Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Splenda B&B?

Has anyone tried using Splenda in their bread-and-butter pickles? Or
pickle relish?

I now have a *raging* Type II in the household, and every single carb
seems to have an impact until we can get it under control. And a
veritible crate of pickling cukes was brought in y'day and I simply
don't have room to refrigerate that many half-sours/sours.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Brian Mailman wrote:

> Has anyone tried using Splenda in their bread-and-butter pickles? Or
> pickle relish?
>
> I now have a *raging* Type II in the household, and every single carb
> seems to have an impact until we can get it under control. And a
> veritible crate of pickling cukes was brought in y'day and I simply
> don't have room to refrigerate that many half-sours/sours.
>
> B/

I do it every year, old buddy: My latest from the notebook, adapted from
the Joy of Pickling recipe on p. 95.
Tell me how you like it.
Edrena

Thickly sliced, this made 12 pints. I think them were pretty big pickle
cukes, tho.
6# pickle cukes
1# pearl onions
1/4 cup salt
8 cups cider vinegar
1 cups white or white wine vinegar
2 cups Splenda
1 T. ground tumeric
2 t. celery seed
1 T. + 1 t. yellow mustard seed
Slice cukes thickly or thinly or mediumly, peel onions (or slice/chunk
biggers). Sprinkle all veggies with salt, cover with couple trays ice
cubes. Brine thusly for 3-4 hours, rinse, drain well. These are not too
salty!
Mix seeds. Add scant 1/2 teasp. per pint, then add veggies, pour
vinegar stuff over.
Mix vinegars and Splenda to taste, stir in tumeric; heat to simmer;
pour over stuff.
De-bubble, wipe rims, do caps/lids.
Processed BWB 10' per pint, 15' per qt. sea level [adjust for altitude]

[I thought 2 cups Splenda was enuf, the lady I made them for wanted more]

[I don't especially like the strongly flavored all cider vinegar. I like
to cut with some white wine vinegar, even 1/2 and 1/2]
[Thickly sliced and whole take more room in the jars.]
[I added a chile de arbol for my chile head loved ones]

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:

> Brian Mailman wrote:
>
>> Has anyone tried using Splenda in their bread-and-butter pickles? Or
>> pickle relish?
>>
>> I now have a *raging* Type II in the household, and every single carb
>> seems to have an impact until we can get it under control. And a
>> veritible crate of pickling cukes was brought in y'day and I simply
>> don't have room to refrigerate that many half-sours/sours.
>>
>> B/

> I do it every year, old buddy: My latest from the notebook, adapted from
> the Joy of Pickling recipe on p. 95.
> Tell me how you like it.

Thenkyew veddy much!!!

B/

Splenda bfairey General Cooking 7 11-05-2007 05:25 AM
Splenda PackMule64 Diabetic 0 13-06-2006 05:57 AM
Splenda Ed Ahern Diabetic 3 25-02-2006 07:01 AM
splenda bill Diabetic 61 14-08-2005 03:16 PM
Splenda Bill Dunn General Cooking 5 19-06-2004 10:50 PM