krusty kritter

Default "Authentic" Mexican Bread for Bocadillos?

I looked in my freezer and pantry and located the frozen chicken thighs
and the Knorr's chipotle sauce that I'd bought for a buck apiece at the
99 Cents Only Store. On the box that the Knorr's chipotle sauce came
in, there's a picture of Tinga de Pollo y Setas garnished with red and
green chili peppers.

(The dish reminded me of when some cheapskate amongst our motorcycle
riding club decided that he wanted to dine a la carte at a Chinese
restaurant inside of cooperating with the rest of us to get multiple
entrees and share them family style, which is what the Chinese
restaurant experience is all about. Mr. Cheapskate wound up with a huge
plate of walnut chicken that he couldn't eat and didn't want to
share...)

The Tinga de Pollo really looked like too much for one person to eat,
but I had an inspiration. I decided to make Chicken Tortas out of the
chicken and the sauce. If I had to *buy* a torta (that's what the local
taquerias would call a bocadillo), it would cost me about $4.00 per
torta, and I had enough chicken to make half a dozen tortas...

So, I boiled my pound of chicken thighs until the skin fell off and the
bones stuck out and I mangled it into small pieces and added a
tablespoon of oil to a large cast iron skillet and started frying the
chicken while I stirred it. When the chicken started to stick to the
bottom of the pan, I added a little water and and unstuck it, while
continuing to stir. The chicken shredded into long fibers. Then I added
the 16 ounces of Knorr's chipotle sauce, and a 13 ounce can of mushroom
stems and pieces and simmered the the mixture down until most of the
liquid was "absorbed". I had my Tinga de Pollo y Setas ready...

For the next step, I mashed two ripe avocados in a bowl, and sliced up
a large tomato and a small onion...

I spread hot refried beans on one slice of bread, and mayonnaise on the
other slice of bread. I spread the mashed avocado onto the mayonnaise,
added a tomato slice, some chopped onion and fresh cilantro...

Then I scooped some of the Tinga de Pollo y Setas onto the salad side
of the bread and popped the bean coated slice on top and I was ready to
eat my Bocadilla de Pollo...

Problem was, I couldn't pick it up like a proper sandwich. I used sour
dough bread to make the bocadillo or torta or whatever you want to call
it, but the sour dough bread wasn't strong enough to hold all that
moist Tinga and mayonnaise and tomato. I had to eat my bocadillo
with a fork. It was definitely good, it tasted like the taqueria
tortas, but it was dangerous to my shirt, it would have dripped too
much if I picked it up...

I was at the local supermarket, checking out the Mexican pastry shelf
and looking at Mexican breads. The only thing I could find that was big
enough was a package of teleritas, which are about six inches in
diameter and look like little round flat rolls...

That's not what they use in taquerias. The Mexican bread used in
taquerias doesn't rise as much, it's a lot tougher, but I don't know
what to ask for...

Maybe some French bread would do? But, it wouldn't be Mexican bread...