Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Food Saver

I am wondering if I need one of these? I was told I could use one to make
single serve packets of nut butter but I would have to keep them in the
refrigerator. You can get shelf stable single serve packs of almond and
peanut butter, but daughter is allergic to both almonds and peanuts. I
can't find any other nut or seed butters packaged this way. She likes to
take nut or seed butter and jam in her lunch along with a hermetically
sealed package of gluten free bread. But now that we know of her almond
allergy, she can't do that. Unless of course I use a snack bag and just
scoop some nut or seed butter into it.

So... I know I can use a Food Saver to make little single serve packets.
But what else is it good for? It looks like I could package up stuff for
the freezer, but... I don't really freeze too much food. I do shop at
Costco but I can get chicken breasts packaged in 2 breast portions and
ground beef in 1 pound portions. I know they sell other kinds of meat but
those and bacon are really the only meats I eat. I buy other stuff like
pork chops in smaller quantities for my daughter and husband, but they don't
eat them often so I can't see buying a big pack of that.

We don't have a big freezer. Just a side by side. So not a lot of freezer
space.

Can the Food Saver be used for other things besides just freezing? I was
going to ask for one for Christmas, but when I saw the price, it seemed like
a lot of money to spend just to package up nut butter.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> I am wondering if I need one of these? I was told I could use one to
> make single serve packets of nut butter but I would have to keep them in
> the refrigerator. You can get shelf stable single serve packs of almond
> and peanut butter, but daughter is allergic to both almonds and peanuts.
> I can't find any other nut or seed butters packaged this way. She likes
> to take nut or seed butter and jam in her lunch along with a hermetically
> sealed package of gluten free bread. But now that we know of her almond
> allergy, she can't do that. Unless of course I use a snack bag and just
> scoop some nut or seed butter into it.
> [ . . . ]

If you have a blender or food processor, you can make any kind of nut or
seed butters you want, including blends, as chunky or smooth as she likes.
I did that for my daughter back in the late 70's. You may have to add a
little oil to get the consistency she likes.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 22:24:55 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I am wondering if I need one of these? I was told I could use one to make
>single serve packets of nut butter but I would have to keep them in the
>refrigerator. You can get shelf stable single serve packs of almond and
>peanut butter, but daughter is allergic to both almonds and peanuts. I
>can't find any other nut or seed butters packaged this way. She likes to
>take nut or seed butter and jam in her lunch along with a hermetically
>sealed package of gluten free bread. But now that we know of her almond
>allergy, she can't do that. Unless of course I use a snack bag and just
>scoop some nut or seed butter into it.
>
>So... I know I can use a Food Saver to make little single serve packets.
>But what else is it good for? It looks like I could package up stuff for
>the freezer, but... I don't really freeze too much food. I do shop at
>Costco but I can get chicken breasts packaged in 2 breast portions and
>ground beef in 1 pound portions. I know they sell other kinds of meat but
>those and bacon are really the only meats I eat. I buy other stuff like
>pork chops in smaller quantities for my daughter and husband, but they don't
>eat them often so I can't see buying a big pack of that.
>
>We don't have a big freezer. Just a side by side. So not a lot of freezer
>space.
>
>Can the Food Saver be used for other things besides just freezing? I was
>going to ask for one for Christmas, but when I saw the price, it seemed like
>a lot of money to spend just to package up nut butter.

I don't know of single serving containers that could be vacuumed, at
least not economically. The bags can be washed but you lose at least
an inch every time you open one.

Try on of the Handi Vacs. They are fairly cheap and the bags are zip
lock and can be washed. If you find lots of uses for that, you can
then decide if the Food Saver would be worth it for you.

I have a Food Saver and use it constantly. We freeze many things
since we have a large garden and buy in quantity. I also keep a
number of dry goods in large canning jars with the vacuum seal.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> Can the Food Saver be used for other things besides just freezing? I was
> going to ask for one for Christmas, but when I saw the price, it seemed like
> a lot of money to spend just to package up nut butter.

Personally, I think you should stick to baggies. The FoodSaver creates
a vacuum and is best, IMO, for freezing things ‹ you won't get ice
crystals on a properly vac'd item. You can buy a lot of baggies for the
price of a Food Saver. If you're absolutely hellbent on one, look for
one that's less than $40. Mine's a small one that I picked up at
Tuesday Morning for about $20-30, IIRC. I like it well enough but I
wouldn't pay for a big one; I have a non-vac bag sealer that works great
for what I use it for (spaghetti sauce and chicken/beef broths, mostly).
And I also use the Reynolds vac-bag sealer gizmo that's in supermarkets
for about $10.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini
Posted to rec.food.preserving

I would look for some small closable plastic containers with snap on
lids. I get all kinds at Gordons Food Service (GFS)store.
http://www.gfs.com/gfs_marketplace.html
These come in all sizes. Think a lot like the cups that you get your
meds in at the hospital or single service dressing containers at some
restaurants. We use the little cups 2 oz or so and some 5oz works good
for pudding and jello, and then the larger size containers 1 cup, 2 cup
and just over 3 cup microwave safe containers for saving leftovers and
freezing portions. We have found them to be cheaper than ziplocs and
easier to use. They also have a much less expensive pan spray in a
really large can.
No affiliation with the store just a satisfied customer. I get a years
supply of stuff when we visit our son on Thanksgiving.

Connie TC

The Cook wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 22:24:55 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I am wondering if I need one of these? I was told I could use one to make
>> single serve packets of nut butter but I would have to keep them in the
>> refrigerator. You can get shelf stable single serve packs of almond and
>> peanut butter, but daughter is allergic to both almonds and peanuts. I
>> can't find any other nut or seed butters packaged this way. She likes to
>> take nut or seed butter and jam in her lunch along with a hermetically
>> sealed package of gluten free bread. But now that we know of her almond
>> allergy, she can't do that. Unless of course I use a snack bag and just
>> scoop some nut or seed butter into it.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Julie Bove wrote:
> I am wondering if I need one of these? I was told I could use one to make
> single serve packets of nut butter but I would have to keep them in the
> refrigerator. You can get shelf stable single serve packs of almond and
> peanut butter, but daughter is allergic to both almonds and peanuts. I
> can't find any other nut or seed butters packaged this way. She likes to
> take nut or seed butter and jam in her lunch along with a hermetically
> sealed package of gluten free bread. But now that we know of her almond
> allergy, she can't do that. Unless of course I use a snack bag and just
> scoop some nut or seed butter into it.

Foodsaver seems like a terrible solution to me.

AFAIK, all nut butters are shelf stable. Why not get some tiny
Tupperware containers (one for jam and one for nut butter) and she can
take those, and you can refill them from your 1 pound jars in the fridge?

What about cashews, brazilnuts, and sunflower seeds?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> I am wondering if I need one of these? I was told I could use one to
>> make single serve packets of nut butter but I would have to keep them in
>> the refrigerator. You can get shelf stable single serve packs of almond
>> and peanut butter, but daughter is allergic to both almonds and peanuts.
>> I can't find any other nut or seed butters packaged this way. She likes
>> to take nut or seed butter and jam in her lunch along with a hermetically
>> sealed package of gluten free bread. But now that we know of her almond
>> allergy, she can't do that. Unless of course I use a snack bag and just
>> scoop some nut or seed butter into it.
>> [ . . . ]

> If you have a blender or food processor, you can make any kind of nut or
> seed butters you want, including blends, as chunky or smooth as she likes.
> I did that for my daughter back in the late 70's. You may have to add a
> little oil to get the consistency she likes.

Yes. I know that. The problem is getting single serve packets that are
shelf stable. They are nice to take with us for a quick snack.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 22:24:55 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I am wondering if I need one of these? I was told I could use one to make
>>single serve packets of nut butter but I would have to keep them in the
>>refrigerator. You can get shelf stable single serve packs of almond and
>>peanut butter, but daughter is allergic to both almonds and peanuts. I
>>can't find any other nut or seed butters packaged this way. She likes to
>>take nut or seed butter and jam in her lunch along with a hermetically
>>sealed package of gluten free bread. But now that we know of her almond
>>allergy, she can't do that. Unless of course I use a snack bag and just
>>scoop some nut or seed butter into it.
>>
>>So... I know I can use a Food Saver to make little single serve packets.
>>But what else is it good for? It looks like I could package up stuff for
>>the freezer, but... I don't really freeze too much food. I do shop at
>>Costco but I can get chicken breasts packaged in 2 breast portions and
>>ground beef in 1 pound portions. I know they sell other kinds of meat but
>>those and bacon are really the only meats I eat. I buy other stuff like
>>pork chops in smaller quantities for my daughter and husband, but they
>>don't
>>eat them often so I can't see buying a big pack of that.
>>
>>We don't have a big freezer. Just a side by side. So not a lot of
>>freezer
>>space.
>>
>>Can the Food Saver be used for other things besides just freezing? I was
>>going to ask for one for Christmas, but when I saw the price, it seemed
>>like
>>a lot of money to spend just to package up nut butter.
>>

> I don't know of single serving containers that could be vacuumed, at
> least not economically. The bags can be washed but you lose at least
> an inch every time you open one.

He said you couldn't do the vacuum part because it would suck the nut butter
into the seal.

> Try on of the Handi Vacs. They are fairly cheap and the bags are zip
> lock and can be washed. If you find lots of uses for that, you can
> then decide if the Food Saver would be worth it for you.

I wouldn't want bags that could be washed. She would throw them away.

> I have a Food Saver and use it constantly. We freeze many things
> since we have a large garden and buy in quantity. I also keep a
> number of dry goods in large canning jars with the vacuum seal.

I keep things in canning jars but I don't know about a vacuum seal.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Connie TenClay" > wrote in message
> I would look for some small closable plastic containers with snap on
> lids. I get all kinds at Gordons Food Service (GFS)store.
> http://www.gfs.com/gfs_marketplace.html
> These come in all sizes. Think a lot like the cups that you get your meds
> in at the hospital or single service dressing containers at some
> restaurants. We use the little cups 2 oz or so and some 5oz works good
> for pudding and jello, and then the larger size containers 1 cup, 2 cup
> and just over 3 cup microwave safe containers for saving leftovers and
> freezing portions. We have found them to be cheaper than ziplocs and
> easier to use. They also have a much less expensive pan spray in a really
> large can.
> No affiliation with the store just a satisfied customer. I get a years
> supply of stuff when we visit our son on Thanksgiving.

Yeah, we have those but then she has to bring them back home to be washed.
What I liked about the single serve ones was they could just be thrown away.
I really hate containers. They just take up too much room in my kitchen
that I don't have. If I have leftovers, I usually put them in a plastic bag
so I can just throw it out when I am done.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> Can the Food Saver be used for other things besides just freezing? I was
>> going to ask for one for Christmas, but when I saw the price, it seemed
>> like
>> a lot of money to spend just to package up nut butter.

> Personally, I think you should stick to baggies. The FoodSaver creates
> a vacuum and is best, IMO, for freezing things < you won't get ice
> crystals on a properly vac'd item. You can buy a lot of baggies for the
> price of a Food Saver. If you're absolutely hellbent on one, look for
> one that's less than $40. Mine's a small one that I picked up at
> Tuesday Morning for about $20-30, IIRC. I like it well enough but I
> wouldn't pay for a big one; I have a non-vac bag sealer that works great
> for what I use it for (spaghetti sauce and chicken/beef broths, mostly).
> And I also use the Reynolds vac-bag sealer gizmo that's in supermarkets
> for about $10.

Okay. The guy who told me to get one is a chef. I'm sure he probably uses
it for a lot of things. And he told me I couldn't use the vac part because
it would suck the nut butter into the seal. Sounds like another gadget I
don't need.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message

> Foodsaver seems like a terrible solution to me.
>
> AFAIK, all nut butters are shelf stable. Why not get some tiny Tupperware
> containers (one for jam and one for nut butter) and she can take those,
> and you can refill them from your 1 pound jars in the fridge?

Not after they are opened. They must be refrigerated. Unless you get one
with transfats in it or a special shelf stable kind. The kind we buy has
the oil that separates out. I don't like containers. I want something she
can just throw away.

> What about cashews, brazilnuts, and sunflower seeds?

I don't know about Brazil nuts. Buying the nut butter isn't the problem.
It's the single serve thing.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Julie Bove wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>
>> Foodsaver seems like a terrible solution to me.
>>
>> AFAIK, all nut butters are shelf stable. Why not get some tiny Tupperware
>> containers (one for jam and one for nut butter) and she can take those,
>> and you can refill them from your 1 pound jars in the fridge?

> Not after they are opened. They must be refrigerated. Unless you get one
> with transfats in it or a special shelf stable kind. The kind we buy has
> the oil that separates out. I don't like containers. I want something she
> can just throw away.
>> What about cashews, brazilnuts, and sunflower seeds?

> I don't know about Brazil nuts. Buying the nut butter isn't the problem.
> It's the single serve thing.

The *only* reason to refrigerate is to keep them from separating. (They
even sell nut butters at the local health food store from bulk 5-gallon
buckets; not refrigerated, and open to the air every time someone dips
some out) And you can alleviate the oil separation by stirring. Keep
your bulk containers in the fridge, but you don't need anything special
for the single servings.

Get disposable 2 ounce condiment cups with snap-on lids at a restaurant
supply store. They may leak more easily than Tupperware, but it still
shouldn't be much of a problem.

If you want a Foodsaver, get one. But it's not going to help with this
particular situation. HTH

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 08:59:29 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"The Cook" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 22:24:55 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I am wondering if I need one of these? I was told I could use one to make
>>>single serve packets of nut butter but I would have to keep them in the
>>>refrigerator. You can get shelf stable single serve packs of almond and
>>>peanut butter, but daughter is allergic to both almonds and peanuts. I
>>>can't find any other nut or seed butters packaged this way. She likes to
>>>take nut or seed butter and jam in her lunch along with a hermetically
>>>sealed package of gluten free bread. But now that we know of her almond
>>>allergy, she can't do that. Unless of course I use a snack bag and just
>>>scoop some nut or seed butter into it.
>>>
>>>So... I know I can use a Food Saver to make little single serve packets.
>>>But what else is it good for? It looks like I could package up stuff for
>>>the freezer, but... I don't really freeze too much food. I do shop at
>>>Costco but I can get chicken breasts packaged in 2 breast portions and
>>>ground beef in 1 pound portions. I know they sell other kinds of meat but
>>>those and bacon are really the only meats I eat. I buy other stuff like
>>>pork chops in smaller quantities for my daughter and husband, but they
>>>don't
>>>eat them often so I can't see buying a big pack of that.
>>>
>>>We don't have a big freezer. Just a side by side. So not a lot of
>>>freezer
>>>space.
>>>
>>>Can the Food Saver be used for other things besides just freezing? I was
>>>going to ask for one for Christmas, but when I saw the price, it seemed
>>>like
>>>a lot of money to spend just to package up nut butter.
>>>

>> I don't know of single serving containers that could be vacuumed, at
>> least not economically. The bags can be washed but you lose at least
>> an inch every time you open one.

>He said you couldn't do the vacuum part because it would suck the nut butter
>into the seal.
>>
>> Try on of the Handi Vacs. They are fairly cheap and the bags are zip
>> lock and can be washed. If you find lots of uses for that, you can
>> then decide if the Food Saver would be worth it for you.

>I wouldn't want bags that could be washed. She would throw them away.
>>
>> I have a Food Saver and use it constantly. We freeze many things
>> since we have a large garden and buy in quantity. I also keep a
>> number of dry goods in large canning jars with the vacuum seal.

>I keep things in canning jars but I don't know about a vacuum seal.

Since you do not want things that she will have to bring home and
wash, find the cheapest sandwich size zip lock baggies you can find. I
have a box that originally contained 300. I would not want to try to
store meat for a long time, but they work fine for 1 shot use.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Connie TenClay" > wrote in message
>> I would look for some small closable plastic containers with snap on
>> lids. I get all kinds at Gordons Food Service (GFS)store.
>> http://www.gfs.com/gfs_marketplace.html
>> These come in all sizes. Think a lot like the cups that you get your meds
>> in at the hospital or single service dressing containers at some
>> restaurants. We use the little cups 2 oz or so and some 5oz works good
>> for pudding and jello, and then the larger size containers 1 cup, 2 cup
>> and just over 3 cup microwave safe containers for saving leftovers and
>> freezing portions. We have found them to be cheaper than ziplocs and
>> easier to use. They also have a much less expensive pan spray in a really
>> large can.
>> No affiliation with the store just a satisfied customer. I get a years
>> supply of stuff when we visit our son on Thanksgiving.

> Yeah, we have those but then she has to bring them back home to be washed.
> What I liked about the single serve ones was they could just be thrown away.
> I really hate containers. They just take up too much room in my kitchen
> that I don't have. If I have leftovers, I usually put them in a plastic bag
> so I can just throw it out when I am done.

these are cheap throwaway containers... that cost less than plastic bags.
Connie TC
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Cook" > wrote in message

> Since you do not want things that she will have to bring home and
> wash, find the cheapest sandwich size zip lock baggies you can find. I
> have a box that originally contained 300. I would not want to try to
> store meat for a long time, but they work fine for 1 shot use.

Yeah. That's what I'm doing now. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Connie TenClay" > wrote in message
> these are cheap throwaway containers... that cost less than plastic bags.

Oh, okay! I have seen those at Costco, but you have to buy a ton of them at
once. When we lived on Staten Island, there was a store that sold that kind
of stuff by the piece, but it was just sitting there open, exposed to dust
and stuff. So I never bought it.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message

> The *only* reason to refrigerate is to keep them from separating. (They
> even sell nut butters at the local health food store from bulk 5-gallon
> buckets; not refrigerated, and open to the air every time someone dips
> some out) And you can alleviate the oil separation by stirring. Keep your
> bulk containers in the fridge, but you don't need anything special for the
> single servings.
>
> Get disposable 2 ounce condiment cups with snap-on lids at a restaurant
> supply store. They may leak more easily than Tupperware, but it still
> shouldn't be much of a problem.
>
> If you want a Foodsaver, get one. But it's not going to help with this
> particular situation. HTH

I just wanted to know what else the Food Saver would do because I couldn't
think of any other uses I would need it for. If it won't help here, then I
won't need one.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> I am wondering if I need one of these? I was told I could use one to make
> single serve packets of nut butter but I would have to keep them in the
> refrigerator. You can get shelf stable single serve packs of almond and
> peanut butter, but daughter is allergic to both almonds and peanuts. I
> can't find any other nut or seed butters packaged this way. She likes to
> take nut or seed butter and jam in her lunch along with a hermetically
> sealed package of gluten free bread. But now that we know of her almond
> allergy, she can't do that. Unless of course I use a snack bag and just
> scoop some nut or seed butter into it.
>
> So... I know I can use a Food Saver to make little single serve packets.
> But what else is it good for? It looks like I could package up stuff for
> the freezer, but... I don't really freeze too much food. I do shop at
> Costco but I can get chicken breasts packaged in 2 breast portions and
> ground beef in 1 pound portions. I know they sell other kinds of meat but
> those and bacon are really the only meats I eat. I buy other stuff like
> pork chops in smaller quantities for my daughter and husband, but they don't
> eat them often so I can't see buying a big pack of that.
>
> We don't have a big freezer. Just a side by side. So not a lot of freezer
> space.
>
> Can the Food Saver be used for other things besides just freezing? I was
> going to ask for one for Christmas, but when I saw the price, it seemed like
> a lot of money to spend just to package up nut butter.

I've had my Food Saver for 4 or 5 years now and it has sure come in
handy for freezing stuff but the only way to may non-shelf-stable stuff
shelf-stable is by the use of preservatives. The Food Saver uses a
vacuum but that, in itself, does not make foods shelf-stable.

I use mine for all kinds of other things too, especially for
refrigerated and frozen items. Generally, I freeze things first in my
non-self-defrosting freezer and then vacuum-seal them. I keep cheese a
very long time... of course I wrap it in cheese cloth or wax paper
first. Can't recall the last year I had any cheese go moldy. We wash
and reuse bags. I get the rolls and cut my own. It's one of the best
investments I ever made in my kitchen.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Isabella Woodhouse" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> I am wondering if I need one of these? I was told I could use one to
>> make
>> single serve packets of nut butter but I would have to keep them in the
>> refrigerator. You can get shelf stable single serve packs of almond and
>> peanut butter, but daughter is allergic to both almonds and peanuts. I
>> can't find any other nut or seed butters packaged this way. She likes to
>> take nut or seed butter and jam in her lunch along with a hermetically
>> sealed package of gluten free bread. But now that we know of her almond
>> allergy, she can't do that. Unless of course I use a snack bag and just
>> scoop some nut or seed butter into it.
>>
>> So... I know I can use a Food Saver to make little single serve packets.
>> But what else is it good for? It looks like I could package up stuff for
>> the freezer, but... I don't really freeze too much food. I do shop at
>> Costco but I can get chicken breasts packaged in 2 breast portions and
>> ground beef in 1 pound portions. I know they sell other kinds of meat
>> but
>> those and bacon are really the only meats I eat. I buy other stuff like
>> pork chops in smaller quantities for my daughter and husband, but they
>> don't
>> eat them often so I can't see buying a big pack of that.
>>
>> We don't have a big freezer. Just a side by side. So not a lot of
>> freezer
>> space.
>>
>> Can the Food Saver be used for other things besides just freezing? I was
>> going to ask for one for Christmas, but when I saw the price, it seemed
>> like
>> a lot of money to spend just to package up nut butter.

> I've had my Food Saver for 4 or 5 years now and it has sure come in
> handy for freezing stuff but the only way to may non-shelf-stable stuff
> shelf-stable is by the use of preservatives. The Food Saver uses a
> vacuum but that, in itself, does not make foods shelf-stable.
>
> I use mine for all kinds of other things too, especially for
> refrigerated and frozen items. Generally, I freeze things first in my
> non-self-defrosting freezer and then vacuum-seal them. I keep cheese a
> very long time... of course I wrap it in cheese cloth or wax paper
> first. Can't recall the last year I had any cheese go moldy. We wash
> and reuse bags. I get the rolls and cut my own. It's one of the best
> investments I ever made in my kitchen.

Thanks! We eat very little cheese. I am allergic and daughter just outgrew
her allergy. She is allowed dairy only twice a week. She often opts to
have it in a restaurant, so I don't buy much of it for her at home. I
usually buy a small bag of shredded cheese and a bag of single serve String
or cheddar cheese for husband on an as needed basis. He goes through
periods of time when he eats cheese and other times where he won't. He
can't be bothered to slice or grate it so I get it ready to go.

My parents used to have a Seal A Meal. I believe this pre-dated Ziploc
bags. They used it a lot in those days. Now they use a ton of Ziploc bags.
So perhaps one of those Food Savers would work for them. But I don't see
the need for me.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

sometime in the recent past Julie Bove posted this:
> "The Cook" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 22:24:55 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I am wondering if I need one of these? I was told I could use one to make
>>> single serve packets of nut butter but I would have to keep them in the
>>> refrigerator. You can get shelf stable single serve packs of almond and
>>> peanut butter, but daughter is allergic to both almonds and peanuts. I
>>> can't find any other nut or seed butters packaged this way. She likes to
>>> take nut or seed butter and jam in her lunch along with a hermetically
>>> sealed package of gluten free bread. But now that we know of her almond
>>> allergy, she can't do that. Unless of course I use a snack bag and just
>>> scoop some nut or seed butter into it.
>>>
>>> So... I know I can use a Food Saver to make little single serve packets.
>>> But what else is it good for? It looks like I could package up stuff for
>>> the freezer, but... I don't really freeze too much food. I do shop at
>>> Costco but I can get chicken breasts packaged in 2 breast portions and
>>> ground beef in 1 pound portions. I know they sell other kinds of meat but
>>> those and bacon are really the only meats I eat. I buy other stuff like
>>> pork chops in smaller quantities for my daughter and husband, but they
>>> don't
>>> eat them often so I can't see buying a big pack of that.
>>>
>>> We don't have a big freezer. Just a side by side. So not a lot of
>>> freezer
>>> space.
>>>
>>> Can the Food Saver be used for other things besides just freezing? I was
>>> going to ask for one for Christmas, but when I saw the price, it seemed
>>> like
>>> a lot of money to spend just to package up nut butter.
>>>

>> I don't know of single serving containers that could be vacuumed, at
>> least not economically. The bags can be washed but you lose at least
>> an inch every time you open one.

> He said you couldn't do the vacuum part because it would suck the nut butter
> into the seal.

My Foodsaver allows you to cancel the 'suck' and seal the bag when you see
all the air is gone.
>> Try on of the Handi Vacs. They are fairly cheap and the bags are zip
>> lock and can be washed. If you find lots of uses for that, you can
>> then decide if the Food Saver would be worth it for you.

> I wouldn't want bags that could be washed. She would throw them away.
>> I have a Food Saver and use it constantly. We freeze many things
>> since we have a large garden and buy in quantity. I also keep a
>> number of dry goods in large canning jars with the vacuum seal.

> I keep things in canning jars but I don't know about a vacuum seal.

--
Wilson N44º39" W67º12"

Posted to rec.food.preserving

sometime in the recent past Julie Bove posted this:
> "Connie TenClay" > wrote in message
>> I would look for some small closable plastic containers with snap on
>> lids. I get all kinds at Gordons Food Service (GFS)store.
>> http://www.gfs.com/gfs_marketplace.html
>> These come in all sizes. Think a lot like the cups that you get your meds
>> in at the hospital or single service dressing containers at some
>> restaurants. We use the little cups 2 oz or so and some 5oz works good
>> for pudding and jello, and then the larger size containers 1 cup, 2 cup
>> and just over 3 cup microwave safe containers for saving leftovers and
>> freezing portions. We have found them to be cheaper than ziplocs and
>> easier to use. They also have a much less expensive pan spray in a really
>> large can.
>> No affiliation with the store just a satisfied customer. I get a years
>> supply of stuff when we visit our son on Thanksgiving.

> Yeah, we have those but then she has to bring them back home to be washed.
> What I liked about the single serve ones was they could just be thrown away.
> I really hate containers. They just take up too much room in my kitchen
> that I don't have. If I have leftovers, I usually put them in a plastic bag
> so I can just throw it out when I am done.

Yes. And there is an unlimited space at the local landfill to accommodate
our 'throw away' society with limited shelf space at home.

I must have missed why you can't just make the sandwich at home and be done
with it instead of all this single serving waste and 'hermetically sealed
slices of gluten free bread.' If you're disabled and can't make the
sandwiches yourself, then I apologize. Otherwise, this is a silly thread.

--
Wilson N44º39" W67º12"
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Wilson" > wrote in message
> sometime in the recent past Julie Bove posted this:
>> "Connie TenClay" > wrote in message
>>> I would look for some small closable plastic containers with snap on
>>> lids. I get all kinds at Gordons Food Service (GFS)store.
>>> http://www.gfs.com/gfs_marketplace.html
>>> These come in all sizes. Think a lot like the cups that you get your
>>> meds in at the hospital or single service dressing containers at some
>>> restaurants. We use the little cups 2 oz or so and some 5oz works good
>>> for pudding and jello, and then the larger size containers 1 cup, 2 cup
>>> and just over 3 cup microwave safe containers for saving leftovers and
>>> freezing portions. We have found them to be cheaper than ziplocs and
>>> easier to use. They also have a much less expensive pan spray in a
>>> really large can.
>>> No affiliation with the store just a satisfied customer. I get a years
>>> supply of stuff when we visit our son on Thanksgiving.

>> Yeah, we have those but then she has to bring them back home to be
>> washed. What I liked about the single serve ones was they could just be
>> thrown away. I really hate containers. They just take up too much room
>> in my kitchen that I don't have. If I have leftovers, I usually put them
>> in a plastic bag so I can just throw it out when I am done.

> Yes. And there is an unlimited space at the local landfill to accommodate
> our 'throw away' society with limited shelf space at home.
>
> I must have missed why you can't just make the sandwich at home and be
> done with it instead of all this single serving waste and 'hermetically
> sealed slices of gluten free bread.' If you're disabled and can't make the
> sandwiches yourself, then I apologize. Otherwise, this is a silly thread.

Actually I am disabled, but I can make sandwiches.

The problem with the gluten free bread (which is also egg and dairy free) is
that it dries out very quickly and goes crumbly once the package is opened.
If I make the sandwich at home, chances are, it will be in pieces by the
time she opens the bag for her lunch. That is why I send the bread in, in
that manner. She would prefer that the sandwich be made at home, but it
just doesn't work.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Wilson > wrote:

> sometime in the recent past Julie Bove posted this:

> > Yeah, we have those but then she has to bring them back home to be
> > washed. What I liked about the single serve ones was they could
> > just be thrown away. I really hate containers. They just take up
> > too much room in my kitchen that I don't have. If I have
> > leftovers, I usually put them in a plastic bag so I can just throw
> > it out when I am done.

> Yes. And there is an unlimited space at the local landfill to accommodate
> our 'throw away' society with limited shelf space at home.

Now, now... be nice. I've switched over to mostly wax paper for
wrapping any lunch items when I need to take a lunch. And for the
refrigerator, I keep many of my leftovers in canning jars. Glass is so
nice and reusable. No worries about toxins either.

> I must have missed why you can't just make the sandwich at home and be done
> with it instead of all this single serving waste and 'hermetically sealed
> slices of gluten free bread.' If you're disabled and can't make the
> sandwiches yourself, then I apologize. Otherwise, this is a silly thread.

Oy. I'm going to expand your horizons a little bit so you can
understand and maybe not be so... um... negative. You've obviously
never had gluten-free (GF) bread. Amid the growing "epidemic" of celiac
syndrome and gluten intolerance, how lucky you are to be able to eat
wheat.

Because of the lack of gluten, GF bread doesn't hold together well like
regular bread (which is why I so rarely eat bread) and dries out very
rapidly. Store-bought GF bread, almost always bought frozen, is
especially difficult--- even the best brands like Tinkyada. As soon as
the bread picks up a little moisture from whatever you put on it, it
starts to crumble and fall apart. That is unless, of course, it isn't
one of those hard-as- cardboard brands that break your teeth. So, a GF
sandwich is best made immediately before consuming.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.preserving

sometime in the recent past Julie Bove posted this:
> "Wilson" > wrote in message
>> sometime in the recent past Julie Bove posted this:
>>> Yeah, we have those but then she has to bring them back home to be
>>> washed. What I liked about the single serve ones was they could just be
>>> thrown away. I really hate containers. They just take up too much room
>>> in my kitchen that I don't have. If I have leftovers, I usually put them
>>> in a plastic bag so I can just throw it out when I am done.

>> Yes. And there is an unlimited space at the local landfill to accommodate
>> our 'throw away' society with limited shelf space at home.
>>
>> I must have missed why you can't just make the sandwich at home and be
>> done with it instead of all this single serving waste and 'hermetically
>> sealed slices of gluten free bread.' If you're disabled and can't make the
>> sandwiches yourself, then I apologize. Otherwise, this is a silly thread.

> Actually I am disabled, but I can make sandwiches.
>
> The problem with the gluten free bread (which is also egg and dairy free) is
> that it dries out very quickly and goes crumbly once the package is opened.
> If I make the sandwich at home, chances are, it will be in pieces by the
> time she opens the bag for her lunch. That is why I send the bread in, in
> that manner. She would prefer that the sandwich be made at home, but it
> just doesn't work.

Julie, I apologize for my lack of understanding about the gluten free bread.
I make bread on occasion and understand it in regular bread and hadn't
thought about what happens when it isn't there. You obviously have more to
worry about without my comments adding to your troubles. Good luck in your
quest.

ps to Isabella - points taken.

--
Wilson N44º39" W67º12"
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Wilson" > wrote in message
>> sometime in the recent past Julie Bove posted this:
>>> Yeah, we have those but then she has to bring them back home to be
>>> washed. What I liked about the single serve ones was they could just be
>>> thrown away. I really hate containers. They just take up too much room
>>> in my kitchen that I don't have. If I have leftovers, I usually put them
>>> in a plastic bag so I can just throw it out when I am done.

>> Yes. And there is an unlimited space at the local landfill to accommodate
>> our 'throw away' society with limited shelf space at home.
>>
>> I must have missed why you can't just make the sandwich at home and be
>> done with it instead of all this single serving waste and 'hermetically
>> sealed slices of gluten free bread.' If you're disabled and can't make the
>> sandwiches yourself, then I apologize. Otherwise, this is a silly thread.

> Actually I am disabled, but I can make sandwiches.
>
> The problem with the gluten free bread (which is also egg and dairy free) is
> that it dries out very quickly and goes crumbly once the package is opened.
> If I make the sandwich at home, chances are, it will be in pieces by the
> time she opens the bag for her lunch. That is why I send the bread in, in
> that manner. She would prefer that the sandwich be made at home, but it
> just doesn't work.

Send one as a test (along with your normal routine) and see. The peanut
butter and jam might keep the bread from drying out. The sandwich
*might* have to be in a sandwich-sized Tupperware container rather than
a Baggie, I don't know. Try it both ways.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message

> Send one as a test (along with your normal routine) and see. The peanut
> butter and jam might keep the bread from drying out. The sandwich *might*
> have to be in a sandwich-sized Tupperware container rather than a Baggie,
> I don't know. Try it both ways.

Oh I have tried that. She has to eat it with a spoon.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>
> > Send one as a test (along with your normal routine) and see. The peanut
> > butter and jam might keep the bread from drying out. The sandwich *might*
> > have to be in a sandwich-sized Tupperware container rather than a Baggie,
> > I don't know. Try it both ways.

> Oh I have tried that. She has to eat it with a spoon.

My kingdom for the day when someone discovers a way to make tasty,
serviceable, gluten-free bread that not only looks like bread but
actually tastes like it and will keep for a day or two out of the
freezer. I'd even be satisfied with some kind of flatbread--- something
that you could actually put something on and truly enjoy eating it.
FCOL, they can make Twinkies, can't they? Seems like they should be
able to compose something that tastes decent and *acts* like bread.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Isabella Woodhouse" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>>
>> > Send one as a test (along with your normal routine) and see. The
>> > peanut
>> > butter and jam might keep the bread from drying out. The sandwich
>> > *might*
>> > have to be in a sandwich-sized Tupperware container rather than a
>> > Baggie,
>> > I don't know. Try it both ways.

>> Oh I have tried that. She has to eat it with a spoon.

> My kingdom for the day when someone discovers a way to make tasty,
> serviceable, gluten-free bread that not only looks like bread but
> actually tastes like it and will keep for a day or two out of the
> freezer. I'd even be satisfied with some kind of flatbread--- something
> that you could actually put something on and truly enjoy eating it.
> FCOL, they can make Twinkies, can't they? Seems like they should be
> able to compose something that tastes decent and *acts* like bread.

I have a recipe for Focaccia that is actually quite tasty and holds
together. Haven't tried to keep it because it always gets eaten right away.
I don't know if it would work for sandwiches. I usually use it as a pizza
base or with cinnamon, sugar and vanilla icing for a dessert. Haven't made
it in quite a while.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> I have a recipe for Focaccia that is actually quite tasty and holds
> together. Haven't tried to keep it because it always gets eaten right away.
> I don't know if it would work for sandwiches. I usually use it as a pizza
> base or with cinnamon, sugar and vanilla icing for a dessert. Haven't made
> it in quite a while.

I'd love to have it if you would not mind--- or a reference. Thanks.
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Isabella Woodhouse" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> I have a recipe for Focaccia that is actually quite tasty and holds
>> together. Haven't tried to keep it because it always gets eaten right
>> away.
>> I don't know if it would work for sandwiches. I usually use it as a
>> pizza
>> base or with cinnamon, sugar and vanilla icing for a dessert. Haven't
>> made
>> it in quite a while.

> I'd love to have it if you would not mind--- or a reference. Thanks.

Okay. I will post it later tonight. I will have to find the book that it
is in. I should just keep that one on my computer. I've had a lot of
people ask for it.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Isabella Woodhouse" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> >
> >> I have a recipe for Focaccia that is actually quite tasty and

> > I'd love to have it if you would not mind--- or a reference. Thanks.

> Okay. I will post it later tonight. I will have to find the book that it
> is in. I should just keep that one on my computer. I've had a lot of
> people ask for it.

Maybe you would post it to rec.food.cooking; it would be more
appropriate there than here.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini
(Send her a note!)
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Isabella Woodhouse wrote:
> Because of the lack of gluten, GF bread doesn't hold together well like
> regular bread (which is why I so rarely eat bread) and dries out very
> rapidly. Store-bought GF bread, almost always bought frozen, is
> especially difficult--- even the best brands like Tinkyada. As soon as
> the bread picks up a little moisture from whatever you put on it, it
> starts to crumble and fall apart. That is unless, of course, it isn't
> one of those hard-as- cardboard brands that break your teeth. So, a GF
> sandwich is best made immediately before consuming.

The problem is that bread is gluten. Gluten is the protien that stetches
when bread rises and gives it it's shape and texture. Gluten free bread made
from wheat would be basicly wallpaper paste (wheat starch).

You can make wheat free products with gluten from other sources and people
with wheat alergies can eat them, but people who have gluten alergies can not.
Note that they are seperate alergies but many people have both.

So far, no one has figured out how to make bread with similar protiens that
do not trigger either a gluten or wheat alergy and give it the "rise".

On that note someone brought 2 boxes of very expensive oat matzah to our
seder this year. He ate the required 4 bites and abandoned them. I felt
that they tasted like oatmeal and with something sweet and fruity they
were edible, but no one else did.

I suppose if you were willing to experiment you might try something like
soy or chickpea flour as they are high in protiens which are not gluten.
Both are used in cooking as wrapping dough and "breading" in some
cultures, but I've never seen them used in bread.

Geoff.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
(Geoffrey S. Mendelson) wrote:

> Isabella Woodhouse wrote:
> > Because of the lack of gluten, GF bread doesn't hold together well like
> > regular bread (which is why I so rarely eat bread) and dries out very
> > rapidly. Store-bought GF bread, almost always bought frozen, is
> > especially difficult--- even the best brands like Tinkyada. As soon as
> > the bread picks up a little moisture from whatever you put on it, it
> > starts to crumble and fall apart. That is unless, of course, it isn't
> > one of those hard-as- cardboard brands that break your teeth. So, a GF
> > sandwich is best made immediately before consuming.

> The problem is that bread is gluten. Gluten is the protien that stetches
> when bread rises and gives it it's shape and texture. Gluten free bread made
> from wheat would be basicly wallpaper paste (wheat starch).

Um no... the bread is most certainly not "gluten". Gluten-free bread
cannot be made from any form of wheat including wheat starch which still
contains toxic prolamins. Gluten-free bakery is generally made from a
base of rice flour but may include tapioca, sorghum, potato and/or other
GF flours. It cannot include any form of wheat, rye, barley, oats,
spelt, kamut, durum, semolina or farro. When used in relation to celiac
or gluten intolerance syndrome, which are not allergies, the term
"gluten" is used to describe the gliadin, hordein and secalin proteins
or prolamins that cause toxic reactions in those people with these
auto-immune conditions.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> On that note someone brought 2 boxes of very expensive oat matzah to
> our seder this year. He ate the required 4 bites and abandoned them.

OTOH, matzo isn't intended to be a treat to begin with. Even "regular"
matzot are referred to as "hemstitched cardboard."

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Nov 2, 11:53*am, Brian Mailman > wrote:
> Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> > On that note someone brought 2 boxes of very expensive oat matzah to
> > our seder this year. He ate the required 4 bites and abandoned them.

> OTOH, matzo isn't intended to be a treat to begin with. *Even "regular"
> matzot are referred to as "hemstitched cardboard."
>
> B/

They taste pretty good if you dip them in chocolate...

Otherwise, you are correct. I often wonder if the box they come in
would do if ya run out halfway through a seder.

: - )

Okay, just realized the topic is 'food saver'. I have one and use it
mostly to seal dry stuff in jars--with the lid sealing attachments,
one for wide mouth, one for standard mouth. It was a gift.

Food Saver Malcom Mal Reynolds General Cooking 15 08-08-2015 05:16 AM
Food Saver a74aggie Preserving 7 31-12-2004 09:13 PM
Food Saver a74aggie Preserving 0 30-12-2004 02:47 AM