FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   Food mill -- need recommendations (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/124293-food-mill-need-recommendations.html)

Anny Middon 22-05-2007 08:36 PM

Food mill -- need recommendations

I'd like to buy a food mill. Well, I think that's what I want to buy. I
have a food processor and a tomato press already -- what I really want is
something that will get the seeds out of raspberries so I can make seedless
jam. And seedless coulis. Seedless raspberry whatever. Ideally I could
use it to make seedless strawberry whatever, too.

Is a food mill what I want? If so, what brand should I buy? There's a big
range in prices -- I've seen them as cheap as $15-20, and as expesnive as
$60-70. I want a good one, but I don't want to get spend more than I have
to.

Thanks!

Anny

Shawn Martin[_4_] 23-05-2007 12:01 AM

Food mill -- need recommendations

"Anny Middon" > wrote in message
t...
> I'd like to buy a food mill. Well, I think that's what I want to buy. I
> have a food processor and a tomato press already -- what I really want is
> something that will get the seeds out of raspberries so I can make
> seedless jam. And seedless coulis. Seedless raspberry whatever. Ideally
> I could use it to make seedless strawberry whatever, too.
>
> Is a food mill what I want? If so, what brand should I buy? There's a
> big range in prices -- I've seen them as cheap as $15-20, and as expesnive
> as $60-70. I want a good one, but I don't want to get spend more than I
> have to.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Anny

I have used a range of products from cheap to the $200$ range. All worked
well enough.
Just make sure yours can be had with a berry screen. (It has smaller
holes)

I currently use a GardenWay, which can be had on ebay sometimes in the $100
range.
(It doesn't work any better that my old $35.00 Victorio, but is all metal,
and just has lasted longer.)

see these:
http://www.everythingkitchens.com/ba...dstrainer.html

I have used this model, and these people before with satisfactory results

scroll down to see the berry screens.

Melba's Jammin' 23-05-2007 02:33 AM

Food mill -- need recommendations

In article > ,
"Anny Middon" > wrote:

> I'd like to buy a food mill. Well, I think that's what I want to buy. I
> have a food processor and a tomato press already -- what I really want is
> something that will get the seeds out of raspberries so I can make seedless
> jam. And seedless coulis. Seedless raspberry whatever. Ideally I could
> use it to make seedless strawberry whatever, too.
>
> Is a food mill what I want? If so, what brand should I buy? There's a big
> range in prices -- I've seen them as cheap as $15-20, and as expesnive as
> $60-70. I want a good one, but I don't want to get spend more than I have
> to.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Anny

Anny, I think you can get your raspberry pretty seedless with a "berry
screen" for the tomato press -- if your tomato press is like mine -- a
hopper feeder. Small holes. Or else a fine/small-holed chinoise. I
don't think a "regular" (whatever that is) food mill will do it. You'll
want pretty small holes.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

jamlady.eboard.com
http:/http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor/

ellen wickberg 23-05-2007 05:34 AM

Anny Middon wrote:
> I'd like to buy a food mill. Well, I think that's what I want to buy. I
> have a food processor and a tomato press already -- what I really want is
> something that will get the seeds out of raspberries so I can make seedless
> jam. And seedless coulis. Seedless raspberry whatever. Ideally I could
> use it to make seedless strawberry whatever, too.
>
> Is a food mill what I want? If so, what brand should I buy? There's a big
> range in prices -- I've seen them as cheap as $15-20, and as expesnive as
> $60-70. I want a good one, but I don't want to get spend more than I have
> to.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Anny

Probably a food mill will not take the seeds out of raspberries, but a
plain old fine strainer ( of the plastic variety) and a round bottomed
anything ( ladle, sockdarner, etc)to rub it through will work.. That
said, a food mill will do many other things ( make smooth apple sauce
without peeling the apples, etc.) Any one will work, though the large
italian tin ones are terrible to take apart and put back together
whereas the cheap plastic ones ( with metal plates and stirrer) are easy
to use. In the U.S. ( but not my part of Canada) , the one piece food
mill with removeable handle-bottom scraper is still available I think.
Ellen

Melba's Jammin' 23-05-2007 01:56 PM

Food mill -- need recommendations

In article <0vP4i.207480$DE1.25485@pd7urf2no>,
ellen wickberg > wrote:

> to use. In the U.S. ( but not my part of Canada) , the one piece food
> mill with removeable handle-bottom scraper is still available I think.
> Ellen

Sounds like my Foley food mill.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog - Orange Honey

Anny Middon 23-05-2007 03:05 PM

"Shawn Martin" > wrote in message

> I have used a range of products from cheap to the $200$ range. All worked
> well enough.
> Just make sure yours can be had with a berry screen. (It has smaller
> holes)
>
> I currently use a GardenWay, which can be had on ebay sometimes in the
> $100 range.
> (It doesn't work any better that my old $35.00 Victorio, but is all
> metal, and just has lasted longer.)
>
> see these:
> http://www.everythingkitchens.com/ba...dstrainer.html
>
> I have used this model, and these people before with satisfactory results
>
> scroll down to see the berry screens.

Thanks, Shawn. Either the Back to Basics or the GardenWay look pretty much
like what I want.

Anny

Anny Middon 23-05-2007 03:13 PM

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> Anny, I think you can get your raspberry pretty seedless with a "berry
> screen" for the tomato press -- if your tomato press is like mine -- a
> hopper feeder. Small holes. Or else a fine/small-holed chinoise. I
> don't think a "regular" (whatever that is) food mill will do it. You'll
> want pretty small holes.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

I don't think I can get any other screens for my tomato press -- I have a
fairly inexpensive one I got on Ebay a few years ago, and the screen is not
removeable. I know the holes in the screen are too large to filter out
raspberry seeds.

The chinoise is a good idea, but it's too labor-intensive. I liked the idea
of an attachment for my KitchenAid that could do the job for me so I could
avoid almost all the work, but the one they make apparently won't handle
raspberry seeds.

BTW -- if I process the raspberries to make them seedless, will the spread
made from the seedless puree still be technically called a jam?

Anny

ellen wickberg 23-05-2007 03:53 PM

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <0vP4i.207480$DE1.25485@pd7urf2no>,
> ellen wickberg > wrote:
>

>>to use. In the U.S. ( but not my part of Canada) , the one piece food
>>mill with removeable handle-bottom scraper is still available I think.
>>Ellen

> Sounds like my Foley food mill.

yup
Ellen

ellen wickberg 23-05-2007 03:56 PM

Anny Middon wrote:
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>

>>Anny, I think you can get your raspberry pretty seedless with a "berry
>>screen" for the tomato press -- if your tomato press is like mine -- a
>>hopper feeder. Small holes. Or else a fine/small-holed chinoise. I
>>don't think a "regular" (whatever that is) food mill will do it. You'll
>>want pretty small holes.
>>--
>>-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

> I don't think I can get any other screens for my tomato press -- I have a
> fairly inexpensive one I got on Ebay a few years ago, and the screen is not
> removeable. I know the holes in the screen are too large to filter out
> raspberry seeds.
>
> The chinoise is a good idea, but it's too labor-intensive. I liked the idea
> of an attachment for my KitchenAid that could do the job for me so I could
> avoid almost all the work, but the one they make apparently won't handle
> raspberry seeds.
>
> BTW -- if I process the raspberries to make them seedless, will the spread
> made from the seedless puree still be technically called a jam?
>
> Anny

Sure, I for instance hardly ever put the pits in my peach or apriot jam.
Ellen

The Cook 23-05-2007 03:58 PM

Food mill -- need recommendations

On Tue, 22 May 2007 14:36:17 -0500, "Anny Middon"
> wrote:

>I'd like to buy a food mill. Well, I think that's what I want to buy. I
>have a food processor and a tomato press already -- what I really want is
>something that will get the seeds out of raspberries so I can make seedless
>jam. And seedless coulis. Seedless raspberry whatever. Ideally I could
>use it to make seedless strawberry whatever, too.
>
>Is a food mill what I want? If so, what brand should I buy? There's a big
>range in prices -- I've seen them as cheap as $15-20, and as expesnive as
>$60-70. I want a good one, but I don't want to get spend more than I have
>to.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Anny

A Squeezo strainer works very well with the the berry screen. You
have to buy the additional screens tho. Not cheap.
http://www.homesteadhelpers.com/get_...zo_squeezo.htm

Amazon has several food mills. I bought the MIU brand. It comes with
3 screens and works fine. I have not tried it with berries yet.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...6&Go.y=6&Go=Go
--
Susan N.

Anny Middon 23-05-2007 05:57 PM

"ellen wickberg" > wrote in message
> Anny Middon wrote:
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>>

>>>Anny, I think you can get your raspberry pretty seedless with a "berry
>>>screen" for the tomato press -- if your tomato press is like mine -- a
>>>hopper feeder. Small holes. Or else a fine/small-holed chinoise. I
>>>don't think a "regular" (whatever that is) food mill will do it. You'll
>>>want pretty small holes.
>>>--
>>>-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

>> I don't think I can get any other screens for my tomato press -- I have a
>> fairly inexpensive one I got on Ebay a few years ago, and the screen is
>> not removeable. I know the holes in the screen are too large to filter
>> out raspberry seeds.
>>
>> The chinoise is a good idea, but it's too labor-intensive. I liked the
>> idea of an attachment for my KitchenAid that could do the job for me so I
>> could avoid almost all the work, but the one they make apparently won't
>> handle raspberry seeds.
>>
>> BTW -- if I process the raspberries to make them seedless, will the
>> spread made from the seedless puree still be technically called a jam?
>>
>> Anny
>>

> Sure, I for instance hardly ever put the pits in my peach or apriot jam.
> Ellen

Yabbut I'll bet you don't puree the peaches or apricots first.

I thought that jam by definition had small chunks of fruit in it. Jam made
from deseeded raspberries won't have any chunks, will it? So -- is it still
a jam?

Anny

Anny Middon 23-05-2007 06:14 PM

"The Cook" > wrote in message

> A Squeezo strainer works very well with the the berry screen. You
> have to buy the additional screens tho. Not cheap.
> http://www.homesteadhelpers.com/get_...zo_squeezo.htm
>
> Amazon has several food mills. I bought the MIU brand. It comes with
> 3 screens and works fine. I have not tried it with berries yet.
> http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...6&Go.y=6&Go=Go
> --
> Susan N.

The MIU looks good, except I sure wish one of the reviews said something
about removing berry seeds.

I'm thinking about presenting the options to my DH. When I was shopping for
a stand mixer, I told him there was a model on sale for under $250 with a
325 watt motor. I thought it would do the job. There were other modles,
including one with a 575 watt motor that was on sale for $400+. He looked
at me like I was nuts and said, "You should always buy the one with the
biggest motor."

I haven't yet had occasion to make 8 loaves of bread at once, but I like
that I can should I want to.

Anny

George Shirley 23-05-2007 06:56 PM

Anny Middon wrote:
> "ellen wickberg" > wrote in message
>
>>Anny Middon wrote:

>>>I don't think I can get any other screens for my tomato press -- I have a
>>>fairly inexpensive one I got on Ebay a few years ago, and the screen is
>>>not removeable. I know the holes in the screen are too large to filter
>>>out raspberry seeds.
>>>
>>>The chinoise is a good idea, but it's too labor-intensive. I liked the
>>>idea of an attachment for my KitchenAid that could do the job for me so I
>>>could avoid almost all the work, but the one they make apparently won't
>>>handle raspberry seeds.
>>>
>>>BTW -- if I process the raspberries to make them seedless, will the
>>>spread made from the seedless puree still be technically called a jam?
>>>
>>>Anny
>>>

>>Sure, I for instance hardly ever put the pits in my peach or apriot jam.
>>Ellen

> Yabbut I'll bet you don't puree the peaches or apricots first.
>
> I thought that jam by definition had small chunks of fruit in it. Jam made
> from deseeded raspberries won't have any chunks, will it? So -- is it still
> a jam?
>
> Anny

Barb says she wouldn't call it jam because of its consistency and its
not jelly because it's not clear. It falls into that nebulous category
called fruit spreads.

George, voice for Barb

The Joneses[_1_] 23-05-2007 07:42 PM

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article <0vP4i.207480$DE1.25485@pd7urf2no>,
>> ellen wickberg > wrote:
>>

>>>to use. In the U.S. ( but not my part of Canada) , the one piece food
>>>mill with removeable handle-bottom scraper is still available I think.
>>>Ellen

>> Sounds like my Foley food mill.
>>

> yup
> Ellen

I kinda hate my Foley. It's not a huge one (about the size of my head?) but
it doesn't do too much at one time without needing cleaning out. And the
durned whirlygig thing keeps coming uncanoodled if it's too full. Maybe I'll
spring for a fancy tomato thingy with extra screens this year.
I just hated to throw away those blackberry seeds though. It looked like I
might have been able to make jelly if I'd been thinking...
BTW - I mill only half the blackberries and call it Mostly Seedless Jam.
Works for me.
Edrena

Kathi Jones 23-05-2007 09:53 PM

Food mill -- need recommendations

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
t...
> "ellen wickberg" > wrote in message
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> Sounds like my Foley food mill.
>>>

>> yup
>> Ellen

> I kinda hate my Foley. It's not a huge one (about the size of my head?)
> but it doesn't do too much at one time without needing cleaning out. And
> the durned whirlygig thing keeps coming uncanoodled if it's too full.
> Maybe I'll spring for a fancy tomato thingy with extra screens this year.
> I just hated to throw away those blackberry seeds though. It looked like
> I might have been able to make jelly if I'd been thinking...
> BTW - I mill only half the blackberries and call it Mostly Seedless Jam.
> Works for me.
> Edrena

yup, did that once with raspberries , (well, through a sieve, don't have a
food mill) - called it Mostly Seedless Raspberry Jam. With those results,
don't see much point in spending the money on something else to take out the
seeds....

Kathi

Anny Middon 24-05-2007 03:08 PM

Food mill -- need recommendations

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
t...

> I kinda hate my Foley. It's not a huge one (about the size of my head?)
> but it doesn't do too much at one time without needing cleaning out. And
> the durned whirlygig thing keeps coming uncanoodled if it's too full.
> Maybe I'll spring for a fancy tomato thingy with extra screens this year.
> I just hated to throw away those blackberry seeds though. It looked like
> I might have been able to make jelly if I'd been thinking...
> BTW - I mill only half the blackberries and call it Mostly Seedless Jam.
> Works for me.
> Edrena

I did something like that once with raspberries -- I was using the
sieve-and-spoon method of deseeding, grew tired of it, and just used the
rest of the berries as is. Not a bad jam at all.

But I used to have a couple of elderly relatives (both gone now, alas) who
ate only seedless spreads. They had dentures and any berry seeds would get
under the dentures and be painful. At my age (53) it won't be long before I
have others in that situation, and I'd like to think ahead.

Plus I'm not that crazy about seeds in raspberry jam myself.

Anny

Brian Mailman[_1_] 24-05-2007 05:21 PM

Anny Middon wrote:

> But I used to have a couple of elderly relatives (both gone now,
> alas) who ate only seedless spreads. They had dentures and any berry
> seeds would get under the dentures and be painful.

There's also diverticulitis, a condition where you can't eat seeds or
you may wind up with some major surgery.

B/