Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Lime Marmalade Part 1

This first recipe called for a dozen limes, sliced up whole and soaked
overnite, simmered until tender, add an equal amount of sugar.
I added a little baking soda to bring the pH up to 3.5 or so.
Gag.
Very sour aftertaste.
I'll try the SureJel recipe next, slicing up rinds but no piths, juicing
some fruits, adding some "supremes," etc, etc.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Kathi Jones" > wrote in message

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> wrote:
>>
>>> This first recipe called for a dozen limes, sliced up whole and soaked
>>> overnite, simmered until tender, add an equal amount of sugar.
>>> I added a little baking soda to bring the pH up to 3.5 or so.
>>> Gag.
>>> Very sour aftertaste.
>>> I'll try the SureJel recipe next, slicing up rinds but no piths, juicing
>>> some fruits, adding some "supremes," etc, etc.
>>> Edrena
>>>

>> Edrena: every marmalade recipe I've ever used called for rind but no pith
>> or seeds. IMHO the pith gives you that bad aftertaste.
>>
>> George
>>

> yep - seville orange marmalade is an acquired taste - I really like it.
> But the oranges themselves are inedible - so tart and sour. Puke! Maybe
> limes and lime marmalade is similar? True, fresh limes are much nicer
> than seville oranges...;-P
>
> The Lime flavour is very powerful - I made blueberry lime jam a few years
> ago. Can't recall the recipe right now, but the lime amount was really
> low, and when I tasted it while cooking, it was hardly noticable. So I
> increased it just a bit....once it set, I tasted it again , and the lime
> flavour was really strong. Too strong!!
>
> Some marmalade recipes say to put the pith and seeds in a cheese cloth
> bag, cook with it, but remove before jarring....needed for the set ?
> Good luck,
> Kathi

These were seedless types, but I saw many recipes where the seeds were
boiled up with the rinds for the their pectin. This last recipe the green in
the rind kinda washed out. I plopped in about 3 (count'em) drops of green
food coloring, but it wasn't lime - it was wierd.
Edrena, The Saga Continues.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

wrote:

>>>This first recipe called for a dozen limes, sliced up whole and soaked
>>>overnite, simmered until tender, add an equal amount of sugar.
>>>I added a little baking soda to bring the pH up to 3.5 or so.
>>>Gag.
>>>Very sour aftertaste.
>>>I'll try the SureJel recipe next, slicing up rinds but no piths, juicing
>>>some fruits, adding some "supremes," etc, etc.
>>>Edrena
>>>

>>Edrena: every marmalade recipe I've ever used called for rind but no pith
>>or seeds. IMHO the pith gives you that bad aftertaste.
>>
>>George
>>

> yep - seville orange marmalade is an acquired taste - I really like it. But
> the oranges themselves are inedible - so tart and sour. Puke! Maybe limes
> and lime marmalade is similar? True, fresh limes are much nicer than
> seville oranges...;-P
>
> The Lime flavour is very powerful - I made blueberry lime jam a few years
> ago. Can't recall the recipe right now, but the lime amount was really low,
> and when I tasted it while cooking, it was hardly noticable. So I increased
> it just a bit....once it set, I tasted it again , and the lime flavour was
> really strong. Too strong!!
>
> Some marmalade recipes say to put the pith and seeds in a cheese cloth bag,
> cook with it, but remove before jarring....needed for the set ?
>
> Good luck,
>
> Kathi

Once upon a time we had a lot of controversy on this group about the
ability of citrus seeds to impart pectin to the marmalade. I believe
they do so put crushed seeds in a small cheese cloth bag and remove it
before jarring. It seems to help the set IMHO.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> Once upon a time we had a lot of controversy on this group about the
> ability of citrus seeds to impart pectin to the marmalade. I believe
> they do so put crushed seeds in a small cheese cloth bag and remove it
> before jarring. It seems to help the set IMHO.
>
> George

I once put some orange seeds in a little custard cup half-full of water
and soaked them overnight. They gelled the water. No acid, no sugar.
I dunno if it's pectin or not, but it would definitely help the set.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Oh pshaw, on Sun 10 Sep 2006 04:40:03p, meant to say...

> This first recipe called for a dozen limes, sliced up whole and soaked
> overnite, simmered until tender, add an equal amount of sugar.
> I added a little baking soda to bring the pH up to 3.5 or so.
> Gag.
> Very sour aftertaste.
> I'll try the SureJel recipe next, slicing up rinds but no piths, juicing
> some fruits, adding some "supremes," etc, etc.
> Edrena

Did you use Persian limes or the little Mexican (Key) limes? I don't mind
the bitter, but there should be enough sugar to keep them from being
particularly sour. I have used Persian limes for marmalade. I never use
pectin.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> Oh pshaw, on Sun 10 Sep 2006 04:40:03p, meant to say...
>
>> This first recipe called for a dozen limes, sliced up whole and soaked
>> overnite, simmered until tender, add an equal amount of sugar.
>> I added a little baking soda to bring the pH up to 3.5 or so.
>> Gag.
>> Very sour aftertaste.
>> I'll try the SureJel recipe next, slicing up rinds but no piths, juicing
>> some fruits, adding some "supremes," etc, etc.
>> Edrena

> Did you use Persian limes or the little Mexican (Key) limes? I don't mind
> the bitter, but there should be enough sugar to keep them from being
> particularly sour. I have used Persian limes for marmalade. I never use
> pectin.
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬

Wayne - I used persians, I think. The teeny limes have great taste, but
kinda ratty thin skin. And they are full of seeds to dig out. To pith or not
to pith, That Is The Question?
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Oh pshaw, on Mon 11 Sep 2006 03:43:41p, meant to say...

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
>> Oh pshaw, on Sun 10 Sep 2006 04:40:03p, meant to say...
>>
>>> This first recipe called for a dozen limes, sliced up whole and soaked
>>> overnite, simmered until tender, add an equal amount of sugar.
>>> I added a little baking soda to bring the pH up to 3.5 or so.
>>> Gag.
>>> Very sour aftertaste.
>>> I'll try the SureJel recipe next, slicing up rinds but no piths,
>>> juicing some fruits, adding some "supremes," etc, etc.
>>> Edrena

>> Did you use Persian limes or the little Mexican (Key) limes? I don't
>> mind the bitter, but there should be enough sugar to keep them from
>> being particularly sour. I have used Persian limes for marmalade. I
>> never use pectin. Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬

> Wayne - I used persians, I think. The teeny limes have great taste, but
> kinda ratty thin skin. And they are full of seeds to dig out. To pith or
> not to pith, That Is The Question?
> Edrena

Yes, the Mexican limes are really full of seeds. The Persian limes I
usually find don't seem to have that much pith, so I use the whole lime,
sliced. I also add the seeds from several lemons, tied in cheesecloth, to
cook with the limes before adding the sugar. The consistency is almost
always perfect.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Everything in our favor was against us.

Lime Ginger Marmalade [email protected] Preserving 23 07-09-2008 03:03 AM
lime marmalade mobile Preserving 6 27-07-2007 02:51 PM
REC: Lime Marmalade (long) Anny Middon Preserving 5 26-05-2007 10:24 PM
The Lime Marmalade The Joneses[_1_] Preserving 1 19-03-2007 02:04 AM
Lime Marmalade, Another View Anny Middon Preserving 7 28-09-2006 03:43 PM