Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Pickle Crisp

According to this site
http://www.canningpantry.com/ball-pickle-crisp.html
Pickle Crisp has been discontinued. Pete suggested we see if the
local pharmacy can get us some Calcium Chloride. On the other hand,
if it is tat good, why discontinue it?
Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Cook wrote:
> According to this site
> http://www.canningpantry.com/ball-pickle-crisp.html
> Pickle Crisp has been discontinued. Pete suggested we see if the
> local pharmacy can get us some Calcium Chloride. On the other hand,
> if it is tat good, why discontinue it?

Probably not enough demand. I just learned of it recently and it has
already been discontinued.

Someone posted the other day that places that sell beer-making supplies
carry calcium chloride.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> According to this site
> http://www.canningpantry.com/ball-pickle-crisp.html
> Pickle Crisp has been discontinued. Pete suggested we see if the
> local pharmacy can get us some Calcium Chloride. On the other hand,
> if it is tat good, why discontinue it?

It isn't discontinued. I just saw it on their website

http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages/search/180.php

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 18:54:30 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>The Cook wrote:
>> According to this site
>> http://www.canningpantry.com/ball-pickle-crisp.html
>> Pickle Crisp has been discontinued. Pete suggested we see if the
>> local pharmacy can get us some Calcium Chloride. On the other hand,
>> if it is tat good, why discontinue it?

>Probably not enough demand. I just learned of it recently and it has
>already been discontinued.
>
>Someone posted the other day that places that sell beer-making supplies
>carry calcium chloride.

Keep us posted on your results with it. In the meantime I will use up
my pickling lime.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

> wrote in message
news
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 18:14:12 -0500, The Cook >
> wrote:
> --Quoted Text-
>>According to this site
>>http://www.canningpantry.com/ball-pickle-crisp.html
>>Pickle Crisp has been discontinued. Pete suggested we see if the
>>local pharmacy can get us some Calcium Chloride. On the other hand,
>>if it is tat good, why discontinue it?

> My mother used a pinch of pure alum (=kaliumaluminiumsulfaat??) to
> keep the pickle crisp. She bought it at the drugstore.
>
> gr. Carley.

I've seen alum around in leetle jars at the grocery. Joy of Pickling's
author's husband didn't like the taste much, and I've never used it. Anybody
else on the taste/texture?
Gr'aunty Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:
> > wrote in message
> news
>> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 18:14:12 -0500, The Cook >
>> wrote:
>> --Quoted Text-
>>> According to this site
>>> http://www.canningpantry.com/ball-pickle-crisp.html
>>> Pickle Crisp has been discontinued. Pete suggested we see if the
>>> local pharmacy can get us some Calcium Chloride. On the other hand,
>>> if it is tat good, why discontinue it?

>> My mother used a pinch of pure alum (=kaliumaluminiumsulfaat??) to
>> keep the pickle crisp. She bought it at the drugstore.
>>
>> gr. Carley.

> I've seen alum around in leetle jars at the grocery. Joy of Pickling's
> author's husband didn't like the taste much, and I've never used it. Anybody
> else on the taste/texture?
> Gr'aunty Edrena

Never made pickles with it but used to handle 11 Baume alum all the time
when I treated water for a living. Accidentally tasted some once and I
know I never wanted another taste. Other than that I know nothing about
using it for canning.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat 19 Jul 2008 02:08:07p, The Joneses told us...

> > wrote in message
> news
>> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 18:14:12 -0500, The Cook >
>> wrote: --Quoted Text-
>>>According to this site
>>>http://www.canningpantry.com/ball-pickle-crisp.html
>>>Pickle Crisp has been discontinued. Pete suggested we see if the
>>>local pharmacy can get us some Calcium Chloride. On the other hand,
>>>if it is tat good, why discontinue it?

>> My mother used a pinch of pure alum (=kaliumaluminiumsulfaat??) to
>> keep the pickle crisp. She bought it at the drugstore.
>>
>> gr. Carley.

> I've seen alum around in leetle jars at the grocery. Joy of Pickling's
> author's husband didn't like the taste much, and I've never used it.
> Anybody else on the taste/texture?
> Gr'aunty Edrena

Alum used in pickling should be used in much the same way as one uses
picklling lime; i.e., as a pre-soak solution prior to the actual pickling
solution. IIRC, the proportions should be 2-1/2 tablespoons of alum per
gallon of water. This drained completely before further steps. Pickles
"cured" with alum water are extremely crisp and hold their color well. My
grandmother made pickles using both the alum and lime methods and they were
both good. Her sweet pickles made using the alum solution were some of the
best I've ever tasted. I never noticed any residual taste from the alum.
I have a recipe somewhere that I can dig up if anyone wants it.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 07(VII)/19(XIX)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat 19 Jul 2008 02:08:07p, The Joneses told us...

> > wrote in message
> news
>> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 18:14:12 -0500, The Cook >
>> wrote: --Quoted Text-
>>>According to this site
>>>http://www.canningpantry.com/ball-pickle-crisp.html
>>>Pickle Crisp has been discontinued. Pete suggested we see if the
>>>local pharmacy can get us some Calcium Chloride. On the other hand,
>>>if it is tat good, why discontinue it?

>> My mother used a pinch of pure alum (=kaliumaluminiumsulfaat??) to
>> keep the pickle crisp. She bought it at the drugstore.
>>
>> gr. Carley.

> I've seen alum around in leetle jars at the grocery. Joy of Pickling's
> author's husband didn't like the taste much, and I've never used it.
> Anybody else on the taste/texture?
> Gr'aunty Edrena

Alum used in pickling should be used in much the same way as one uses
picklling lime; i.e., as a pre-soak solution prior to the actual pickling
solution. IIRC, the proportions should be 2-1/2 tablespoons of alum per
gallon of water. The solution is drained completely before further steps.
Pickles "cured" with alum water are extremely crisp and hold their color
well. My grandmother made pickles using both the alum and lime methods and
they were both good. Her sweet pickles made using the alum solution were
some of the best I've ever tasted. I never noticed any residual taste from
the alum. I have a recipe somewhere that I can dig up if anyone wants it.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 07(VII)/19(XIX)/08(MMVIII)
Useless Invention: Laundromat in a
nudist colony.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> The Joneses wrote:

>> I've seen alum around in leetle jars at the grocery. Joy of
>> Pickling's author's husband didn't like the taste much, and I've
>> never used it. Anybody else on the taste/texture? Gr'aunty Edrena
>>

> Never made pickles with it but used to handle 11 Baume alum all the
> time when I treated water for a living. Accidentally tasted some once
> and I know I never wanted another taste. Other than that I know
> nothing about using it for canning.

Don't think you're supposed to eat it. It's the main ingredient in the
old-fashioned "stypic pencil" used to stop bleeding after nicking
oneself while shaving.

B/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

typo.... "styptic pencil"

B/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Brian Mailman wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> The Joneses wrote:

>>> I've seen alum around in leetle jars at the grocery. Joy of
>>> Pickling's author's husband didn't like the taste much, and I've
>>> never used it. Anybody else on the taste/texture? Gr'aunty Edrena
>>>

>> Never made pickles with it but used to handle 11 Baume alum all the
>> time when I treated water for a living. Accidentally tasted some once
>> and I know I never wanted another taste. Other than that I know
>> nothing about using it for canning.

> Don't think you're supposed to eat it. It's the main ingredient in the
> old-fashioned "stypic pencil" used to stop bleeding after nicking
> oneself while shaving.
>
> B/

I wasn't trying to deliberately eat it, the damned tank overflowed and
splashed me. The guy I relieved on shift was the laziest human I ever
met. One of the happiest days in my life was when the foreman caught him
sleeping and fired him.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Brian Mailman wrote:
>> George Shirley wrote:

>>> Never made pickles with it but used to handle 11 Baume alum all the
>>> time when I treated water for a living. Accidentally tasted some once
>>> and I know I never wanted another taste. Other than that I know
>>> nothing about using it for canning.

>> Don't think you're supposed to eat it. It's the main ingredient in the
>> old-fashioned "stypic pencil" used to stop bleeding after nicking
>> oneself while shaving.
>>
>> B/
>>

> I wasn't trying to deliberately eat it,

<G> <poke>

I was also reacting to others talking about the taste.

> the damned tank overflowed and
> splashed me. The guy I relieved on shift was the laziest human I ever
> met.

B'lieve me, in culinary work, you run into folks too lazy to breathe on
occasion.

B/

Pickle Crisp ?? {BEV} Preserving 7 02-09-2012 08:54 PM
Pickle Crisp Carol S Preserving 4 25-05-2012 04:46 PM
Pickle Crisp Melba's Jammin' Preserving 6 28-02-2011 04:48 PM
Pickle Crisp - Again. Ross@home Preserving 1 15-07-2010 12:32 AM
Pickle Crisp George Shirley Preserving 13 13-06-2010 12:30 AM