Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Sonoran Dude

Default puerco adobada

I made my own puerco adobada last night and it was very good. I rarely
use recipes so not sure if this is authentic but it was as good or
better than any I have found prepared.

I used about 1/3 cup of Santa Cruz brand red chili powder (Mild)
2 1/2 Tablespoons of Goya brand Bitter Orange Adobo seasoning
1/2 cup Orange Juice to bind.

Mixed spices together in a bowl and rubbed generously on 6 pork steaks.
The steaks were about a 1/2" thick w/ bone in. (They were marked down to
a ridiculous price.) After the dry rub was applied I patted in the
orange juice with my hands to bind the rub to the meat. Covered the
steaks in a bowl and let them rest for 1 hour.

Fired up Weber kettle with Lump Mesquite on one side (very hot)
Grilled steaks 2-3 at a time for 1-2 minutes a side to sear and blacken
the rub.

Stacked the steaks on cool side of the grill and then snuffed the grill
with all vents closed for 10-12 minutes. Removed from grill and wrapped
in foil to rest again 15 minutes.

Steaks were beautifully blackened and plump and juicy inside. I used the
santa cruz chili for a milder burn for our guests. Actually picked up
the smoke flavor quite well and I enjoyed it over some of the hotter
chili I have used.

Served with home made pico de gallo, sour creme tortillas and refried beans.