Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Canned pears w/

Anyone every can cinnamon pears with orange peel? How did it come out? Did
you use a light syrup or apple juice?

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"D. Arlington" > wrote:

> Anyone every can cinnamon pears with orange peel? How did it come out? Did
> you use a light syrup or apple juice?

I have not and it sounds interesting. Were I to do it, I believe I
would use a light or very light syrup instead of apple juice. JMO.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
Posted to rec.food.preserving

D. Arlington wrote:
> Anyone every can cinnamon pears with orange peel? How did it come out?
> Did you use a light syrup or apple juice?

Wife made some pear butter years ago when we had bushels of Asian pears;
not cooked down as thick and dark as apple butter, but thicker than
applesauce. It was flavored with ginger; that was a *very* good flavor
combination. (I may still have a jar or two in the basement...)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "D. Arlington" > wrote:
>
>> Anyone every can cinnamon pears with orange peel? How did it come out?
>> Did
>> you use a light syrup or apple juice?

> I have not and it sounds interesting. Were I to do it, I believe I
> would use a light or very light syrup instead of apple juice. JMO.

I used a light syrup, cinnamon sticks and some McCormick ground cinnamon and
they came out delicious. :-) I didn't have time to hit the store for a few
oranges. I made 17 pints.

> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
> Lots of new stuff in the last couple days.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> D. Arlington wrote:
>> Anyone every can cinnamon pears with orange peel? How did it come out?
>> Did you use a light syrup or apple juice?

> Wife made some pear butter years ago when we had bushels of Asian pears;
> not cooked down as thick and dark as apple butter, but thicker than
> applesauce. It was flavored with ginger; that was a *very* good flavor
> combination. (I may still have a jar or two in the basement...)
>
> Bob

Pear butter is delicious. :-) I may make some with the last basket of
pears. I made what we call pear "juice" from the left over light syrup all
the pears were precooked in for 5 minutes. I hot-pack them as per the
Presto Booklet. It's put through a strainer to remove all the cinnamon
sticks and other large particles and chilled. You can't find better in the
stores. ;-)

Posted to rec.food.preserving

D. Arlington wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "D. Arlington" > wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone every can cinnamon pears with orange peel? How did it come
>>> out? Did
>>> you use a light syrup or apple juice?

>> I have not and it sounds interesting. Were I to do it, I believe I
>> would use a light or very light syrup instead of apple juice. JMO.

> I used a light syrup, cinnamon sticks and some McCormick ground cinnamon
> and they came out delicious. :-) I didn't have time to hit the store
> for a few oranges. I made 17 pints.
>
>> --
>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>> http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
>> Lots of new stuff in the last couple days.

I didn't mention it earlier but we have made cinnamon pears with "red
hots", the little cinnamon candies. They turned out very good. I can
post the recipe if anyone is interested. Also made pears with creme de
menthe that were good.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"D. Arlington" > wrote:
> I used a light syrup, cinnamon sticks and some McCormick ground cinnamon and
> they came out delicious. :-) I didn't have time to hit the store for a few
> oranges. I made 17 pints.

Sounds good. If you were inclined to want them pink or red, you could
always add some cinnamon red hots. I sometimes do that with applesauce.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
Lots of new stuff in the last couple days.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

zxcvbob wrote:

> Wife made some pear butter years ago when we had bushels of Asian
> pears; not cooked down as thick and dark as apple butter, but thicker
> than applesauce. It was flavored with ginger; that was a *very* good
> flavor combination. (I may still have a jar or two in the
> basement...)

If you ever do it again, try a pinch or two of white pepper. It
bolsters the ginger and really brings it forward.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> I didn't mention it earlier but we have made cinnamon pears with "red
> hots", the little cinnamon candies. They turned out very good. I can post
> the recipe if anyone is interested. Also made pears with creme de menthe
> that were good.

Where do you get the Red Hots? Who carries them? I'd like your recipe with
the Red Hots.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "D. Arlington" > wrote:
>> I used a light syrup, cinnamon sticks and some McCormick ground cinnamon
>> and
>> they came out delicious. :-) I didn't have time to hit the store for a
>> few
>> oranges. I made 17 pints.

> Sounds good. If you were inclined to want them pink or red, you could
> always add some cinnamon red hots. I sometimes do that with applesauce.

They turn a pale pinkish color from the cinnamon anyway. I haven't seen Red
Hots in years and had completely forgotten about them.

> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
> Lots of new stuff in the last couple days.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

D. Arlington wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>> I didn't mention it earlier but we have made cinnamon pears with "red
>> hots", the little cinnamon candies. They turned out very good. I can
>> post the recipe if anyone is interested. Also made pears with creme de
>> menthe that were good.

> Where do you get the Red Hots? Who carries them? I'd like your recipe
> with the Red Hots.

About any candy store has them. I just buy them at the local Kroger
supermarket on the candy shelf. I will post the recipe later today.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> zxcvbob wrote:
>>
>> Wife made some pear butter years ago when we had bushels of Asian
>> pears; not cooked down as thick and dark as apple butter, but thicker
>> than applesauce. It was flavored with ginger; that was a *very* good
>> flavor combination. (I may still have a jar or two in the
>> basement...)

> If you ever do it again, try a pinch or two of white pepper. It bolsters
> the ginger and really brings it forward.
>
> B/

I *LIKE* that idea!!!

Kathi