Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Fair application came in the mail yesterday.

The Great Allentown Fair sent out their premium book along with what
catagories they will be judging this year........only 24 hours in the house
and already wore it out.......

Think I might try one or two of the cooking contests this year..... has
anyone done that before? I know most of you can/jell/jam/put up your fair
entries, but has anyone participated in something that is judged within the
hour of drop off such as chili or bake-off?
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
> The Great Allentown Fair sent out their premium book along with what
> catagories they will be judging this year........only 24 hours in the
> house and already wore it out.......
>
> Think I might try one or two of the cooking contests this year..... has
> anyone done that before? I know most of you can/jell/jam/put up your fair
> entries, but has anyone participated in something that is judged within
> the hour of drop off such as chili or bake-off?
> -ginny

I know last year the Baker at the farmers' market wrapped her offerings in
saran wrap. It looked yucky. Even after the goods are cooled, I think they
get warm and condensation makes them sweat. Just something to think about as
you wrap.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> The Great Allentown Fair sent out their premium book along with what
> catagories they will be judging this year........only 24 hours in the house
> and already wore it out.......
>
> Think I might try one or two of the cooking contests this year..... has
> anyone done that before? I know most of you can/jell/jam/put up your fair
> entries, but has anyone participated in something that is judged within the
> hour of drop off such as chili or bake-off?
> -ginny

Not at a fair but I've competed in several chili cook-offs over the
years. Made second place one time and was very happy to get that. Not
much more difficult than entering something in a canning contest except
you will be time limited.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> Not at a fair but I've competed in several chili cook-offs over the
> years. Made second place one time and was very happy to get that. Not
> much more difficult than entering something in a canning contest except
> you will be time limited.

I've always wondered about chili competitions, George.

Does overall flavor count more, or mainly the heat level?
Too many people, in my opinion, try for knock-your-socks-off heat when
they make chili and that's all you can taste.

Beans or no beans?

Ground beef or chunks?

Inquiring minds want to know....

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Puester > wrote:

> George Shirley wrote:
> >
> > Not at a fair but I've competed in several chili cook-offs over the

> I've always wondered about chili competitions, George.

> Beans or no beans?

> gloria p

Now you've done it!

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Puester wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>

>> Not at a fair but I've competed in several chili cook-offs over the
>> years. Made second place one time and was very happy to get that. Not
>> much more difficult than entering something in a canning contest
>> except you will be time limited.
>>

> I've always wondered about chili competitions, George.
>
> Does overall flavor count more, or mainly the heat level?
> Too many people, in my opinion, try for knock-your-socks-off heat when
> they make chili and that's all you can taste.

That seems to be more common than it was back in the sixties and
seventies, when taste counted.

> Beans or no beans?

Put beans in chili and you just made soup. <G> Most chili cookoffs today
have a category for each. I NEVER put beans in my chili, I cook a pot of
pinto beans on the side, preferably pink pintos when I can find them,
and the heathrens can add beans in their bowl.

> Ground beef or chunks?

I've used both, depends on the rules of the cookoff. Not chunks really
but shredded beef. Normally, around the house I just use ground chuck.
If'n I'm showing off I might shred some beef chuck.

> Inquiring minds want to know....
>
> gloria p

Now you know. always get the rules in hand before you sign up for a cook
off. I was in one where they let people put POTATOES in their chili.
THAT definitely ain't chili. In another I didn't even place because the
judges didn't think it was "hot" enough but the spectators ate up all my
chili first. Go figure.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> Puester > wrote:
>

>>George Shirley wrote:
>>
>>>Not at a fair but I've competed in several chili cook-offs over the

>>I've always wondered about chili competitions, George.

>>Beans or no beans?

>>gloria p

> Now you've done it!

No one asked for comments from the peanut gallery. <VBG>

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Puester > wrote:
>
>> George Shirley wrote:
>>> Not at a fair but I've competed in several chili cook-offs over the

>> I've always wondered about chili competitions, George.

>> Beans or no beans?

>> gloria p

> Now you've done it!

Yeah, but it's so much fun!

;-)
gloria p
AKA rabble rouser
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Puester" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Puester > wrote:

>>> I've always wondered about chili competitions, George.

>>> Beans or no beans?

>>> gloria p

>> Now you've done it!
>>

> Yeah, but it's so much fun!
>
> ;-)
> gloria p
> AKA rabble rouser

Getta rope...
Edrena in Texas

Seriously, wonder what chile made with rough ground peanuts would taste
like? I made a fabulous smooth peanut soup with chicken broth once. Dunno if
I'll ever find the recipe again. Was weird but tasty. I liked it. It also
had chiles of some kind sprinkled on top. Hot paprika I think.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:
> "Puester" > wrote in message
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> Now you've done it!
>>>

>> Yeah, but it's so much fun!
>>
>> ;-)
>> gloria p
>> AKA rabble rouser

> Getta rope...
> Edrena in Texas
>
> Seriously, wonder what chile made with rough ground peanuts would taste
> like? I made a fabulous smooth peanut soup with chicken broth once. Dunno if
> I'll ever find the recipe again. Was weird but tasty. I liked it. It also
> had chiles of some kind sprinkled on top. Hot paprika I think.
> Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:

> Seriously, wonder what chile made with rough ground peanuts would taste
> like? I made a fabulous smooth peanut soup with chicken broth once. Dunno if
> I'll ever find the recipe again. Was weird but tasty. I liked it. It also
> had chiles of some kind sprinkled on top. Hot paprika I think.

It's a West African thingum, I think Senegal. Yeah it is, as I think
about it, since I knew a woman who had lived there and told me the name
that I've forgotten. They use it as a braising/stewing sauce. It's got
peanuts, curry, chiles (called piri-piri, the Brazilian hot oil is
derived from the name, they're like the bird peppers that go inta
Tabasco), palm sugar.