Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default What is pectin made of?

I did a batch of blackberry jam with pectin and one without. I found that
using pectin I had a higher yield of jam and the consistency was nice and
smooth. Without the pectin it was tarry but less sugar of course.

I used a liquid pectin that I bought last year. But where does the store
bought pectin come from?

Kathleen

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kathleen Turner wrote:
> I did a batch of blackberry jam with pectin and one without. I found that
> using pectin I had a higher yield of jam and the consistency was nice and
> smooth. Without the pectin it was tarry but less sugar of course.
>
> I used a liquid pectin that I bought last year. But where does the store
> bought pectin come from?
>
> Kathleen

commercial pectin ( the regular ones, dry and liquid) are made either
from apples or the white part of citrus fruits. I have no idea what the
low methoxy pectins ( no sugar needed or Pomonas) are made from.
Ellen
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article <1_vwi.4407$jU4.1346@trnddc02>,
"Kathleen Turner" > wrote:

> I did a batch of blackberry jam with pectin and one without. I found that
> using pectin I had a higher yield of jam and the consistency was nice and
> smooth. Without the pectin it was tarry but less sugar of course.
>
> I used a liquid pectin that I bought last year. But where does the store
> bought pectin come from?
>
> Kathleen

Citrus or apples, typically.
It's a carbohydrate.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Thanks...I always thought that pectin was a chemical or something and
steered away from using it in the past. I used it for the first time and
was amazed with the results, as well as the less cooking time involved.

You guys are great!

"Kathleen Turner" > wrote in message
> I did a batch of blackberry jam with pectin and one without. I found that
> using pectin I had a higher yield of jam and the consistency was nice and
> smooth. Without the pectin it was tarry but less sugar of course.
>
> I used a liquid pectin that I bought last year. But where does the store
> bought pectin come from?
>
> Kathleen

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article <AaQwi.4809$%55.944@trnddc04>,
"Kathleen Turner" > wrote:

> "Kathleen Turner" > wrote in message
> > I did a batch of blackberry jam with pectin and one without. I found that
> > using pectin I had a higher yield of jam and the consistency was nice and
> > smooth. Without the pectin it was tarry but less sugar of course.
> >
> > I used a liquid pectin that I bought last year. But where does the store
> > bought pectin come from?
> >
> > Kathleen

> Thanks...I always thought that pectin was a chemical or something and
> steered away from using it in the past. I used it for the first time and
> was amazed with the results, as well as the less cooking time involved.
>
> You guys are great!

We try. LOL. You're welcome, Kathleen. Before the advent of
commercially available pectin, our ancestors had another choice for
making nice fruit spreads with fruits low in natural pectin ‹ you can
make your own pectin from sour apples. Another option was to combine
apples with fruit to make something that jels and isn't just sticky.

I've become fond of this search engine:
http://recipesearch.googlepages.com
With the quotation marks in place, I typed "apple pectin" and got 10
hits -- there are several recipes for making your own.

I'm not interested in making my own, haven't tried it, and am quite
content to use commercially available products. Pectin powder is
available in bulk in several varieties, too -- powder, powder that's
mixed with water to make liquid pectin (like Certo or Ball liquids).
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007

Pacific Pectin George Shirley[_2_] Preserving 8 13-08-2010 06:18 PM
Pectin TBI Preserving 27 10-05-2008 10:08 AM
US-made pizza recalled due to E. coli; maybe China should boycott all US-made pizzas [email protected] General Cooking 29 08-11-2007 11:58 PM
Does pectin go bad? Will Wagner Preserving 3 15-12-2005 09:49 PM
New pectin Puester Preserving 1 26-06-2005 09:36 PM