FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   The Thirteenth Annual Schaller Ribbon Report (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/132978-thirteenth-annual-schaller-ribbon.html)

Melba's Jammin' 23-08-2007 03:40 PM

The Thirteenth Annual Schaller Ribbon Report

Here are my competition results this year at the Great Minnesota
Get-Together:

Thirteen entries of 20 canning entries placed.

Five BLUE ribbons: Plum Jelly (YEAY!! That juice was four or five
years old!); Blackberry Jam, Watermelon Pickles, Stewed Tomatoes, Tomato
Juice. The tomato entries were blue last year, too. I used that Just
Add Fruit sugar/pectin combination for the blackberry jam. And bought
two cases of the stuff from Cub while it was on sale. It's pretty
darned slick, IMO.

Three RED (second place) ribbons: Crab Apple Jelly (from juice that had
to be five years old at least), Chili Sauce, Cherry Chipotle Relish.
The chili sauce and relish were blue last year.

Two WHITE (third place) ribbons: Peach Jam, Raspberry Jam (I'm thrilled
with that because I've never placed before -- there were 39 entries in
the lot. Sister Julie's raspberries again.).

Two PINK (fourth place) ribbons: Corn Relish, Raspberry Jelly. The
raspberry jelly wasn't as clean as I would have liked, but it tasted
wonderful! And I'm just happy the Corn Relish placed. It wasn't my
best year for that stuff in several ways.

One FIFTH place (no ribbon): Pepper Jelly.

The Beet Pickles got what they deserved: NOTHING! LOL!

I won a First Place Ball Canning Award -- don't know which product yet,
though.

I don't know if I've got enough points to be the Big Bopper Canner again
this year. They'll announce that on Saturday.

AND my White Bread was second!! The White Bread Queen's was third.
Wish I could meet her sometime; I hear she's a lovely woman. Believe
the Strib has a story about her in today's paper. All my other baking
sucked. Too bad, too. I'd've kept the apple pie and eaten it myself if
I'd known that. . . . . <grin> The bread ribbon is "speshul" because
I haven't baked a loaf of white bread since last year's Fair entry. . . .
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Fair baking

Kathi Jones 23-08-2007 04:38 PM

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Here are my competition results this year at the Great Minnesota
> Get-Together:
>
> Thirteen entries of 20 canning entries placed.
>
> Five BLUE ribbons: Plum Jelly (YEAY!! That juice was four or five
> years old!); Blackberry Jam, Watermelon Pickles, Stewed Tomatoes, Tomato
> Juice. The tomato entries were blue last year, too. I used that Just
> Add Fruit sugar/pectin combination for the blackberry jam. And bought
> two cases of the stuff from Cub while it was on sale. It's pretty
> darned slick, IMO.
>
> Three RED (second place) ribbons: Crab Apple Jelly (from juice that had
> to be five years old at least), Chili Sauce, Cherry Chipotle Relish.
> The chili sauce and relish were blue last year.
>
> Two WHITE (third place) ribbons: Peach Jam, Raspberry Jam (I'm thrilled
> with that because I've never placed before -- there were 39 entries in
> the lot. Sister Julie's raspberries again.).
>
> Two PINK (fourth place) ribbons: Corn Relish, Raspberry Jelly. The
> raspberry jelly wasn't as clean as I would have liked, but it tasted
> wonderful! And I'm just happy the Corn Relish placed. It wasn't my
> best year for that stuff in several ways.
>
> One FIFTH place (no ribbon): Pepper Jelly.
>
> The Beet Pickles got what they deserved: NOTHING! LOL!
>
> I won a First Place Ball Canning Award -- don't know which product yet,
> though.
>
> I don't know if I've got enough points to be the Big Bopper Canner again
> this year. They'll announce that on Saturday.
>

> AND my White Bread was second!! The White Bread Queen's was third.
> Wish I could meet her sometime; I hear she's a lovely woman. Believe
> the Strib has a story about her in today's paper. All my other baking
> sucked. Too bad, too. I'd've kept the apple pie and eaten it myself if
> I'd known that. . . . . <grin> The bread ribbon is "speshul" because
> I haven't baked a loaf of white bread since last year's Fair entry. . . .
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Fair baking

way to go Barb, you ribbin 'ho' !! ;-)

Kathi

Melba's Jammin' 23-08-2007 05:07 PM

The Thirteenth Annual Schaller Ribbon Report

In article >,
"Kathi Jones" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > Here are my competition results this year at the Great Minnesota
> > Get-Together:
> >
> > Thirteen entries of 20 canning entries placed.

> way to go Barb, you ribbin 'ho' !! ;-)
>
> Kathi

Heh! The CEO at Gedney thinks State Fair Ribbon Queens sounds nicer and
I told him that Ribbon Slut is just SO much more colorful. :-)

The Joneses[_1_] 23-08-2007 06:43 PM

The Thirteenth Annual Schaller Ribbon Report

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Five BLUE ribbons:
> Three RED (second place) ribbons:
> Two WHITE (third place) ribbons:
> Two PINK (fourth place) ribbons:
> One FIFTH place (no ribbon): Pepper Jelly.
> I won a First Place Ball Canning Award
> The Beet Pickles got what they deserved: NOTHING! LOL!
> AND my White Bread was second!!

You obviously used the wrong wine, the only reason them luscious beets
would have lost. Which beet pickles did win?
And yeehaaa, Barb. That's Texan for "way to win, toots." You ribbon tart,
you.
Edrena,

The Cook 23-08-2007 06:58 PM

The Thirteenth Annual Schaller Ribbon Report

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:40:16 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Here are my competition results this year at the Great Minnesota
>Get-Together:
>
>Thirteen entries of 20 canning entries placed.
>
>Five BLUE ribbons: Plum Jelly (YEAY!! That juice was four or five
>years old!); Blackberry Jam, Watermelon Pickles, Stewed Tomatoes, Tomato
>Juice. The tomato entries were blue last year, too. I used that Just
>Add Fruit sugar/pectin combination for the blackberry jam. And bought
>two cases of the stuff from Cub while it was on sale. It's pretty
>darned slick, IMO.
>
>Three RED (second place) ribbons: Crab Apple Jelly (from juice that had
>to be five years old at least), Chili Sauce, Cherry Chipotle Relish.
>The chili sauce and relish were blue last year.
>
>Two WHITE (third place) ribbons: Peach Jam, Raspberry Jam (I'm thrilled
>with that because I've never placed before -- there were 39 entries in
>the lot. Sister Julie's raspberries again.).
>
>Two PINK (fourth place) ribbons: Corn Relish, Raspberry Jelly. The
>raspberry jelly wasn't as clean as I would have liked, but it tasted
>wonderful! And I'm just happy the Corn Relish placed. It wasn't my
>best year for that stuff in several ways.
>
>One FIFTH place (no ribbon): Pepper Jelly.
>
>The Beet Pickles got what they deserved: NOTHING! LOL!
>
>I won a First Place Ball Canning Award -- don't know which product yet,
>though.
>
>I don't know if I've got enough points to be the Big Bopper Canner again
>this year. They'll announce that on Saturday.
>

>AND my White Bread was second!! The White Bread Queen's was third.
>Wish I could meet her sometime; I hear she's a lovely woman. Believe
>the Strib has a story about her in today's paper. All my other baking
>sucked. Too bad, too. I'd've kept the apple pie and eaten it myself if
>I'd known that. . . . . <grin> The bread ribbon is "speshul" because
>I haven't baked a loaf of white bread since last year's Fair entry. . . .

Way to go!

If I get a half dozen things ready I will be doing good. I have until
Sept. 1 to get the entry to the Dixie Classic Fair and Sept. 10 to the
Surry County Fair. Probably mostly the same items as long as both
have categories for them.

--
Susan N.

clc 23-08-2007 08:32 PM

The Thirteenth Annual Schaller Ribbon Report

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Here are my competition results this year at the Great Minnesota
> Get-Together:
>
> Thirteen entries of 20 canning entries placed.
>
> Five BLUE ribbons: Plum Jelly (YEAY!! That juice was four or five
> years old!); Blackberry Jam, Watermelon Pickles, Stewed Tomatoes, Tomato
> Juice. The tomato entries were blue last year, too. I used that Just
> Add Fruit sugar/pectin combination for the blackberry jam. And bought
> two cases of the stuff from Cub while it was on sale. It's pretty
> darned slick, IMO.
>
> Three RED (second place) ribbons: Crab Apple Jelly (from juice that had
> to be five years old at least), Chili Sauce, Cherry Chipotle Relish.
> The chili sauce and relish were blue last year.
>
> Two WHITE (third place) ribbons: Peach Jam, Raspberry Jam (I'm thrilled
> with that because I've never placed before -- there were 39 entries in
> the lot. Sister Julie's raspberries again.).
>
> Two PINK (fourth place) ribbons: Corn Relish, Raspberry Jelly. The
> raspberry jelly wasn't as clean as I would have liked, but it tasted
> wonderful! And I'm just happy the Corn Relish placed. It wasn't my
> best year for that stuff in several ways.
>
> One FIFTH place (no ribbon): Pepper Jelly.
>
> The Beet Pickles got what they deserved: NOTHING! LOL!
>
> I won a First Place Ball Canning Award -- don't know which product yet,
> though.
>
> I don't know if I've got enough points to be the Big Bopper Canner again
> this year. They'll announce that on Saturday.
>

> AND my White Bread was second!! The White Bread Queen's was third.
> Wish I could meet her sometime; I hear she's a lovely woman. Believe
> the Strib has a story about her in today's paper. All my other baking
> sucked. Too bad, too. I'd've kept the apple pie and eaten it myself if
> I'd known that. . . . . <grin> The bread ribbon is "speshul" because
> I haven't baked a loaf of white bread since last year's Fair entry. . . .
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Fair baking

Congratulations, Barb! I can't believe that the person who first introduced
me to some WONDERFUL pepper jelly only placed 5th in that category.

Cheryl

serene 24-08-2007 02:22 AM

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Here are my competition results this year at the Great Minnesota
> Get-Together:
>
> Thirteen entries of 20 canning entries placed.

Woo-hoo!

Serene

--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

Dash dash space newline
Four-line witty quotation
Perfect message end
-- Donald Welsh in rec.humor.oracle.d

Melba's Jammin' 24-08-2007 02:36 AM

"clc" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > Here are my competition results this year at the Great Minnesota
> > Get-Together:
> >
> > Thirteen entries of 20 canning entries placed.

> > One FIFTH place (no ribbon): Pepper Jelly.

> > --
> > -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> > http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Fair baking

> Congratulations, Barb! I can't believe that the person who first introduced
> me to some WONDERFUL pepper jelly only placed 5th in that category.
>
> Cheryl

:-) Thanks. I'd never made this recipe before. Blake Murphy over at
r.f.cooking posted it a while back and I decided to give it a go:

Pepper Jelly

Recipe By: posted to r.f.preserving by Barb Schaller, 8-23-2007

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
4 cups apple cider (or juice)
1 cup cranberry cocktail (for color)
2 ounces bottled lime juice (2 to 4)
7 cups sugar
1 package powdered fruit pectin
1 ounce Tabasco sauce to taste (1 oz. is hot, 2 oz
is awful hot)

use2-oz lime juice for each oz. of Tabasco

yield: about 9 half pint jars, which would be a lifetime supply except
that just
about everyone will beg a jar to take home.

Use an eight-quart or larger pot, because when jelly boils, it foams
up with a vengeance. Bring the apple cider, cranberry, lime juice and
pectin to a hard boil (can't be stirred down) and add the sugar.
Watch closely and stir often as it works to a second hard boil. Add
the tabasco as the second boil comes on; boil for one minute and
remove from stove.

Put the pot in the sink as you line up jars on the counter, then skim
off the solidified foam that will have formed. Pour the jelly into a
quart pyrex measuring cup and then into the jars, because if you try
to ladle it, or pour it from the pot, you'll make a mess and probably
burn the hell out of yourself. Fill the jars to just below the rim
and put the lids on with kitchen tongs. Add the screw caps and set
aside to jell.

Store in a dark place. Sunlight bleaches the lovely color from
Tabasco, although that doesn't affect the taste. Speaking of which,
while this jelly is delightful from the moment it sets it improves in
flavor for at least a year.
‹‹‹‹‹
Notes: Blake Murphy post to r.f.c. 7-16-2007; from Hank Burchar,
Washington Post.

Fifth place, Minnesota State Fair, 2007.

Melba's Jammin' 24-08-2007 02:37 AM

"The Joneses" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> > The Beet Pickles got what they deserved: NOTHING! LOL!

> You obviously used the wrong wine, the only reason them luscious beets
> would have lost. Which beet pickles did win?
> And yeehaaa, Barb. That's Texan for "way to win, toots." You ribbon tart,
> you.
> Edrena,

Didn't enter your recipe this time, E. Next year I will, though. This
one was out of the BBB, I think. A friend thought these were too
vinegary. What do I know?

Anny Middon 27-08-2007 09:10 PM

The Thirteenth Annual Schaller Ribbon Report

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Here are my competition results this year at the Great Minnesota
> Get-Together:
>
> Thirteen entries of 20 canning entries placed.

Way to go, Barb! A ribbon at the Minnesota fair is equal to at least two
ribbons at many other fairs, since you get so many entries.

Hope weather has been kind to you with last week's storms. Our power went
out on Thursday at 3:30 PM, just about exactly concurrent with the start of
the storm. Came back on at 7:00 this morning. Freezer goods all a loss,
but of course canned goods are just fine.

Anny

The Joneses[_1_] 27-08-2007 11:28 PM

The Thirteenth Annual Schaller Ribbon Report

"Anny Middon" > wrote in message
. net...
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> Here are my competition results this year at the Great Minnesota
>> Get-Together:
>>
>> Thirteen entries of 20 canning entries placed.
>>

> Way to go, Barb! A ribbon at the Minnesota fair is equal to at least two
> ribbons at many other fairs, since you get so many entries.
>
> Hope weather has been kind to you with last week's storms. Our power went
> out on Thursday at 3:30 PM, just about exactly concurrent with the start
> of the storm. Came back on at 7:00 this morning. Freezer goods all a
> loss, but of course canned goods are just fine.
>
> Anny

Yeehaa! Which is Texan for I feel yer pain. At least you will be able to
clean out the freezer before it all smells terrible. Be happy for small
blessings, huh?
Edrena

Melba's Jammin' 28-08-2007 02:19 AM

The Thirteenth Annual Schaller Ribbon Report

In article > ,
"Anny Middon" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > Here are my competition results this year at the Great Minnesota
> > Get-Together:
> >
> > Thirteen entries of 20 canning entries placed.
> >

> Way to go, Barb! A ribbon at the Minnesota fair is equal to at least two
> ribbons at many other fairs, since you get so many entries.
>
> Hope weather has been kind to you with last week's storms. Our power went
> out on Thursday at 3:30 PM, just about exactly concurrent with the start of
> the storm. Came back on at 7:00 this morning. Freezer goods all a loss,
> but of course canned goods are just fine.
>
> Anny

Oh, crud! Sorry about your freezer losses! Some years ago we were out
for 3-4 days, I think but didn't lose anything -- kept the door closed
and shared the neighbor's generator. We've since bought a generator ‹
never used, but it provides a sense of comfort.