Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Pork Carnitas

"Mac User" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:35:42 -0800, Otis and Carolyn wrote
> (in article >):
>
> > Hello,
> > I hope I am forgiven for lurking here at times.
> > My husband and I often visit a restuarant called El Maguey in a nearby
> > town. Their Pork Carnitas are wonderful. Does anyone here have a
> > recipe for Pork Carnitas? We have looked at so many recipes on the web,
> > our heads are spinning. There is one recipe we like, but it isn't
> > complete as far as how to cook the pork and the cooking time. If
> > someone has a good recipe for this and would share it, we will be very
> > grateful.
> >
> > Happy New Year to all.
> >
> > Carolyn

There is an easy way to make the most of available pork chunks into
carnitas. I don't know where you live, but almost any supermarket near a
Mexican neighborhood will carry precut packaged chunks of pork labeled
"Carnitas". They are mostly random chunks picked up from the butcher as they
cut the many cuts so you will get a chunk from the rear, a chunk from the
front, etc. So they will not be from the tender cuts.

Take a deep fry pan with a cover. Spoon in a hefty amount of lard and bring
to a simmer. Add your pork chunks and stir until some surfaces show a bit of
caramelizing. Drain the lard and add consommé or water and simmer for over
an hour or until you can feel the meat becoming tender and easy to flake
into pinch sized lengths to be put into a hot corn tortilla.

The real secret to a great carnitas taco is the salsa. You should always
have a nice bowl of green, and red, and guacamole salsa handy. Also
radishes, cilantro, sliced onion and lots of chile serranos whole and diced
up for easy use. Roll the filled tortilla, pinch the back end, lean forward
and take a bite!

For example:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...t/IMG_0071.jpg

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Mac User wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:35:42 -0800, Otis and Carolyn wrote
> (in article >):
>

>>Hello,
>>I hope I am forgiven for lurking here at times.
>>My husband and I often visit a restuarant called El Maguey in a nearby
>>town. Their Pork Carnitas are wonderful. Does anyone here have a
>>recipe for Pork Carnitas? We have looked at so many recipes on the web,
>>our heads are spinning. There is one recipe we like, but it isn't
>>complete as far as how to cook the pork and the cooking time. If
>>someone has a good recipe for this and would share it, we will be very
>>grateful.
>>
>>Happy New Year to all.
>>
>>Carolyn

a recipe I got from here, I think is real simple.

Take pork,

I like to use a cut called "country ribs"

place in a pot, cover with water, and simmer until water is gone, brown
in the rendered fat.

that's it.

can add a little salt.

j.

after that, depends on salsa etc.

Pulled Pork into Carnitas??? Tim Conde Mexican Cooking 18 28-09-2011 02:59 PM
Pork carnitas recipe on video recipecook Mexican Cooking 0 13-07-2011 09:24 PM
Carnitas Sqwertz General Cooking 23 12-09-2009 04:29 AM
Pork Carnitas (5) Collection Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 23-12-2003 01:40 AM
Carnitas Glenn Jacobs General Cooking 13 06-11-2003 09:17 PM