FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   Crabapple jelly. (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/175725-crabapple-jelly.html)

[email protected] 17-08-2009 05:36 AM

Crabapple jelly.

Managed to harvest quite a few decent crabapples from one of our Dolgo
trees in spite of the dismal outlook of a few weeks ago.
Steam juiced a load, along with 10 sprigs of fresh rosemary then made
some of the resulting juice into jelly. Needed more rosemary as the
jelly has just a hint of it and we'd prefer more.
Picture on alt.binaries.food

Ross.

Melba's Jammin' 17-08-2009 04:27 PM

Crabapple jelly.

In article >,
wrote:

> Managed to harvest quite a few decent crabapples from one of our Dolgo
> trees in spite of the dismal outlook of a few weeks ago.
> Picture on alt.binaries.food

> Ross.

Ooooh. I'll check a Dolgo tree later this morning. Do you leave the
rosemary in the jelly or strain it out?

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out

[email protected] 17-08-2009 06:06 PM

Crabapple jelly.

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:27:25 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> wrote:
>
>> Managed to harvest quite a few decent crabapples from one of our Dolgo
>> trees in spite of the dismal outlook of a few weeks ago.
>> Picture on alt.binaries.food

>> Ross.

>Ooooh. I'll check a Dolgo tree later this morning. Do you leave the
>rosemary in the jelly or strain it out?

I put it in the Liisa along with the halved crabapples. We're going to
make another batch and this time put the rosemary right in the juice
pan so it gets a chance to steep longer. That last batch is a little
light on rosemary so I want to increase it somewhat but, don't want it
overpowering either. Also, will try a little sprig in half of the jars
to see what that accomplishes.
Whatever the results, it's always nice to be able to eat the results
of experiments.

Ross.