Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Bruschetta

I am looking at the recipe for "Bruschetta in a Jar" that's in the Ball
Complete Book of Home Preserving. The recipe calls for dry white wine. I
don't drink and I don't like to use alcohol in my cooking, other than what's
in vanilla extract, etc. My question is what can I substitute for the wine
and have the recipe still okay for preserving? It also calls for white wine
vinegar. Could I just use the vinegar for both and leave out the wine?

--
-Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Marilyn wrote:
> I am looking at the recipe for "Bruschetta in a Jar" that's in the Ball
> Complete Book of Home Preserving. The recipe calls for dry white wine. I
> don't drink and I don't like to use alcohol in my cooking, other than what's
> in vanilla extract, etc. My question is what can I substitute for the wine
> and have the recipe still okay for preserving? It also calls for white wine
> vinegar. Could I just use the vinegar for both and leave out the wine?

Marilyn: When alcoholic beverages are used in cooking the alcohol cooks
out to atmosphere in just a few moments, leaving behind the flavor of
the beverage and no alcohol.

I would suspect that doubling the vinegar would be a bit more sour than
you want. HTH
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Marilyn wrote:
>> I am looking at the recipe for "Bruschetta in a Jar" that's in the
>> Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. The recipe calls for dry white
>> wine. I don't drink and I don't like to use alcohol in my cooking,
>> other than what's in vanilla extract, etc. My question is what can I
>> substitute for the wine and have the recipe still okay for
>> preserving? It also calls for white wine vinegar. Could I just use
>> the vinegar for both and leave out the wine?
>>

> Marilyn: When alcoholic beverages are used in cooking the alcohol cooks
> out to atmosphere in just a few moments, leaving behind the flavor of
> the beverage and no alcohol.

Actually, it doesn't. If you cook it a long time, you can get rid of
most of the alcohol. A good rule of thumb (and you know how inaccurate
those can be) is half the alcohol cooks away.

> I would suspect that doubling the vinegar would be a bit more sour than
> you want. HTH

I would probably use cheap "industrial grade" basalmic vinegar. Maybe
for both the wine and the vinegar. HTH

Bob

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> Marilyn: When alcoholic beverages are used in cooking the alcohol cooks
> out to atmosphere in just a few moments, leaving behind the flavor of
> the beverage and no alcohol.

Only if you want to remove the taste of alchohol. People who are alergic,
addicted or taking medicine that reacts to alcohol (including cardiac/
hypertension) or are relgiously opposed to the consumption of alcohol,
do not get enough out that way.

If you just object to the taste, use the wine vinegar. It won't taste exactly
the same, but you may like it anyway.

Geoff.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Dave Balderstone wrote:

> Use white grape juice instead of the wine. Don't double the vinegar,
> you almost certainly will hate the resulting flavour.

I disagree.

White grape juice may be a problem. Someone suggested on another list I am
on to use it instead of sugar as a "natural" substitute. She had specified
Welch's so I went to their web site and looked it up. It had half again more
sugar than Coca-Cola.

I would rather have it balanced, not sour tasting, but given a choice between
too sour and too sweet, I'd go for too sour.

Geoff.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> Marilyn wrote:
>> I am looking at the recipe for "Bruschetta in a Jar" that's in the Ball
>> Complete Book of Home Preserving. The recipe calls for dry white wine.
>> I don't drink and I don't like to use alcohol in my cooking, other than
>> what's in vanilla extract, etc. My question is what can I substitute for
>> the wine and have the recipe still okay for preserving? It also calls
>> for white wine vinegar. Could I just use the vinegar for both and leave
>> out the wine?
>>

> Marilyn: When alcoholic beverages are used in cooking the alcohol cooks
> out to atmosphere in just a few moments, leaving behind the flavor of the
> beverage and no alcohol.
>
> I would suspect that doubling the vinegar would be a bit more sour than
> you want. HTH

You can tell me that all I want, but I still don't want to use the alcohol
in my cooking.

--
-Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> George Shirley wrote:
>> Marilyn wrote:
>>> I am looking at the recipe for "Bruschetta in a Jar" that's in the Ball
>>> Complete Book of Home Preserving. The recipe calls for dry white wine.
>>> I don't drink and I don't like to use alcohol in my cooking, other than
>>> what's in vanilla extract, etc. My question is what can I substitute
>>> for the wine and have the recipe still okay for preserving? It also
>>> calls for white wine vinegar. Could I just use the vinegar for both and
>>> leave out the wine?
>>>

>> Marilyn: When alcoholic beverages are used in cooking the alcohol cooks
>> out to atmosphere in just a few moments, leaving behind the flavor of the
>> beverage and no alcohol.

> Actually, it doesn't. If you cook it a long time, you can get rid of most
> of the alcohol. A good rule of thumb (and you know how inaccurate those
> can be) is half the alcohol cooks away.
>
>> I would suspect that doubling the vinegar would be a bit more sour than
>> you want. HTH

> I would probably use cheap "industrial grade" basalmic vinegar. Maybe for
> both the wine and the vinegar. HTH
>
> Bob

I have balsamic vinegar. I get the kind they sell at Costco.

--
-Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Marilyn wrote:

> I am looking at the recipe for "Bruschetta in a Jar" that's in the Ball
> Complete Book of Home Preserving. The recipe calls for dry white wine. I
> don't drink and I don't like to use alcohol in my cooking, other than what's
> in vanilla extract, etc. My question is what can I substitute for the wine
> and have the recipe still okay for preserving? It also calls for white wine
> vinegar. Could I just use the vinegar for both and leave out the wine?

Your best best would be to use dealcoholized wine

http://www.carljungwines.com
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" > wrote in message
> George Shirley wrote:
>
>> Marilyn: When alcoholic beverages are used in cooking the alcohol cooks
>> out to atmosphere in just a few moments, leaving behind the flavor of
>> the beverage and no alcohol.

> Only if you want to remove the taste of alchohol. People who are alergic,
> addicted or taking medicine that reacts to alcohol (including cardiac/
> hypertension) or are relgiously opposed to the consumption of alcohol,
> do not get enough out that way.
>
> If you just object to the taste, use the wine vinegar. It won't taste
> exactly
> the same, but you may like it anyway.
>
> Geoff.
>
> --
> Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel N3OWJ/4X1GM

That's what I'm concerned about. It's sort of like telling a vegan, well,
there's only a little meat there so it will be okay. It's not okay, though,
if someone is living by a certain code and does not wish to have the alcohol
in there at all.

--
-Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Dave Balderstone" > wrote in message
news:120920091423185734%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
> In article >, Marilyn
> > wrote:
>
>> I am looking at the recipe for "Bruschetta in a Jar" that's in the Ball
>> Complete Book of Home Preserving. The recipe calls for dry white wine.
>> don't drink and I don't like to use alcohol in my cooking, other than
>> what's
>> in vanilla extract, etc. My question is what can I substitute for the
>> wine
>> and have the recipe still okay for preserving? It also calls for white
>> wine
>> vinegar. Could I just use the vinegar for both and leave out the wine?

> Use white grape juice instead of the wine. Don't double the vinegar,
> you almost certainly will hate the resulting flavour.

Oh, good. I'll get some white grape juice then and try it that way.

--
-Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

RegForte wrote:

> Your best best would be to use dealcoholized wine
>
> http://www.carljungwines.com

In red letters on the top and bottom of the page:

"All of our wines contain .2% Alcohol"

Geoff.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Marilyn wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>> George Shirley wrote:
>>>>
>>> Marilyn: When alcoholic beverages are used in cooking the alcohol cooks
>>> out to atmosphere in just a few moments, leaving behind the flavor of the
>>> beverage and no alcohol.

>> Actually, it doesn't. If you cook it a long time, you can get rid of most
>> of the alcohol. A good rule of thumb (and you know how inaccurate those
>> can be) is half the alcohol cooks away.
>>
>>> I would suspect that doubling the vinegar would be a bit more sour than
>>> you want. HTH

>> I would probably use cheap "industrial grade" basalmic vinegar. Maybe for
>> both the wine and the vinegar. HTH
>>
>> Bob
>>

> I have balsamic vinegar. I get the kind they sell at Costco.

That's the stuff. (I didn't buy mine at Costco, but it was a 750 ml or
larger bottle for just couple of dollars.)

Or you can just leave out the wine completely and add a little water at
the end if it's too thick.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> RegForte wrote:
>
>>Your best best would be to use dealcoholized wine
>>
>>http://www.carljungwines.com

> In red letters on the top and bottom of the page:
>
> "All of our wines contain .2% Alcohol"
>
> Geoff.

Clearly. But, the OP did say a non-zero amount of alcohol is
acceptable to her. Vanilla extract contains alcohol,
etc, and she's OK with that. So it's a question of amount.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Marilyn wrote:
> That's what I'm concerned about. It's sort of like telling a vegan, well,
> there's only a little meat there so it will be okay. It's not okay, though,
> if someone is living by a certain code and does not wish to have the alcohol
> in there at all.

If that's the case, then you can avoid it in vanilla by using a whole bean.

You scrape the seeds out, and use them. You can also blend the pod in some
water, but it gives it a "woody" texture.

Real vanilla beans are relatively cheap if you buy them from a restaurant
supply, I get mine in packs of 25.

I got this from Gordon Ramsay in his dessert cookbook and one of his "how to"
videos. The book is better for you if you object to his language in the shows.
:-)

BTW, IMHO you should not overdo bruschetta. Toasted bread with simple toppings
is good, things that are too complex get muddled. If you can't identify
everything in the topping, you have too many things. :-)

Geoff.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> RegForte wrote:
>> Your best best would be to use dealcoholized wine
>>
>> http://www.carljungwines.com

> In red letters on the top and bottom of the page:
>
> "All of our wines contain .2% Alcohol"
>
> Geoff.

I wouldn't be surprised if *bread* contains .2% alcohol. It is almost
impossible to get rid of the last little bit if there's any water
present. Using 1/2 cup of .2% dealcoholized wine in a recipe
contributes about the same amount of ethanol as... (getting out
calculator) 1/8 tsp of vanilla extract or 1/16 tsp of lemon extract.
(would be a lot easier to calculate in metric grumblegrumble)

Nothing wrong with trying to eliminate that, just making sure it's an
informed decision. :-)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Marilyn" > wrote:

> "Dave Balderstone" > wrote in message
> news:120920091423185734%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
> > In article >, Marilyn
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I am looking at the recipe for "Bruschetta in a Jar" that's in the Ball
> >> Complete Book of Home Preserving. The recipe calls for dry white wine.
> >> don't drink and I don't like to use alcohol in my cooking, other than
> >> what's
> >> in vanilla extract, etc. My question is what can I substitute for the
> >> wine
> >> and have the recipe still okay for preserving? It also calls for white
> >> wine
> >> vinegar. Could I just use the vinegar for both and leave out the wine?

> > Use white grape juice instead of the wine. Don't double the vinegar,
> > you almost certainly will hate the resulting flavour.

> Oh, good. I'll get some white grape juice then and try it that way.

Don't expect the same taste, though. White grape juice is often used in
no-sugar-added jams as the sweetener and in my head it's going to add a
sweeter taste than dry white wine would. Maybe I'm wrong.
-B
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" > wrote:

> Dave Balderstone wrote:
>
> > Use white grape juice instead of the wine. Don't double the vinegar,
> > you almost certainly will hate the resulting flavour.

> I disagree.
>
> White grape juice may be a problem. Someone suggested on another list I am
> on to use it instead of sugar as a "natural" substitute. She had specified
> Welch's so I went to their web site and looked it up. It had half again more
> sugar than Coca-Cola.
>
> I would rather have it balanced, not sour tasting, but given a choice between
> too sour and too sweet, I'd go for too sour.
>
> Geoff.

Hear, hear.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
it out. And check this, too: <http://www.kare11.com/news/
newsatfour/newsatfour_article.aspx?storyid=823232&catid=323>
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Marilyn" > wrote:
> That's what I'm concerned about. It's sort of like telling a vegan, well,
> there's only a little meat there so it will be okay. It's not okay, though,
> if someone is living by a certain code and does not wish to have the alcohol
> in there at all.

Understood.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
it out. And check this, too: <http://www.kare11.com/news/
newsatfour/newsatfour_article.aspx?storyid=823232&catid=323>
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Marilyn wrote:

>>> Actually, it doesn't. If you cook it a long time, you can get rid of
>>> most of the alcohol. A good rule of thumb (and you know how inaccurate
>>> those can be) is half the alcohol cooks away.

>>> I would probably use cheap "industrial grade" basalmic vinegar. Maybe
>>> for both the wine and the vinegar. HTH
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>

>> I have balsamic vinegar. I get the kind they sell at Costco.
>>

> That's the stuff. (I didn't buy mine at Costco, but it was a 750 ml or
> larger bottle for just couple of dollars.)
>
> Or you can just leave out the wine completely and add a little water at
> the end if it's too thick.
>
> Bob

I just wanted to make sure that it didn't affect the ph of the product since
it's water-bathed. Ordinarily when I cook and have a recipe that calls for
the alcohol, I just leave it out and add a little water to take up the
slack.

--
-Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" > wrote in message
> RegForte wrote:
>>
>> Your best best would be to use dealcoholized wine
>>
>> http://www.carljungwines.com

> In red letters on the top and bottom of the page:
>
> "All of our wines contain .2% Alcohol"
>
> Geoff.

Yep, there is no such thing as completely alcohol-free wine.

--
-Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"RegForte" > wrote in message
> Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
>
>> RegForte wrote:
>>
>>>Your best best would be to use dealcoholized wine
>>>
>>>http://www.carljungwines.com

>> In red letters on the top and bottom of the page:
>>
>> "All of our wines contain .2% Alcohol"
>>
>> Geoff.
>>

> Clearly. But, the OP did say a non-zero amount of alcohol is
> acceptable to her. Vanilla extract contains alcohol,
> etc, and she's OK with that. So it's a question of amount.

Vanilla extract is used in a lot smaller amounts such as a teaspoon in baked
goods as opposed to using an entire 8 ounces of wine in a recipe.

--
-Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" > wrote in message
> Marilyn wrote:
>> That's what I'm concerned about. It's sort of like telling a vegan,
>> well,
>> there's only a little meat there so it will be okay. It's not okay,
>> though,
>> if someone is living by a certain code and does not wish to have the
>> alcohol
>> in there at all.

> If that's the case, then you can avoid it in vanilla by using a whole
> bean.
>
> You scrape the seeds out, and use them. You can also blend the pod in some
> water, but it gives it a "woody" texture.
>
> Real vanilla beans are relatively cheap if you buy them from a restaurant
> supply, I get mine in packs of 25.
>
> I got this from Gordon Ramsay in his dessert cookbook and one of his "how
> to"
> videos. The book is better for you if you object to his language in the
> shows.
> :-)
>
> BTW, IMHO you should not overdo bruschetta. Toasted bread with simple
> toppings
> is good, things that are too complex get muddled. If you can't identify
> everything in the topping, you have too many things. :-)
>

> Geoff.

The recipe in the book calls for garlic, tomatoes, white wine, white wine
vinegar, water, sugar, dried basil, dried oregano and balsamic vinegar.

I think maybe we're splitting hairs on the whole alcohol thing, though. I
don't want to buy wine or use it, but I do want the ph of the product to be
suitable for water-bath canning. As long as it doesn't alter that with
using water instead of wine, then I'm okay with a slight taste variation.

--
-Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Marilyn" > wrote:
>
>> "Dave Balderstone" > wrote in message
>> news:120920091423185734%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
>> > In article >, Marilyn

>> > Use white grape juice instead of the wine. Don't double the vinegar,
>> > you almost certainly will hate the resulting flavour.

>> Oh, good. I'll get some white grape juice then and try it that way.

> Don't expect the same taste, though. White grape juice is often used in
> no-sugar-added jams as the sweetener and in my head it's going to add a
> sweeter taste than dry white wine would. Maybe I'm wrong.
> -B
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

I wonder if I can find unsweetened white grape juice. If I could get it as
tart as the purple grape juice I make from my own grapes, then it wouldn't
be sweet at all.

--
-Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Marilyn wrote:

> I wonder if I can find unsweetened white grape juice. If I could get it as
> tart as the purple grape juice I make from my own grapes, then it wouldn't
> be sweet at all.

It will still be too sweet.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Marilyn wrote:

> Vanilla extract is used in a lot smaller amounts such as a teaspoon in baked
> goods as opposed to using an entire 8 ounces of wine in a recipe.

Like I said, it's a question of amount. You have yet to grace us
with exactly what that amount is.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Marilyn" > wrote in message
>I am looking at the recipe for "Bruschetta in a Jar" that's in the Ball
> Complete Book of Home Preserving. The recipe calls for dry white wine. I
> don't drink and I don't like to use alcohol in my cooking, other than
> what's
> in vanilla extract, etc. My question is what can I substitute for the
> wine
> and have the recipe still okay for preserving? It also calls for white
> wine
> vinegar. Could I just use the vinegar for both and leave out the wine?
>
> --
> -Marilyn

Marilyn,

I've made this recipe and I think you should just leave out the wine. IMO,
white grape juice would add sweetness where white wine does not, and more
vinegar would make it more vinegary. Someone suggested to add water if it's
too thick, so that's what I would do. But I would NOT substitute anything
else, as it would alter the original flavour.

HTH,
Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Marilyn wrote:

> Vanilla extract is used in a lot smaller amounts such as a teaspoon in baked
> goods as opposed to using an entire 8 ounces of wine in a recipe.

Just for the heck of it I did the math.

Vanilla extract contain a minimum of 35% alcohol (in the US,
anyway). The dealcoholized wine contains 0.2% alcohol. Based
on this:

1 teaspoon of vanilla extract contains: 1.6 grams of alcohol
8 oz of dealcoholized wine contains: 0.5 grams of alcohol

In those amounts the dose of alcohol is 3 times as high
from the vanilla as from the non-alcohol wine.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"RegForte" > wrote in message
> Marilyn wrote:
>

>> Vanilla extract is used in a lot smaller amounts such as a teaspoon in
>> baked goods as opposed to using an entire 8 ounces of wine in a recipe.
>>

> Like I said, it's a question of amount. You have yet to grace us
> with exactly what that amount is.

I can't give you an exact amount. I just would prefer not to use it and I
need to know if I can substitute water or vinegar and not affect the
preserving process.

--
-Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Kathi Jones" > wrote in message

> "Marilyn" > wrote in message
>>I am looking at the recipe for "Bruschetta in a Jar" that's in the Ball
>> Complete Book of Home Preserving. The recipe calls for dry white wine.
>> don't drink and I don't like to use alcohol in my cooking, other than
>> what's
>> in vanilla extract, etc. My question is what can I substitute for the
>> wine
>> and have the recipe still okay for preserving? It also calls for white
>> wine
>> vinegar. Could I just use the vinegar for both and leave out the wine?
>>
>> --
>> -Marilyn
>>

> Marilyn,
>
> I've made this recipe and I think you should just leave out the wine.
> IMO, white grape juice would add sweetness where white wine does not, and
> more vinegar would make it more vinegary. Someone suggested to add water
> if it's too thick, so that's what I would do. But I would NOT substitute
> anything else, as it would alter the original flavour.
>
> HTH,
> Kathi

Thanks, Kathi. And thanks to everyone for the input. As I said, I'm not
really interested in splitting hairs about how much alcohol is too much or
whatever, I just want to make the recipe without it.

--
-Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Marilyn" > wrote in message
> "Kathi Jones" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Marilyn" > wrote in message
>>>I am looking at the recipe for "Bruschetta in a Jar" that's in the Ball
>>> Complete Book of Home Preserving. The recipe calls for dry white wine.
>>> don't drink and I don't like to use alcohol in my cooking, other than
>>> what's
>>> in vanilla extract, etc. My question is what can I substitute for the
>>> wine
>>> and have the recipe still okay for preserving? It also calls for white
>>> wine
>>> vinegar. Could I just use the vinegar for both and leave out the wine?
>>>
>>> --
>>> -Marilyn
>>>

>> Marilyn,
>>
>> I've made this recipe and I think you should just leave out the wine.
>> IMO, white grape juice would add sweetness where white wine does not, and
>> more vinegar would make it more vinegary. Someone suggested to add water
>> if it's too thick, so that's what I would do. But I would NOT substitute
>> anything else, as it would alter the original flavour.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Kathi

> Thanks, Kathi. And thanks to everyone for the input. As I said, I'm not
> really interested in splitting hairs about how much alcohol is too much or
> whatever, I just want to make the recipe without it.
>

> --
> -Marilyn

I was just remembering that recipe. I liked it, but it was very watery
(well, mine was anyway) so don't add the water until you're sure you need
it.

good luck ;-) I'd like to hear about your results.

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Marilyn" > wrote:

> "Kathi Jones" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Marilyn" > wrote in message
> >>I am looking at the recipe for "Bruschetta in a Jar" that's in the Ball
> >> Complete Book of Home Preserving. The recipe calls for dry white wine.
> >> don't drink and I don't like to use alcohol in my cooking, other than
> >> what's
> >> in vanilla extract, etc. My question is what can I substitute for the
> >> wine
> >> and have the recipe still okay for preserving? It also calls for white
> >> wine
> >> vinegar. Could I just use the vinegar for both and leave out the wine?
> >>
> >> --
> >> -Marilyn
> >>

> > Marilyn,
> >
> > I've made this recipe and I think you should just leave out the wine.
> > IMO, white grape juice would add sweetness where white wine does not, and
> > more vinegar would make it more vinegary. Someone suggested to add water
> > if it's too thick, so that's what I would do. But I would NOT substitute
> > anything else, as it would alter the original flavour.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Kathi

> Thanks, Kathi. And thanks to everyone for the input. As I said, I'm not
> really interested in splitting hairs about how much alcohol is too much or
> whatever, I just want to make the recipe without it.

Hmmm ...

Just a thought ... Is it alcohol are you against OR is it gluten?
I avoid alcohol because the gluten in it rips me apart. However, most
balsamic vinegars has gluten it as well. Not all vinegars are alike.
Their are some gluten free makers of alcohol out there, somewhere. I
just simply avoid all forms of alcohol- simpler - not for religious
reasons.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Dan L." > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Marilyn" > wrote:

>> > Marilyn,
>> >
>> > I've made this recipe and I think you should just leave out the wine.
>> > IMO, white grape juice would add sweetness where white wine does not,
>> > and
>> > more vinegar would make it more vinegary. Someone suggested to add
>> > water
>> > if it's too thick, so that's what I would do. But I would NOT
>> > substitute
>> > anything else, as it would alter the original flavour.
>> >
>> > HTH,
>> > Kathi

>> Thanks, Kathi. And thanks to everyone for the input. As I said, I'm not
>> really interested in splitting hairs about how much alcohol is too much
>> or
>> whatever, I just want to make the recipe without it.

> Hmmm ...
>
> Just a thought ... Is it alcohol are you against OR is it gluten?
> I avoid alcohol because the gluten in it rips me apart. However, most
> balsamic vinegars has gluten it as well. Not all vinegars are alike.
> Their are some gluten free makers of alcohol out there, somewhere. I
> just simply avoid all forms of alcohol- simpler - not for religious
> reasons.
>
> Enjoy Life ... Dan

Nope, I haven't got any problems with gluten. I make my own whole-wheat
bread a lot. The no-alcohol rule is mostly for religious reasons.

--
-Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Marilyn" > wrote:

> "Dan L." > wrote in message
> > In article >,

> >> Thanks, Kathi. And thanks to everyone for the input. As I said, I'm not
> >> really interested in splitting hairs about how much alcohol is too much
> >> or
> >> whatever, I just want to make the recipe without it.

> > Hmmm ...
> >
> > Just a thought ... Is it alcohol are you against OR is it gluten?
> > I avoid alcohol because the gluten in it rips me apart. However, most
> > balsamic vinegars has gluten it as well. Not all vinegars are alike.
> > Their are some gluten free makers of alcohol out there, somewhere. I
> > just simply avoid all forms of alcohol- simpler - not for religious
> > reasons.
> >
> > Enjoy Life ... Dan

> Nope, I haven't got any problems with gluten. I make my own whole-wheat
> bread a lot. The no-alcohol rule is mostly for religious reasons.

Home made wheat bread... there's no substitute... sigh... sobbing...

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Dan L." > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Marilyn" > wrote:
>
>> "Dan L." > wrote in message

>> > Hmmm ...
>> >
>> > Just a thought ... Is it alcohol are you against OR is it gluten?
>> > I avoid alcohol because the gluten in it rips me apart. However, most
>> > balsamic vinegars has gluten it as well. Not all vinegars are alike.
>> > Their are some gluten free makers of alcohol out there, somewhere. I
>> > just simply avoid all forms of alcohol- simpler - not for religious
>> > reasons.
>> >
>> > Enjoy Life ... Dan

>> Nope, I haven't got any problems with gluten. I make my own whole-wheat
>> bread a lot. The no-alcohol rule is mostly for religious reasons.

> Home made wheat bread... there's no substitute... sigh... sobbing...
>
> Enjoy Life ... Dan

I know, I know...one of my friends has a severe allergy to gluten and so do
her kids. Apparently there's a genetic component.

--
-Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Marilyn wrote:
> I am looking at the recipe for "Bruschetta in a Jar" that's in the
> Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. The recipe calls for dry
> white wine. I don't drink and I don't like to use alcohol in my
> cooking, other than what's in vanilla extract, etc. My question is
> what can I substitute for the wine and have the recipe still okay for
> preserving? It also calls for white wine vinegar. Could I just use
> the vinegar for both and leave out the wine?

Apple juice and to be sure, use citric acid in the same quantity that
tomatoes call for.

And no, all alcohol doesn't cook away:
http://www.ochef.com/165.htm

B/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

RegForte wrote:
> Marilyn wrote:
>

>> Vanilla extract is used in a lot smaller amounts such as a teaspoon in baked
>> goods as opposed to using an entire 8 ounces of wine in a recipe.
>>

> Like I said, it's a question of amount. You have yet to grace us
> with exactly what that amount is.

Sounds like "as little as possible." Seems like a reasonable concept.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Brian Mailman wrote:

> RegForte wrote:
>
>> Marilyn wrote:
>>

>>> Vanilla extract is used in a lot smaller amounts such as a teaspoon
>>> in baked goods as opposed to using an entire 8 ounces of wine in a
>>> recipe.
>>>

>> Like I said, it's a question of amount. You have yet to grace us
>> with exactly what that amount is.

> Sounds like "as little as possible." Seems like a reasonable concept.
>
> B/

Well, no. As litte as possible would be "zero". It's
already been established that it's non-zero.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
m...
> Marilyn wrote:
>> I am looking at the recipe for "Bruschetta in a Jar" that's in the
>> Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. The recipe calls for dry
>> white wine. I don't drink and I don't like to use alcohol in my
>> cooking, other than what's in vanilla extract, etc. My question is
>> what can I substitute for the wine and have the recipe still okay for
>> preserving? It also calls for white wine vinegar. Could I just use
>> the vinegar for both and leave out the wine?

> Apple juice and to be sure, use citric acid in the same quantity that
> tomatoes call for.
>
> And no, all alcohol doesn't cook away:
> http://www.ochef.com/165.htm
>
> B/

You don't think that will make it too sweet, the addition of apple juice?
I've substituted it before in other recipes.

--
-Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Marilyn wrote:
> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> m...
>> Marilyn wrote:
>>> I am looking at the recipe for "Bruschetta in a Jar" that's in the
>>> Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. The recipe calls for dry
>>> white wine. I don't drink and I don't like to use alcohol in my
>>> cooking, other than what's in vanilla extract, etc. My question is
>>> what can I substitute for the wine and have the recipe still okay for
>>> preserving? It also calls for white wine vinegar. Could I just use
>>> the vinegar for both and leave out the wine?

>> Apple juice and to be sure, use citric acid in the same quantity that
>> tomatoes call for.
>>
>> And no, all alcohol doesn't cook away:
>> http://www.ochef.com/165.htm

> You don't think that will make it too sweet, the addition of apple juice?
> I've substituted it before in other recipes.

I can't remember where I read it, and I'm too full of dinner right now
to do a search on wine substitutions but I do remember a chart of
non-alcoholic substitutions. Apple juice was suggested for white wine.
Perhaps if your concerned about sweetness you can add an acid
component such as lemon juice--which would kill the pH bird with the
same stone.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

RegForte wrote:
> Brian Mailman wrote:
>
>> RegForte wrote:

>>> Like I said, it's a question of amount. You have yet to grace us
>>> with exactly what that amount is.

>> Sounds like "as little as possible." Seems like a reasonable concept.

> Well, no. As litte as possible would be "zero". It's
> already been established that it's non-zero.

Well, yes. And you're being silly, twisting concepts out of shape to
try to prove a "point."

B/

Garlic Bruschetta Mom2SamTiny Recipes (moderated) 0 15-12-2006 10:46 AM
looking for bruschetta recipe? SS General Cooking 3 18-11-2006 04:07 PM
BRUSCHETTA Duckie ® Recipes 0 03-07-2005 04:53 PM
Bruschetta Daisy General Cooking 16 01-09-2004 12:18 AM