Posted to rec.food.preserving,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default What does one get when milk spoils?

Hello All:

I heated a cup of milk for one minute four days ago, then forget it in
the microwave.

I discovered that I now have a yogurt-like substance.

Is this edible? Is it yogurt? Could it be toxic?

Thanks,

Deguza
Posted to rec.food.preserving,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Kompu Kid" > wrote in message
> Hello All:
>
> I heated a cup of milk for one minute four days ago, then forget it in
> the microwave.
>
> I discovered that I now have a yogurt-like substance.
>
> Is this edible? Is it yogurt? Could it be toxic?

I'm no expert, other than making a gallon of yogurt a week. If it smells OK, I'd
try a little taste. Maybe you've discovered a delicious new culture.

Posted to rec.food.preserving,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Kompu Kid wrote:

>Hello All:
>
>I heated a cup of milk for one minute four days ago, then forget it in
>the microwave.
>
>I discovered that I now have a yogurt-like substance.
>
>Is this edible? Is it yogurt? Could it be toxic?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Deguza

Try it. If you don't post angain, we'll know the answer.
Posted to rec.food.preserving,misc.consumers.frugal-living

u better dun take it..
its very dangerous..
maybe they got some bacteria..
u better throw it and buy a yogurt at the supermarket..
more guarantee..

xoxo,
aineecumi

neway, my secret to release tension is playing this game <a
href=http://www.gamestotal.com> http://www.gamestotal.com </a> <a
href=http://uc.gamestotal.com> http://uc.gamestotal.com </a> <a
href=http://gc.gamestotal.com> http://gc.gamestotal.com </a> <a
href=http://3700ad.gamestotal.com> http://3700ad.gamestotal.com </a>
Posted to rec.food.preserving,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 22:49:23 -0800, "Bob F" >
wrote:

>"Kompu Kid" > wrote in message
>> Hello All:
>>
>> I heated a cup of milk for one minute four days ago, then forget it in
>> the microwave.
>>
>> I discovered that I now have a yogurt-like substance.
>>
>> Is this edible? Is it yogurt? Could it be toxic?
>>

>I'm no expert, other than making a gallon of yogurt a week. If it smells OK, I'd
>try a little taste. Maybe you've discovered a delicious new culture.

This is the way my mother used to make cottage cheese. You let the
milk curdle and strain it through cheesecloth, throwing out (or using)
the whey. When I moved to the island of Guam back in the early 1960's
and was very poor, I actually did the same thing myself as we had too
much milk to use up. Commercially, of course, they add an agent to
induce the same affect.

Posted to rec.food.preserving,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Epiphany wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 22:49:23 -0800, "Bob F" >
> wrote:
>

>> "Kompu Kid" > wrote in message
>>

>>> Hello All:
>>>
>>> I heated a cup of milk for one minute four days ago, then forget
>>> it in the microwave.
>>>
>>> I discovered that I now have a yogurt-like substance.
>>>
>>> Is this edible? Is it yogurt? Could it be toxic?
>>>

>> I'm no expert, other than making a gallon of yogurt a week. If it
>> smells OK, I'd try a little taste. Maybe you've discovered a
>> delicious new culture.
>>

> This is the way my mother used to make cottage cheese.

Just setting out to spoil? Doesn't sound quite right....

> You let the milk curdle and strain it through cheesecloth, throwing
> out (or using) the whey.

Yah, that's how ricotta ("re-cooked") is made.

> When I moved to the island of Guam back in the early 1960's and was
> very poor,

Weren't we all?

> I actually did the same thing myself as we had too much milk to use
> up.

And the milk didn't spoil first? My brother lives on Saipan and I'm
*quite* familiar with the heat and humidity....

> Commercially, of course, they add an agent to induce the same affect.

Home use as well. Rennet is certainly available as a curdling agent, as
is a simple acid like lemon juice.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 11:05:18 -0800, Brian Mailman
> wrote:

>Epiphany wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 22:49:23 -0800, "Bob F" >
>> wrote:

>And the milk didn't spoil first? My brother lives on Saipan and I'm
>*quite* familiar with the heat and humidity....

I suppose if you call sour milk "spoiled" it certainly did. It
spoiled/soured to the point of separation. I suppose there was a
different standard then for what was dangerous to use, as well as many
more strains of bacteria that we need to be careful of today. Rennet
wasn't as available on the islands then, and it took a lot of lemon
juice to do the job, as well as adding the taste to the cottage
cheese. Works great for faking butter milk, though.

We raised chickens too. After the eggs hatched, the ones that were
left, which didn't hatch, always went to my mother-in-law, who
considered them a delicacy. Yuck.

>> Commercially, of course, they add an agent to induce the same affect.
>>

>Home use as well. Rennet is certainly available as a curdling agent, as
>is a simple acid like lemon juice.
>
>B/

Posted to rec.food.preserving,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Epiphany wrote:

> We raised chickens too. After the eggs hatched, the ones that were
> left, which didn't hatch, always went to my mother-in-law, who
> considered them a delicacy. Yuck.

Baahhhh-lut!!!!!!!

Samantha, who was on Guam in the mid-70s and learned not to buy dyed
eggs -- or, for that matter, to ask what was in the delicious
Filipino/Korean food she was eating and who STILL missed Chicken Kelaguen