Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default What to do with soft or overripe tomatoes....besides the obvious

??
I can do salsa and pasta sauce all day, any other suggestions?
I have beautiful heirlooms, but more than we can sell and some get very soft
very quickly.

Rita
Zone 7b-8a

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Garland Grower wrote:
> ??
> I can do salsa and pasta sauce all day, any other suggestions?
> I have beautiful heirlooms, but more than we can sell and some get very soft
> very quickly.
>
> Rita
> Zone 7b-8a

You can always freeze them and use them in cooking later. Wash and dry
the tomatoes, put them in a ziploc bag and toss in freezer. When ready
to use take out of freezer and out of bag put in a colander over a large
bowl and allow to thaw at room temperature. The liquid runs out (useful
as stock for soups), the skins slip readily, and the flesh is ready to
cook with.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Garland Grower" > wrote:

> ??
> I can do salsa and pasta sauce all day, any other suggestions?
> I have beautiful heirlooms, but more than we can sell and some get very soft
> very quickly.
>
> Rita
> Zone 7b-8a

Do you have a food shelf in your community? See if they'll enjoy your
excess. What about canning them? Or you can just freeze them whole
(core them first) and slip the skin when you want to COOK with them
‹they'll not be salad material.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Banned

http://www.b2cwatch.com provides excellent customer service and extraordinary merchandise. We wish to inform and educate our customers on the historical and collectable values of Rolex and to help direct you in the important acquisition of a Rolex watch.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 00:01:29 -0500, in rec.food.preserving you wrote:

:??
:I can do salsa and pasta sauce all day, any other suggestions?
:I have beautiful heirlooms, but more than we can sell and some get very soft
:very quickly.
:
:Rita
:Zone 7b-8a

I had the same problem (yearly), and posted and someone indicated the
recipe for TOMATO MIXTURE at the U of Minnesota website:
- - - -
TOMATO MIXTURE

* 12 cups tomatoes
* 1 cup chopped celery
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 1/2 cup chopped pepper
* 3 tsp. salt

This mixture of ingredients achieves the necessary acidity for water
bath processing. Do not use the varieties of tomatoes listed previously
with pH values near or above 4.6. Do not add any more pepper, onion, or
celery than indicated. This will reduce the acidity of the mixture.

Quantity
The amount of ingredients listed yield 7 pints (for 7 quarts, double the
ingredient amounts).

Procedure
Simmer the vegetables for 10 minutes. Pack into clean, hot canning jars.
Leave a 1/2-inch headspace. Apply two-piece canning lids following the
manufacturer's instructions. Process using the methods and times given
for Minnesota Methods, "Whole or Halved Tomatoes Packed Raw Using a
Water Bath or a Pressure Process."

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...on/DJ1097.html

---> My thought is that I can use my up-to-now typical methods, adding
the prescribed amount of citric acid. <--------

- - - -

I like this quite a lot.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

Posted to rec.food.preserving

> TOMATO MIXTURE
>
> * 12 cups tomatoes
> * 1 cup chopped celery
> * 1/2 cup chopped onion
> * 1/2 cup chopped pepper
> * 3 tsp. salt
>
> This mixture of ingredients achieves the necessary acidity for water
> bath processing. Do not use the varieties of tomatoes listed previously
> with pH values near or above 4.6. Do not add any more pepper, onion, or
> celery than indicated. This will reduce the acidity of the mixture.

Thanks for the suggestions...
We were arleady doing some bags of quartered and frozen tomatoes to be used
in chili, etc for the winter. Just now finding out how bad the skins are if
you don't take them off, next time will freeze whole and pull the skins
before cooking. I knew the skins would slip off easily, I've frozen
tomatoes before, but just didn't think it was that big a deal to leave them
in. Made a nice Ratatouille/ Ragout with all my toms, eggplants, pepper and
Zucchinis, poured that over Cheese Tortellini and baked it with tons of
Mozarella and Parmesan on top; the skins from the toms and eggplants were a
little bothersome. I want to try this canning method, sounds like it will
work well for winter soups/ stews / chili's.
Rita