Wayne Lundberg

Default Hot Sauce

"Lou (ping me for real address)" > wrote in message
> Having two daughters in San Diego, I've come to love the thin,
> non-vinegar, hot sauce that most burrito and taco shops offer. Can
> anyone help me with a recipe? Here in Orlando, it's unavailable.
>
> Thanks,
> Lou
> Please ping me for my real address. I'm sick of SPAM.

Methinks you will have to order some dried chile de arbol. A pound or more
will keep you going for a long time. The process is quite simple. Put a
handful of the de-stemmed red chiles into a cup of water and bring to a boil
then turn off and let them sit for an hour. Put it all in a blender without
rinsing but adding salt and a clove or two of raw garlic. Turn on the
machine until you get the consistency you want. Some people like to add
tomatoes and onion. Dare to experiment!

Wayne

Sonoran Dude

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> "Lou (ping me for real address)" > wrote in message
>
>>Having two daughters in San Diego, I've come to love the thin,
>>non-vinegar, hot sauce that most burrito and taco shops offer. Can
>>anyone help me with a recipe? Here in Orlando, it's unavailable.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Lou
>>Please ping me for my real address. I'm sick of SPAM.

> Methinks you will have to order some dried chile de arbol. A pound or more
> will keep you going for a long time. The process is quite simple. Put a
> handful of the de-stemmed red chiles into a cup of water and bring to a boil
> then turn off and let them sit for an hour. Put it all in a blender without
> rinsing but adding salt and a clove or two of raw garlic. Turn on the
> machine until you get the consistency you want. Some people like to add
> tomatoes and onion. Dare to experiment!
>
> Wayne

I spoke with one of the Los Betos chain owners when they first opened a
place in Scottsdale from San Diego. I think you may be looking for the
thin taco sauce that they use. According to the owner it is made with
the chili japonese and olive juice.
I would stick with Wayne's basic recipe. Japonese are very similar to
the arbol and sometimes sold for each other. I would guess to replace
1/3 of the liquid with olive juice. I like to brown my chili and garlic
on a dry iron skillet before blending or cooking. If you want to keep
that san diego color don't brown it. No tomato or onion needed for the
San Diego version. You may want to add just a pinch of mexican oregano
if there is a little flavor missing.