Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Default An unusual post

I have a note from Bob Pastorio's widow; she's asked me to "put out the
word" that there are several hundred "fancy bottles" in her garage.
Bob used them for vinegars and oils.

They are available for the taking if you are willing to get to Staunton,
Virginia, where they are located.

Carol is moving and is clearing out stuff.

You can see some sample pictures at http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; if
you're interested contact me by clicking on the envelope at the top left
of the page.

Thanks.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> I have a note from Bob Pastorio's widow; she's asked me to "put out the
> word" that there are several hundred "fancy bottles" in her garage.
> Bob used them for vinegars and oils.
>
> They are available for the taking if you are willing to get to Staunton,
> Virginia, where they are located.
>
> Carol is moving and is clearing out stuff.
>
> You can see some sample pictures at http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; if
> you're interested contact me by clicking on the envelope at the top left
> of the page.

Dang. I'm WAY too far away to think about going over and getting some.
I wish those who can, joy of them.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> I have a note from Bob Pastorio's widow; she's asked me to "put out
> the word" that there are several hundred "fancy bottles" in her
> garage. Bob used them for vinegars and oils.
>
> They are available for the taking if you are willing to get to
> Staunton, Virginia, where they are located.
>
> Carol is moving and is clearing out stuff.
>
> You can see some sample pictures at http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; if
> you're interested contact me by clicking on the envelope at the top
> left of the page.
>
> Thanks.

I WISH! I could get to Virginia! I love the grape cluster bottle. I
suppose with everything else packing them up is something she doesn't
want/need to contend with even if someone were willing to pay shipping. If
she doesn't get any takers here you might suggest Freecycle.
http://www.freecycle.org/

Jill

Jill

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote

>I have a note from Bob Pastorio's widow; she's asked me to "put out the
> word" that there are several hundred "fancy bottles" in her garage.
> Bob used them for vinegars and oils.

I saw. If they are all like that, she's sitting on *quite* a bit of money
so I tried to pass a note back to have a yard sale at the least. At least 2
of those are worth over 5$ each.

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"cshenk" > wrote in message > "Melba's Jammin'" wrote

>>I have a note from Bob Pastorio's widow; she's asked me to "put out the
>> word" that there are several hundred "fancy bottles" in her garage.
>> Bob used them for vinegars and oils.

> I saw. If they are all like that, she's sitting on *quite* a bit of money
> so I tried to pass a note back to have a yard sale at the least. At least
> 2 of those are worth over 5$ each.

I believe that Carol (Bob's widow) already had a yard/garage sale. Guess
they didn't sell. I understand she's moving back to Canada so she may be in
a time bind.

Chris in Pearland, TX

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"cshenk" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" wrote
>
> >I have a note from Bob Pastorio's widow; she's asked me to "put out the
> > word" that there are several hundred "fancy bottles" in her garage.
> > Bob used them for vinegars and oils.

> I saw. If they are all like that, she's sitting on *quite* a bit of money
> so I tried to pass a note back to have a yard sale at the least. At least 2
> of those are worth over 5$ each.

Understood. And she's leaving town (the country, actually) next week
and would like them to be gone. Doesn't appear it will happen. :-0(
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Pray for the abatement of her pain.
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Chris Marksberry" > wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message > "Melba's Jammin'" wrote
> >
> >>I have a note from Bob Pastorio's widow; she's asked me to "put out the
> >> word" that there are several hundred "fancy bottles" in her garage.
> >> Bob used them for vinegars and oils.

> > I saw. If they are all like that, she's sitting on *quite* a bit of money
> > so I tried to pass a note back to have a yard sale at the least. At least
> > 2 of those are worth over 5$ each.
> >

> I believe that Carol (Bob's widow) already had a yard/garage sale. Guess
> they didn't sell. I understand she's moving back to Canada so she may be in
> a time bind.
>
> Chris in Pearland, TX

Exactly so, Chris.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Pray for the abatement of her pain.
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote

> Understood. And she's leaving town (the country, actually) next week
> and would like them to be gone. Doesn't appear it will happen. :-0(

She should call an antique store, something like that, and let them
come take the bottles, maybe they would even pay her something.
She can't just throw them out.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment
Sky Sky is offline

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote
>
> > Understood. And she's leaving town (the country, actually) next week
> > and would like them to be gone. Doesn't appear it will happen. :-0(

> She should call an antique store, something like that, and let them
> come take the bottles, maybe they would even pay her something.
> She can't just throw them out.
>
> nancy

I've no clue as to availability, but Habitat for Humanity has "ReStores"
about the country. HfH "ReStores" are like Goodwill and Salvation Army
thrift stores but for household goods from fixtures, plumbing,
electrical, flooring, carpets, wiring, hardware, furniture, pots, pans,
and anything else inbetween that a person might have at home. Maybe
Carol can donate the property there. Or, donate the items to Goodwill
or Salvation Army instead of the 'heap.' That way, someone benefits
from the proceeds.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote
>
> > Understood. And she's leaving town (the country, actually) next week
> > and would like them to be gone. Doesn't appear it will happen. :-0(

> She should call an antique store, something like that, and let them
> come take the bottles, maybe they would even pay her something.
> She can't just throw them out.
>
> nancy

I'll pass it along. Thanks, Nancy.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Pray for the abatement of her pain.

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote
>
>> Understood. And she's leaving town (the country, actually) next week
>> and would like them to be gone. Doesn't appear it will happen. :-0(

> She should call an antique store, something like that, and let them
> come take the bottles, maybe they would even pay her something.
> She can't just throw them out.
>
> nancy

As I mentioned previously, I'd have her try Freecycle.
http://www.freecycle.org/

Jill

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

jmcquown wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote
>>
>>> Understood. And she's leaving town (the country, actually) next week
>>> and would like them to be gone. Doesn't appear it will happen. :-0(

>> She should call an antique store, something like that, and let them
>> come take the bottles, maybe they would even pay her something.
>> She can't just throw them out.
>>
>> nancy
>>

> As I mentioned previously, I'd have her try Freecycle.
> http://www.freecycle.org/
>
> Jill

IMHO some of the bottles may be antiques but the majority are probably
from places like Pier One, Big Lots, BB&B, and other specialty shops. I
see the like all the time in those places and have bought quite a few to
gift specialty vinegars and pepper sauces to folks. YMMV

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

George Shirley wrote:

> IMHO some of the bottles may be antiques but the majority are probably
> from places like Pier One, Big Lots, BB&B, and other specialty shops. I
> see the like all the time in those places and have bought quite a few to
> gift specialty vinegars and pepper sauces to folks.

There are plenty of web sites that sell <decorative bottles>.
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
> George Shirley wrote:
>>
>> IMHO some of the bottles may be antiques but the majority are probably
>> from places like Pier One, Big Lots, BB&B, and other specialty shops. I
>> see the like all the time in those places and have bought quite a few to
>> gift specialty vinegars and pepper sauces to folks.

> There are plenty of web sites that sell <decorative bottles>.

Why state the obvious? Do you have a point besides the one on top of your
hairless head?

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Sheldon wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>>
>> IMHO some of the bottles may be antiques but the majority are
>> probably from places like Pier One, Big Lots, BB&B, and other
>> specialty shops. I see the like all the time in those places and
>> have bought quite a few to gift specialty vinegars and pepper sauces
>> to folks.

> There are plenty of web sites that sell <decorative bottles>.

Yes, but she's giving them away, free for the taking if you can get to her
place in Virginia before she moves.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Default An unusual post - Follow-up

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> I have a note from Bob Pastorio's widow; she's asked me to "put out the
> word" that there are several hundred "fancy bottles" in her garage.
> Bob used them for vinegars and oils.
>
> They are available for the taking if you are willing to get to Staunton,
> Virginia, where they are located.
>
> Carol is moving and is clearing out stuff.
>
> You can see some sample pictures at http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; if
> you're interested contact me by clicking on the envelope at the top left
> of the page.
>
> Thanks.

Problem has been solved. The vendor will take them back. :-)
Thanks for the interest and suggestions; Carol appreciates all of it.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
She's had good news! Hurrah!
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> > Nancy Young wrote:
> >> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote

> >> She should call an antique store, something like that, and let them
> >> come take the bottles, maybe they would even pay her something.
> >> She can't just throw them out.
> >>
> >> nancy
> >>

> > As I mentioned previously, I'd have her try Freecycle.
> > http://www.freecycle.org/
> >
> > Jill

> IMHO some of the bottles may be antiques but the majority are probably
> from places like Pier One, Big Lots, BB&B, and other specialty shops. I
> see the like all the time in those places and have bought quite a few to
> gift specialty vinegars and pepper sauces to folks. YMMV
>
> George

None are antiques; all were purchased for Bob's business from a company
that sells bottles and jars.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
She's had good news! Hurrah!
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> I have a note from Bob Pastorio's widow; she's asked me to "put out
>> the word" that there are several hundred "fancy bottles" in her
>> garage. Bob used them for vinegars and oils.
>>
>> They are available for the taking if you are willing to get to
>> Staunton, Virginia, where they are located.
>>
>> Carol is moving and is clearing out stuff.
>>
>> You can see some sample pictures at http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; if
>> you're interested contact me by clicking on the envelope at the top
>> left of the page.
>>
>> Thanks.

> Problem has been solved. The vendor will take them back. :-)
> Thanks for the interest and suggestions; Carol appreciates all of it.

What an amazing stroke of luck! That's a good thing. Thanks for the
update, Barb.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote

> Problem has been solved. The vendor will take them back. :-)
> Thanks for the interest and suggestions; Carol appreciates all of it.

Oh, thank you for that. I'm sure she doesn't have time to be
worrying about those bottles, which is why I hoped someone
would just come and take them.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> As I mentioned previously, I'd have her try Freecycle.
>>> http://www.freecycle.org/
>>>
>>> Jill

>> IMHO some of the bottles may be antiques but the majority are probably
>> from places like Pier One, Big Lots, BB&B, and other specialty shops. I
>> see the like all the time in those places and have bought quite a few to
>> gift specialty vinegars and pepper sauces to folks. YMMV
>>
>> George

> None are antiques; all were purchased for Bob's business from a company
> that sells bottles and jars.

I think Bob gave me their URL a long time ago when I was looking for a
pallet load of sauce bottles. I'm certainly glad the vendor took them
back, sometimes specialty bottle vendors are just glad to sell them to
someone.

George

Here's a recent post that I can't send. Trying a new post. Gary General Cooking 7 30-10-2012 04:40 AM
Unusual Tea Symonp05 Tea 2 23-09-2008 02:33 PM
An unusual post Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 20 09-04-2008 10:50 PM
An unusual post Melba's Jammin' Cooking Equipment 19 09-04-2008 10:50 PM
Brix readings on post-crush and post-soak Pinot Noir David Winemaking 3 21-10-2006 08:56 PM