Posted to rec.food.preserving
mj mj is offline

Default Looking for information about Cold Smoking as a means of preservation.

I have just completed a 20 cubic foot cold smokehouse. I can hold the
internal temperature at 90F to 100F with great consistency. I did so
today for 8 hours as a test. So now I have the tools but I am having
trouble finding information about the full process of using a cold
smoking process to preserve Pork and fish. Any one here have any links
or past experience?
Posted to rec.food.preserving

mj wrote:

> I have just completed a 20 cubic foot cold smokehouse. I can hold the
> internal temperature at 90F to 100F with great consistency. I did so
> today for 8 hours as a test. So now I have the tools but I am having
> trouble finding information about the full process of using a cold
> smoking process to preserve Pork and fish. Any one here have any links
> or past experience?

Searching on (without the quotes) "cold AND smoked AND (fish OR pork)
AND recipe" turned up almost 100 sites and it looks from reading the
titles that many are what you're looking for.

While it's ontopic in this group, you also might want to ask over in
alt.food.barbecue.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

mj wrote:

> I have just completed a 20 cubic foot cold smokehouse. I can hold the
> internal temperature at 90F to 100F with great consistency. I did so
> today for 8 hours as a test. So now I have the tools but I am having
> trouble finding information about the full process of using a cold
> smoking process to preserve Pork and fish. Any one here have any links
> or past experience?

Technically, smoking (cold or otherwise) is not a form of
preservation. Any cure you apply before smoking may help
preserve it depending on the details, but the smoke
itself does not. It's curing and drying that actually
preserves it.

I make a few pork products that are preserved, i.e. safe
to keep at room temperature. They all entail a drying step
which fully preserves the product, after which some are
cold smoked. I make coppa from shoulder cuts, prosciutto
crudo from ham cuts, plus some dried salami and pepperoni
type products. If any of this interests you I can post
the details.

For preserving smoked fish I rely on my freezer. I've
tried a few dry cured recipes that result in a preserved
fish product ala salt cod, but it's not something I really
care for.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Reg" > wrote in message
om...
> mj wrote:
>
>> I have just completed a 20 cubic foot cold smokehouse. I can hold the
>> internal temperature at 90F to 100F with great consistency. I did so
>> today for 8 hours as a test. So now I have the tools but I am having
>> trouble finding information about the full process of using a cold
>> smoking process to preserve Pork and fish. Any one here have any links or
>> past experience?

> Technically, smoking (cold or otherwise) is not a form of
> preservation. Any cure you apply before smoking may help
> preserve it depending on the details, but the smoke
> itself does not. It's curing and drying that actually
> preserves it.
>
> I make a few pork products that are preserved, i.e. safe
> to keep at room temperature. They all entail a drying step
> which fully preserves the product, after which some are
> cold smoked. I make coppa from shoulder cuts, prosciutto
> crudo from ham cuts, plus some dried salami and pepperoni
> type products. If any of this interests you I can post
> the details.
>
> For preserving smoked fish I rely on my freezer. I've
> tried a few dry cured recipes that result in a preserved
> fish product ala salt cod, but it's not something I really
> care for.
> Reg

I remember with regret the alleged fish jerky I made for my brother. Wound
up kinda like crispy fish chips. Made great cat treats but for the salt.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving
LAC LAC is offline

On Oct 28, 5:48 pm, mj > wrote:
> I have just completed a 20 cubic foot cold smokehouse. I can hold the
> internal temperature at 90F to 100F with great consistency.

Cold-smoked fish is great, but you'll still have to refrigerate it.

I did so
> today for 8 hours as a test. So now I have the tools but I am having
> trouble finding information about the full process of using a cold
> smoking process to preserve Pork and fish. Any one here have any links
> or past experience?

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:

> I remember with regret the alleged fish jerky I made for my brother. Wound
> up kinda like crispy fish chips. Made great cat treats but for the salt.

I can imagine. There are only a few preserved fish products I
enjoy. Salt packed anchovies is one. Dried bonito another.
Most of the other preserved fish products like salt cod etc,
when reconstituted, just aren't as good as fresh. Traditional,
yes, but they're not as good to me. They've been so completely
hammered with salt that too much of their flavor is gone. I sub
my own smoked cod for bacaloa type preparations, brandade,
etc.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Reg" > wrote in message
om...
> mj wrote:
>
>> I have just completed a 20 cubic foot cold smokehouse. I can hold the
>> internal temperature at 90F to 100F with great consistency. I did so
>> today for 8 hours as a test. So now I have the tools but I am having
>> trouble finding information about the full process of using a cold
>> smoking process to preserve Pork and fish. Any one here have any links or
>> past experience?

> Technically, smoking (cold or otherwise) is not a form of
> preservation. Any cure you apply before smoking may help
> preserve it depending on the details, but the smoke
> itself does not. It's curing and drying that actually
> preserves it.
>
> I make a few pork products that are preserved, i.e. safe
> to keep at room temperature. They all entail a drying step
> which fully preserves the product, after which some are
> cold smoked. I make coppa from shoulder cuts, prosciutto
> crudo from ham cuts, plus some dried salami and pepperoni
> type products. If any of this interests you I can post
> the details.
>
> For preserving smoked fish I rely on my freezer. I've
> tried a few dry cured recipes that result in a preserved
> fish product ala salt cod, but it's not something I really
> care for.
> --
> Reg

Reg, how do you make prosciutto crudo? What's a good reading source
that would help a first timer with this?
Thanks
Kent

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kent wrote:

> Reg, how do you make prosciutto crudo? What's a good reading source
> that would help a first timer with this?
> Thanks

Hi Kent,

When I started doing prosciutto I pretty much used this recipe
as a model. It's fairly straigtforward.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/...to%20Parma.pdf

Another outstanding description of the process can be found
in Bertoli's "Cooking By Hand". In the home dry curing realm,
it's the best available. You certainly won't find a better
prosciutto description than what's in that book.

<http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Hand-Paul-Bertolli/dp/0609608932/sr=1-1/qid=1162626798/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-5708514-7305518?ie=UTF8&s=books>

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.preserving

You may want to look at/subscribe to (and ask there):

Seems like both lists are really the same people. I may add that Len
Poli, the owner of one of the links below is a regular contributor.

I subscribe to both, but focus on fresh sausage and cured meat. There
are only one or two annoying posters, but the list has been very quiet
lately, so as a question to get answers and opinions.

JK

Reg wrote:
> Kent wrote:
>
>> Reg, how do you make prosciutto crudo? What's a good reading source
>> that would help a first timer with this?
>> Thanks

> Hi Kent,
>
> When I started doing prosciutto I pretty much used this recipe
> as a model. It's fairly straigtforward.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/...to%20Parma.pdf

> Another outstanding description of the process can be found
> in Bertoli's "Cooking By Hand". In the home dry curing realm,
> it's the best available. You certainly won't find a better
> prosciutto description than what's in that book.
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Hand-Paul-Bertolli/dp/0609608932/sr=1-1/qid=1162626798/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-5708514-7305518?ie=UTF8&s=books>

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Try the Bradley Smoker forums, you will get a lot of assistance and recipes here

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final

cold smoking Stormmee Barbecue 77 28-09-2009 01:32 AM
cold smoking question Bob Barbecue 6 23-06-2007 03:01 AM
Cold smoking in WSM WiScottsin Barbecue 153 17-09-2004 02:35 AM
Death means life; "vegan" means stupid; "Gary Beckwith" means Jonathan Ball Vegan 0 06-07-2004 12:00 AM