Wayne Lundberg

Default High voltage in one bite!

I'm an old geezer, maybe too old to work the garden. But today I was out
there in the sun pulling weeds and stuff and got tired. So I decided to use
the formula used by most hard working Mexicans in the field to keep the
energy level high and the pain down.

I went to my kitchen, found a handful of chile serranos I had bought a few
days ago, some corn tortillas just waiting to be eaten, and a Tupperware
container with refried beans of days ago. I blended (liquefied) the chiles,
added salt, heated the refrieds and tortillas and had five tacos with just
these ingredients. The first taco burned my mouth so hard I was in tears,
the second I was not hurting at all, by the third I wanted to grab my wife
and dance her to bed, by the fourth I went back in the yard and turned two
yards of earth and plucked stuff before knowing what happened.

I'm inviting comments from people who know nutrition and physiology to
comment on what I think happened and happens to people who eat this diet.
The beans were made with a bit of lard which acted as a catalyst and tricked
the body into thinking the beans are beef-steaks. The tortillas have basic
vitamins and nutrients that are almost 100% digestible (because of the lime
catalyst). And the chile provides enough pain to the mouth that the human
body reacts as though it were on fire and secretes enough endorphins into
the system to quell the pain. Additionally, the chiles are loaded with
vitamins that continue to add power even as the heat wears off. The more
chile, the more endorphins, the less pain, the happier we are.

I did not learn this in any school nor is it taught in any school that I
know of.

Wayne in Chula Vista with a bowl full of avocados, apples, verdolaga and
nopalito from my back yard's harvest from today after the tacos were eaten.

Dimitri

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
> I'm an old geezer, maybe too old to work the garden. But today I was out
> there in the sun pulling weeds and stuff and got tired. So I decided to use
> the formula used by most hard working Mexicans in the field to keep the
> energy level high and the pain down.

<snip>

Careful there - the capsaicin (the active ingredient) is known to release
endorphins (natures morphine) in the brain hence the "good feeling" - This is
one of the reasons people seek hotter and hotter foods as time goes on. Runners
get the same effect called "Runners High". Remember the capsaicin is "fooling'
the nerve endings into thinking they are in pain. Your eyes watered.

Dimitri

el hoseo

In article >,
Wayne Lundberg > wrote:

[beans, corn tortillas, and chillies]
>I'm inviting comments from people who know nutrition and physiology to
>comment on what I think happened and happens to people who eat this diet.
>The beans were made with a bit of lard which acted as a catalyst and tricked
>the body into thinking the beans are beef-steaks. The tortillas have basic
>vitamins and nutrients that are almost 100% digestible (because of the lime
>catalyst). And the chile provides enough pain to the mouth that the human
>body reacts as though it were on fire and secretes enough endorphins into
>the system to quell the pain. Additionally, the chiles are loaded with
>vitamins that continue to add power even as the heat wears off. The more
>chile, the more endorphins, the less pain, the happier we are.

Hi Wayne,
I have always been taught that beans and corn is a complete protein.
They are also complex carbohydrates. Add the vitamin C and A from
the chilies and you have a tasty and complete meal.

Making steak (Sirloin) tacos tonight, mmmmm.

Regards,

Johann

>I did not learn this in any school nor is it taught in any school that I
>know of.
>
>Wayne in Chula Vista with a bowl full of avocados, apples, verdolaga and
>nopalito from my back yard's harvest from today after the tacos were eaten.

Saddam

"Dimitri" > wrote...
> "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
>> I'm an old geezer, maybe too old to work the garden. But today I was out
>> there in the sun pulling weeds and stuff and got tired. So I decided to use
>> the formula used by most hard working Mexicans in the field to keep the
>> energy level high and the pain down.

> <snip>
>
> Careful there - the capsaicin (the active ingredient) is known to release
> endorphins (natures morphine) in the brain hence the "good feeling" - This is
> one of the reasons people seek hotter and hotter foods as time goes on. Runners
> get the same effect called "Runners High". Remember the capsaicin is "fooling'
> the nerve endings into thinking they are in pain. Your eyes watered.

What I can't figure out is why they make you sweat. Does the capsicum
really imitate the nerve reaction to real heat so well it not only
feels like a painful burn but induces the sweating reflex? I sweat like
a pig when eating chile-hot foods, and even though it isn't really hot
or painful, vinegar also seems to make me sweat.

The amazing thing about capsicum is that it seems to be totally harmless,
the "burning" sensation being just an illusion. But the one thing I
hate about it is when it comes out the other end the next day.

Dimitri

"Saddam" > wrote in message
m...
> "Dimitri" > wrote...
>> "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
>>> I'm an old geezer, maybe too old to work the garden. But today I was out
>>> there in the sun pulling weeds and stuff and got tired. So I decided to use
>>> the formula used by most hard working Mexicans in the field to keep the
>>> energy level high and the pain down.

>> <snip>
>>
>> Careful there - the capsaicin (the active ingredient) is known to release
>> endorphins (natures morphine) in the brain hence the "good feeling" - This is
>> one of the reasons people seek hotter and hotter foods as time goes on.
>> Runners get the same effect called "Runners High". Remember the capsaicin is
>> "fooling' the nerve endings into thinking they are in pain. Your eyes
>> watered.

> What I can't figure out is why they make you sweat. Does the capsicum
> really imitate the nerve reaction to real heat so well it not only
> feels like a painful burn but induces the sweating reflex?

I believe so - Because it is not consistant between people I think there may
also be some sort of reaction to the substance. It seems to be very helpful in
cooling people down in hot climates - IMHO the use of chilies seems more
prevalannt in hot humid climates.

>I sweat like a pig when eating chile-hot foods, and even though it isn't really
>hot
> or painful, vinegar also seems to make me sweat.

> The amazing thing about capsicum is that it seems to be totally harmless,
> the "burning" sensation being just an illusion. But the one thing I
> hate about it is when it comes out the other end the next day.

Why do you think they call it Montezuma's revenge?

Com'on Ice cream.

Dimitri

Charles Gifford

"el hoseo" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Wayne Lundberg > wrote:
> >

> [beans, corn tortillas, and chillies]
> >I'm inviting comments from people who know nutrition and physiology to
> >comment on what I think happened and happens to people who eat this diet.
> >The beans were made with a bit of lard which acted as a catalyst and

tricked
> >the body into thinking the beans are beef-steaks. The tortillas have

basic
> >vitamins and nutrients that are almost 100% digestible (because of the

lime
> >catalyst). And the chile provides enough pain to the mouth that the human
> >body reacts as though it were on fire and secretes enough endorphins into
> >the system to quell the pain. Additionally, the chiles are loaded with
> >vitamins that continue to add power even as the heat wears off. The more
> >chile, the more endorphins, the less pain, the happier we are.

> Hi Wayne,
> I have always been taught that beans and corn is a complete protein.
> They are also complex carbohydrates. Add the vitamin C and A from
> the chilies and you have a tasty and complete meal.
>
> Making steak (Sirloin) tacos tonight, mmmmm.
>
> Regards,
>
> Johann

I may be wrong, but I think that the corn (aka maise, sweetcorn) only makes
the nutrients available when treated with lye (American) or lime (Indian). I
understand that untreated sweetcorn is not very nutricious - except for the
fiber content.

Charlie

> >I did not learn this in any school nor is it taught in any school that I
> >know of.
> >
> >Wayne in Chula Vista with a bowl full of avocados, apples, verdolaga and
> >nopalito from my back yard's harvest from today after the tacos were

eaten.

Wayne Lundberg

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
link.net...

..>
> I may be wrong, but I think that the corn (aka maise, sweetcorn) only

makes
> the nutrients available when treated with lye (American) or lime (Indian).

> understand that untreated sweetcorn is not very nutricious - except for

the
> fiber content.
>
> Charlie

..
You are absolutely correct. Think about it! Over five thousand years ago
somebody had the tenacity to add lime to boiling corn which made it possible
for a whole new civilization to develop. First hybridization of the near
microscopic sized maize, then the lime.

Jack Schidt®

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
> I'm an old geezer, maybe too old to work the garden. But today I was out
> there in the sun pulling weeds and stuff and got tired. So I decided to
> use
> the formula used by most hard working Mexicans in the field to keep the
> energy level high and the pain down.
>
> I went to my kitchen, found a handful of chile serranos I had bought a few
> days ago, some corn tortillas just waiting to be eaten, and a Tupperware
> container with refried beans of days ago. I blended (liquefied) the
> chiles,
> added salt, heated the refrieds and tortillas and had five tacos with just
> these ingredients. The first taco burned my mouth so hard I was in tears,
> the second I was not hurting at all, by the third I wanted to grab my wife
> and dance her to bed, by the fourth I went back in the yard and turned two
> yards of earth and plucked stuff before knowing what happened.
>
> I'm inviting comments from people who know nutrition and physiology to
> comment on what I think happened and happens to people who eat this diet.
> The beans were made with a bit of lard which acted as a catalyst and
> tricked
> the body into thinking the beans are beef-steaks. The tortillas have basic
> vitamins and nutrients that are almost 100% digestible (because of the
> lime
> catalyst). And the chile provides enough pain to the mouth that the human
> body reacts as though it were on fire and secretes enough endorphins into
> the system to quell the pain. Additionally, the chiles are loaded with
> vitamins that continue to add power even as the heat wears off. The more
> chile, the more endorphins, the less pain, the happier we are.
>
> I did not learn this in any school nor is it taught in any school that I
> know of.
>
> Wayne in Chula Vista with a bowl full of avocados, apples, verdolaga and
> nopalito from my back yard's harvest from today after the tacos were
> eaten.

Hi Wayne, I'm not schooled in nutrition either, but I think you needed to
eat something, what you ate was high energy, and the pleasure from the
endorphins gave you that extra oomph. Just my dos centavos.

Jack

Wayne Lundberg

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

..
snip for brevity....

> Hi Wayne, I'm not schooled in nutrition either, but I think you needed to
> eat something, what you ate was high energy, and the pleasure from the
> endorphins gave you that extra oomph. Just my dos centavos.
>
> Jack

Absolutely!

Zerge

Saddam wrote:
> "Dimitri" > wrote...
> > "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
> >> I'm an old geezer, maybe too old to work the garden. But today I was out
> >> there in the sun pulling weeds and stuff and got tired. So I decided to use
> >> the formula used by most hard working Mexicans in the field to keep the
> >> energy level high and the pain down.

> > <snip>
> >
> > Careful there - the capsaicin (the active ingredient) is known to release
> > endorphins (natures morphine) in the brain hence the "good feeling" - This is
> > one of the reasons people seek hotter and hotter foods as time goes on. Runners
> > get the same effect called "Runners High". Remember the capsaicin is "fooling'
> > the nerve endings into thinking they are in pain. Your eyes watered.

> What I can't figure out is why they make you sweat. Does the capsicum
> really imitate the nerve reaction to real heat so well it not only
> feels like a painful burn but induces the sweating reflex? I sweat like
> a pig when eating chile-hot foods, and even though it isn't really hot
> or painful, vinegar also seems to make me sweat.
>
> The amazing thing about capsicum is that it seems to be totally harmless,
> the "burning" sensation being just an illusion. But the one thing I
> hate about it is when it comes out the other end the next day.

Just an illusion you say. Hmmm. I've seen my brother writhe in agony on
the floor after eating mango sprinkled with habanero chile. It looked
pretty REAL to me!
The amazing thing is that he would go back and do it again almost every
week!

Oliver Costich

On 4 Oct 2005 10:21:29 -0700, "Zerge" > wrote:

>Saddam wrote:
>> >
>> > <snip>
>> >
>> > Careful there - the capsaicin (the active ingredient) is known to release
>> > endorphins (natures morphine) in the brain hence the "good feeling" - This is
>> > one of the reasons people seek hotter and hotter foods as time goes on. Runners
>> > get the same effect called "Runners High". Remember the capsaicin is "fooling'
>> > the nerve endings into thinking they are in pain. Your eyes watered.

>> What I can't figure out is why they make you sweat. Does the capsicum
>> really imitate the nerve reaction to real heat so well it not only
>> feels like a painful burn but induces the sweating reflex? I sweat like
>> a pig when eating chile-hot foods, and even though it isn't really hot
>> or painful, vinegar also seems to make me sweat.
>>
>> The amazing thing about capsicum is that it seems to be totally harmless,
>> the "burning" sensation being just an illusion. But the one thing I
>> hate about it is when it comes out the other end the next day.

>Just an illusion you say. Hmmm. I've seen my brother writhe in agony on
>the floor after eating mango sprinkled with habanero chile. It looked
>pretty REAL to me!

It's the mango.