Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Leaky pie filling jars

Hi,

I have been canning apple pie filling for a few years w/good luck. I
can pints because I've only invested in pint and half pint jars. This
year, I noticed some liquid seepage when the apple filling cooled. I
left at least 1/2" head space--no fuller than to the bottom of the lid
collar.

I find this recipe gives me more juice/goo than I need for the
required amt. of apples. (I always wind up buying more apples and
canning more pints.) This year, I took half the juice/goo and set it
aside and used it to put up 7 pints of peaches. The peach pints
*really* oozed and the juice was fairly watery. Acknowledged: apples
have more pectin than peaches and peaches are wetter fruit than
peaches.

I'm going to try a canned peach filling recipe I found in a search of
this group. I have a 1 gal. Ziploc of prepped peaches in the fridge
and more in the fruit bowl.

A friend/fellow canner said she'd have left more head space in the
pints. Is there an ideal liquid to solids ratio???

Also, what storage recommendations should I pass on to family who will
get the apple and peach pie filling??

My apple pie filling recipe follows for reference.

Thanks!
Beth

Apple Pie Filling

(makes 6 or 7 quarts)
Ingredients

4 1/2 cups sugar
14 tablespoons Clear Jel
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
10 cups water
3 tablespoons lemon juice
8 to 9 pounds of tart apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (about 16 cups
of sliced apples)

In a large saucepan blend the first five dry ingredients. Stir in 10
cups water, cook on medium-high heat; stir until thickened and bubbly;
cook an additional 2 minutes.

Add lemon juice, and if desired, food coloring. Add the apples to the
sauce. Stir constantly and bring mixture up to a rolling boil; cook 1
minute.

Promptly ladle mixture into jars, leaving 1/2 inch headroom. Adjust
lids and boiling water bath for 25 minutes. 1 quart of pie filling
yields one 9 inch pie.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Aug 5, 11:58 pm, " > wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been canning apple pie filling for a few years w/good luck. I
> can pints because I've only invested in pint and half pint jars. This
> year, I noticed some liquid seepage when the apple filling cooled. I
> left at least 1/2" head space--no fuller than to the bottom of the lid
> collar.
>
> I find this recipe gives me more juice/goo than I need for the
> required amt. of apples. (I always wind up buying more apples and
> canning more pints.) This year, I took half the juice/goo and set it
> aside and used it to put up 7 pints of peaches. The peach pints
> *really* oozed and the juice was fairly watery. Acknowledged: apples
> have more pectin than peaches and peaches are wetter fruit than
> peaches.
>
> I'm going to try a canned peach filling recipe I found in a search of
> this group. I have a 1 gal. Ziploc of prepped peaches in the fridge
> and more in the fruit bowl.
>
> A friend/fellow canner said she'd have left more head space in the
> pints. Is there an ideal liquid to solids ratio???
>
> Also, what storage recommendations should I pass on to family who will
> get the apple and peach pie filling??
>
> My apple pie filling recipe follows for reference.
>
> Thanks!
> Beth
>
> Apple Pie Filling
>
> (makes 6 or 7 quarts)
> Ingredients
>
> 4 1/2 cups sugar
> 14 tablespoons Clear Jel
> 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
> 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
> 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
> 10 cups water
> 3 tablespoons lemon juice
> 8 to 9 pounds of tart apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (about 16 cups
> of sliced apples)
>
> In a large saucepan blend the first five dry ingredients. Stir in 10
> cups water, cook on medium-high heat; stir until thickened and bubbly;
> cook an additional 2 minutes.
>
> Add lemon juice, and if desired, food coloring. Add the apples to the
> sauce. Stir constantly and bring mixture up to a rolling boil; cook 1
> minute.
>
> Promptly ladle mixture into jars, leaving 1/2 inch headroom. Adjust
> lids and boiling water bath for 25 minutes. 1 quart of pie filling
> yields one 9 inch pie.

You know the ooze problem happens to me all the time. I was a little
leary of it for the first few years, now not so. After 24 hours make
sure you remove the rings. Wash the jars well. Then! Here's the
trick, pick the jar up carefully by just the edge of the lid. Really
do it! If the lid stays, and with one hand underneath for safety
reasons can shake it around and the lid holds your safe. It means the
lids sealed.

I did have a few that managed to get a blueberry lodged between the
jar and lid so ate those right away and held on to one for a year just
to see. WOW! It stayed sealed and had no problems. That really
amazed me. Also DO NOT! replace the rings on the jars store without
rings so if a jar does go bad you will know from the lid coming loose.

Vicky

Posted to rec.food.preserving

My recipe is very similar as I recall, but I know it calls for a 1"
headspace.

Several years ago, someone here (Ma Pickle, perhaps?) suggested leaving 1.5"
headspace in cherry pie filling. I followed her suggestion and ended up
with full jars that didn't ooze.

As long as the lids are sealed, not just 'glued' on, the food should be
safe. If you wash the jars well and can still pick up the jar by only
holding the lid, it is a pretty good sign.

Tell family and friends that ideal storage is 55* and dark. But they'll
want to use right away so they can get the jars back to you for refill. ;>

Deb
--
In Oregon, the pacific northWET. NWF habitat #32964

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have been canning apple pie filling for a few years w/good luck. I
> can pints because I've only invested in pint and half pint jars. This
> year, I noticed some liquid seepage when the apple filling cooled. I
> left at least 1/2" head space--no fuller than to the bottom of the lid
> collar.
>
> I find this recipe gives me more juice/goo than I need for the
> required amt. of apples. (I always wind up buying more apples and
> canning more pints.) This year, I took half the juice/goo and set it
> aside and used it to put up 7 pints of peaches. The peach pints
> *really* oozed and the juice was fairly watery. Acknowledged: apples
> have more pectin than peaches and peaches are wetter fruit than
> peaches.
>
> I'm going to try a canned peach filling recipe I found in a search of
> this group. I have a 1 gal. Ziploc of prepped peaches in the fridge
> and more in the fruit bowl.
>
> A friend/fellow canner said she'd have left more head space in the
> pints. Is there an ideal liquid to solids ratio???
>
> Also, what storage recommendations should I pass on to family who will
> get the apple and peach pie filling??
>
> My apple pie filling recipe follows for reference.
>
> Thanks!
> Beth
>

> Apple Pie Filling
>
> (makes 6 or 7 quarts)
> Ingredients
>
> 4 1/2 cups sugar
> 14 tablespoons Clear Jel
> 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
> 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
> 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
> 10 cups water
> 3 tablespoons lemon juice
> 8 to 9 pounds of tart apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (about 16 cups
> of sliced apples)
>
> In a large saucepan blend the first five dry ingredients. Stir in 10
> cups water, cook on medium-high heat; stir until thickened and bubbly;
> cook an additional 2 minutes.
>
> Add lemon juice, and if desired, food coloring. Add the apples to the
> sauce. Stir constantly and bring mixture up to a rolling boil; cook 1
> minute.
>
> Promptly ladle mixture into jars, leaving 1/2 inch headroom. Adjust
> lids and boiling water bath for 25 minutes. 1 quart of pie filling
> yields one 9 inch pie.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Ann Ann is offline

The cleargel recipe that I saw somewhere said you need to blanch the apple
scices for about 5 mi8nutes. That way the apple cells will absorb juice and
tend to not make the pie filling ooze out of the jars.
Ann

Pie Filling Marilyn[_2_] Preserving 7 07-10-2008 03:52 PM
jar filling dave Preserving 1 09-08-2008 02:46 PM
Ho Ho Filling [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 14-02-2007 02:58 PM
Vintage port - leaky bottle : ( [email protected] Wine 4 03-10-2006 02:35 AM
query for the leaky Canadian homo Rudy Canoza Vegan 1851 22-01-2005 09:48 PM