Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Marmalade; why so much water ?

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
. net...

> "Kathi Jones" > wrote in message
>>

> (clipped)
>>
>> ohmygosh! so, not to say 'me too me too' but I do exactly the same as
>> George! The jam filled jars are gonna go in to the canner, so why not
>> take the empty jars out of it? And y'know what I do with the boiling
>> water that has to be poured out of the sterilized jars? I pour it on the
>> lids! Yup! The boiling water from the sterilized jars goes on to the 2
>> piece lids (they are in a pot of their own)- thereby heating them up and
>> softening the compound.
>> Kathi
>>

> I've been drying 'shrooms lately, and storing in mason jars sealed by
> vacuum suck'em'upper dealy. Was difficult to warm lids slightly to get
> nice seal without a drop of water in the atmosphere which the 'shrooms
> will eat up like a treat, then spoil. I figgered out! I lay the clean dry
> lids on the coffeemaker warmer for a few mins. Worked like charm!
> Edrena

VERY clever Edrena!!!

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
. net...
> "Kathi Jones" > wrote in message
> (clipped)>
>> I'm not sure about the baking soda, but I think it has something to do
>> with foaming? Just a guess.
>>
>> Kathi
>>

> One of these days, I'll make the lime marmalade I'm looking for. In the
> meantime, the baking soda is to reduce the pH. Seville oranges are pretty
> sour, no? One website I ran across mentioned that they thought jams,etc.,
> set best at about 3.2pH. Limes are generally about 0, and lemons about
> 1-2.
> That said, very ripe fruits will probably be higher in pH. And of course
> with so many hybrids, there is no real average anymore.
> My 2c worth.
> Edrena

yes, they are VERY sour - too sour to eat out of hand - only good for
marmalade, IMO

I'd like to try a lime marmalade....been enjoying pink grapefruit marmalade
on my morning toasted multigrain bagel the last few days....mmmmm

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kathi Jones wrote:
> "The Joneses" > wrote in message
> . net...
>
>>"Kathi Jones" > wrote in message
>>(clipped)>
>>
>>>I'm not sure about the baking soda, but I think it has something to do
>>>with foaming? Just a guess.
>>>
>>>Kathi
>>>

>>One of these days, I'll make the lime marmalade I'm looking for. In the
>>meantime, the baking soda is to reduce the pH. Seville oranges are pretty
>>sour, no? One website I ran across mentioned that they thought jams,etc.,
>>set best at about 3.2pH. Limes are generally about 0, and lemons about
>>1-2.
>> That said, very ripe fruits will probably be higher in pH. And of course
>>with so many hybrids, there is no real average anymore.
>>My 2c worth.
>>Edrena
>>

> yes, they are VERY sour - too sour to eat out of hand - only good for
> marmalade, IMO
>
> I'd like to try a lime marmalade....been enjoying pink grapefruit marmalade
> on my morning toasted multigrain bagel the last few days....mmmmm
>
> Kathi

The Seville oranges that we get have almost no juice and are quite
bitteer, not sour.
Ellen
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tue 25 Mar 2008 02:44:37p, Kathi Jones told us...

> "The Joneses" > wrote in message
> . net...
>> "Kathi Jones" > wrote in message
>> ... (clipped)>
>>> I'm not sure about the baking soda, but I think it has something to do
>>> with foaming? Just a guess.
>>>
>>> Kathi
>>>

>> One of these days, I'll make the lime marmalade I'm looking for. In the
>> meantime, the baking soda is to reduce the pH. Seville oranges are
>> pretty sour, no? One website I ran across mentioned that they thought
>> jams,etc., set best at about 3.2pH. Limes are generally about 0, and
>> lemons about 1-2.
>> That said, very ripe fruits will probably be higher in pH. And of
>> course
>> with so many hybrids, there is no real average anymore.
>> My 2c worth.
>> Edrena
>>

> yes, they are VERY sour - too sour to eat out of hand - only good for
> marmalade, IMO

You can make a wonderful pie, like a lemon meringue pie, with Seville or
sour oranges.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 03(III)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tue 25 Mar 2008 03:46:27p, ellen wickberg told us...

> Kathi Jones wrote:
>> "The Joneses" > wrote in message
>> . net...
>>
>>>"Kathi Jones" > wrote in message
... (clipped)>

>>>One of these days, I'll make the lime marmalade I'm looking for. In the
>>>meantime, the baking soda is to reduce the pH. Seville oranges are
>>>pretty sour, no? One website I ran across mentioned that they thought
>>>jams,etc., set best at about 3.2pH. Limes are generally about 0, and
>>>lemons about 1-2.
>>> That said, very ripe fruits will probably be higher in pH. And of
>>> course
>>>with so many hybrids, there is no real average anymore.
>>>My 2c worth.
>>>Edrena
>>>

>> yes, they are VERY sour - too sour to eat out of hand - only good for
>> marmalade, IMO
>>
>> I'd like to try a lime marmalade....been enjoying pink grapefruit
>> marmalade on my morning toasted multigrain bagel the last few
>> days....mmmmm
>>
>> Kathi
>>

> The Seville oranges that we get have almost no juice and are quite
> bitteer, not sour.
> Ellen

I think it depends on where they're actually grown.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 03(III)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
8wks 5dys 6hrs 25mins
Hokey religions and ancient weapons
are no march for a good bullwhip by
your side.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"ellen wickberg" > wrote in message
> Kathi Jones wrote:
>> "The Joneses" > wrote in message
>> . net...
>>
>>>"Kathi Jones" > wrote in message
>>>(clipped)>

>>>One of these days, I'll make the lime marmalade I'm looking for. In the
>>>meantime, the baking soda is to reduce the pH. Seville oranges are pretty
>>>sour, no? One website I ran across mentioned that they thought jams,etc.,
>>>set best at about 3.2pH. Limes are generally about 0, and lemons about
>>>1-2.
>>> That said, very ripe fruits will probably be higher in pH. And of course
>>> with so many hybrids, there is no real average anymore.
>>>My 2c worth.
>>>Edrena
>>>

>> yes, they are VERY sour - too sour to eat out of hand - only good for
>> marmalade, IMO
>>
>> I'd like to try a lime marmalade....been enjoying pink grapefruit
>> marmalade on my morning toasted multigrain bagel the last few
>> days....mmmmm
>>
>> Kathi

> The Seville oranges that we get have almost no juice and are quite
> bitteer, not sour.
> Ellen

oh....bitter ... sour.. or both. Yucky. The ones I got last month were
juicy enough to make marmalade.

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
3.184...
> On Tue 25 Mar 2008 02:44:37p, Kathi Jones told us...
>

>> "The Joneses" > wrote in message
>> . net...
>>> "Kathi Jones" > wrote in message
>>> ... (clipped)>

>>> One of these days, I'll make the lime marmalade I'm looking for. In the
>>> meantime, the baking soda is to reduce the pH. Seville oranges are
>>> pretty sour, no? One website I ran across mentioned that they thought
>>> jams,etc., set best at about 3.2pH. Limes are generally about 0, and
>>> lemons about 1-2.
>>> That said, very ripe fruits will probably be higher in pH. And of
>>> course
>>> with so many hybrids, there is no real average anymore.
>>> My 2c worth.
>>> Edrena
>>>

>> yes, they are VERY sour - too sour to eat out of hand - only good for
>> marmalade, IMO

> You can make a wonderful pie, like a lemon meringue pie, with Seville or
> sour oranges.

really? I never would have thought of that. But I suppose if you can do it
with lemons, why not the Sevilles. Then again, I like the taste and flavour
of a lemon, but not really the Seville (until it's marmalade). I might just
try it next time I can get my hands on some. They are seasonal in stores
here - only available in February.

I ate a fresh Cara Cara orange today. Very disappointing - hard to peel and
not juicy at all. But it had potential - flavour is like a cross between
sweet orange and pink grapefruit. Maybe it just wasn't as fresh at I
thought it should be....

Kathi

>> I'd like to try a lime marmalade....been enjoying pink grapefruit
>> marmalade on my morning toasted multigrain bagel the last few
>> days....mmmmm
>>
>> Kathi
>>

> --
> Wayne Boatwright
> Tuesday, 03(III)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
> Countdown till Memorial Day
> 8wks 5dys 6hrs 30mins
> In silence man can most readily
> preserve his integrity. - M. Eckhart

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tue 25 Mar 2008 06:30:47p, Kathi Jones told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...
>> On Tue 25 Mar 2008 02:44:37p, Kathi Jones told us...
>>

>>> "The Joneses" > wrote in message
>>> . net...

>>> yes, they are VERY sour - too sour to eat out of hand - only good for
>>> marmalade, IMO

>> You can make a wonderful pie, like a lemon meringue pie, with Seville
>> or sour oranges.
>>

> really? I never would have thought of that. But I suppose if you can
> do it with lemons, why not the Sevilles. Then again, I like the taste
> and flavour of a lemon, but not really the Seville (until it's
> marmalade). I might just try it next time I can get my hands on some.
> They are seasonal in stores here - only available in February.
>
> I ate a fresh Cara Cara orange today. Very disappointing - hard to peel
> and not juicy at all. But it had potential - flavour is like a cross
> between sweet orange and pink grapefruit. Maybe it just wasn't as fresh
> at I thought it should be....
>
> Kathi

Living in Arizona, we have Seville/sour oranges available year 'round,
usually free for the picking. Some folks leave bags full of them at their
curb for anyone who wants them, as they are grown here primarily as
ornamental trees. I could probably make a living producing marmalade for
the cost of the sugar. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 03(III)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
8wks 5dys 4hrs 50mins
Here's a little tip, leap before you
look!' - The Tick

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Living in Arizona, we have Seville/sour oranges available year
> 'round, usually free for the picking. Some folks leave bags full of
> them at their curb for anyone who wants them, as they are grown here
> primarily as ornamental trees. I could probably make a living
> producing marmalade for the cost of the sugar. :-)

Well, that and the cost of the energy used directly, and/or any gas used
in driving around for the free stuff, the cost of the jars and lids and
labels--and then the marketing costs involved.... and that's without
costing in your labor...

B/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Wed 26 Mar 2008 10:42:19a, Brian Mailman told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Living in Arizona, we have Seville/sour oranges available year
>> 'round, usually free for the picking. Some folks leave bags full of
>> them at their curb for anyone who wants them, as they are grown here
>> primarily as ornamental trees. I could probably make a living
>> producing marmalade for the cost of the sugar. :-)

> Well, that and the cost of the energy used directly, and/or any gas used
> in driving around for the free stuff, the cost of the jars and lids and
> labels--and then the marketing costs involved.... and that's without
> costing in your labor...
>
> B/

Well, yes, there are those other costs, but having the fruit for free would
make a big difference.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 03(III)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
. net...
> "Kathi Jones" > wrote in message
> (clipped)>
>> I'm not sure about the baking soda, but I think it has something to do
>> with foaming? Just a guess.
>>
>> Kathi
>>

> One of these days, I'll make the lime marmalade I'm looking for. In the
> meantime, the baking soda is to reduce the pH.

Oops, blond hair day, then.
Should be: ...baking soda is to *increase* the pH. I always get the words
mixed up. The chemistry part, no, just the words.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article 4>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Tue 25 Mar 2008 02:44:37p, Kathi Jones told us...

> > yes, they are VERY sour - too sour to eat out of hand - only good for
> > marmalade, IMO

> You can make a wonderful pie, like a lemon meringue pie, with Seville or
> sour oranges.

Wayne, is that what the oranges are that are on some many boulevards in
the Phoenix area?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu 03 Apr 2008 03:09:48p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> In article 4>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Tue 25 Mar 2008 02:44:37p, Kathi Jones told us...

>> > yes, they are VERY sour - too sour to eat out of hand - only good for
>> > marmalade, IMO

>> You can make a wonderful pie, like a lemon meringue pie, with Seville or
>> sour oranges.

> Wayne, is that what the oranges are that are on some many boulevards in
> the Phoenix area?

Yes, most of them are, and they're all over the place. Many people pick
their oranges when ripe and put them in bags by the curb, free for the
taking.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 04(IV)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)

Who Was It That Recently Asked About A Hot Water Heater -- I'm In Hot Water! Brooklyn1 General Cooking 85 17-03-2013 05:17 PM
Tap Water VS Bottled Water [email protected] Tea 91 20-08-2008 07:50 PM
marmalade Ron Dorland[_2_] Baking 1 27-01-2008 12:44 PM
Lemon marmalade - why have I got liquid on top of set marmalade? aspley General Cooking 3 26-03-2006 02:24 PM
Bottled water, is it better than tap water? Janet Bostwick General Cooking 52 09-03-2006 05:38 PM