FoodBanter.com

-   Mexican Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/)
-   -   Sopa de Gato estilo Oaxaca? (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/79394-sopa-de-gato-estilo.html)

oskar 19-01-2006 08:42 PM

Sopa de Gato estilo Oaxaca?

Hoy, en el Estado de Oaxaca (México) el Sopa de Gato, una sopa hecha a
base de espinazo de ternera o res o cabra, garbanzos y verduras es muy
popular...

I was initially annoyed by the thought of Sopa de Gato, but I figured
it out.

1 kilo of backbones of beef, veal or goat
250 grams of chick peas soaked from the previous night
250 grams of peeled and cut carrots in cubes
500 grams of chayotes cut in cubes
250 grams of green beans clean and cut in pieces
1 kilo of peeled tomato, without seed and cut in cubes
1 small sprig of coriander
6 pasilla chiles
salt to taste.

Cook backbones in sufficient water, and little by little and according
to the necessary time of cooking for each vegetable, add the carrot,
chayote, green beans and the Pope and chick peas. Finally the tomato is
added, the coriander and let boil about 10 minutes, salt to taste.
Deseed and devein the pasilla chiles, blister them in a frying pan,
then chop and puree them in a blender and add to the pot. Serve with
chopped cilantro, and chopped onion, as well as lemons divided in
wedges.

What a cruel practical joke on cat lovers! "Sopa de Gato" turns out to
be Birria, a Mexican dish I already knew about...

Sonoran Dude 20-01-2006 03:45 PM

Sopa de Gato estilo Oaxaca?

oskar wrote:
> Hoy, en el Estado de Oaxaca (México) el Sopa de Gato, una sopa hecha a
> base de espinazo de ternera o res o cabra, garbanzos y verduras es muy
> popular...
>
> I was initially annoyed by the thought of Sopa de Gato, but I figured
> it out.
>
> 1 kilo of backbones of beef, veal or goat
> 250 grams of chick peas soaked from the previous night
> 250 grams of peeled and cut carrots in cubes
> 500 grams of chayotes cut in cubes
> 250 grams of green beans clean and cut in pieces
> 1 kilo of peeled tomato, without seed and cut in cubes
> 1 small sprig of coriander
> 6 pasilla chiles
> salt to taste.
>
> Cook backbones in sufficient water, and little by little and according
> to the necessary time of cooking for each vegetable, add the carrot,
> chayote, green beans and the Pope and chick peas. Finally the tomato is
> added, the coriander and let boil about 10 minutes, salt to taste.
> Deseed and devein the pasilla chiles, blister them in a frying pan,
> then chop and puree them in a blender and add to the pot. Serve with
> chopped cilantro, and chopped onion, as well as lemons divided in
> wedges.
>
> What a cruel practical joke on cat lovers! "Sopa de Gato" turns out to
> be Birria, a Mexican dish I already knew about...

When you say backbone, you are talking about the standard ox tail cut
correct?
Thanks

oskar 20-01-2006 07:22 PM

Sopa de Gato estilo Oaxaca?

Sonoran Dude wrote:

> When you say backbone, you are talking about the standard ox tail cut
> correct?

The original Spanish was something like "espinazo de cabeza de res".So
I guess it's more like neckbones.

I was finding recipes for "caldo de perros", "cabeza de gato" and
"caldo de lenguas de gatos" and they all turned out to be attempts at
humor in naming what is essentially
Mexican "soul food", that which is eaten by the poor.