Sonoran Dude

Default Speaking of 'comino' a killer party appetizer

Dudes,
I had a little pot luck the other day and a friend from back east
brought what she called a taco salad dip... Actually it was a tostada
dip and it was uniquivocally an off the shelf Kraft recipe for sure...
However it has inspired me to reach beyond the norm... As cumin ridden
as it was I found it a refreshingly brilliant layered dip...

All items served cold with home made chips and beverages of course.

Bottom layer was canned refried beans (no comments please)
2nd layer sour cream
3rd layer chopped iceberg lettuce
4th layer shredded cheese
5th layer was off the shelf generic taco sauce poured thick so the
cheese was swimming in it.
Topped with black olive slices

I just happened to have some home made fried corn chips that made it
semi-authentic but it was basically a taco-bell tostada on a chip.
I can't wait to try making an authentic tostada the same way only with
authentic home made beans, salsas and Mexican crèmes and cheeses… yum!
It’s a perfect party tray…

Wayne Lundberg

"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
> Dudes,
> I had a little pot luck the other day and a friend from back east
> brought what she called a taco salad dip... Actually it was a tostada
> dip and it was uniquivocally an off the shelf Kraft recipe for sure...
> However it has inspired me to reach beyond the norm... As cumin ridden
> as it was I found it a refreshingly brilliant layered dip...
>
> All items served cold with home made chips and beverages of course.
>
> Bottom layer was canned refried beans (no comments please)
> 2nd layer sour cream
> 3rd layer chopped iceberg lettuce
> 4th layer shredded cheese
> 5th layer was off the shelf generic taco sauce poured thick so the
> cheese was swimming in it.
> Topped with black olive slices
>
> I just happened to have some home made fried corn chips that made it
> semi-authentic but it was basically a taco-bell tostada on a chip.
> I can't wait to try making an authentic tostada the same way only with
> authentic home made beans, salsas and Mexican crèmes and cheeses… yum!
> It’s a perfect party tray…

I made tostadas last night my wife said were to die for! Fried corn tortilla
till crisp, ladle some refried beans that you have made in bacon grease, the
bacon set aside crispy in small pieces for tostada topping, onto the bean
sliced avocado, then some thinly sliced tomato, some grated cheese (Parmesan
works, but any white cheese is ideal) on top the pieces of bacon, on top
some cilantro and jalapeno rajas to taste. On the side I had a bowl of
liquidized Serrano chiles with cilantro and salt and hott'rn hell itself for
those of us who want fire in the mouth.

My whole family claim these are the best of the best in Mexican food
recipes.

Wayne

Sonoran Dude

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> "Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
>
>>Dudes,
>>I had a little pot luck the other day and a friend from back east
>>brought what she called a taco salad dip... Actually it was a tostada
>>dip and it was uniquivocally an off the shelf Kraft recipe for sure...
>>However it has inspired me to reach beyond the norm... As cumin ridden
>>as it was I found it a refreshingly brilliant layered dip...
>>
>>All items served cold with home made chips and beverages of course.
>>
>>Bottom layer was canned refried beans (no comments please)
>>2nd layer sour cream
>>3rd layer chopped iceberg lettuce
>>4th layer shredded cheese
>>5th layer was off the shelf generic taco sauce poured thick so the
>>cheese was swimming in it.
>>Topped with black olive slices
>>
>>I just happened to have some home made fried corn chips that made it
>>semi-authentic but it was basically a taco-bell tostada on a chip.
>>I can't wait to try making an authentic tostada the same way only with
>>authentic home made beans, salsas and Mexican crèmes and cheeses… yum!
>>It’s a perfect party tray…
>>

> I made tostadas last night my wife said were to die for! Fried corn tortilla
> till crisp, ladle some refried beans that you have made in bacon grease, the
> bacon set aside crispy in small pieces for tostada topping, onto the bean
> sliced avocado, then some thinly sliced tomato, some grated cheese (Parmesan
> works, but any white cheese is ideal) on top the pieces of bacon, on top
> some cilantro and jalapeno rajas to taste. On the side I had a bowl of
> liquidized Serrano chiles with cilantro and salt and hott'rn hell itself for
> those of us who want fire in the mouth.
>
> My whole family claim these are the best of the best in Mexican food
> recipes.
>
> Wayne

Wayne,
What is the jalapeno rajas? red or ripe jalapenos? My beans are made
with bacon too... what? no Mex oregano? try a pinch in your salsa for a
sonoran twist...
Wayne Lundberg

"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
> Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> > "Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Dudes,
> >>I had a little pot luck the other day and a friend from back east
> >>brought what she called a taco salad dip... Actually it was a tostada
> >>dip and it was uniquivocally an off the shelf Kraft recipe for sure...
> >>However it has inspired me to reach beyond the norm... As cumin ridden
> >>as it was I found it a refreshingly brilliant layered dip...
> >>
> >>All items served cold with home made chips and beverages of course.
> >>
> >>Bottom layer was canned refried beans (no comments please)
> >>2nd layer sour cream
> >>3rd layer chopped iceberg lettuce
> >>4th layer shredded cheese
> >>5th layer was off the shelf generic taco sauce poured thick so the
> >>cheese was swimming in it.
> >>Topped with black olive slices
> >>
> >>I just happened to have some home made fried corn chips that made it
> >>semi-authentic but it was basically a taco-bell tostada on a chip.
> >>I can't wait to try making an authentic tostada the same way only with
> >>authentic home made beans, salsas and Mexican crèmes and cheeses… yum!
> >>It’s a perfect party tray…
> >>

> > I made tostadas last night my wife said were to die for! Fried corn

tortilla
> > till crisp, ladle some refried beans that you have made in bacon grease,

the
> > bacon set aside crispy in small pieces for tostada topping, onto the

bean
> > sliced avocado, then some thinly sliced tomato, some grated cheese

(Parmesan
> > works, but any white cheese is ideal) on top the pieces of bacon, on top
> > some cilantro and jalapeno rajas to taste. On the side I had a bowl of
> > liquidized Serrano chiles with cilantro and salt and hott'rn hell itself

for
> > those of us who want fire in the mouth.
> >
> > My whole family claim these are the best of the best in Mexican food
> > recipes.
> >
> > Wayne
> >

> Wayne,
> What is the jalapeno rajas? red or ripe jalapenos? My beans are made
> with bacon too... what? no Mex oregano? try a pinch in your salsa for a
> sonoran twist...

I'm lucky to be in the heart of Mexican food for sale at any of my local
markets. Heck, 60% of my neighbors are from Mexico and the stores know how
to cater to us. So I buy canned rajas de jalapenos, green, with onions and
carrots added to make it an escabecher.

I'm starting to play around with comino because I do like the Texas style
greasy spoon chili and pure Mexican ingredients just don't cut the mustard.
And I know I'll be thrown out of Texas... but I like pinto beans in my
chili!

I'm glad somebody is playing in this newsgroup!

Wayne

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:21:53 -0700, Sonoran Dude
> wrote:

>Dudes,
>I had a little pot luck the other day and a friend from back east
>brought what she called a taco salad dip... Actually it was a tostada
>dip and it was uniquivocally an off the shelf Kraft recipe for sure...
>However it has inspired me to reach beyond the norm... As cumin ridden
>as it was I found it a refreshingly brilliant layered dip...
>
>All items served cold with home made chips and beverages of course.
>
>Bottom layer was canned refried beans (no comments please)
>2nd layer sour cream
>3rd layer chopped iceberg lettuce
>4th layer shredded cheese
>5th layer was off the shelf generic taco sauce poured thick so the
>cheese was swimming in it.
>Topped with black olive slices
>
>I just happened to have some home made fried corn chips that made it
>semi-authentic but it was basically a taco-bell tostada on a chip.
>I can't wait to try making an authentic tostada the same way only with
>authentic home made beans, salsas and Mexican crèmes and cheeses… yum!
>It’s a perfect party tray…

There are variations on this Five-Layer Dip, usually eaten with
tortilla chips (totopes). Avocado can be added. I have sene a
Seven-Layer dip. Well that is seven, the olives are considered a
layer.

I like 'em!

jim

Sonoran Dude

> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:21:53 -0700, Sonoran Dude
> > wrote:
>

>>Dudes,
>>I had a little pot luck the other day and a friend from back east
>>brought what she called a taco salad dip... Actually it was a tostada
>>dip and it was uniquivocally an off the shelf Kraft recipe for sure...
>>However it has inspired me to reach beyond the norm... As cumin ridden
>>as it was I found it a refreshingly brilliant layered dip...
>>
>>All items served cold with home made chips and beverages of course.
>>
>>Bottom layer was canned refried beans (no comments please)
>>2nd layer sour cream
>>3rd layer chopped iceberg lettuce
>>4th layer shredded cheese
>>5th layer was off the shelf generic taco sauce poured thick so the
>>cheese was swimming in it.
>>Topped with black olive slices
>>
>>I just happened to have some home made fried corn chips that made it
>>semi-authentic but it was basically a taco-bell tostada on a chip.
>>I can't wait to try making an authentic tostada the same way only with
>>authentic home made beans, salsas and Mexican crèmes and cheeses… yum!
>>It’s a perfect party tray…

> There are variations on this Five-Layer Dip, usually eaten with
> tortilla chips (totopes). Avocado can be added. I have sene a
> Seven-Layer dip. Well that is seven, the olives are considered a
> layer.
>
> I like 'em!
>
> jim

I've seen a few seven layer dips like you mention but never with the
lettuce and then drowning it in taco sauce.... that was what was
different here. It's pretty good.

In article >,
Wayne Lundberg > wrote:

>"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message

[]
>> I just happened to have some home made fried corn chips that made it
>> semi-authentic but it was basically a taco-bell tostada on a chip.
>> I can't wait to try making an authentic tostada the same way only with
>> authentic home made beans, salsas and Mexican crèmes and cheeses… yum!
>> It’s a perfect party tray…
>>

>I made tostadas last night my wife said were to die for! Fried corn tortilla
>till crisp, ladle some refried beans that you have made in bacon grease, the
>bacon set aside crispy in small pieces for tostada topping, onto the bean
>sliced avocado, then some thinly sliced tomato, some grated cheese (Parmesan
>works, but any white cheese is ideal) on top the pieces of bacon, on top
>some cilantro and jalapeno rajas to taste. On the side I had a bowl of
>liquidized Serrano chiles with cilantro and salt and hott'rn hell itself for
>those of us who want fire in the mouth.

Hi Wayne,

That sounds delicious. What kind of oil do you use to fry the Corn
Tortillas in? I can't seem to get really good homemade chips. I've
tried Corn and Canola.

Regards,

Johann

--
Return address invalid due to spam.
Dimitri

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

> I made tostadas last night my wife said were to die for! Fried corn tortilla
> till crisp, ladle some refried beans that you have made in bacon grease, the
> bacon set aside crispy in small pieces for tostada topping, onto the bean
> sliced avocado, then some thinly sliced tomato, some grated cheese (Parmesan
> works, but any white cheese is ideal) on top the pieces of bacon, on top
> some cilantro and jalapeno rajas to taste. On the side I had a bowl of
> liquidized Serrano chiles with cilantro and salt and hott'rn hell itself for
> those of us who want fire in the mouth.
>
> My whole family claim these are the best of the best in Mexican food
> recipes.
>
> Wayne

A Tostada buffet is a great party dish. People can construct their own. One
can also add (yuk) flour tortillas for burritos - add an electric fry pan and
you've got a Chimichanga table.

;-)

Dimitri

Wayne Lundberg

Any vegetable oil will do since you don't really leave that much oil on the
tortilla because you let it drain off by leaving the tortilla in a vertical
rest over paper towel.

Wayne

Saddam

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote...
> Any vegetable oil will do since you don't really leave that much oil on the
> tortilla because you let it drain off by leaving the tortilla in a vertical
> rest over paper towel.

Except that the BEST oil to fry corn tortillas with is lard. But
I've had good luck with corn oil in the past, while canola doesn't
seem to provide the right texture (in the baking newsgroup they
also complain about the texture canola produces in bread). You
might try adding a bit of lard to mostly corn oil, it imparts a
most delicious flavor.