Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Preserving with pressure cooker: two newbe questions

Hi. I am quite new to preserving and received a pressure cooker for my
birthday recently. I explored the recipies included with it but their
number and interest is quite limited. My goal in becoming interested
in home preserving and canning is to be able to prepare my own recipies
in large quantity and can the results.

I read not to use personnal recipies but only "certified" ones from
reliable sources. So, here is my first question: is there some sources
of trusted recipies ideally on the web, or recommanded books (french,
or english) that would give more than the eternal chicken broth,
spaghetty sauces (generally two versions, with or without meat...) and
a couple of beef stews ?

The second question is more complex, I guess. I'm looking for
guidelines to be able to determin the time and pressure to use
according with the ingredients of a specific recipe. I have a
precision scale and a pH meter on hand. Why such a table is so hard to
find? Please, help.

Many thanks!

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"VclBaroque" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi. I am quite new to preserving and received a pressure cooker for my
> birthday recently. I explored the recipies included with it but their
> number and interest is quite limited. My goal in becoming interested
> in home preserving and canning is to be able to prepare my own recipies
> in large quantity and can the results.
>
> I read not to use personnal recipies but only "certified" ones from
> reliable sources. So, here is my first question: is there some sources
> of trusted recipies ideally on the web, or recommanded books (french,
> or english) that would give more than the eternal chicken broth,
> spaghetty sauces (generally two versions, with or without meat...) and
> a couple of beef stews ?
>
> The second question is more complex, I guess. I'm looking for
> guidelines to be able to determin the time and pressure to use
> according with the ingredients of a specific recipe. I have a
> precision scale and a pH meter on hand. Why such a table is so hard to
> find? Please, help.
>
> Many thanks!

Happy Birthday and welcome, VB! Where are you writing from?
Canada by your address? We have some Canadians here on the site
somewheres. What size pressure cooker or canner? You got your
own garden or use a farmers' market?
First of all check out our FAQ
http://rfpfaq.jaclu.com/rfpFAQ.htm
to answer many of your questions.
It also contains a list of reputable texts you will probably be able to
check out of your library. Our library can request books from
anywhere on a interlibrary loan. Also some university and government
websites. I commend your decision to use only tested recipes at first,
until you know the markers for your own recipes. The Ball Blue Book
(Bernardin has a similar one published in Canada) is a very good
place to start. The book is inexpensive and readily available and
chock full of knowledge and facts and things.
Pickles (my personal favorite, being the Vinegar Maven) and
sweet spreads are a good starting point, as they are acid enough to
be safe. And simple to preserve in a boiling water bath - you can
use your pressure cooker for that without the lid. Or any ol' stock
pot for that matter.
Let us know how you go on.
Edrena, faithful disciple of St. Vinaigrette

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses a écrit :

> "VclBaroque" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > I am quite new to preserving (...) received a pressure cooker (..)
> > My goal is to prepare my own recipies in large quantity and can
> > the results.
> >
> > I read not to use personnal recipies but only "certified" ones from
> > reliable sources. (...) is there some sources of trusted recipies
> > ideally on the web, or recommanded books (french, or english) (...)
> >
> > (...) I'm looking for guidelines to determin the time and pressure to
> > use according with the ingredients of a specific recipe.
> >
> > Many thanks!
> >

> (...) Where are you writing from? Canada by your address? What
> size pressure cooker or canner? You got your own garden or use a
> farmers' market?
>
> First of all check out our FAQ
> http://rfpfaq.jaclu.com/rfpFAQ.htm
>
> to answer many of your questions.
>
> It also contains a list of reputable texts (...) Also some university
> and government websites. I commend your decision to use only tested
> recipes at first, until you know the markers for your own recipes. The
> Ball Blue Book (Bernardin has a similar one published in Canada) is a
> very good place to start. The book (...) chock full of knowledge and facts
> and things.
>
> Pickles (my personal favorite, being the Vinegar Maven) and sweet
> spreads are a good starting point, as they are acid enough to be safe.
> And simple to preserve in a boiling water bath (...)
>
> Let us know how you go on.
> Edrena, faithful disciple of St. Vinaigrette

Hi Edrena,

Thank you for your fast answer. The FAQ effectively contains lots of
informations that I will benifit a lot from reading. (I suspsected it
existed but didn't find it through normal searh engines...) I already
bought the Bernardin book and studied it deeply. I'm now looking for
going further.

You asked about my sources of edibles: I live in the country in Québec
(province of Canada) so I have access to local farmers production, I
have my own vegetable garden and can go to Montreal public market when
not in harvesting season.

My pressure cooker is a 23 quarts Presto brand on with dial type
pressure indicator.

To be more accurate, beside preserving large quantity of vegetables at
harvest time, I wish to can ready-cooked meals to carry at work for
lunchtime or to get fast-heated meals when I'm back home, often
somewhat late at night. So, there will be most often meat and beans in
the recipies that will be preserving.

Please, feel free to add any comment you would think relevant :-)

Etienne

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses a écrit :

> "VclBaroque" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > I am quite new to preserving (...) received a pressure cooker (..)
> > My goal is to prepare my own recipies in large quantity and can
> > the results.
> > I read not to use personnal recipies but only "certified" ones from
> > reliable sources. (...) is there some sources of trusted recipies
> > ideally on the web, or recommanded books (french, or english) (...)
> > (...) I'm looking for guidelines to determin the time and pressure to
> > use according with the ingredients of a specific recipe.

> (...) Where are you writing from? Canada by your address? What
> size pressure cooker or canner? You got your own garden or use a
> farmers' market?
> First of all check out our FAQ
> http://rfpfaq.jaclu.com/rfpFAQ.htm
> It also contains a list of reputable texts (...) Also some university
> and government websites. I commend your decision to use only tested
> recipes at first, until you know the markers for your own recipes. The
> Ball Blue Book (Bernardin has a similar one published in Canada) is a
> very good place to start. The book (...) chock full of knowledge and facts
> and things.
> Pickles (my personal favorite, being the Vinegar Maven) and sweet
> spreads are a good starting point, as they are acid enough to be safe.
> And simple to preserve in a boiling water bath (...)
> Let us know how you go on.
> Edrena, faithful disciple of St. Vinaigrette

Hi Edrena,
Thank you for your fast answer. The FAQ effectively contains lots of
informations that I will benifit a lot from reading. (I suspsected it
existed but didn't find it through normal searh engines...) I already
bought the Bernardin book and studied it deeply. I'm now looking for
going further.
You asked about my sources of edibles: I live in the country in Québec
(province of Canada) so I have access to local farmers production, I
have my own vegetable garden and can go to Montreal public market when
not in harvesting season.
My pressure cooker is a 23 quarts Presto brand on with dial type
pressure indicator.
To be more accurate, beside preserving large quantity of vegetables at
harvest time, I wish to can ready-cooked meals to carry at work for
lunchtime or to get fast-heated meals when I'm back home, often
somewhat late at night. So, there will be most often meat and beans in
the recipies that will be preserving.
Please, feel free to add any comment you would think relevant :-)
Etienne

Etienne - it shouldn't be too long before the Canadians jump in here.
How lucky you are! I live in the US desert southwest, very high up.
No berries, not too much fruit. Also very little snow. But we get
cool crops in Feb. I grow my herbs in the back yard.
Be sure to read George Shirley's posts - he does a lot of pressure
canning from his large garden. We have had a couple of discussions
about meals-in-a-jar this last year. I'm sorry I did not save any of the
headers though. Can you download posts that far back? You might
want to put together a list of your favorite recipes to try. I believe
the rule is to process the recipe according to the longest item in the
recipe - like meat.
_Putting Food By_ is a pretty good text. You may also want to
find yourself a nice metric conversion program or website - there
are several free sites. Most of us are using the outdated unwieldy
American system (but there are lots who don't). My Mastercook
program also converts to metric. Figures out the calories and
protein grams and stuff, too.
Bon chance! (And Our et la biblioteque? is the limit of my high
school French)
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

If you get wild game like deer, elk etc canned meat is really good.

Nothing like cracking a jar full of venison in the middle of winter.

Good luck with your pressure canner.

Chuck

The Joneses a écrit :

> "VclBaroque" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > I am quite new to preserving (...) received a pressure cooker (..)
> > My goal is to prepare my own recipies in large quantity and can
> > the results.
> >
> > I read not to use personnal recipies but only "certified" ones from
> > reliable sources. (...) is there some sources of trusted recipies
> > ideally on the web, or recommanded books (french, or english) (...)
> >
> > (...) I'm looking for guidelines to determin the time and pressure to
> > use according with the ingredients of a specific recipe.
> >
> > Many thanks!
> >

> (...) Where are you writing from? Canada by your address? What
> size pressure cooker or canner? You got your own garden or use a
> farmers' market?
>
> First of all check out our FAQ
> http://rfpfaq.jaclu.com/rfpFAQ.htm
>
> to answer many of your questions.
>
> It also contains a list of reputable texts (...) Also some university
> and government websites. I commend your decision to use only tested
> recipes at first, until you know the markers for your own recipes. The
> Ball Blue Book (Bernardin has a similar one published in Canada) is a
> very good place to start. The book (...) chock full of knowledge and facts
> and things.
>
> Pickles (my personal favorite, being the Vinegar Maven) and sweet
> spreads are a good starting point, as they are acid enough to be safe.
> And simple to preserve in a boiling water bath (...)
>
> Let us know how you go on.
> Edrena, faithful disciple of St. Vinaigrette

Hi Edrena,

Thank you for your fast answer. The FAQ effectively contains lots of
informations that I will benifit a lot from reading. (I suspsected it
existed but didn't find it through normal searh engines...) I already
bought the Bernardin book and studied it deeply. I'm now looking for
going further.

You asked about my sources of edibles: I live in the country in Québec
(province of Canada) so I have access to local farmers production, I
have my own vegetable garden and can go to Montreal public market when
not in harvesting season.

My pressure cooker is a 23 quarts Presto brand on with dial type
pressure indicator.

To be more accurate, beside preserving large quantity of vegetables at
harvest time, I wish to can ready-cooked meals to carry at work for
lunchtime or to get fast-heated meals when I'm back home, often
somewhat late at night. So, there will be most often meat and beans in
the recipies that will be preserving.

Please, feel free to add any comment you would think relevant :-)

Etienne

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses a écrit :

> "VclBaroque" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > I am quite new to preserving (...) received a pressure cooker (..)
> > My goal is to prepare my own recipies in large quantity and can
> > the results. (clipped previous discussion)

As I remember, for dinner menus, one of our correspondents
recommended canning the ingredients separately in smaller
quantity, than combine at serving time: beans, meat, tomato
sauce or tomatoes, green beans, corn. Make a simple
sauce, stir in stuff (add chiles or cumin for the south of the
border taste), add curry or seasonings, poof, dinner stew.
During this off-season, you may want to haunt the second
hand stores, church bazaars and yard/estate sales for
*unchipped* jars. Tell all your friends to look up in
Granmere's attic, too. Average price for used jars is from
10 cents US for small to 50 cents for quarts. I like to buy
wide mouth jars whenever possible. But your friends will
find you some for free, too. Old unrusted rings are usable,
used sealing lids are not. Very old new lids (a la Granmere)
may be too old to seal reliably.
Edrena, thinking cap on.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses a écrit :

> [...]

> Be sure to read George Shirley's posts - he does a lot of pressure
> canning from his large garden. We have had a couple of discussions
> about meals-in-a-jar this last year. I'm sorry I did not save any of the
> headers though. Can you download posts that far back? You might
> want to put together a list of your favorite recipes to try. I believe
> the rule is to process the recipe according to the longest item in the
> recipe - like meat.
> _Putting Food By_ is a pretty good text. You may also want to
> find yourself a nice metric conversion program or website - there
> are several free sites. Most of us are using the outdated unwieldy
> American system (but there are lots who don't). My Mastercook
> program also converts to metric. Figures out the calories and
> protein grams and stuff, too.
> Bon chance! (And Our et la biblioteque? is the limit of my high

Edrena, thank you again for your new and useful commentaries. As a
unit conversion utility, I'd like to suggest for other users who would
find it useful "Convert" free software
(http://joshmadison.net/software/convert/) that I really like. It
converts about every unit known in this world (includin weight and
volume used in a kitchen) and you can even create custom ones to
fulfill your specific needs (no affiliation, of course).

May I also add that I was first raised and educated in those "outdated
unwieldy American system" that was partly -- but, sadly, only
partly...! -- changed here in Canada when I was about to enter
highschool. So, for most of of the situations, I dont't need a utility
to convert kitchen units.

I'll have a look at George's posts, thank you. Through Google groups,
I can access messages from him back to February 2001.

Thank you for you French words :-). I hope my English is
understandable too!

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Canning Nut a écrit :

> [...]

> bought the Bernardin book and studied it deeply. I'm now looking for
> going further.
>
> You asked about my sources of edibles: I live in the country in Québec
> (province of Canada) so I have access to local farmers production, I
> have my own vegetable garden and can go to Montreal public market when
> not in harvesting season.
>
> My pressure cooker is a 23 quarts Presto brand on with dial type
> pressure indicator.
>
> To be more accurate, beside preserving large quantity of vegetables at
> harvest time, I wish to can ready-cooked meals to carry at work for
> lunchtime or to get fast-heated meals when I'm back home, often
> somewhat late at night. So, there will be most often meat and beans in
> the recipies that will be preserving.
>
> Please, feel free to add any comment you would think relevant :-)

Thank you Chuck.

Just a question about venison: if we're talking about raw meat (instead
of cooked meals) wouldn't it be better to freeze it before cooking it
(if there is no time to do so while it's fresh)?

Etienne

Posted to rec.food.preserving

It's easier and it takes less space if you can. We freeze a LOT of stuff.
Besides I really like it canned and it tastes great. You can throw it on a
skillet, add some water and flour and bingo you have a great dinner. Just
pour over noodles and you have a meal.

It's simple to can. I raw pack it with salt and garlic and pressure can it
for 75 minutes for pints and 90 for quarts. Makes it's own juice which
makes good gravy.

Making me hungry talking about it.

Try it. It's easy.

Listen to the chicks on here though. They have been canning for much longer
than I.

Chuck

Canning Nut a écrit :

> [...]

> have my own vegetable garden and can go to Montreal public market when
> not in harvesting season.
>
> My pressure cooker is a 23 quarts Presto brand on with dial type
> pressure indicator.
>
> To be more accurate, beside preserving large quantity of vegetables at
> harvest time, I wish to can ready-cooked meals to carry at work for
> lunchtime or to get fast-heated meals when I'm back home, often
> somewhat late at night. So, there will be most often meat and beans in
> the recipies that will be preserving.
>
> Please, feel free to add any comment you would think relevant :-)
>
> Etienne

Thank you Chuck.

Just a question about venison: if we're talking about raw meat (instead
of cooked meals) wouldn't it be better to freeze it before cooking it
(if there is no time to do so while it's fresh)?

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Tim Tim is offline

Hmmmmmm,

certified, how did they become certified?
Someone had to start somewhere, many of the best recipes I have for canning
come from Amish friends. They have been certified by using for the last 300
years as they are passed down from generation to generation. Also they have
incorporated some of my recipes that i have given them, notably Noodle
Kugel, hamburger soup and Owen's Sausage Stew.

Belive me if you have not sampled authentic Amish bologna made from either
beef or venison, you have totally missed the boat.

tim bowley
"VclBaroque" > wrote in message
ps.com...
The Joneses a écrit :

> [...]

unit conversion utility, I'd like to suggest for other users who would
find it useful "Convert" free software
(http://joshmadison.net/software/convert/) that I really like. It
converts about every unit known in this world (includin weight and
volume used in a kitchen) and you can even create custom ones to
fulfill your specific needs (no affiliation, of course).

May I also add that I was first raised and educated in those "outdated
unwieldy American system" that was partly -- but, sadly, only
partly...! -- changed here in Canada when I was about to enter
highschool. So, for most of of the situations, I dont't need a utility
to convert kitchen units.

I'll have a look at George's posts, thank you. Through Google groups,
I can access messages from him back to February 2001.

Thank you for you French words :-). I hope my English is

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Tim" > wrote in message
> Hmmmmmm,
>
> certified, how did they become certified?
> Someone had to start somewhere, many of the best recipes I have for
> canning come from Amish friends. They have been certified by using for the
> last 300 years as they are passed down from generation to generation.
> Also they have incorporated some of my recipes that i have given them,
> notably Noodle Kugel, hamburger soup and Owen's Sausage Stew.
>
> Belive me if you have not sampled authentic Amish bologna made from either
> beef or venison, you have totally missed the boat.
>
> tim bowley

Tim,

Any chance of posting some of those recipes?