Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Apple and Onion pickle - what now?

I had some apples and an onion, so I made this apple and onion pickle
recipe out of the good ol' "Joy of Pickling." Now what on earth do I
do with a stack of apple rings that taste like onions? How did I get
here? My God, what have I done?
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Deidzoeb > wrote in message
> I had some apples and an onion, so I made this apple and onion pickle
> recipe out of the good ol' "Joy of Pickling." Now what on earth do I
> do with a stack of apple rings that taste like onions? How did I get
> here? My God, what have I done?

Sounds like a good side dressing for grilled meats - or roasted meats.

I often saute onions and apples then add greens to steam on top. Healthy
side dish.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Deidzoeb wrote:
> I had some apples and an onion, so I made this apple and onion pickle
> recipe out of the good ol' "Joy of Pickling." Now what on earth do I
> do with a stack of apple rings that taste like onions? How did I get
> here? My God, what have I done?

Apples and onions are a trad combination.

Sounds like a relish for pork or lamb roasts. Maybe a side for pate, if
you get that industrious. Chopped liver if you don't. Call it...
"Chutney Normande."

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 12:29:26 -0700 (PDT), Deidzoeb
> wrote:

>I had some apples and an onion, so I made this apple and onion pickle
>recipe out of the good ol' "Joy of Pickling." Now what on earth do I
>do with a stack of apple rings that taste like onions? How did I get
>here? My God, what have I done?

Tasty on a relish tray. I'd eat it!
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 12:29:26 -0700 (PDT), Deidzoeb wrote:

>I had some apples and an onion, so I made this apple and onion pickle
>recipe out of the good ol' "Joy of Pickling." Now what on earth do I
>do with a stack of apple rings that taste like onions? How did I get
>here? My God, what have I done?

Add tomatoes

I make a tomato and apple chutney that uses about 4:2:1 ratio of
tomatoes to apples to onions, plus spices, salt, sugar and vinegar.
Roughly made up from a recipe in an old book, but I'm sure you can
google up similar to suit your tastes. Very tasty on a spicy dal served
with a boiled egg and a dosa for breakfast!
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Let the laddie play wi the knife - he'll learn"

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Nov 3, 11:08*pm, Ross McKay >
wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 12:29:26 -0700 (PDT), Deidzoeb wrote:
> >I had some apples and an onion, so I made this apple and onion pickle
> >recipe out of the good ol' "Joy of Pickling." Now what on earth do I
> >do with a stack of apple rings that taste like onions? How did I get
> >here? My God, what have I done?

> Add tomatoes
>
> I make a tomato and apple chutney that uses about 4:2:1 ratio of
> tomatoes to apples to onions, plus spices, salt, sugar and vinegar.
> Roughly made up from a recipe in an old book, but I'm sure you can
> google up similar to suit your tastes. Very tasty on a spicy dal served
> with a boiled egg and a dosa for breakfast!
> --
> Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
> "Let the laddie play wi the knife - he'll learn"
> - The Wee Book of Calvin

That sounds good. I actually have a pint of sweet tomato chutney that
I've been trying to use too. Maybe I'll try them together. The apple
won't make it any sweeter, and the onion and vinegar won't make it
much more zippy. Chutney definitely doesn't work as a substitute for
jelly in a peanut butter & jelly sandwich.