Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Calcium chloride

I just did a Google search on amounts of calcium chloride per jar for
pickles.

Pickle crisp call for 3/4 teaspoon per pint and 1 1/2 teaspoons per
quart jar. Everyone I've surveyed who uses the bulk calcium chloride
says they use the same amount in their jars. The bulk stuff has larger
crystals so they are probably putting a wee bit more calcium chloride
per jar but the amounts are easy to follow. HTH
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tue 21 Jul 2009 02:20:48p, George Shirley told us...

> I just did a Google search on amounts of calcium chloride per jar for
> pickles.
>
> Pickle crisp call for 3/4 teaspoon per pint and 1 1/2 teaspoons per
> quart jar. Everyone I've surveyed who uses the bulk calcium chloride
> says they use the same amount in their jars. The bulk stuff has larger
> crystals so they are probably putting a wee bit more calcium chloride
> per jar but the amounts are easy to follow. HTH

I guess I missed the earlier discussion on this, George. Do you simply add
the calcium chloride to each jar when packing the pickles? Will this work
with most any pickle?

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright
My soul is dark with stormy riot, Directly traceable to diet.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 21 Jul 2009 02:20:48p, George Shirley told us...
>
>> I just did a Google search on amounts of calcium chloride per jar for
>> pickles.
>>
>> Pickle crisp call for 3/4 teaspoon per pint and 1 1/2 teaspoons per
>> quart jar. Everyone I've surveyed who uses the bulk calcium chloride
>> says they use the same amount in their jars. The bulk stuff has larger
>> crystals so they are probably putting a wee bit more calcium chloride
>> per jar but the amounts are easy to follow. HTH
>>

> I guess I missed the earlier discussion on this, George. Do you simply add
> the calcium chloride to each jar when packing the pickles? Will this work
> with most any pickle?
>
> TIA

Yes, and Yes. The recipe didn't call for calcium chloride for the B&B
pickles I made for DW but did for the luncheon spears. Both pickles came
out nice and crisp.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Wed 22 Jul 2009 05:55:04a, George Shirley told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Tue 21 Jul 2009 02:20:48p, George Shirley told us...
>>
>>> I just did a Google search on amounts of calcium chloride per jar for
>>> pickles.
>>>
>>> Pickle crisp call for 3/4 teaspoon per pint and 1 1/2 teaspoons per
>>> quart jar. Everyone I've surveyed who uses the bulk calcium chloride
>>> says they use the same amount in their jars. The bulk stuff has larger
>>> crystals so they are probably putting a wee bit more calcium chloride
>>> per jar but the amounts are easy to follow. HTH
>>>

>> I guess I missed the earlier discussion on this, George. Do you simply
>> add the calcium chloride to each jar when packing the pickles? Will
>> this work with most any pickle?
>>
>> TIA
>>

> Yes, and Yes. The recipe didn't call for calcium chloride for the B&B
> pickles I made for DW but did for the luncheon spears. Both pickles came
> out nice and crisp.

Thanks, George. I think I'm going to give that a try istead of the usual
lime water soak.

My recipe for B&B pickles doesn't call for a lime water soak, but only
soaking the cukes and onions in ice water. The results are usually nicely
crisp, but I'd like to try the calcium chloride. However, I have several
other pickle recipes that do call for the lime water soak, and it would be
nice to eliminate that.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Enchant, stay beautiful and graceful, but do this, eat well. Bring

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Jul 22, 11:35*pm, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
> On Wed 22 Jul 2009 05:55:04a, George Shirley told us...
>

> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >> On Tue 21 Jul 2009 02:20:48p, George Shirley told us...

> >> I guess I missed the earlier discussion on this, George. *Do you simply
> >> add the calcium chloride to each jar when packing the pickles? *Will
> >> this work with most any pickle?

> >> TIA

> > Yes, and Yes. The recipe didn't call for calcium chloride for the B&B
> > pickles I made for DW but did for the luncheon spears. Both pickles came
> > out nice and crisp.

> Thanks, George. *I think I'm going to give that a try istead of the usual
> lime water soak.
>
> My recipe for B&B pickles doesn't call for a lime water soak, but only
> soaking the cukes and onions in ice water. *The results are usually nicely
> crisp, but I'd like to try the calcium chloride. *However, I have several
> other pickle recipes that do call for the lime water soak, and it would be
> nice to eliminate that.
>
> --
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Wayne Boatwright * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Wayne,
The amount of calcium chloride that you will use is defendant on
crystal size. You
cannot look up the amount of Pickle Crisp to use (3/4 and 1 1/2
teaspoon) as it is
irrelevant as it is no longer manufactured. You will have to
experiment unless you
can find someone who has done the experimenting for you.
If you order calcium chloride from www.bulkfoods.com, you would use 1
tsp. in pints
and 2 tsp. in quarts. The crystals are larger in size meaning you have
more air spaces
around each pickle.
Add the pickle crisp to each jar just before packing. There will be
some foaming but
don't worry about it. Nothing will explode.
You MUST keep your calcium chloride in a jar when not using. It has
the affinity for
moisture and will become liquid in very humid environments. Use an
empty canning
jar. I actually suck my jar with the Foodsaver with the canning jar
attachment off season
so it does not cake or become liquid.
Just my specific observations.
Oh, one other thing. DO NOT buy non-food grade calcium chloride as it
is not suitable for
consumption. It is also used for melting ice on roads and deicing
airplanes (the non-food
grade).
Calcium Chloride can be used to crisp other pickled items and it used
commercially to
"firm" whole tomatoes and keep them from falling apart in the can.
Hope this helps.
Jim in So. Calif.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

We have done jam three ways. First was just sugar and berries boiled
and transferred to a clean jar which had hot wax as a sealant.
Second boiled like the first and placed in a hot water bath followed
with a lid (Ball stuff) and turned upside down to cooled creating a
vacuum.
Third just froze them and stewed when needed.

Anyone use low-methoxyl citrus pectin been a while and lost the
particulars. We don't jam anymore. May start mustard and have a crock
cooking now.

<http://www.google.com/search?hl>

Use to get this from Walnut acres in the day. Miss them big time.

Bill

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 12/22/2010 1:05 PM, terminator wrote:
> You MUST keep your calcium chloride in a jar when not using. It has
> the affinity for
> moisture and will become liquid in very humid environments. Use an
> empty canning
>
> 'charm bracelets' (http://www.charmnjewelry.com/)
> 'vacances toscane'
> (http://www.holidayhomestuscany.com/l...s-toscane.html)

My original calcium chloride came in packets, I resealed them as I used
the product. The latest version of Pickle Crisp comes in its own jar.
Posted to rec.food.preserving
SDT SDT is offline

>You MUST keep your calcium chloride in a jar when not using. It has
>the affinity for moisture

Oh, Such thanks. Don't you know that we keep our spices et al in lumps on
the floor that we hope the mice won't pee on to much and we won't trip over?
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"SDT" > wrote in message

>>You MUST keep your calcium chloride in a jar when not using. It has
>>the affinity for moisture

> Oh, Such thanks. Don't you know that we keep our spices et al in lumps on
> the floor that we hope the mice won't pee on to much and we won't trip
> over?

Such graceful thanks for kind advice. I wouldn't have known, so that advice
was not wasted.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving
SDT SDT is offline

>>>You MUST keep your calcium chloride in a jar when not using. It has
>>>the affinity for moisture

snip
>Such graceful thanks for kind advice. I wouldn't have known, so that advice
>was not wasted.

Graceful. Sounds like me dancing.
-
I'm pretty sure that the poster is a spammer.
The calcium chloride will not be damaged by humidity, though some forms of
it may turn in to bricks, like say, little envelopes of powder turning into little
bricks with paper strengthening the sides, or a jar full of powder turning into
a jar full of _a_ crystal.

If the poster should happen to tell me where to go and what to kiss on the
journey down I'm wrong (for this year or so): Not a spammer.
If the poster doesn't answer than either 1) spammer or 2) person what didn't
answer me.
Shawn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

SDT wrote:

>>You MUST keep your calcium chloride in a jar when not using. It has
>>the affinity for moisture

> Oh, Such thanks. Don't you know that we keep our spices et al in lumps on
> the floor that we hope the mice won't pee on to much and we won't trip over?

Because after all calcium chloride is salt and we all keep our salt in
sealed canisters not in an open shaker on the table.

I keep potassium chloride and sodium chloride in shakers. Good to know
the sodium chloride can't be kept that way.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Dec 28, 4:14*pm, Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> Because after all calcium chloride is salt and we all keep our salt in
> sealed canisters not in an open shaker on the table.
>
> I keep potassium chloride and sodium chloride in shakers. *Good to know
> the sodium chloride can't be kept that way.

well, I for one, do have a canning jar of salt that has turned to a
brick, and I can't get it out. LOL now that's a problem I could use
some advice on. I hate to toss the canning jar, it's an antique.
maybe I'll just add boiling water and use it on the driveway.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kitty wrote:
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>
>> Because after all calcium chloride is salt and we all keep our salt in
>> sealed canisters not in an open shaker on the table.

>> I keep potassium chloride and sodium chloride in shakers. *Good to know
>> the sodium chloride can't be kept that way.

> well, I for one, do have a canning jar of salt that has turned to a
> brick, and I can't get it out. LOL now that's a problem I could use
> some advice on. I hate to toss the canning jar, it's an antique.
> maybe I'll just add boiling water and use it on the driveway.

If you put it in the sink and let water flow on it, that will dissolve
away and lose the salt. You'll get the jar back. Boiling water might
crack the jar but hot tap water should work to get some of the salt out
with each use.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
> SDT wrote:
>>
>>>You MUST keep your calcium chloride in a jar when not using. It has
>>>the affinity for moisture

>> Oh, Such thanks. Don't you know that we keep our spices et al in lumps on
>> the floor that we hope the mice won't pee on to much and we won't trip
>> over?

> Because after all calcium chloride is salt and we all keep our salt in
> sealed canisters not in an open shaker on the table.

However, Calcium Chorlide readily absorbs water and eventually all that
remains is a liquid saline solution. Look up products such as DampRid that
use Calcium Chloride, they do eventually become liquid from solid Calcium
Chloride crystals and need to be replaced periodically.

Therefore, if one were to keep Calcium Chloride in a salt shaker long
enough, especially if the shaker was in an open air location rather than
inside a cabinet, the contents would eventually become liquid inside the
shaker, that's for sure.

> I keep potassium chloride and sodium chloride in shakers. Good to know
> the sodium chloride can't be kept that way.

Sodium Chloride, whether iodized or non-iodized, does not absorb water
anywhere nearly as fast Calcium Chloride.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
SDT SDT is offline

>I keep potassium chloride and sodium chloride in shakers. Good to know
>the sodium chloride can't be kept that way.

I don't know if the calcium chloride can be kept like that or not: I've only
ever had the stuff dissolved in water already (a stock solution of it) and the
Ball Pickle Crisp which is grains that almost remind me of instant dry milk,
and is in a type of jar/lid combo which does not keep out moisture.
Shawn

Posted to rec.food.preserving
SDT SDT is offline

>well, I for one, do have a canning jar of salt that has turned to a
>brick, and I can't get it out.

Leaky faucet in the spare bath. ;-/

>now that's a problem I could use
>some advice on. I hate to toss the canning jar, it's an antique.
>maybe I'll just add boiling water and use it on the driveway.

I wouldn't add boiling water just yet. I'd first try to find someplace
where I could keep it pretty warm for a month or two, and would
poke it with a stick to see if it is loosened up:--Might work, and
would give me a few months to not deal with it.

What I'd do if I was in a hurry: Remove the aerator from the kitchen
faucet. Aim the stream into the jar, and adjust the stream to where
I wouldn't need to use wet beach towels to hold the jar in place.

Your water pressure and faucet may differ, as may how much your
water costs you.
SDT
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 01/01/2011 05:39 PM, SDT wrote:

>> I keep potassium chloride and sodium chloride in shakers. Good to know
>> the sodium chloride can't be kept that way.

> I don't know if the calcium chloride can be kept like that or not: I've only
> ever had the stuff dissolved in water already (a stock solution of it) and the
> Ball Pickle Crisp which is grains that almost remind me of instant dry milk,
> and is in a type of jar/lid combo which does not keep out moisture.
> Shawn

From Wikipedia:
"Because of its hygroscopic nature, anhydrous calcium chloride must be
kept in tightly-sealed air-tight containers."

Informal translation:
If you want dry (anhydrous) calcium chloride to stay dry, you must keep
it in an air-tight container or else it will suck water (hygroscopic
property) out of the air.

Also from Wikipedia:
"The anhydrous salt is deliquescent; it can accumulate enough water in
its crystal lattice to form a solution."

Informal translation:
Dry (anhydrous) calcium chloride is so good at sucking water out of the
air that it can dissolve (form a solution) into a puddle (deliquescence)
just by direct exposure to air.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_chloride>

Lastly, from Wikipedia:
"Deliquescent materials are substances (mostly salts) that have a strong
affinity for moisture and will absorb relatively large amounts of water
from the atmosphere if exposed to it, forming a liquid solution.
Deliquescent salts include calcium sulfate, calcium chloride, ... [a
long list, snipped]"

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deliquescent#Deliquescence>
Posted to rec.food.preserving
SDT SDT is offline

Top posting for eh, laziness.
-
Whirled Peas? Excellent article.
-
but back to me: Things vary.
-
Here, before I had air conditioning, I had a little jar of foil wrapped bouillon
cubes in the cupboard. They had stopped being individual cubes and were
empty foil cubes on the top and a mess on the bottom.
Latest? I didn't take the lawn fertilizer out of the spreader in the shed.
It turned into a solid mass, and destroyed the spreader's aluminum agitator.
-

>> I don't know if the calcium chloride can be kept like that or not: I've only
>> ever had the stuff dissolved in water already (a stock solution of it) and the

-
>> Ball Pickle Crisp which is grains that almost remind me of instant dry milk,
>> and is in a type of jar/lid combo which does not keep out moisture.

I'm guessing they are doing this new product because they've gotten all clever
about this deliquescence problem
>> Shawn

> From Wikipedia:
>"Because of its hygroscopic nature, anhydrous calcium chloride must be
>kept in tightly-sealed air-tight containers."
>
>Informal translation:
>If you want dry (anhydrous) calcium chloride to stay dry, you must keep
>it in an air-tight container or else it will suck water (hygroscopic
>property) out of the air.
>
>Also from Wikipedia:
>"The anhydrous salt is deliquescent; it can accumulate enough water in
>its crystal lattice to form a solution."
>
>Informal translation:
>Dry (anhydrous) calcium chloride is so good at sucking water out of the
>air that it can dissolve (form a solution) into a puddle (deliquescence)
>just by direct exposure to air.
>
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_chloride>
>
>Lastly, from Wikipedia:
>"Deliquescent materials are substances (mostly salts) that have a strong
>affinity for moisture and will absorb relatively large amounts of water
>from the atmosphere if exposed to it, forming a liquid solution.
>Deliquescent salts include calcium sulfate, calcium chloride, ... [a
>long list, snipped]"
>
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deliquescent#Deliquescence>

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley;268459 Wrote:
> I just did a Google search on amounts of calcium chloride per jar for
> pickles.
>
> Pickle crisp call for 3/4 teaspoon per pint and 1 1/2 teaspoons per
> quart jar. Everyone I've surveyed who uses the bulk calcium chloride
> says they use the same amount in their jars. The bulk stuff has larger
> crystals so they are probably putting a wee bit more calcium chloride
> per jar but the amounts are easy to follow. HTH

Hi - It's just the opposite. A tablespoon of larger crystals contains
less than a tablespoon of fine crystals. Honest. Use weight instead of
iffy volume measurements then you can't go wrong. (From a Chemistry
professor)

--
jsbradley
jsbradley's Profile: http://www.cookingjunkies.com/member.php?userid=28966

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 1 Dec 2012 10:16:00 -0600, jsbradley
> wrote:

>George Shirley;268459 Wrote:
>> I just did a Google search on amounts of calcium chloride per jar for
>> pickles.
>>
>> Pickle crisp call for 3/4 teaspoon per pint and 1 1/2 teaspoons per
>> quart jar. Everyone I've surveyed who uses the bulk calcium chloride
>> says they use the same amount in their jars. The bulk stuff has larger
>> crystals so they are probably putting a wee bit more calcium chloride
>> per jar but the amounts are easy to follow. HTH

>Hi - It's just the opposite. A tablespoon of larger crystals contains
>less than a tablespoon of fine crystals. Honest. Use weight instead of
>iffy volume measurements then you can't go wrong. (From a Chemistry
>professor)

You just replied to a post made by George on July 21, 2009, about old
measurements that are no longer relevant.
And, while I agree completely with your point on mass vs volume
measurements, in some cases it's just not practical.
Current directions for Pickle Crisp specify 1/8 teaspoon per pint or
1/4 teaspoon per quart.
1/8 teaspoon Pickle Crisp weighs approximately 625 milligrams. Try
measuring that on your old "Not Legal For Trade" kitchen scale.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada

Potassium chloride salt substitutes Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 69 05-03-2012 03:04 AM
CALCIUM CLORIDE ? {BEV} Preserving 8 14-01-2011 04:08 AM
Making Mozzarella with powdered calcium chloride DJ[_3_] General Cooking 7 19-11-2007 09:17 AM
pickle crisp® / calcium chloride just joe Preserving 2 12-08-2007 08:24 PM
Can I replace Sodium Chloride with FrCl? Carl Dau General Cooking 9 21-04-2004 09:03 PM