Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Newbe - Canning Tomatoes?

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>> Dan L. wrote:
>>
>>> The one thing that caught my attention - You do not recommend canning
>>> low PH vegetables? Never canned green beens or corn?
>>>
>>> Hmmm... Vegetables are high on my list. Do I need to rethink this?

>> I never intend to can low pH veggies. Things like green beans and corn
>> freeze really well, and they're scary to me. I'll stick with fruits,
>> jams, and the like.
>>
>> Serene
>>

> As long as you follow the rules pressure canning is also easy, just takes
> some concentration and you have to stay nearby while the canner is
> working. I drag up a chair and get a book to read, glance up frequently to
> make sure pressure is maintained at the correct psig or adjust the heat as
> necessary. Once you get a handle on it you learn exactly how to set the
> heat to maintain the pressure needed. Of course mine is easier than many
> because I live at nineteen feet above sea level. <G>

I hear you there. I've lived pretty much at sea level all my life and my
house is maybe 200 feet above it right now. My kitchen opens out to my
living room so when I'm pressure canning, I can sit on the couch and watch
TV or read a book while monitoring the sound of the weight jiggling on my
canner and I can easily hear the timer go off when it's done. I can also
sit here at the computer in my office because it's just slightly down the
hall from the kitchen and easily within hearing distance.

I happily can green beans and even turkey and I've never been scared about
it because I always follow the processing times strictly. The last thing I
want is for anyone in my family to get sick from anything I've canned.

--
-Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article
>> >,
>> "Dan L." > wrote:
>> (snip)
>>> I am a newbe at canning, so others may know. I think there is a self
>>> life on lids. The rubber decays over time, I am not positive on this.
>>>
>>> Enjoy Life ... Dan L

>> They're no longer made of rubber but of a created "sealing compound" made
>> of mysterious components. I've used lids that have been more than 3
>> years old without incident.
>>
>> My method: when I remove the empty jars from the boiling water so I can
>> fill them, I drop the lids into the water and pull them out as I need
>> them to cover a jar.

> I have a shallow sauce pan that I put about an inch of water in and then
> simmer. The lids go in there. I, too, have used lids three or four years
> old without incident.

Yep, that's what I do, too. Some of my lids are that old. The only ones I
even had problems with were when they were using that gray sealing compound
for awhile. Wasn't it Kerr that used the gray and Ball the red? I know
they're all the same company now and the sealing compound is red for both
brands. I'm currently using Ball lids that our co-op bought from some
liquidator. I think they cost about 65 cents USD for a box of 12.

--
-Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Marilyn wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>> In article
>>> "Dan L." > wrote:
>>> (snip)

>>> They're no longer made of rubber but of a created "sealing compound" made
>>> of mysterious components. I've used lids that have been more than 3
>>> years old without incident.
>>>
>>> My method: when I remove the empty jars from the boiling water so I can
>>> fill them, I drop the lids into the water and pull them out as I need
>>> them to cover a jar.

>> I have a shallow sauce pan that I put about an inch of water in and then
>> simmer. The lids go in there. I, too, have used lids three or four years
>> old without incident.

> Yep, that's what I do, too. Some of my lids are that old. The only ones I
> even had problems with were when they were using that gray sealing compound
> for awhile. Wasn't it Kerr that used the gray and Ball the red? I know
> they're all the same company now and the sealing compound is red for both
> brands. I'm currently using Ball lids that our co-op bought from some
> liquidator. I think they cost about 65 cents USD for a box of 12.

Looked at my notes after reading your post Marilyn, had the same problem
a few years ago and only with the gray sealing compound lids. It only
happened with two out of a box of one dozen but one wasn't discovered
until a month later and the product had to be dumped.

canning tomatoes Dave[_33_] Preserving 3 05-09-2008 02:08 AM
Canning Tomatoes Kswck General Cooking 86 20-08-2007 05:53 AM
Canning Tomatoes.... doug ventura General Cooking 3 06-10-2004 05:26 PM
canning tomatoes Rick MacDougall Preserving 13 02-09-2004 12:04 AM
Canning unpeeled tomatoes me at myaccount dot net Preserving 17 28-08-2004 04:02 PM