Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Pork butts $1.39 per pound

at the local IGA market (small independent supermarket), so I bought
three 4-pounders. They are well-marbled with fat I don't think they are
"enhanced with 12% solution" like most of the pigmeat in town.

I've put them in the deep freezer for a month to kill any trichinae
because I may eat them raw. It's salami making time, and dry salami is
usually eaten uncooked. I know trichinosis from commercial pork is very
rare in the US, but why tempt fate.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> at the local IGA market (small independent supermarket), so I bought
> three 4-pounders. They are well-marbled with fat I don't think they are
> "enhanced with 12% solution" like most of the pigmeat in town.
>
> I've put them in the deep freezer for a month to kill any trichinae
> because I may eat them raw. It's salami making time, and dry salami is
> usually eaten uncooked. I know trichinosis from commercial pork is very
> rare in the US, but why tempt fate.
>
> Bob

We use pork butts here to make bratwurst. My favorite is cabbage
and potato brats.

Jan