufacturers
> use.
>
> I've only ever seen the Atlas jars with Classico sauce in them. Atlas
> was a brand name canning jar many years ago as we were still using and
> buying them in the forties and fifties. That's if an old memory is
> correct. A little search on line shows that the OLD Atlas jars have
> some value but not as modern canning jars.
>
> Probably best to stick with Ball and Kerr mason jars for your canning
> nowadays. We have modern canning jars that are at least fifty years old
> and they're still holding goodies if handled properly. I can only
> remember having two canning jars break while I was filling them so they
> do last a long time.
>
> George

Have you seen/tried one lately, Jorge? Seems I read that Classico
caved to public wishes and went back to a jar that takes a standard
canning jar lid.
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013