Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Tomatillos

I'm getting more tomatillos from the garden than I can eat, but not
really enough to bother canning. Do y'all think it would work OK to
just wash them and stick them in the freezer whole for use this winter?

The way I usually use them is to cut them up in a small saucepan, salt
them, and add some sliced (fresh or frozen) hot peppers, and black
pepper. Cook over very low heat until they are soft. Chop in a blender,
add some dried onion, garlic powder, and a pinch of oregano. Blend
until almost smooth. Adjust seasoning and add lemon juice if necessary.
Serve (cold) with tortilla chips or spoon over tacos.

I have a more formal recipe somewhere that I use when I can the stuff.

I'm assuming the texture will get ruined in the freezer, but it won't
matter because I'm gonna cook them until soft anyway.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

zxcvbob wrote:

> I'm assuming the texture will get ruined in the freezer, but it won't
> matter because I'm gonna cook them until soft anyway.

Why not take a couple and freeze them and see what they're like when
they thaw? I imagine for the purpose stated, they'd be fine--like a
tomato, pre-mushed to to speak.

B/