Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Ball -Mason Jar storage boxes

Dose anyone know where I can buy some boxes to store canning jars.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Gloria P wrote:

> wrote:
> > Dose anyone know where I can buy some boxes to store canning jars.

> If you have a liquor store you patronize, the boxes wine and other
> alcohol come in with the dividers would make decent storage and you
> could stack the jars two or three high, depending on size, in each
> compartment.

I get boxes from the Post Office, you can order these from
www.usps.com
....I get the 12x12x8 inch Priority Mail boxes...no dividers but they are
very strong. They are totally free, as is the shipping. I've ordered them
online and they've come in as little as two day's time. They've got a nice
variety of free shipping boxes/materials, all free and deliverable right to
yer door.

This is one of my fave "frugal finds"...you could even use the adhesive USPS
mailing labels as jar labels (after cutting them to size) I guess.

Our taxes (partly, at least) pay for this, so I'm not shy about taking
advantage of it. I don't order huge quantities, either, so...

If ya need bubble wrap/cardboard go to a furniture store, they throw away
TONS of that plus other packing materials...they'll be glad to let you haul
away as much as you care to take for free.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> I get boxes from the Post Office, you can order these fromwww.usps.com
> ...I get the 12x12x8 inch Priority Mail boxes...no dividers but they are
> very strong. They are totally free, as is the shipping. I've ordered them
> online and they've come in as little as two day's time. They've got a nice
> variety of free shipping boxes/materials, all free and deliverable right to
> yer door.
>
> This is one of my fave "frugal finds"...you could even use the adhesive USPS
> mailing labels as jar labels (after cutting them to size) I guess.
>
> Our taxes (partly, at least) pay for this, so I'm not shy about taking
> advantage of it. I don't order huge quantities, either, so...
>
> If ya need bubble wrap/cardboard go to a furniture store, they throw away
> TONS of that plus other packing materials...they'll be glad to let you haul
> away as much as you care to take for free.

I'm sure I saw an episode of "The Simpsons" based on this, where Bart
and Lisa built a mighty fort out of free USPS boxes. ;-)

Since I'm in Australia (and thus don't get free USPS boxes), I use
recycled paper ream boxes as Edrena mentions above.

BTH
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Gloria P wrote:
>
>> wrote:
>>> Dose anyone know where I can buy some boxes to store canning jars.

>> If you have a liquor store you patronize, the boxes wine and other
>> alcohol come in with the dividers would make decent storage and you
>> could stack the jars two or three high, depending on size, in each
>> compartment.

> I get boxes from the Post Office, you can order these from
www.usps.com
> ...I get the 12x12x8 inch Priority Mail boxes...no dividers but they are
> very strong. They are totally free, as is the shipping. I've ordered them
> online and they've come in as little as two day's time. They've got a nice
> variety of free shipping boxes/materials, all free and deliverable right to
> yer door.
>
> This is one of my fave "frugal finds"...you could even use the adhesive USPS
> mailing labels as jar labels (after cutting them to size) I guess.
>
> Our taxes (partly, at least) pay for this, so I'm not shy about taking
> advantage of it. I don't order huge quantities, either, so...

They're not intended for uses other than mailing through the USPS, so I
would consider it unethical to do this. There's no reason my tax
dollars should pay for your canning supplies.

Serene
--
"I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef
Posted to rec.food.preserving

> I really like the pint-and-a-half mason jars that some speghetti sauce
> comes in. ...................

Yeah. Classico spaghetti sauce comes in square Atlas Mason jars. The ones I
like are clearly marked with levels at 4oz, 8oz and 12oz and there is room
above the 12oz level for another 3 oz flush with the top of the jar, about
15 ozs, perfect size for jams.

When they make these jars, they must brand them when they are at glass
melting temperatures, since all the markings are pressed right into the
glass.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Borderline wrote:
>> I really like the pint-and-a-half mason jars that some speghetti
>> sauce comes in. ...................

> Yeah. Classico spaghetti sauce comes in square Atlas Mason jars. The
> ones I like are clearly marked with levels at 4oz, 8oz and 12oz and
> there is room above the 12oz level for another 3 oz flush with the top
> of the jar, about 15 ozs, perfect size for jams.
>
> When they make these jars, they must brand them when they are at glass
> melting temperatures, since all the markings are pressed right into the
> glass.

Generally molten glass at the leather stage is blown into a steel mold.
The lettering is in the mold. Bottle and jar makers have been doing that
for at least 200 years. Early on they were hand blown into the mold,
nowadays it's all machines.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> Gregory Morrow wrote:
> > Gloria P wrote:
> >> wrote:

[ . . . ]
> > I get boxes from the Post Office, you can order these from
www.usps.com
> > ...I get the 12x12x8 inch Priority Mail boxes...no dividers but they
> > are very strong. They are totally free, as is the shipping. I've
> > ordered them online and they've come in as little as two day's time.
> > They've got a nice variety of free shipping boxes/materials, all free
> > and deliverable right to yer door.

[]
> They're not intended for uses other than mailing through the USPS, so I
> would consider it unethical to do this. There's no reason my tax
> dollars should pay for your canning supplies.

I also get boxes and envelopes free from the USPS. I use them for mailing.
I also reuse packages that merchandise comes in. I agree with you, Serene.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> > Gregory Morrow wrote:

> [ . . . ]
> > > I get boxes from the Post Office, you can order these from

www.usps.com
> > > ...I get the 12x12x8 inch Priority Mail boxes...no dividers but they
> > > are very strong. They are totally free, as is the shipping. I've
> > > ordered them online and they've come in as little as two day's time.
> > > They've got a nice variety of free shipping boxes/materials, all free
> > > and deliverable right to yer door.

> []
> > They're not intended for uses other than mailing through the USPS, so I
> > would consider it unethical to do this. There's no reason my tax
> > dollars should pay for your canning supplies.

> I also get boxes and envelopes free from the USPS. I use them for mailing.
> I also reuse packages that merchandise comes in. I agree with you, Serene.

Geeze, just how old are you two fossils? ;-)

USPS was mandated by the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970 to be
"revenue neutral". Under todays laws it does not consume taxes nor
produce a profit with one exception - federal taxes are used to reimburse
the cost of mailing absentee ballots to citizens living overseas, for all
postal
expenses of legally blind people, for ratting out the addresses of
child-support
duckers, and for a handful of rural post offices.

Also, under the law in 1982 stamps were no longer defined as "taxes"

The reason USPS gives out priority mail boxes for free is purely a
marketing gimmick. The fact is that priority mail and first class mail are
carried on the same trucks by the same carrier, and arrive at the same
time. Check out he

http://www.usps.com/prices/welcome.htm

Note that Average Delivery Time of first class and priority mail are the
same. The weight limit of first class is 13 ounces and the size limit of
a first class package is 108 inches combined length and girth. However
the price difference between priority mail and first class is significant.

What is paying for those boxes are stupid people who see USPS
shipping boxes over and over that have priority mail slapped on them,
and just automatically tell the postal counter clerk to ship their first
class mail envelopes priority mail rather than first class. The additional
money that they
pay gives them absolutely nothing other than what they would get
from first class mail. The Post Office uses part of that additional
money to buy more free boxes that help to drill "priority mail"
into people's brains through the magic of advertising.

Ted

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> > [ . . . ]

www.usps.com

> > []
> > > They're not intended for uses other than mailing through the USPS, so
> > > I would consider it unethical to do this. There's no reason my tax
> > > dollars should pay for your canning supplies.

> > I also get boxes and envelopes free from the USPS. I use them for
> > mailing. I also reuse packages that merchandise comes in. I agree with
> > you, Serene.
> >

> Geeze, just how old are you two fossils? ;-)

I'm a 73 year old moron, thank you kind sir. Earliest memory is of 3¢ First
Class, 2-1/2¢ Second Class and penny postals. I was also taught not to
cheat or steal. Real old-fashioned, eh?

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote:
> > > [ . . . ]

www.usps.com

day's
> > > []

so

> > > I also get boxes and envelopes free from the USPS. I use them for
> > > mailing. I also reuse packages that merchandise comes in. I agree with
> > > you, Serene.
> > >

> > Geeze, just how old are you two fossils? ;-)

> I'm a 73 year old moron, thank you kind sir. Earliest memory is of 3¢

First
> Class, 2-1/2¢ Second Class and penny postals. I was also taught not to
> cheat or steal. Real old-fashioned, eh?

Well, I regard what USPS is doing as a form of theft myself. Of course,
a lot of companies do it. Take for example, Coca-Cola.

I drink Coke, always have, can't stand the taste of Pepsi. If every Coke
advert went off the television tomorrow I would not stop drinking it.

I regard it as theft when Coke increases the price of a can of Coke by
50 cents or whatever, so as to display a 200 million dollar advert on
television, that is absolutely no use whatsoever to me.

Since I'm a loyal Coke drinker, why can't I pay 10 cents a can, and
the other people who -need to see- the Coke advert on the telly to
buy it, pay the hyper-inflated advertising-price? I don't even watch
telly much, anyway.

When I package something to ship out on Ebay in a cardboard box
that I got from my basement, and take it to USPS, isn't it theft when
I have to pay extra postage to cover the cost of the free boxes that
USPS gives to the next bozo in line to ship his stuff because he's
too lazy to bother saving a cardboard box? Why should I have to
pay for the other shipper's cardboard when I supply my own?

Do you see where this is going?

Theft isn't an absolute, never has been, never will be. It simply
depends on the point of view you hold. The big companies that
force customers to pay for crap that they don't need - like obnoxious
advertising - don't regard it as theft. The customers who lose
hours of their lifetime when they watch a few hours of TV a night,
due to watching the innumerable commercials stuffed in the shows,
certainly regard it as theft. Who is right?

You and I probably have similar values, and probably regard most of
the same kinds of theft, as theft. But, I do understand that other people
have different points of view, and from their POV there's going to be
some things that I regard as theft, that they don't. And, when they are
taking from an organization that ALSO doesen't regard some of the
things that IT does that are directly related to their stealing as theft -
things that -I- consider theft - then things get very grey and blurry very
quick.

Speaking of ethics - your old enough to have been alive during many
wars this country has been involved in. Do you think that the
baldfaced lying that the US Government has done through every
war it's been involved in, to further it's goals, was ethical? If
you have ever been in an army, can you say with a straight face
that every single time you ever saw another serviceman stealing -
perhaps the sargent lying on a requisition to get extra ammo
for his platoon - that you reported it? Or is faking service reports
OK in the military when it's for a "good cause"? Was it OK for
the military to engineer the fake story of Jessica Lynch a few years
back to drum up popular support for the Iraq war?

Obviously, the OP's comment about her tax dollars supporting
the packing materials was nothing more than a justification excuse.
Laughable to me since besides being an excuse, the reality is
that nobody's tax dollars were paying for the boxes, and in fact,
the actual people paying for the boxes are doing so of their own
free will - as they can choose to use a different shipper anytime,
and thus not have to pay for boxes that someone else is using for
storage. Thus, from one point-of-view, a justification excuse isn't
even needed.

In closing I'll leave you to ponder "Let him cast the first stone
who is without sin"

Ted

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Ball -Mason Jar storage boxes - -now OT

"Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> Speaking of ethics - your old enough to have been alive during many
> wars this country has been involved in. Do you think that the
> baldfaced lying that the US Government has done through every
> war it's been involved in, to further it's goals, was ethical? If
> you have ever been in an army, can you say with a straight face
> that every single time you ever saw another serviceman stealing -
> perhaps the sargent lying on a requisition to get extra ammo
> for his platoon - that you reported it? Or is faking service reports
> OK in the military when it's for a "good cause"? Was it OK for
> the military to engineer the fake story of Jessica Lynch a few years
> back to drum up popular support for the Iraq war?

Yes, Ted. I remember WW II. Watched it on Pathe Movietone News every
Wednesday night. I served briefly in the Marine Corps during the Korean
War. I despised the Vietnam War, although I honor all those who've served.
The first Gulf War was well intentioned, but President Bush 41, copped out
without finishing the job. The current war in Iraq, was poorly planned,
well executed, succumbed to Political Correctness and is now getting
squared away. A serviceman stealing for his private use should be reported,
although I never saw it. A sgt or other, getting extra ammo or other needed
supplies for his unit, I would commend.

Don't get me wrong, Ted. I love my country and am prepared to defend it
against all enemies, foreign and domestic, but I despise my self-serving
government!

> Obviously, the OP's comment about her tax dollars supporting
> the packing materials was nothing more than a justification excuse.
> Laughable to me since besides being an excuse, the reality is
> that nobody's tax dollars were paying for the boxes, and in fact,
> the actual people paying for the boxes are doing so of their own
> free will - as they can choose to use a different shipper anytime,
> and thus not have to pay for boxes that someone else is using for
> storage. Thus, from one point-of-view, a justification excuse isn't
> even needed.

I often use UPS and occasionally FedEx. Sometimes for price, sometimes
because of contents.

BTW I have acted improperly in the past and I state my opinions without
casting stones.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
m...

> I get boxes from the Post Office, you can order these from www.usps.com
> ...I get the 12x12x8 inch Priority Mail boxes...no dividers but they are
> very strong. They are totally free, as is the shipping.

I don't see any *free* boxes at that site.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Marie Dodge" > wrote:
> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
> m...
> >
> > I get boxes from the Post Office, you can order these from www.usps.com
> > ...I get the 12x12x8 inch Priority Mail boxes...no dividers but they
> > are very strong. They are totally free, as is the shipping.

> I don't see any *free* boxes at that site.

http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stor...y?langId=-1&st
oreId=10001&catalogId=10152&top=Y&categoryId=11820 &parent_category_rn=&top_
category=

I made a TinyURL, in case that wraps: http://tinyurl.com/rncrn

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Marie Dodge" > wrote:
>> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
>> m...
>> >
>> > I get boxes from the Post Office, you can order these from www.usps.com
>> > ...I get the 12x12x8 inch Priority Mail boxes...no dividers but they
>> > are very strong. They are totally free, as is the shipping.

>> I don't see any *free* boxes at that site.

> http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stor...y?langId=-1&st
> oreId=10001&catalogId=10152&top=Y&categoryId=11820 &parent_category_rn=&top_
> category=
>
> I made a TinyURL, in case that wraps: http://tinyurl.com/rncrn

Got them. Thank you.