Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Otis and Carolyn

Default Pork Carnitas

Hello,
I hope I am forgiven for lurking here at times.
My husband and I often visit a restuarant called El Maguey in a nearby
town. Their Pork Carnitas are wonderful. Does anyone here have a
recipe for Pork Carnitas? We have looked at so many recipes on the web,
our heads are spinning. There is one recipe we like, but it isn't
complete as far as how to cook the pork and the cooking time. If
someone has a good recipe for this and would share it, we will be very
grateful.

Happy New Year to all.

Carolyn

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
CK

Otis and Carolyn wrote:

> There is one recipe we like, but it isn't
> complete as far as how to cook the pork and the cooking time. If
> someone has a good recipe for this and would share it, we will be very
> grateful.

3 pounds of boned, skinned pork shoulder
about 2 tsp. salt.

Cut the meat into chunks about 2 inches long by 3/4 inch wide by 3/4
inch thick.
Put the chunks into a pot with just enough water to cover it. Bring to
a boil.
Reduce heat but keep it boiling. Leave it uncovered. In half an hour,
all the water should be evaporated and the meat will be cooked, but not
falling apart. Lower the heat again and cook the pork to render the fat
out. Keep turning the meat constantly so it browns on all sides.

This may take another hour to an hour and a half, according to this
recipe in "Mexican Cooking" by Roger Hicks. That sounds like a lot of
cooking.

I would boil all of the pork chunks until they were tender, and then
take half of the pork and brown it in a skillet with oil, taking care
not to let it stick and shred, and then mix the pork together before
serving it.

I have ordered pork carnitas in a Mexican taqueria chain and found them
to be overcooked and very dry and crunchy.

The restaurant owner came running out with some carnitas which had been
boiled but weren't brown and dry and gave them to me.

She chewed the cook out, saying, "I *told* you before to serve half
crunchy and half soft carnitas!"

The rule for Mexican cooking is "No hay reglas fijas!" (There are NO
fixed rules!)

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,stl.dining
BoboBonobo

Otis and Carolyn wrote:
> Hello,
> I hope I am forgiven for lurking here at times.
> My husband and I often visit a restuarant called El Maguey in a nearby
> town. Their Pork Carnitas are wonderful. Does anyone here have a
> recipe for Pork Carnitas? We have looked at so many recipes on the web,
> our heads are spinning. There is one recipe we like, but it isn't
> complete as far as how to cook the pork and the cooking time. If
> someone has a good recipe for this and would share it, we will be very
> grateful.

I seriously hope you're not referring to *this* El Maguey:
http://www.elmaguey.com/

> Happy New Year to all.
>
> Carolyn

--Bryan

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,stl.dining
oskar

BoboBonobo wrote:

> I seriously hope you're not referring to *this* El Maguey:
> http://www.elmaguey.com/

That place sounds like a taco stand from reading its lunch menu.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,stl.dining
Carolyn LeCrone

There are several relatively new "Mexican" restaurants in our are of
Southern Maryland. Their lunch menu is an exact duplicate of the one posted
by at elmaguey but their other menus are a little more extensive. Do
restaurants just buy things like menu lists? I know that many American
style restaurants buy much of their food pre packaged.
Just nosy.
"BoboBonobo" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Otis and Carolyn wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I hope I am forgiven for lurking here at times.
>> My husband and I often visit a restuarant called El Maguey in a nearby
>> town. Their Pork Carnitas are wonderful. Does anyone here have a
>> recipe for Pork Carnitas? We have looked at so many recipes on the web,
>> our heads are spinning. There is one recipe we like, but it isn't
>> complete as far as how to cook the pork and the cooking time. If
>> someone has a good recipe for this and would share it, we will be very
>> grateful.

> I seriously hope you're not referring to *this* El Maguey:
> http://www.elmaguey.com/
>>
>> Happy New Year to all.
>>
>> Carolyn

> --Bryan

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,stl.dining
BoboBonobo

Carolyn LeCrone wrote:
> There are several relatively new "Mexican" restaurants in our are of
> Southern Maryland. Their lunch menu is an exact duplicate of the one posted
> by at elmaguey but their other menus are a little more extensive. Do
> restaurants just buy things like menu lists? I know that many American
> style restaurants buy much of their food pre packaged.

There are restaurants here that aren't even called El Maguey that use
that exact menu. The food is always bland and the salsa worse.
There's exactly one Mexican joint here in StL that has great salsas.
It's called My Family.

> Just nosy.

Most chain restaurants don't even have real kitchens. I don't spend my
money at those crap restaurants. IMO, Applebee's, Friday's,
O'Charley's, etc. aren't *real* restaurants.

> "BoboBonobo" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > Otis and Carolyn wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >> I hope I am forgiven for lurking here at times.
> >> My husband and I often visit a restuarant called El Maguey in a nearby
> >> town. Their Pork Carnitas are wonderful. Does anyone here have a
> >> recipe for Pork Carnitas? We have looked at so many recipes on the web,
> >> our heads are spinning. There is one recipe we like, but it isn't
> >> complete as far as how to cook the pork and the cooking time. If
> >> someone has a good recipe for this and would share it, we will be very
> >> grateful.

> > I seriously hope you're not referring to *this* El Maguey:
> > http://www.elmaguey.com/
> >>
> >> Happy New Year to all.
> >>
> >> Carolyn

> > --Bryan

--Bryan

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,stl.dining
jt august

In article . com>,
"BoboBonobo" > wrote:

> Most chain restaurants don't even have real kitchens. I don't spend my
> money at those crap restaurants. IMO, Applebee's, Friday's,
> O'Charley's, etc. aren't *real* restaurants.

I most hardily agree. In fact, Bandana's is the only chain restaurant I
like. For my money, privately owned establishments the only way to dine.

There is a small mexican place on Brown right at the wedge at Woodson.
So small, the don't even accept credit cards. Sorry, i cannot remember
the name of it. Anyway, when my family and I go there, we are the only
ones in the house (front or back) who can't speak spanish. Excellent
food there, nothing pre-made, pre-packages, or the like.

jt
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,stl.dining
John Doe

> Otis and Carolyn wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I hope I am forgiven for lurking here at times.
>> My husband and I often visit a restuarant called El Maguey in a nearby
>> town. Their Pork Carnitas are wonderful. Does anyone here have a
>> recipe for Pork Carnitas? We have looked at so many recipes on the web,
>> our heads are spinning. There is one recipe we like, but it isn't
>> complete as far as how to cook the pork and the cooking time. If
>> someone has a good recipe for this and would share it, we will be very
>> grateful.

> I seriously hope you're not referring to *this* El Maguey:
> http://www.elmaguey.com/

So I take it no one has a recipe for Pork Carnitas that is worth anything.
Just a lot of jabber with no help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Carolyn go to http://www.mexgrocer.com and type in the search block what
you want such as Pork Carnitas and they will have it for you.

Good Luck
Buck

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,stl.dining
ann

jt august > wrote in
:

> In article
> . com>,
> "BoboBonobo" > wrote:
>
>> Most chain restaurants don't even have real kitchens. I
>> don't spend my money at those crap restaurants. IMO,
>> Applebee's, Friday's, O'Charley's, etc. aren't *real*
>> restaurants.

> I most hardily agree. In fact, Bandana's is the only chain
> restaurant I like. For my money, privately owned
> establishments the only way to dine.
>
> There is a small mexican place on Brown right at the wedge at
> Woodson. So small, the don't even accept credit cards.
> Sorry, i cannot remember the name of it. Anyway, when my
> family and I go there, we are the only ones in the house
> (front or back) who can't speak spanish. Excellent food
> there, nothing pre-made, pre-packages, or the like.
>
> jt

What country? What city?
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,stl.dining
BOBOBOnoBO®

jt august wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "BoboBonobo" > wrote:
>
> > Most chain restaurants don't even have real kitchens. I don't spend my
> > money at those crap restaurants. IMO, Applebee's, Friday's,
> > O'Charley's, etc. aren't *real* restaurants.

> I most hardily agree. In fact, Bandana's is the only chain restaurant I
> like. For my money, privately owned establishments the only way to dine.
>
> There is a small mexican place on Brown right at the wedge at Woodson.
> So small, the don't even accept credit cards. Sorry, i cannot remember
> the name of it. Anyway, when my family and I go there, we are the only
> ones in the house (front or back) who can't speak spanish. Excellent
> food there, nothing pre-made, pre-packages, or the like.

If you recall the name, please post it. Can you elaborate? As far as
good *real* Mexican, the only one I've ever found is My Family, St.
Charles Rock Rd @ Ashby. Their salsa rocks.

> jt

--Bryan

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,stl.dining
ann

"BOBOBOnoBO®" > wrote in
oups.com:

> jt august wrote:
>> In article
>> . com>,
>> "BoboBonobo" > wrote:
>>
>> > Most chain restaurants don't even have real kitchens. I
>> > don't spend my money at those crap restaurants. IMO,
>> > Applebee's, Friday's, O'Charley's, etc. aren't *real*
>> > restaurants.

>> I most hardily agree. In fact, Bandana's is the only chain
>> restaurant I like. For my money, privately owned
>> establishments the only way to dine.
>>
>> There is a small mexican place on Brown right at the wedge at
>> Woodson. So small, the don't even accept credit cards.
>> Sorry, i cannot remember the name of it. Anyway, when my
>> family and I go there, we are the only ones in the house
>> (front or back) who can't speak spanish. Excellent food
>> there, nothing pre-made, pre-packages, or the like.

> If you recall the name, please post it. Can you elaborate?
> As far as good *real* Mexican, the only one I've ever found is
> My Family, St. Charles Rock Rd @ Ashby. Their salsa rocks.
>>
>> jt

> --Bryan

What country? What city?
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,stl.dining
BOBOBOnoBO®

ann wrote:
> jt august > wrote in
> :
>
> > In article
> > . com>,
> > "BoboBonobo" > wrote:
> >
> >> Most chain restaurants don't even have real kitchens. I
> >> don't spend my money at those crap restaurants. IMO,
> >> Applebee's, Friday's, O'Charley's, etc. aren't *real*
> >> restaurants.

> > I most hardily agree. In fact, Bandana's is the only chain
> > restaurant I like. For my money, privately owned
> > establishments the only way to dine.
> >
> > There is a small mexican place on Brown right at the wedge at
> > Woodson. So small, the don't even accept credit cards.
> > Sorry, i cannot remember the name of it. Anyway, when my
> > family and I go there, we are the only ones in the house
> > (front or back) who can't speak spanish. Excellent food
> > there, nothing pre-made, pre-packages, or the like.
> >
> > jt

> What country? What city?

USA, St. Louis, Missouri

I guess people just assumed that the prefix "stl" was pretty
universally known.

--Bryan

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,stl.dining
BOBOBOnoBO®

ann wrote:
> "BOBOBOnoBO®" > wrote in
> oups.com:
>

> > jt august wrote:
> >> In article
> >> . com>,

> >> I most hardily agree. In fact, Bandana's is the only chain
> >> restaurant I like. For my money, privately owned
> >> establishments the only way to dine.
> >>
> >> There is a small mexican place on Brown right at the wedge at
> >> Woodson. So small, the don't even accept credit cards.
> >> Sorry, i cannot remember the name of it. Anyway, when my
> >> family and I go there, we are the only ones in the house
> >> (front or back) who can't speak spanish. Excellent food
> >> there, nothing pre-made, pre-packages, or the like.

I'm going to go there after I drop off my wife and son at the train.
They're going to go up in that crazy Arch today.

> > If you recall the name, please post it. Can you elaborate?
> > As far as good *real* Mexican, the only one I've ever found is
> > My Family, St. Charles Rock Rd @ Ashby. Their salsa rocks.
> >>
> >> jt

> > --Bryan

> What country? What city?

USA, St. Louis, Missouri

--Bryan

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,stl.dining
TPhil

C'mon, good caritas is just good lean pork cooked very well with basic
seasonings & delicately fried.

The only way to ruin it is to go cheap & use pork with too high fat, under
or over fry it.

Case closed.

"John Doe" > wrote in message
>> Otis and Carolyn wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I hope I am forgiven for lurking here at times.
>>> My husband and I often visit a restuarant called El Maguey in a nearby
>>> town. Their Pork Carnitas are wonderful. Does anyone here have a
>>> recipe for Pork Carnitas? We have looked at so many recipes on the web,
>>> our heads are spinning. There is one recipe we like, but it isn't
>>> complete as far as how to cook the pork and the cooking time. If
>>> someone has a good recipe for this and would share it, we will be very
>>> grateful.

>> I seriously hope you're not referring to *this* El Maguey:
>> http://www.elmaguey.com/

> So I take it no one has a recipe for Pork Carnitas that is worth anything.
> Just a lot of jabber with no help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> Carolyn go to http://www.mexgrocer.com and type in the search block what
> you want such as Pork Carnitas and they will have it for you.
>
> Good Luck
> Buck

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,stl.dining
BoboBonobo

TPhil wrote:
> C'mon, good caritas is just good lean pork cooked very well with basic
> seasonings & delicately fried.
>
> The only way to ruin it is to go cheap & use pork with too high fat, under
> or over fry it.

Lean pork cooked in rendered pork fat is best, and like TPhil wrote
"delicately" fry it or it gets dried out. I had a perfect asada
burrito for lunch today, except for I'm pretty sure they used fryer
shortening (very unhealthy) instead of rendered fat to fry the beef and
grill the tortilla. My Family Restaurant put plenty of sliced avocado
on my burrito. They are the only real Mexican in St. Louis that
measures up to what a Chicagoan can get at lots of local places.

> Case closed.

> >> I seriously hope you're not referring to *this* El Maguey:
> >> http://www.elmaguey.com/

> > So I take it no one has a recipe for Pork Carnitas that is worth anything.
> > Just a lot of jabber with no help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> > Carolyn go to http://www.mexgrocer.com and type in the search block what
> > you want such as Pork Carnitas and they will have it for you.
> >
> > Good Luck
> > Buck

--Bryan, aka Bobo Bonobo, http://MySpace.com/BoboBonobo

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,stl.dining
BOBOBOnoBO®

http://groups.google.com. Then type
> > "stl.dining". You will get a page with recent posts, and near
> > the top will be "about group" (I'm assuming English, but then
> > it's a *BIG* world). Click the link, you will see the
> > following line "Description: Eating out around St Louis,
> > Missouri. ". See - you can do this do this in comfort of your
> > own home without coming on as a nasty twit.

> I do usenet... not Google.
>
> And if I cross post I introduce what/where I am talking about to
> an international group. I don't bop in thinking the whole
> "mexican-cooking" world would know where I'm from.

Google has a useful set of tools. Whatever you use for a newsreader,
you can go to their groups page and click on "about group" and it gives
info like "this month's top poster" and "all time top poster." You're
just being grumpy. That's OK. I get like that too sometimes.

> Thanks

--Bryan

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,stl.dining
BoboBonobo

ann wrote:
> "BOBOBOnoBO®" > wrote in
> oups.com:
>

> > ann wrote:

> >> I do usenet... not Google.
> >>
> >> And if I cross post I introduce what/where I am talking about
> >> to an international group. I don't bop in thinking the whole
> >> "mexican-cooking" world would know where I'm from.

> > Google has a useful set of tools.

> I realize that.
>
> > Whatever you use for a
> > newsreader, you can go to their groups page and click on
> > "about group" and it gives info like "this month's top poster"
> > and "all time top poster." You're just being grumpy. That's
> > OK. I get like that too sometimes.
> >>
> >> Thanks

> > --Bryan

> I'm not being 'grumpy'. Just "hinting" that when you cross post to
> another group.. it's a good idea to give a bit more information.
>
> How many in 'mexican-cooking' would know where 'stl' is?

I don't know. I'm sure everyone would know NYC and LA, most would
recognize CHI. and SF. There's SLC (Salt Lake City), DFW (Dallas-Fort
Worth), ATL (Atlanta), BAL (Baltimore). Where do you live?

> BTW I use Xnews as a reader and readfreenews.net as the server.
> Both excellent.

I have Mozilla Thunderbird, but my ISP doesn't carry a particular NG,
and sometimes if I post though it my posts don't propagate everywhere,
so Google is easier.

--Bryan

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,stl.dining
BOBOBOnoBO®

jt august wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "BoboBonobo" > wrote:
>
> > Most chain restaurants don't even have real kitchens. I don't spend my
> > money at those crap restaurants. IMO, Applebee's, Friday's,
> > O'Charley's, etc. aren't *real* restaurants.

> I most hardily agree. In fact, Bandana's is the only chain restaurant I
> like. For my money, privately owned establishments the only way to dine.
>
> There is a small mexican place on Brown right at the wedge at Woodson.
> So small, the don't even accept credit cards. Sorry, i cannot remember
> the name of it. Anyway, when my family and I go there, we are the only
> ones in the house (front or back) who can't speak spanish. Excellent
> food there, nothing pre-made, pre-packages, or the like.

I went by there yesterday. They appeared to be out of business.

Since I was halfway up there already and looking forward to Mexican
food, I went to My Family and got a perfect burrito. Two years ago,
when it was just a taqueria hidden in the back of a Mexican "mini
market," they sold that same burrito for $4.29. Then they started
bringing out free chips and salsa, at which point they raised all their
prices. That burrito went up to $4.99. When they turned the whole
thing into a restaurant, got a liquor license and put out their new
fancy-looking menus, it went to $5.99. Similarly, tacos went from
$1.25 to $1.50 to $1.99, respectively.
This place has the best burrito in the St. Louis area, at least on the
Missouri side of the river. It might be equalled by somewhere on the
East Side, but there's nothing better than the perfect burrito, which
is what I got yesterday. With tax and tip it cost me $9.00 (I had
water to drink), so not cheap, but I was stuffed to the gills. It was
my only meal of the day.
You should check it out jt.

> jt

--Bryan

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,stl.dining
ensenadajim

On 17 Jan 2006 04:47:45 -0800, "BOBOBOnoBO®" >
wrote:

>ann wrote:
>> wrote in
>> :

>> groups.com:

>> > Perhaps you've heard of Google. It's a *BIG* world, but in
>> > case you haven't, try
http://groups.google.com. Then type
>> > "stl.dining". You will get a page with recent posts, and near
>> > the top will be "about group" (I'm assuming English, but then
>> > it's a *BIG* world). Click the link, you will see the
>> > following line "Description: Eating out around St Louis,
>> > Missouri. ". See - you can do this do this in comfort of your
>> > own home without coming on as a nasty twit.

>> I do usenet... not Google.
>>
>> And if I cross post I introduce what/where I am talking about to
>> an international group. I don't bop in thinking the whole
>> "mexican-cooking" world would know where I'm from.

>Google has a useful set of tools. Whatever you use for a newsreader,
>you can go to their groups page and click on "about group" and it gives
>info like "this month's top poster" and "all time top poster." You're
>just being grumpy. That's OK. I get like that too sometimes.
>>
>> Thanks

>--Bryan

What she says is the truth, far too many USAians ASSume that they are
the only ones on the net and everybody will understand what they say,
the abbreviations they use and so on.

It is courteous to introduce oneself and where they are from beofre
making ASSumptions that you seemingly support.

There should be no need to google anything in this context.

jim

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,stl.dining
ensenadajim

On 17 Jan 2006 06:39:13 -0800, "BoboBonobo" >
wrote:

>ann wrote:
>> "BOBOBOnoBO®" > wrote in
>> oups.com:

>> > Google has a useful set of tools.

>> I realize that.
>>
>> > Whatever you use for a
>> > newsreader, you can go to their groups page and click on
>> > "about group" and it gives info like "this month's top poster"
>> > and "all time top poster." You're just being grumpy. That's
>> > OK. I get like that too sometimes.

>> > --Bryan

>> I'm not being 'grumpy'. Just "hinting" that when you cross post to
>> another group.. it's a good idea to give a bit more information.
>>
>> How many in 'mexican-cooking' would know where 'stl' is?

>I don't know. I'm sure everyone would know NYC and LA, most would
>recognize CHI. and SF. There's SLC (Salt Lake City), DFW (Dallas-Fort
>Worth), ATL (Atlanta), BAL (Baltimore). Where do you live?
>>
>> BTW I use Xnews as a reader and readfreenews.net as the server.
>> Both excellent.

>I have Mozilla Thunderbird, but my ISP doesn't carry a particular NG,
>and sometimes if I post though it my posts don't propagate everywhere,
>so Google is easier.
>
>--Bryan

How obtuse can you get - she is right. End of discussion. I also speak
SFO, SAN, GDA, MXL, ENS, DF and a bunch of others. Also BosWash,
SanSan and some other city references that may not be a s well known.
But I woiuld not use them without explanation unless I was certain
most would. And here, on USENET, that means, simply, explain it.

jim

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,stl.dining
BoboBonobo

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 17 Jan 2006 08:00:28 -0800, "BOBOBOnoBO®" >
> wrote:
>
> >With tax and tip it cost me $9.00 (I had
> >water to drink), so not cheap, but I was stuffed to the gills.

> A $9 burrito? Yikes. A place like that would never survive in CA
> or TX unless there was foie gras, Kobe beef, and black truffles
> inside.

A $5.99 + sales tax burrito, so about $6.50 including tax. I left a
$2.50 tip because it was sit down service, not order at the counter,
and when I think of how much money I'd spend on gas to get to Memphis
or Chicago, it seemed like an OK deal.

> (Oops: CA=California, TX=Texas)

Everyone knows those abbreviations, I hope.

> -sw

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,stl.dining
BOBOBOnoBO®

ann wrote:
> "BoboBonobo" > wrote in
> ups.com:
>
> > ann wrote:

> >> How many in 'mexican-cooking' would know where 'stl' is?

> > I don't know. I'm sure everyone would know NYC and LA, most
> > would recognize CHI. and SF. There's SLC (Salt Lake City),
> > DFW (Dallas-Fort Worth), ATL (Atlanta), BAL (Baltimore).
> > Where do you live?

> > --Bryan

> Hello
>
> Would you know where I am from if I gave you one of these?
> is, kg, io, jm, vc, pm

A place that is significant only to itself and its immediate neighbors?

> BTW it would be nice if you were discussing cooking at
> "alt.food.mexican-cooking" rather than the restaurants in your
> city.

It'd be nice if you'd go **** yourself instead of bitching, but that's
not likely to happen, is it?

> Thank you

For what?

--Bryan

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,stl.dining
BOBOBOnoBO®

ensenadajim wrote:
> On 17 Jan 2006 04:47:45 -0800, "BOBOBOnoBO®" >
> wrote:
>

> >ann wrote:
> >> wrote in
> >> :

> >> groups.com:

http://groups.google.com. Then type

> >> I do usenet... not Google.
> >>
> >> And if I cross post I introduce what/where I am talking about to
> >> an international group. I don't bop in thinking the whole
> >> "mexican-cooking" world would know where I'm from.

> >Google has a useful set of tools. Whatever you use for a newsreader,
> >you can go to their groups page and click on "about group" and it gives
> >info like "this month's top poster" and "all time top poster." You're
> >just being grumpy. That's OK. I get like that too sometimes.
> >>
> >> Thanks

> >--Bryan

> What she says is the truth, far too many USAians ASSume that they are
> the only ones on the net and everybody will understand what they say,
> the abbreviations they use and so on.
>
> It is courteous to introduce oneself and where they are from beofre
> making ASSumptions that you seemingly support.
>
> There should be no need to google anything in this context.

She was so quick to assume that I was exhibiting typical USArrogance.
Seems you are too. Fair enough. I agree it was sloppy on my part, and
I'm actually glad that people who are neither American nor Canadian
have an interest in Mexican food.

> jim

--Bryan

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,stl.dining
ensenadajim

On 19 Jan 2006 23:02:04 -0800, "BOBOBOnoBO®" >
wrote:

>ensenadajim wrote:
>> On 17 Jan 2006 04:47:45 -0800, "BOBOBOnoBO®" >
>> wrote:

http://groups.google.com. Then type

>> >Google has a useful set of tools. Whatever you use for a newsreader,
>> >you can go to their groups page and click on "about group" and it gives
>> >info like "this month's top poster" and "all time top poster." You're
>> >just being grumpy. That's OK. I get like that too sometimes.

>> >--Bryan

>> What she says is the truth, far too many USAians ASSume that they are
>> the only ones on the net and everybody will understand what they say,
>> the abbreviations they use and so on.
>>
>> It is courteous to introduce oneself and where they are from beofre
>> making ASSumptions that you seemingly support.
>>
>> There should be no need to google anything in this context.

>She was so quick to assume that I was exhibiting typical USArrogance.
>Seems you are too. Fair enough. I agree it was sloppy on my part, and
>I'm actually glad that people who are neither American nor Canadian
>have an interest in Mexican food.
>>

>> jim

>--Bryan

I was making a general comment and the shoe fit you - not too tightly,
btw.

We've all seen posters come in and rip someone for posting in a
foreign language, saying, essentially, this is a US medium. It is
unfortunate, but too many of us do not get out of our boxes.

Like you, I like the interest elsewhere. When visit freinds in
Canada, I usually end up cooking something "Mexicanish" for them. At
least they are learning that Taco Bell is not real Mexican and there
is far better stuff out there.

jim

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
TPhil

Green Chile is like a lot of everything else, much in the eyes of the
beholder.

But there's 2 common types with 1 other deviation that are quite good;

1) Tomatillos which is kinda sour, but green & distinct & easy

2) Tomatillos as above with good seasoning (garlic, onion, salt, pepper)
cooked as a sauce.

3) The above with addition of a tab bit of red chile

My favorite is #2 or #3 with cooked chicken. Makes some righteous chile,
enchilada sauce, etc.

Now, the best is to make this session starting with a whole chicken in a
pot, boil it, use the meat for enchiladas, then the broth for the sauce & a
the rest for soup!

"ann" > wrote in message
ews.net...
> Steve Wertz > wrote in
> :
>
>> Isn't it weird that 1 out of 2 new posts to a.f.m-c. turns
>> into an argument of some sort?
>>
>> <shrug> Just an observation.
>>
>> ObFood: Made an excellent batch of chicken, green chile and
>> tomatillo tamales last week. And chipotle salt, too. No, I
>> don't know if they were authentic, and don't care.
>>
>> -sw

> Would you share your green chili recipe?
>
> Thank you

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,stl.dining
paul

TPhil wrote:
> C'mon, good caritas is just good lean pork cooked very well with basic
> seasonings & delicately fried.
>
> The only way to ruin it is to go cheap & use pork with too high fat, under
> or over fry it.
>
> Case closed.

Best carnitas I ever had were simmered in milk until the milk was gone
and then sauteed with onion and spices.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,stl.dining
jt august

In article . net>,
ann > wrote:

> "BOBOBOnoBO®" > wrote in
> oups.com:
>

> > jt august wrote:
> >> In article
> >> . com>,

> >> I most hardily agree. In fact, Bandana's is the only chain
> >> restaurant I like. For my money, privately owned
> >> establishments the only way to dine.
> >>
> >> There is a small mexican place on Brown right at the wedge at
> >> Woodson. So small, the don't even accept credit cards.
> >> Sorry, i cannot remember the name of it. Anyway, when my
> >> family and I go there, we are the only ones in the house
> >> (front or back) who can't speak spanish. Excellent food
> >> there, nothing pre-made, pre-packages, or the like.

> > If you recall the name, please post it. Can you elaborate?
> > As far as good *real* Mexican, the only one I've ever found is
> > My Family, St. Charles Rock Rd @ Ashby. Their salsa rocks.
> >>
> >> jt

> > --Bryan

> What country? What city?

I want to apologize to those in alt.food.mexican-cooking. I simply hit
reply to a message in stl.general regarding a restaurant in the St.
Louis area.

jt
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
TPhil

There's an excellent cookbook web site that could help you a lot;

http://recipesource.com

It has many many kinds of excellent foods.

Try the Chiles en Nogada - yummy if you like a white walnut based sauce!!!

"ann" > wrote in message
ews.net...
> "TPhil" > wrote in
> om:
>
>> Green Chile is like a lot of everything else, much in the eyes
>> of the beholder.
>>
>> But there's 2 common types with 1 other deviation that are
>> quite good;
>>
>> 1) Tomatillos which is kinda sour, but green & distinct & easy
>>
>> 2) Tomatillos as above with good seasoning (garlic, onion,
>> salt, pepper) cooked as a sauce.
>>
>> 3) The above with addition of a tab bit of red chile
>>
>> My favorite is #2 or #3 with cooked chicken. Makes some
>> righteous chile, enchilada sauce, etc.
>>
>> Now, the best is to make this session starting with a whole
>> chicken in a pot, boil it, use the meat for enchiladas, then
>> the broth for the sauce & a the rest for soup!

> Thanks. I've tried various mixtures and still can't quite got it
> right. I don't use a recipe and I think it's a good time I go by
> one because, so far, I haven't gotten the right proportions.
>
> :-(
>
> I'm a terrible cook!
>

> Thanks again
>
> Ann

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

If you are interested in carnitas as it is done in Mexico, look here
for a picture tour of making carnitas:
http://rollybrook.com/carnitas-1.htm

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

wrote:

>WTF.

WTF, hmmm, lemme guess... WichiTa Falls?
--
Zilbandy - Tucson, Arizona USA <zil@zilbandyREMOVE THIS.com>
Dead Suburban's Home Page:
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,alt.punk

Rolly wrote:
> If you are interested in carnitas as it is done in Mexico, look here
> for a picture tour of making carnitas:
> http://rollybrook.com/carnitas-1.htm

The second picture is funny out of context.

--Bryan

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,alt.punk

In article .com>,
says...

> Rolly wrote:
> > If you are interested in carnitas as it is done in Mexico, look here
> > for a picture tour of making carnitas:

http://rollybrook.com/carnitas-1.htm

> The second picture is funny out of context.
>
> --Bryan

Wonderful sanitation practices!

Killed the pig by stabbing it through the heart, real nice.

Eating all that pork. No wonder mexicans are so fat!

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,stl.dining

John Doe wrote:

>>Otis and Carolyn wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>I hope I am forgiven for lurking here at times.
>>>My husband and I often visit a restuarant called El Maguey in a nearby
>>>town. Their Pork Carnitas are wonderful. Does anyone here have a
>>>recipe for Pork Carnitas? We have looked at so many recipes on the web,
>>>our heads are spinning. There is one recipe we like, but it isn't
>>>complete as far as how to cook the pork and the cooking time. If
>>>someone has a good recipe for this and would share it, we will be very
>>>grateful.

>>I seriously hope you're not referring to *this* El Maguey:
>>http://www.elmaguey.com/

> So I take it no one has a recipe for Pork Carnitas that is worth anything.
> Just a lot of jabber with no help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> Carolyn go to http://www.mexgrocer.com and type in the search block what
> you want such as Pork Carnitas and they will have it for you.
>
> Good Luck
> Buck

here is a simple recipe that gives good results:

use country style ribs

place in large pot

cover w water

add salt, not much

simmer until water is evaporated,

brown in the oil rendered from fat.

that's it.

j.

Not original to me, read it somewhere, and tried it

worked well, surprisingly.

j.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,stl.dining

BOBOBOnoBO® wrote:
> You smiled, you spoke, and I believed wrote:

I've tried numerous recipes from cookbooks and the www.

The ones that work well include seasonings. All good ones
have onion and bay leaves. Other additional spices that work
are cilantro, cumin, and orange peel.

Good carnitas absolutely require vast amounts of pork fat
and very very slow cooking.

I'm not sure which is more authentic, but some recipes
say simmer covered in lard for hours, staring wet (from
orange juice or chicken broth) and ending dry (lard only),
while others say simmer (with lots of fat) in lots of liquid
for two or three hours, drain off all water leaving only
some fat covering the pieces (not immersed), and bake for
45 minutes or an hour.

I've had great results from both methods.

Doug McDonald
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,stl.dining

Doug McDonald wrote:

> Good carnitas absolutely require vast amounts of pork fat...

That can be said of many things. Good frying in general requires lots
of rendered pork and/or chicken fat. Peanut oil or extra light olive
oil are poor substitutes. All other vegetable fats totally suck.

> Doug McDonald

--Bryan

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:35:42 -0800, Otis and Carolyn wrote
(in article >):

> Hello,
> I hope I am forgiven for lurking here at times.
> My husband and I often visit a restuarant called El Maguey in a nearby
> town. Their Pork Carnitas are wonderful. Does anyone here have a
> recipe for Pork Carnitas? We have looked at so many recipes on the web,
> our heads are spinning. There is one recipe we like, but it isn't
> complete as far as how to cook the pork and the cooking time. If
> someone has a good recipe for this and would share it, we will be very
> grateful.
>
> Happy New Year to all.
>
> Carolyn

Pulled Pork into Carnitas??? Tim Conde Mexican Cooking 18 28-09-2011 02:59 PM
Pork carnitas recipe on video recipecook Mexican Cooking 0 13-07-2011 09:24 PM
Carnitas Sqwertz General Cooking 23 12-09-2009 04:29 AM
Pork Carnitas (5) Collection Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 23-12-2003 01:40 AM
Carnitas Glenn Jacobs General Cooking 13 06-11-2003 09:17 PM