Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default huitlacoche

Anyone have any recipes? Any tips?
Well - does anyone even have experience using huitlacoche?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
FB FB is offline

chipotle wrote:
> Anyone have any recipes? Any tips?
> Well - does anyone even have experience using huitlacoche?

It's the fungus that grows on the roots of cornstalks as I recall. I
suppose it has an earthy taste, like mushrooms. Mexicans eat every part
of the maize plant. and even toast the corn worms and eat them in
tacos.

Maybe you could get the same earthy flavor by lightly sauteeing fresh
mushrooms in butter and adding just enough of your favorite salsa so it
doesn't hide the flavor and eat it as a mushroom taco.

The key to AUTHENTIC Mexican cooking is to know just enough Spanish to
be able to read a recipe in Spanish. You can tell a recipe for a
Mexican dish from a Spanish language version of an American dish by the
fact the Mexican dish will use cilantro or epazote or some kind of
chile.

I easily found 10 pages of recipes using huitlacoche with the search
terms "recetas" and "huitlacoche".

Receta de cocina para preparar Huevos con Salsa de Huitlacoche
Ingredientes:

SALSA DE HUITLACOCHE

25 grs. de mantequilla.
2 cucharadas de cebolla picada.
Sal.
2 cucharadas de epazote.
250 grs. de huitlacoche.
Caldo de pollo.

OMELETTE:

2 huevos.
Sal.
Pimienta.
2 cucharadas de agua mineral.
1 cucharada de aceite.

SALSA MEXICANA:

½ jitomate pelado y picado.
1 cucharada de cebolla picada.
1 cucharada de cilantro picado.
½ chile serrano sin semillas picado.
Sal.

Procedimiento:

SALSA DE HUITLACOCHE:

Sofría en mantequilla la cebolla, agregue los huitlacoches, sal y
epazote, ponga un poco de caldo a que quede la salsa espesa.

OMELETTE:

Bata los huevos con unos granitos de sal, pimienta y agua mineral,
vacíe en un sartén con aceite a fuego suave, deje hasta que cuaje el
huevo. En un plato coloque una capa de salsa de huitlacoche, encima el
omelette y sobre este una porción de salsa mexicana.

SALSA MEXICANA:

Mezcle todos los ingredientes en una salsera y déjelos reposar un
momento para que se combinen los sabores.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

FB wrote: "It's the fungus that grows on the roots of cornstalks as I
recall."

Actually, it grows on the corn itself. You can also buy it in a can.
It makes an ugly looking, but very taste, dish.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"chipotle" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Anyone have any recipes? Any tips?
> Well - does anyone even have experience using huitlacoche?

Two favorite traditional ways to enjoy this delicacy is to mix with the maza
and come up with purple tortillas, the other is to make it in quesadillas
which are nothing more than a half-cooked tortilla onto which you laddle a
spoonfull of huitlacoche, fold over and continue cooking until done. Better
yet when a bit of squash flowers are added!

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 17:11:53 GMT, "Wayne Lundberg"
> wrote:

>"chipotle" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> Anyone have any recipes? Any tips?
>> Well - does anyone even have experience using huitlacoche?

>Two favorite traditional ways to enjoy this delicacy is to mix with the maza
>and come up with purple tortillas, the other is to make it in quesadillas
>which are nothing more than a half-cooked tortilla onto which you laddle a
>spoonfull of huitlacoche, fold over and continue cooking until done. Better
>yet when a bit of squash flowers are added!
>
>Wayne

Wayne, tell them about using cheese in quesadillas. ;->

jim

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
FB FB is offline

Rolly wrote:
> FB wrote: "It's the fungus that grows on the roots of cornstalks as I
> recall."
>
> Actually, it grows on the corn itself. You can also buy it in a can.
> It makes an ugly looking, but very taste, dish.

I found a different kind of dried maiz in the local supermarket.

It's called "maiz morada" (Indian corn), and the shells of the dried
kernels are purplish red, instead of the white kind used for masa.

I have seen a recipe that uses water in which maiz morada has been
boiled to make a
purple coloring for a Mexican dessert.

Now I am wondering if huitlacoche fungus has anything to do with the
coloration of the maiz kernels.

Huitlacoche Para Quesadillas International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 11-06-2008 03:02 AM
Huitlacoche Nellie General Cooking 4 13-11-2006 03:49 AM
Huitlacoche in UK? James Mexican Cooking 3 19-10-2006 09:49 PM
Huitlacoche?!! Twentylettersintotal Mexican Cooking 4 05-10-2006 07:24 PM
Agucates Rellenos de Huitlacoche (Huitlacoche (or mushrooms)-Stuffed Avocados from Puebla) MrFalafel Vegan 0 06-10-2003 12:15 PM