Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default gathering apples

Found a new way to gather apples yesterday. My favourite wild apple
tree is on the steep bank of a river. After picking what I could
without falling in I went home and got a small home made boat
( www.ncf.ca/~ag384/JockPunt.htm ) and a garden rake. Paddling in
under the tree I pulled the apples off with the garden rake. Most fell
into the boat. Those which fell into the water were easily retreived
with the rake. At home the biggest apples were sliced and frozen. Some
were boiled and put through a jelly bag. The rest were boiled,
crushed, and put in olive barrels to ferment.

After putting the apples in the car I went for a paddle and fell out
of the boat while leaning out to pick up some abandoned fishing line.
Wildlife can get entangled in fishing line and die. I freed a bird
earlier this year. The water was only three feet deep where I went in.
It was a good way to cool off. I tipped the water out of the boat and
paddled on.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Wm Watt" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Found a new way to gather apples yesterday. My favourite wild apple
> tree is on the steep bank of a river. After picking what I could
> without falling in I went home and got a small home made boat
> ( www.ncf.ca/~ag384/JockPunt.htm ) and a garden rake. Paddling in
> under the tree I pulled the apples off with the garden rake. Most fell
> into the boat. Those which fell into the water were easily retreived
> with the rake. At home the biggest apples were sliced and frozen. Some
> were boiled and put through a jelly bag. The rest were boiled,
> crushed, and put in olive barrels to ferment.
>
> After putting the apples in the car I went for a paddle and fell out
> of the boat while leaning out to pick up some abandoned fishing line.
> Wildlife can get entangled in fishing line and die. I freed a bird
> earlier this year. The water was only three feet deep where I went in.
> It was a good way to cool off. I tipped the water out of the boat and
> paddled on.

Ah, "Adventures in Preserving!" We ought to put a pictorial site together
with you falling in the water and Barb drowning in hot water (snork), Susan
and Ginny and the others up to their ears ribbons. Ahem. I don't drown,
cause I have pickle wings.
Edrena, taking some time off

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Wm Watt wrote:
> Found a new way to gather apples yesterday. My favourite wild apple
> tree is on the steep bank of a river. After picking what I could
> without falling in I went home and got a small home made boat
> ( www.ncf.ca/~ag384/JockPunt.htm ) and a garden rake. Paddling in
> under the tree I pulled the apples off with the garden rake. Most fell
> into the boat. Those which fell into the water were easily retreived
> with the rake. At home the biggest apples were sliced and frozen. Some
> were boiled and put through a jelly bag. The rest were boiled,
> crushed, and put in olive barrels to ferment.
>
> After putting the apples in the car I went for a paddle and fell out
> of the boat while leaning out to pick up some abandoned fishing line.
> Wildlife can get entangled in fishing line and die. I freed a bird
> earlier this year. The water was only three feet deep where I went in.
> It was a good way to cool off. I tipped the water out of the boat and
> paddled on.

Good looking punt William. Back when I was much younger I used to make
my own boats. A ten-foot pirogue was my favorite, painted it gator green
and a friend painted Albert Alligator from the Pogo comics on the bow.
Paddled that thing in a lot of wee creeks and branches in east Texas
fishing, berry and grape picking, and even hunting. I was about 15 years
old at the time.

Built a twelve footer out of marine plywood, would fit in my old
International Pickup truck back in the early sixties. Rigged a side
shaft 3-HP lawmower mower in it with a 3-HP outboard motor lower unit on
the side shaft and a piece of half inch water pipe running through a
gasketted tunnel to a 3-HP outboard prop. Used a tiller to steer it and
had a slingshot stock set up on cable and would lash the stock around my
knee for easy steering. The motor exhaust was guided over the side of
the boat and into the water to make it pretty quiet. Used to flyfish a
lot of east Texas rivers and creeks from it while my very pregnant wife
sat in the bow and sketched wildlife and plants as we caught our supper
for the day. The child she was carrying then is nearly 46 years old now.
Those are some good memories, thanks for stirring them up.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:
> "Wm Watt" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Found a new way to gather apples yesterday. My favourite wild apple
>> tree is on the steep bank of a river. After picking what I could
>> without falling in I went home and got a small home made boat
>> ( www.ncf.ca/~ag384/JockPunt.htm ) and a garden rake. Paddling in
>> under the tree I pulled the apples off with the garden rake. Most fell
>> into the boat. Those which fell into the water were easily retreived
>> with the rake. At home the biggest apples were sliced and frozen. Some
>> were boiled and put through a jelly bag. The rest were boiled,
>> crushed, and put in olive barrels to ferment.
>>
>> After putting the apples in the car I went for a paddle and fell out
>> of the boat while leaning out to pick up some abandoned fishing line.
>> Wildlife can get entangled in fishing line and die. I freed a bird
>> earlier this year. The water was only three feet deep where I went in.
>> It was a good way to cool off. I tipped the water out of the boat and
>> paddled on.
>>

> Ah, "Adventures in Preserving!" We ought to put a pictorial site together
> with you falling in the water and Barb drowning in hot water (snork), Susan
> and Ginny and the others up to their ears ribbons. Ahem. I don't drown,
> cause I have pickle wings.
> Edrena, taking some time off

Ha! Well, I've got three Gedney pickle hats and if you're very, very
good I will let you and old whiskers wear one each while Miz Anne takes
our picture if and when you come by in October.

George, doped up for another !!@#$ ear infection, both ears this time
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Ann Ann is offline

Wm ,
I never heard of a man in a fishing
boat picking apples. Thats really creative harvesting. Down here in TN most
men use their boats for their fishing, except its been so hot her. Today was
102.
Ann

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.. .
> The Joneses wrote:
>> "Wm Watt" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>> Found a new way to gather apples yesterday. My favourite wild apple
>>> tree is on the steep bank of a river. After picking what I could
>>> without falling in I went home and got a small home made boat (clipped)

>> Ah, "Adventures in Preserving!" We ought to put a pictorial site together
>> (clipped) Edrena, taking some time off
>>

> Ha! Well, I've got three Gedney pickle hats and if you're very, very good
> I will let you and old whiskers wear one each while Miz Anne takes our
> picture if and when you come by in October.
> George, doped up for another !!@#$ ear infection, both ears this time

I got one pickle hat, blessings to Ma Sup. Someplace. I got a green dress
too, makes me a pickle fairy or something.
I'll see your ear infections and raise you a dental abscess. Shoot them
pills were big, but I'm all better now.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Aug 21, 4:18 pm, George Shirley > wrote:

> Good looking punt William. Back when I was much younger I used to make
> my own boats. A ten-foot pirogue was my favorite, painted it gator green
> and a friend painted Albert Alligator from the Pogo comics on the bow.
> Paddled that thing in a lot of wee creeks and branches in east Texas
> fishing, berry and grape picking, and even hunting. I was about 15 years
> old at the time.
>
> Built a twelve footer out of marine plywood, would fit in my old
> International Pickup truck back in the early sixties. Rigged a side
> shaft 3-HP lawmower mower in it with a 3-HP outboard motor lower unit on
> the side shaft and a piece of half inch water pipe running through a
> gasketted tunnel to a 3-HP outboard prop. Used a tiller to steer it and
> had a slingshot stock set up on cable and would lash the stock around my
> knee for easy steering. The motor exhaust was guided over the side of
> the boat and into the water to make it pretty quiet. Used to flyfish a
> lot of east Texas rivers and creeks from it while my very pregnant wife
> sat in the bow and sketched wildlife and plants as we caught our supper
> for the day. The child she was carrying then is nearly 46 years old now.
> Those are some good memories, thanks for stirring them up.
>
> George-

They sure sound like my kind of boats. My father was a miner and
prospector and a grandfather did some trapping and guiding so I grew
up paddling. I think up boats that are cheap, simple, and light and
build them.

There's a fellow in Texas runs a popular website for amateur boat
builders
www.duckworksmagazine.com
I've sent him pictures and descriptions of the boats I built which he
published.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Wm Watt wrote:
> On Aug 21, 4:18 pm, George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> Good looking punt William. Back when I was much younger I used to make
>> my own boats. A ten-foot pirogue was my favorite, painted it gator green
>> and a friend painted Albert Alligator from the Pogo comics on the bow.
>> Paddled that thing in a lot of wee creeks and branches in east Texas
>> fishing, berry and grape picking, and even hunting. I was about 15 years
>> old at the time.
>>
>> Built a twelve footer out of marine plywood, would fit in my old
>> International Pickup truck back in the early sixties. Rigged a side
>> shaft 3-HP lawmower mower in it with a 3-HP outboard motor lower unit on
>> the side shaft and a piece of half inch water pipe running through a
>> gasketted tunnel to a 3-HP outboard prop. Used a tiller to steer it and
>> had a slingshot stock set up on cable and would lash the stock around my
>> knee for easy steering. The motor exhaust was guided over the side of
>> the boat and into the water to make it pretty quiet. Used to flyfish a
>> lot of east Texas rivers and creeks from it while my very pregnant wife
>> sat in the bow and sketched wildlife and plants as we caught our supper
>> for the day. The child she was carrying then is nearly 46 years old now.
>> Those are some good memories, thanks for stirring them up.
>>
>> George-

> They sure sound like my kind of boats. My father was a miner and
> prospector and a grandfather did some trapping and guiding so I grew
> up paddling. I think up boats that are cheap, simple, and light and
> build them.

I have also been a prospector, strictly recreational in the past, and
have started trying to do a bit nowadays. Bought a new metal detector a
while back and a couple of the new fangled plastic gold pans. Been so
long since I panned that I ordered some gold-bearing gravel/sand out of
Alaska to practice with.

> There's a fellow in Texas runs a popular website for amateur boat
> builders
> www.duckworksmagazine.com
> I've sent him pictures and descriptions of the boats I built which he
> published.

Making your own boats was quite the thing to do in the fifties and
sixties. I made a living repairing boats for a bit after we were first
married and until I got a better paying job. My favorite job was the 20
years I was a part-time gunsmith and ran a full service gun shop. Too
much regulation nowadays to go back into that as a retirement thing. Now
I just go shoot a few targets every month. When we were young we raised
our kids on wild game, fish, and wild berries, etc that we picked around
the woods where we lived. My kids still love that sort of thing but what
was wild 35 years ago is now a subdivision. I could use a couple of
5-gallon buckets of wild dewberries out of some field in the countryside
but everything is posted no trespassing now too.

George

Fla/Ga Gathering 5-19-06 Big Jim Barbecue 0 20-05-2006 12:28 AM
Fla/Ga gathering Big Jim Barbecue 15 20-05-2006 12:05 AM
Apples, apples, oh and apples.....and pears Nexis General Cooking 15 23-09-2004 05:00 PM