Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Got the cups today

Last week I ordered some heavy-duty stainless cups from Amazon.com. The
cups are made by MIU of France. Sizes are 1 cup, 3/4 cup, 2/3 cup, 1/2
cup, 1/3 cup, 1/4 cup, and 1/8 cup, now I don't have to guesstimate the
smallest size. Plus I can actually read the size on the handles without
my reading glasses, hopefully no more mistakes in getting the right cup.
All of our old plastic cups have the numbers in the same size as the cup
so they're hard for our old eyes to read.

I suspect we're going to really like these cups. For $27 bucks we had
better.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Last week I ordered some heavy-duty stainless cups from Amazon.com.
> The cups are made by MIU of France. Sizes are 1 cup, 3/4 cup, 2/3
> cup, 1/2 cup, 1/3 cup, 1/4 cup, and 1/8 cup, now I don't have to
> guesstimate the smallest size. Plus I can actually read the size on
> the handles without my reading glasses, hopefully no more mistakes in
> getting the right cup. All of our old plastic cups have the numbers
> in the same size as the cup so they're hard for our old eyes to read.
>
> I suspect we're going to really like these cups. For $27 bucks we had
> better.

Metric, US or Imperial cups, could be metric if from France.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_(unit)

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Last week I ordered some heavy-duty stainless cups from Amazon.com. The
> cups are made by MIU of France. Sizes are 1 cup, 3/4 cup, 2/3 cup, 1/2
> cup, 1/3 cup, 1/4 cup, and 1/8 cup, now I don't have to guesstimate the
> smallest size. Plus I can actually read the size on the handles without
> my reading glasses, hopefully no more mistakes in getting the right cup.
> All of our old plastic cups have the numbers in the same (size -sub in color for size and the sentence reads properly) as the cup
> so they're hard for our old eyes to read.
>
> I suspect we're going to really like these cups. For $27 bucks we had
> better.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

GreenieLeBrun wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> Last week I ordered some heavy-duty stainless cups from Amazon.com.
>> The cups are made by MIU of France. Sizes are 1 cup, 3/4 cup, 2/3
>> cup, 1/2 cup, 1/3 cup, 1/4 cup, and 1/8 cup, now I don't have to
>> guesstimate the smallest size. Plus I can actually read the size on
>> the handles without my reading glasses, hopefully no more mistakes in
>> getting the right cup. All of our old plastic cups have the numbers
>> in the same size as the cup so they're hard for our old eyes to read.
>>
>> I suspect we're going to really like these cups. For $27 bucks we had
>> better.

> Metric, US or Imperial cups, could be metric if from France.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_(unit)

US measure for the US market.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Last week I ordered some heavy-duty stainless cups from Amazon.com. The
> cups are made by MIU of France. Sizes are 1 cup, 3/4 cup, 2/3 cup, 1/2
> cup, 1/3 cup, 1/4 cup, and 1/8 cup, now I don't have to guesstimate the
> smallest size. Plus I can actually read the size on the handles without
> my reading glasses, hopefully no more mistakes in getting the right cup.
> All of our old plastic cups have the numbers in the same size as the cup
> so they're hard for our old eyes to read.
>
> I suspect we're going to really like these cups. For $27 bucks we had
> better.

The two MIU things I received from Amazon just a week or so ago--- SS
measuring cups and an oven thermometer--- ended up having really been
made in China. The cups look good and sturdy but we'll see how they
hold up. The oven thermometer works but I wonder for how long. With
all the problems lately, I worry. A few years back, I bought a little
set of some Wolfgang Puck SS saucepans at Sams. They seemed heavy
enough and they looked good. But the handles were bolted on and they
all leaked at the handle. I could only use them if I filled the pot
below the lowest point on the handle. I am just so tired of losing
money on crap from China.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Wed 29 Oct 2008 09:08:19p, Isabella Woodhouse told us...

> The two MIU things I received from Amazon just a week or so ago--- SS
> measuring cups and an oven thermometer--- ended up having really been
> made in China. The cups look good and sturdy but we'll see how they
> hold up. The oven thermometer works but I wonder for how long. With
> all the problems lately, I worry. A few years back, I bought a little
> set of some Wolfgang Puck SS saucepans at Sams. They seemed heavy
> enough and they looked good. But the handles were bolted on and they
> all leaked at the handle. I could only use them if I filled the pot
> below the lowest point on the handle. I am just so tired of losing
> money on crap from China.
>
> Isabella

If you’re considering replacing the Puck junk, you might be interested in
this set, Costco’s Kirkland brand. It’s beautifully made, handles are
firmly riveted and leak proof, and the bottoms are extra heavy with
excellent heat distribution.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11257108
&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US&s=1

or

http://tinyurl.com/6hr69f

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 10(X)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
1wks 5dys 2hrs 37mins
To assume makes an ass out of *you*.
Leave *me* out of this.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Isabella Woodhouse wrote:
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> Last week I ordered some heavy-duty stainless cups from Amazon.com. The
>> cups are made by MIU of France. Sizes are 1 cup, 3/4 cup, 2/3 cup, 1/2
>> cup, 1/3 cup, 1/4 cup, and 1/8 cup, now I don't have to guesstimate the
>> smallest size. Plus I can actually read the size on the handles without
>> my reading glasses, hopefully no more mistakes in getting the right cup.
>> All of our old plastic cups have the numbers in the same size as the cup
>> so they're hard for our old eyes to read.
>>
>> I suspect we're going to really like these cups. For $27 bucks we had
>> better.

> The two MIU things I received from Amazon just a week or so ago--- SS
> measuring cups and an oven thermometer--- ended up having really been
> made in China. The cups look good and sturdy but we'll see how they
> hold up. The oven thermometer works but I wonder for how long. With
> all the problems lately, I worry. A few years back, I bought a little
> set of some Wolfgang Puck SS saucepans at Sams. They seemed heavy
> enough and they looked good. But the handles were bolted on and they
> all leaked at the handle. I could only use them if I filled the pot
> below the lowest point on the handle. I am just so tired of losing
> money on crap from China.
>
> Isabella

That's strange, the cups I bought say France on them quite clearly and
no where do they have China stamped or printed on them. Of course at $28
bucks a set they had better last.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Isabella Woodhouse wrote:
> > In article >,
> > George Shirley > wrote:
> >
> >> Last week I ordered some heavy-duty stainless cups from Amazon.com. The
> >> cups are made by MIU of France. Sizes are 1 cup, 3/4 cup, 2/3 cup, 1/2
> >> cup, 1/3 cup, 1/4 cup, and 1/8 cup, now I don't have to guesstimate the
> >> smallest size. Plus I can actually read the size on the handles without
> >> my reading glasses, hopefully no more mistakes in getting the right cup.
> >> All of our old plastic cups have the numbers in the same size as the cup
> >> so they're hard for our old eyes to read.
> >>
> >> I suspect we're going to really like these cups. For $27 bucks we had
> >> better.

> > The two MIU things I received from Amazon just a week or so ago--- SS
> > measuring cups and an oven thermometer--- ended up having really been
> > made in China. The cups look good and sturdy but we'll see how they
> > hold up. The oven thermometer works but I wonder for how long. With
> > all the problems lately, I worry. A few years back, I bought a little
> > set of some Wolfgang Puck SS saucepans at Sams. They seemed heavy
> > enough and they looked good. But the handles were bolted on and they
> > all leaked at the handle. I could only use them if I filled the pot
> > below the lowest point on the handle. I am just so tired of losing
> > money on crap from China.

> That's strange, the cups I bought say France on them quite clearly and
> no where do they have China stamped or printed on them. Of course at $28
> bucks a set they had better last.

I note that there are a number of different MIU measuring cup sets for
sale on Amazon. Caveat emptor.
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Wed 29 Oct 2008 09:08:19p, Isabella Woodhouse told us...
>
> > The two MIU things I received from Amazon just a week or so ago--- SS
> > measuring cups and an oven thermometer--- ended up having really been
> > made in China. The cups look good and sturdy but we'll see how they
> > hold up. The oven thermometer works but I wonder for how long. With
> > all the problems lately, I worry. A few years back, I bought a little
> > set of some Wolfgang Puck SS saucepans at Sams. They seemed heavy
> > enough and they looked good. But the handles were bolted on and they
> > all leaked at the handle. I could only use them if I filled the pot
> > below the lowest point on the handle. I am just so tired of losing
> > money on crap from China.
> >

> If you’re considering replacing the Puck junk, you might be interested in
> this set, Costco’s Kirkland brand. It’s beautifully made, handles are
> firmly riveted and leak proof, and the bottoms are extra heavy with
> excellent heat distribution.
>
> http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11257108
> &whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US&s=1
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6hr69f

Thanks Wayne. I've already replaced them with an assortment of SS
Demeyere, Mauviel and Sitram. All induction ready. I especially love
the Demeyere saute pans and skillets. I wish we had a nearby Costco,
though.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu 30 Oct 2008 08:51:57p, Isabella Woodhouse told us...

> Thanks Wayne. I've already replaced them with an assortment of SS
> Demeyere, Mauviel and Sitram. All induction ready. I especially love
> the Demeyere saute pans and skillets. I wish we had a nearby Costco,
> though.
>
> Isabella

It sounds like you’ve put together a nice collection, Isabella!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 10(X)/31(XXXI)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Halloween
Countdown till Veteran's Day
1wks 3dys 18hrs 57mins
The Majority is never right unless it

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Isabella Woodhouse wrote:
> > In article >,
> > George Shirley > wrote:
> >
> >> Last week I ordered some heavy-duty stainless cups from Amazon.com. The
> >> cups are made by MIU of France. Sizes are 1 cup, 3/4 cup, 2/3 cup, 1/2
> >> cup, 1/3 cup, 1/4 cup, and 1/8 cup, now I don't have to guesstimate the
> >> smallest size. Plus I can actually read the size on the handles without
> >> my reading glasses, hopefully no more mistakes in getting the right cup.
> >> All of our old plastic cups have the numbers in the same size as the cup
> >> so they're hard for our old eyes to read.
> >>
> >> I suspect we're going to really like these cups. For $27 bucks we had
> >> better.

> > The two MIU things I received from Amazon just a week or so ago--- SS
> > measuring cups and an oven thermometer--- ended up having really been
> > made in China. The cups look good and sturdy but we'll see how they
> > hold up. The oven thermometer works but I wonder for how long. With
> > all the problems lately, I worry. A few years back, I bought a little
> > set of some Wolfgang Puck SS saucepans at Sams. They seemed heavy
> > enough and they looked good. But the handles were bolted on and they
> > all leaked at the handle. I could only use them if I filled the pot
> > below the lowest point on the handle. I am just so tired of losing
> > money on crap from China.

> That's strange, the cups I bought say France on them quite clearly and
> no where do they have China stamped or printed on them. Of course at $28
> bucks a set they had better last.

Update: Before taking the recycling out, I pulled the packaging out of
the bin. It clearly said "Made in China". But like yours, all of my
cups say "MIU France" on the underside of the handles. Mine is the set
of 7 and I got it for $18.99 from Amazon. If you read some of the
reviews there, you will see that MIU is from China. I did not read the
reviews before I bought since the ratings were so excellent. Frankly, I
wasn't expecting that they were made in France since nowhere in the
Amazon ad does it say that. But I was surprised they were from China.
Nonetheless, they seem sturdy and they do have a lifetime warranty
(limited) in case any of the handle welds give out.

Isabella

K Cups Brooklyn1 General Cooking 2 01-09-2016 01:47 PM
B cups were D cups Brooklyn1 General Cooking 0 15-06-2015 08:18 PM
Tomato Cups Cheri[_3_] Diabetic 0 23-08-2012 04:18 PM
Seven cups tea Mark[_8_] Tea 2 02-01-2009 03:13 PM
Tea cups koko General Cooking 31 29-08-2008 06:16 PM