Clyde Frog

Default chile pasilla

I love chile as long as it's not too hot and sprinkle it on everything
from steaks to hamburgers to soup to popcorn. Yesterday I saw powdered
chile pasilla at the store and bought a bag and tried it in tomato soup
today. Very good, though I think I added too much, it wasn't as mild
as the California and New Mexico chile powder I usually use.

I'm going to load up on a bunch more of it, it's $0.69 for a 28g bag.
It has such a rich, complex flavor, though I think I might stick to
using it in addition to the other chiles until I get fully used to the
taste.

BTW, if you haven't tried it already, sprinkle lots of mild chile powder
on popcorn. I first tried it at a movie theater in Mexico City and
while I was skeptical I tried it and loved it. Now it's one of my
favorite snacks.
Karen

Pasilla pepper is one of my favorites... where did you find powdered?
Popcorn pasilla or chili sounds great, btw.
Karne

Steve Pope

Karen > wrote:

>Pasilla pepper is one of my favorites... where did you find powdered?

Any Mexican market, so far as I know. Among grocery chains
Albertson's is the best bet.

The thing about pasilla powder is that it's made from roasted
pasillas, and ones that must have been hotter than average.

Steve
Frank Mancuso

Clyde Frog wrote:
> I love chile as long as it's not too hot and sprinkle it on everything
> from steaks to hamburgers to soup to popcorn. Yesterday I saw powdered
> chile pasilla at the store and bought a bag and tried it in tomato soup
> today. Very good, though I think I added too much, it wasn't as mild
> as the California and New Mexico chile powder I usually use.
>
> I'm going to load up on a bunch more of it, it's $0.69 for a 28g bag.
> It has such a rich, complex flavor, though I think I might stick to
> using it in addition to the other chiles until I get fully used to the
> taste.
>
> BTW, if you haven't tried it already, sprinkle lots of mild chile powder
> on popcorn. I first tried it at a movie theater in Mexico City and
> while I was skeptical I tried it and loved it. Now it's one of my
> favorite snacks.

And by all menas, try fruit(melons,pineapple,kiwi, etc. wiht a squeeze
of lime, and dusted with a chili salt blend-yum!
Karen

Does roasted pasilla have a different name (like roasted jalepeno is
chipotle I think)?

krusty kritter

Steve Pope wrote:

> The thing about pasilla powder is that it's made from roasted
> pasillas, and ones that must have been hotter than average.

I can get all the chiles I want cheaply here in the San Joaquin valley.
During the summertime I can string them and dry them outdoors in just a
few days of 100 degree weather. Chiles can also be microwave dried and
ground in a spice grinder but some of the thicker chiles don't dry
well, so they have to be smoked instead.

Michael Sierchio

krusty kritter wrote:

> ... some of the thicker chiles don't dry
> well, so they have to be smoked instead.

[trying hard not to say anything about inhaling chile smoke]

I believe I know you, krusty. Or shall I call you .... "Bob" ?

Ob food: chipotles in adobo, as bought in little cans at any
Mexican grocery and some others, are good stuff. Smoke 'em if
you've got 'em.

--
"Well," Brahma said, "even after ten thousand explanations, a fool is no
wiser, but an intelligent man requires only two thousand five hundred."
Reg

Karen wrote:

> Does roasted pasilla have a different name (like roasted jalepeno is
> chipotle I think)?

Roasted, no. Dried, yes. A pasilla is a dried chilaca,
but some (I think it's a CA/regional thing) refer to a dried
poblano as "pasilla", which it's not. There are two main
types of dried poblano, ancho and mulato. Neither is
properly called a pasilla.

Also, chipotle is a smoked jalapeno, not roasted.

Karen

AH thanks! I have whole dried poblano and ancho in my fridge and I
didn't even know it was pasilla.

Karen

Clyde Frog

Karen wrote..., On 10/06/2005 21:02:
> Pasilla pepper is one of my favorites... where did you find powdered?
> Popcorn pasilla or chili sounds great, btw.
> Karne

The local Albertson's has it in the spice section, on the rack of bulk
Mexican spices.

krusty kritter

Michael Sierchio wrote:
> krusty kritter wrote:
>
> > ... some of the thicker chiles don't dry
> > well, so they have to be smoked instead.

> [trying hard not to say anything about inhaling chile smoke]

Smoke them *outdoors* in a smoker, don't try to be the Zig Zag Man,
you'll
burn out your lungs and die in great agony! Don't even stand downwind
of your chile smoker. >
> I believe I know you, krusty. Or shall I call you .... "Bob" ?

Of course. One anonymous intelligent lifeform recognizes another from
its
creative nickname.

But "Bob" is somebody else. Maybe your uncle ;-)

> Ob food: chipotles in adobo, as bought in little cans at any
> Mexican grocery and some others, are good stuff. Smoke 'em if
> you've got 'em.

Seems to me like spice on top of spice might result in something too
spicy.

I tried some beef adobado in former McDonald's in Bakersfield which had
been converted to a Mexican fast food place. The beef adobado tasted a
bit like barbecue sauce.

Pete Fraser

"Reg" > wrote in message
. ..

> Also, chipotle is a smoked jalapeno, not roasted.

There seems to be a huge range of jalapeno hotness these days
but, even allowing for that, most chipotles seem hotter than jalapenos.

Anyone know why?

Clyde Frog

Reg wrote..., On 10/07/2005 09:31:
> Karen wrote:
>
>> Does roasted pasilla have a different name (like roasted jalepeno is
>> chipotle I think)?

> Roasted, no. Dried, yes. A pasilla is a dried chilaca,
> but some (I think it's a CA/regional thing) refer to a dried
> poblano as "pasilla", which it's not. There are two main
> types of dried poblano, ancho and mulato. Neither is
> properly called a pasilla.
>
> Also, chipotle is a smoked jalapeno, not roasted.

I checked a few links and there is considerable confusion of terms,
but yeah, this chile pasilla I've got is not smoked, just ground
dried very dark purple/black chile. I've got some chile ancho
powder and it is medium-tan in color.

I tried to look up the species name, but it seems most chiles are
"Capsicum annum" with C. frutescens/chinese/pubescens/baccatum
making up the others. Aren't there any formal names for the
various varieties/subspecies?
Reg

Pete Fraser wrote:

> There seems to be a huge range of jalapeno hotness these days
> but, even allowing for that, most chipotles seem hotter than jalapenos.
>
> Anyone know why?

Are you referring only to the canned en adobo stuff? I
find these products to be quite hot, hotter than the
regular commercially available chipotle I've tried (which
I'm not that impressed with. Homemade is much better,
and the chipotle ends up with the same level of heat
as the jalapeno).

It may be because there's more residual seeds and placenta
in the canned stuff, hence more heat. Just a theory.

Michael Sierchio

krusty kritter wrote:

> Seems to me like spice on top of spice might result in something too
> spicy.

Well, it goes well in chili. You know, the Texas stuff. No beans.

I also like the Herdez Salsa Verde, which is quite hot, but you
can temper it with some freshly toasted pumpkin seeds, ground
and salted (or salted and ground), and have a nice mole for
chicken. Quick and easy. I learned this after making the
equivalent from tomatillos, garlic, serranos, etc. and it
wasn't any better than the canned product.

--
"Well," Brahma said, "even after ten thousand explanations, a fool is no
wiser, but an intelligent man requires only two thousand five hundred."
- The Mahabharata

krusty kritter

Michael Sierchio wrote:

> I also like the Herdez Salsa Verde, which is quite hot, but you
> can temper it with some freshly toasted pumpkin seeds, ground
> and salted (or salted and ground), and have a nice mole for
> chicken. Quick and easy. I learned this after making the
> equivalent from tomatillos, garlic, serranos, etc. and it
> wasn't any better than the canned product.

I can get all sorts of commercially-prepared chile sauces for
practically nothing at the local 99 Cents Only Store, since most Anglos
have no idea what to do with the stuff and local Mexicans can grow
their own chiles if they want or buy salsa at bargain prices where I
shop.

I've seen gallon jugs of restaurant quality green chile sauce and
wondered what the heck I could ever do with a gallon of it, but it
disappeared from the shelves. The Mexicans probably bought it.

If I make a chile sauce for myself, it's actually more expensive than
just opening a can. The main thing I can do is control the texture in
my blender.
And a fresh chile is chewier.

Steve Pope

Reg > wrote:

>Karen wrote:
>
>> Does roasted pasilla have a different name (like roasted jalepeno is
>> chipotle I think)?

>Roasted, no. Dried, yes. A pasilla is a dried chilaca,
>but some (I think it's a CA/regional thing) refer to a dried
>poblano as "pasilla", which it's not. There are two main
>types of dried poblano, ancho and mulato. Neither is
>properly called a pasilla.

Interesting, I figured a smoked poblano ground up was a pasilla.

Is the pasilla powder I am buying a chilaca?

I put a fraction of it (20%) in every batch of chili but
rely on New Mexico chilis for the rest.

Steve
Steve Pope

Reg > wrote:

>Pete Fraser wrote:
>
>> There seems to be a huge range of jalapeno hotness these days
>> but, even allowing for that, most chipotles seem hotter than jalapenos.

>> Anyone know why?

>Are you referring only to the canned en adobo stuff? I
>find these products to be quite hot, hotter than the
>regular commercially available chipotle I've tried (which
>I'm not that impressed with. Homemade is much better,
>and the chipotle ends up with the same level of heat
>as the jalapeno).

>It may be because there's more residual seeds and placenta
>in the canned stuff, hence more heat. Just a theory.

Well, also ball park nacho jalapenos are bred to be not hot.
They look like jalapenos however.

Steve
Reg

Steve Pope wrote:

> Interesting, I figured a smoked poblano ground up was a pasilla.
>
> Is the pasilla powder I am buying a chilaca?

It depends on your source. If it's from south of the border,
in all likelihood yes. If it's from the USA, particularly
NM and CA, probably not.

There are exceptions to every rule, however. I recently looked
at Smart and Final's house brand of pasillas. They're produced
in Mexico for S&F, and they indeed turned out to be mediano
grade anchos.

> I put a fraction of it (20%) in every batch of chili but
> rely on New Mexico chilis for the rest.

Good choice. Another I like to add to that blend is a bit
of cascabel.

Pete Fraser

"Reg" > wrote in message
.. .
> Pete Fraser wrote:
>
>> There seems to be a huge range of jalapeno hotness these days
>> but, even allowing for that, most chipotles seem hotter than jalapenos.
>>
>> Anyone know why?

> Are you referring only to the canned en adobo stuff?

Yes.

> I find these products to be quite hot, hotter than the
> regular commercially available chipotle I've tried

I'm not sure what that is.
I've always just bought the cheap cans, and blended them.

> (which
> I'm not that impressed with. Homemade is much better,
> and the chipotle ends up with the same level of heat
> as the jalapeno).
>
> It may be because there's more residual seeds and placenta
> in the canned stuff, hence more heat. Just a theory.

When I'm in a jalapeno mood, I just chow down on the whole
raw pepper (seeds and placenta and all), so that can't
explain it.

Dave

This is probably a good place to ask... when you buy canned "roasted
green chiles" (e.g. La Victoria or Ortega brand) what kind of chile
does it consist of ? That is, what IS a "green chile"?
And yes, home-made adobo and home-made mole is the only way to go...
wish my wife had more time to make it! <sigh>....

Reg

Dave wrote:

> This is probably a good place to ask... when you buy canned "roasted
> green chiles" (e.g. La Victoria or Ortega brand) what kind of chile
> does it consist of ? That is, what IS a "green chile"?
> And yes, home-made adobo and home-made mole is the only way to go...
> wish my wife had more time to make it! <sigh>....

Ortega uses anaheims, which are very mild. So much so that I think
they add more heat via the seasoning blend.

Green chile means just that. It can refer to any type as long
as it's green.

Reg

Pete Fraser wrote:

> "Reg" > wrote in message
> .. .
>
>>I find these products to be quite hot, hotter than the
>>regular commercially available chipotle I've tried

> I'm not sure what that is.
> I've always just bought the cheap cans, and blended them.

I'm referring to chipotle. Unadulterated. This is the
best reference point when evaluating chipotle. Chipotle
en adobo is not the same as chipotle the way pickles
are not the same as cucumbers.

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/pDetail.asp?p=136

Michael Sierchio

Reg wrote:

> I'm referring to chipotle. Unadulterated.

Chipotle is an adulterated jalapeno.
Reg

Michael Sierchio wrote:

> Reg wrote:
>
>> I'm referring to chipotle. Unadulterated.

> Chipotle is an adulterated jalapeno.

True, which is why you wouldn't try and evaluate jalapenos
by sampling chipotles. You would use jalapenos as a reference
point.

Steve Pope

Dave > wrote:

>This is probably a good place to ask... when you buy canned "roasted
>green chiles" (e.g. La Victoria or Ortega brand) what kind of chile
>does it consist of ? That is, what IS a "green chile"?

An Anaheim chili, normally. However a Hatch chili is a possibility.

Steve
Reg

Steve Pope wrote:

> An Anaheim chili, normally. However a Hatch chili is a possibility.

I know Ortega uses anaheim exclusively for their green chile
product. La Victoria, I'm not sure. I haven't had it in years.

Rich McCormack

Steve Pope wrote:

> Dave > wrote:
>

>>This is probably a good place to ask... when you buy canned "roasted
>>green chiles" (e.g. La Victoria or Ortega brand) what kind of chile
>>does it consist of ? That is, what IS a "green chile"?

> An Anaheim chili, normally. However a Hatch chili is a possibility.
>
> Steve

One might grow Anaheim chiles in Hatch but not visa versa. Anaheim
is both a place and a type of chile. Hatch is place, not a type of
chile.

Rich

Clyde Frog

krusty kritter wrote..., On 10/07/2005 09:58:
> Michael Sierchio wrote:
>
>>krusty kritter wrote:
>>

>>>... some of the thicker chiles don't dry
>>>well, so they have to be smoked instead.

>>[trying hard not to say anything about inhaling chile smoke]

> Smoke them *outdoors* in a smoker, don't try to be the Zig Zag Man,
> you'll
> burn out your lungs and die in great agony! Don't even stand downwind
> of your chile smoker.

I smoked chile once. Or rather I scored a bag of pot that apparently
had been smuggled in packages of ultra-hot chile, so hot that the
capsicum leeched into the pot (along with a few seeds), and made it
unsmokable. It was so horrible, each toke burned my mouth and lungs,
yet any druggie knows he will continue to use his drug no matter how
adulterated it is (even snorting meth that is mostly drano). And I've
also been in a kitchen where chiles arboles were being sauteed for
some kind of salsa, it should be considered a chemical weapon.

"Drugs should be freely distributed. That way the people who want to
kill themselves will do it, leaving more room for the people who can
do the rest of the drugs."
-- Marilyn Manson

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 11:11:07 -0700, Michael Sierchio
> wrote:

>Reg wrote:
>
>> I'm referring to chipotle. Unadulterated.

>Chipotle is an adulterated jalapeno.

Chipotle is an adulerated jalapeno. It has been smoked and that smoke
adds a flavor to the chile. Smell a dried one sometime.

Unadulerated means "pure." That it is not.

jim

Joseph Michael Bay

Clyde Frog > writes:

>I smoked chile once. Or rather I scored a bag of pot that apparently
>had been smuggled in packages of ultra-hot chile, so hot that the
>capsicum leeched into the pot (along with a few seeds), and made it
>unsmokable. It was so horrible, each toke burned my mouth and lungs,
>yet any druggie knows he will continue to use his drug no matter how
>adulterated it is (even snorting meth that is mostly drano). And I've
>also been in a kitchen where chiles arboles were being sauteed for
>some kind of salsa, it should be considered a chemical weapon.

Yesterday I decided to make my own hot sauce, since the stuff I
like seems to be hard to find (like at produce stands a couple
hours away) and/or expensive, and because I wanted to try doing
it. So I bought a mess of jalapen~os, habaneros and a couple of
serranos, got my gloves on, washed and destemmed the peppers, and
was getting ready to blanch them in vinegar when I thought "Hey,
roasted peppers taste better; why not stick these under the broiler
for a few minutes?"

You should probably only do this if you have a working gas mask
handy. It was a lot like the time I was in a bar where someone
had been pepper-sprayed earlier that evening. Lots of coughing.

Anyway, the flavor of the roasted peppers really does come through,
but as it's mostly habanero it's too hot for me to even think about.

ow.

--
Joe Bay Leland Stanford Junior University
www.stanford.edu/~jmbay/ Program in Cancer Biology