Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default I make good stuff!

"Anny Middon" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>

>> The problem is I eat so little of it. I wouldn't want to bother making
>> an actual jam. I just buy 3 or 4 jars a year. Most of the jar gets
>> thrown away, but that's okay. I have bought little single serve packets
>> from minimus.biz when daughter liked to take them in her lunch (she
>> doesn't now), but they are not the kind I like.

> I understand why it's easier to just throw out jam, since it is a bit of
> work to make it.
>
> I just want to point out that you can make jam in those little half-cup
> jars. You'd throw out less that way.
>
> AND you'd have a few jars to give away as little presents. Label them
> "Julie's Own Gourmet Berry Jam (Naturally sweetened without sugar)." I
> find there are a lot of times when I want to give someone a little
> something, and a jar of jam is exactly right.

Nobody I know eats jam. When I made it before, nobody really wanted it.
I've also found that most people I know don't want home canned stuff at all.
They fear it might not be safe to eat.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Anny Middon" > wrote in message
>>
>> I just want to point out that you can make jam in those little
>> half-cup jars. You'd throw out less that way.
>>
>> AND you'd have a few jars to give away as little presents. Label
>> them "Julie's Own Gourmet Berry Jam (Naturally sweetened without
>> sugar)." I find there are a lot of times when I want to give
>> someone a little something, and a jar of jam is exactly right.

> Nobody I know eats jam. When I made it before, nobody really wanted
> it. I've also found that most people I know don't want home canned
> stuff at all. They fear it might not be safe to eat.

What sorts of things are you interested in preserving?

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu 07 May 2009 04:56:39p, Julie Bove told us...

> "Anny Middon" > wrote in message
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>

>>> The problem is I eat so little of it. I wouldn't want to bother
>>> making an actual jam. I just buy 3 or 4 jars a year. Most of the jar
>>> gets thrown away, but that's okay. I have bought little single serve
>>> packets from minimus.biz when daughter liked to take them in her lunch
>>> (she doesn't now), but they are not the kind I like.

>> I understand why it's easier to just throw out jam, since it is a bit
>> of work to make it.
>>
>> I just want to point out that you can make jam in those little half-cup
>> jars. You'd throw out less that way.
>>
>> AND you'd have a few jars to give away as little presents. Label them
>> "Julie's Own Gourmet Berry Jam (Naturally sweetened without sugar)." I
>> find there are a lot of times when I want to give someone a little
>> something, and a jar of jam is exactly right.

> Nobody I know eats jam. When I made it before, nobody really wanted it.
> I've also found that most people I know don't want home canned stuff at
> all. They fear it might not be safe to eat.

First let me say no offense intended, Julie, and I haven't read this entire
thread. However, from what I gather you eat only a fraction of the jam you
buy, which would also be true if you made it yourself? And no one else
eats jam or wants other home canned food. Given that, I think it would be
a waste of effort, time, and money to pursue any home preserving. I guess
I'm not sure why you're pursuing the topic.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Soup is liquid comfort. ~Author Unknown

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default I make good stuff! - link to a recipe for skillet jam

On Thu 07 May 2009 10:12:46a, George Shirley told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Do you have room for a tree? They do require about 35 gallons of water
>>> a week when bearing fruit but otherwise require little care. It is
>>> nearly always hot and humid here and they grow well, I know of at
>>> least a dozen within a block of our house.
>>>

>> Yes, we have the space. I wonder how long it would be before it would
>> fruit. Also, for our desert area, 35 gallons of water is a lot, and it
>> might need more here since our humidity is usually in the single digits
>> and the summers are often between 110-118 degrees.
>>

> Best advice I can give you is to check with the Arizona Agricultural
> Extension office, they may have an on line presence.

That's a good idea, George. I think I'll do that. Summer here is not the
best season for planting a new tree, but I will find out before fall.

--
Wayne Boatwright
I don't think America will have really made it until we have our

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
m...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Anny Middon" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> I just want to point out that you can make jam in those little
>>> half-cup jars. You'd throw out less that way.
>>>
>>> AND you'd have a few jars to give away as little presents. Label
>>> them "Julie's Own Gourmet Berry Jam (Naturally sweetened without
>>> sugar)." I find there are a lot of times when I want to give
>>> someone a little something, and a jar of jam is exactly right.

>> Nobody I know eats jam. When I made it before, nobody really wanted
>> it. I've also found that most people I know don't want home canned
>> stuff at all. They fear it might not be safe to eat.

> What sorts of things are you interested in preserving?

Well, I was putting up apples and pears before my husband butchered the pear
tree. Something is wrong with the apple tree now and it has teensy apples
that aren't worth trying to work with. I have a gardener now so perhaps he
can fix them. I do have another pear tree but I don't think they are the
kind of pears that do well with canning. We did use some one year to make
papplesauce. That's my daughter's word for it. Not sure I will be doing
anything this year or not. Daughter loves applesauce but she loves the
little single serve cups. She doesn't eat much of what I make. She likes
it fine, but she prefers the "cute" kind.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.247...
> On Thu 07 May 2009 04:56:39p, Julie Bove told us...

>>> I understand why it's easier to just throw out jam, since it is a bit
>>> of work to make it.
>>>
>>> I just want to point out that you can make jam in those little half-cup
>>> jars. You'd throw out less that way.
>>>
>>> AND you'd have a few jars to give away as little presents. Label them
>>> "Julie's Own Gourmet Berry Jam (Naturally sweetened without sugar)." I
>>> find there are a lot of times when I want to give someone a little
>>> something, and a jar of jam is exactly right.

>> Nobody I know eats jam. When I made it before, nobody really wanted it.
>> I've also found that most people I know don't want home canned stuff at
>> all. They fear it might not be safe to eat.

> First let me say no offense intended, Julie, and I haven't read this
> entire
> thread. However, from what I gather you eat only a fraction of the jam
> you
> buy, which would also be true if you made it yourself? And no one else
> eats jam or wants other home canned food. Given that, I think it would be
> a waste of effort, time, and money to pursue any home preserving. I guess
> I'm not sure why you're pursuing the topic.

I was responding to someone else who said they bought sugar free jam. I
have canned things in the past. Just am not canning anything t the moment.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu 07 May 2009 11:17:43p, Julie Bove told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 5.247...

>>> Nobody I know eats jam. When I made it before, nobody really wanted
>>> it. I've also found that most people I know don't want home canned
>>> stuff at all. They fear it might not be safe to eat.

>> First let me say no offense intended, Julie, and I haven't read this
>> entire thread. However, from what I gather you eat only a fraction of
>> the jam you buy, which would also be true if you made it yourself?
>> And no one else eats jam or wants other home canned food. Given that,
>> I think it would be a waste of effort, time, and money to pursue any
>> home preserving.
>> I guess I'm not sure why you're pursuing the topic.

> I was responding to someone else who said they bought sugar free jam. I
> have canned things in the past. Just am not canning anything t the
> moment.

Ah, okay, understood...

--
Wayne Boatwright
We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Anny Middon" > wrote in message
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>

>>> The problem is I eat so little of it. I wouldn't want to bother making
>>> an actual jam. I just buy 3 or 4 jars a year. Most of the jar gets
>>> thrown away, but that's okay. I have bought little single serve packets
>>> from minimus.biz when daughter liked to take them in her lunch (she
>>> doesn't now), but they are not the kind I like.

>> I understand why it's easier to just throw out jam, since it is a bit of
>> work to make it.
>>
>> I just want to point out that you can make jam in those little half-cup
>> jars. You'd throw out less that way.
>>
>> AND you'd have a few jars to give away as little presents. Label them
>> "Julie's Own Gourmet Berry Jam (Naturally sweetened without sugar)." I
>> find there are a lot of times when I want to give someone a little
>> something, and a jar of jam is exactly right.

> Nobody I know eats jam. When I made it before, nobody really wanted it.
> I've also found that most people I know don't want home canned stuff at
> all. They fear it might not be safe to eat.

Jheesus you really need to find some new friends!

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Wilson" > wrote in message
> sometime in the recent past Anny Middon posted this:
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> The problem is I eat so little of it. I wouldn't want to bother making
>>> an actual jam. I just buy 3 or 4 jars a year. Most of the jar gets
>>> thrown away, but that's okay. I have bought little single serve packets
>>> from minimus.biz when daughter liked to take them in her lunch (she
>>> doesn't now), but they are not the kind I like.

>> I understand why it's easier to just throw out jam, since it is a bit of
>> work to make it.
>>
>> I just want to point out that you can make jam in those little half-cup
>> jars. You'd throw out less that way.

> ... and you could put the jars in the freezer if using too little sugar to
> keep.
>>
>> AND you'd have a few jars to give away as little presents. Label them
>> "Julie's Own Gourmet Berry Jam (Naturally sweetened without sugar)." I
>> find there are a lot of times when I want to give someone a little
>> something, and a jar of jam is exactly right.
>>
>> Anny
>>

> --
> Wilson N44º39" W67º12"

Or a jar of pickled whatever or smoked salmon or my personal favorite a
bottle of Mikes Hot Sauce or etc.etc. etc

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default I make good stuff! - pear marmalade recipe

"Kathi Jones" > wrote in message

> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> m...
>> Kathi Jones wrote:
>>
>>> ...until I tried the Pear Marmalade I made last year...OMG this stuff
>>> is to die for!!!!! I put it on a toasted bagel for breakfast......I'll
>>> have to figure out where I got the recipe so I can make it again!!! It
>>> was either here on the group of the Big Bernardin Book

>> If it was here, maybe mine? Couple years ago I talked about making a
>> Chardonnay wine jelly and suspending pear bits in it?
>>
>> B/

> haven't had a chance to look it up yet, but it wasn't wine jelly with pear
> bits (although that sounds interesting). More like a pear jam with orange
> peel slivers in it....and darn, I just finished the last of the jar.
> Guess I'll be searching for that recipe sooner than later,
>
> Kathi

found it! Ivan posted a link for it here last August 1st.....

http://www.usapears.com/delicious/re...d.asp?recID=30

I gotta print this one out for next time I make it - which will be as soon
as I can get a good price on pears!

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> Nobody I know eats jam. When I made it before, nobody really wanted it.
> I've also found that most people I know don't want home canned stuff at
> all. They fear it might not be safe to eat.

That's too bad. I have an ever-enlargening group of people who are
threilled to get jars of jam from me, and who hint about more when they run
out. Sometimes they do more than hint -- a friend gave me four pounds of
blueberries last summer, with the comment, "I wanted to be sure you didn't
have an excuse to not make blueberry marmalade, which I've told you several
times I've been out of for *months*."

It's not just jam, either. A few years ago my husband took some jars of
salsa with him when he went on one of his frequent visits to his company's
headquarters in Milwaukee. He had been bragging about how well my salsas
did at the state fair, and people wanted to try them.

He gave his boss a jar of Peach Apple Salsa (from the NCHFP website -- won a
trophy at the state fair). A couple days later his boss told him he had
come home and found his wife eating it right out of the jar.

OK, I'm done bragging now.

Anny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Kathi Jones" > wrote in message

> found it! Ivan posted a link for it here last August 1st.....
>
> http://www.usapears.com/delicious/re...d.asp?recID=30
>
> I gotta print this one out for next time I make it - which will be as soon
> as I can get a good price on pears!

Thanks, Kathi! I've saved it to my recipe folder to make in the autumn.

Anny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kathi Jones wrote:

> found it! Ivan posted a link for it here last August 1st.....
>
> http://www.usapears.com/delicious/re...d.asp?recID=30
>
> I gotta print this one out for next time I make it - which will be as soon
> as I can get a good price on pears!
>
> Kathi

Thanks Kathi, sorry to be late following up. Although I don't eat much
sweet stuff, this sounds interesting. But, do you remember how you
interpreted: "2 oranges (thin skinned), thinly sliced and quartered" in
the link? Do you leave the peel on, slice then cut each slice in quarters?

Thanks in advance,
Dean
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"JakartaDean" > wrote in message
> Kathi Jones wrote:
>>
>> found it! Ivan posted a link for it here last August 1st.....
>>
>> http://www.usapears.com/delicious/re...d.asp?recID=30
>>
>> I gotta print this one out for next time I make it - which will be as
>> soon as I can get a good price on pears!
>>
>> Kathi
>>

> Thanks Kathi, sorry to be late following up. Although I don't eat much
> sweet stuff, this sounds interesting. But, do you remember how you
> interpreted: "2 oranges (thin skinned), thinly sliced and quartered" in
> the link? Do you leave the peel on, slice then cut each slice in
> quarters?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dean

I don't remember exactly what I did, but knowing how I like my marmalade,
and remembering the results, I think I peeled the oranges, scraped off most
of the pith, and sliced the peel in to thin slivers. With the orange pulp,
I probably only used the fleshy part (supreme?) because I don't like all
that stringy coarse stuff. However, since the recipe calls for all that
stuff, I think I saved it all (pith and membrane) in cheese cloth bag,
cooked the marmalade with it, but removed the cheesecloth bag before
jarring.

I did chop the pears coarsely, but will chop them a little smaller next
time.

Kathi