Dimitri

Default Birria question

"Paul Covey" > wrote in message
> I have a recipe posted here long ago that I do not want to repost for
> reasons the people who have been here for a long time will appreciate
> (shhhhhh! as David said), but I want to make it, but have been
> intimidated by the meat requred.
>
> The recipe calls for the following:
> 1 lb goat or pork meat
> 1 lb goat or pork leg (the lower part)
> 1 lb goat or pork ribs
>
> Assuming I don't use goat, while I could obviously use boneless pork for
> the first, what would I use for other kinds of pork, as these are not
> normally stocked in the supermarket? Chops for the ribs perhaps? But
> the leg?
> Paul

Pork

Picnic = front leg usually with skin

Boston Butt = Front Shoulder /upper leg/Chuck section

Dimitri

Paul Covey

Dimitri wrote:

> "Paul Covey" > wrote in message
>>The recipe calls for the following:
>>1 lb goat or pork meat
>>1 lb goat or pork leg (the lower part)
>>1 lb goat or pork ribs

> Picnic = front leg usually with skin
>
> Boston Butt = Front Shoulder /upper leg/Chuck section
>
> Dimitri

Thanks, and I assume it perhaps means I'll need to go to a butcher shop,
rather than the supermarket, which is fine. But I'll be making it soon.
Paul
Paul Covey

krusty kritter wrote:

> Paul Covey wrote:
>
>>I want to make it, but have been intimidated by the meat requred.
>>
>>The recipe calls for the following:
>>1 lb goat or pork meat
>>1 lb goat or pork leg (the lower part)
>>1 lb goat or pork ribs

> I googled up your recipe, and I was more intimidated by all the hot
> chiles specified. I ate Birria de Chivo at the Taqueria across the
> street from Mission San Buenaventura in Ventura, CA, and now I
> understand why the dark red chile sauce was so incendiary. I spooned
> the goat meat out of the sauce and drained it onto a paper napkin
> before making burritos with the meat and the flour tortillas...

You may well be right, but I want to try it anyway. Maybe I'll cut back
on the number of chiles - 2 arbol, 2 pasilla, and 3 arbol. Any thoughts
from anyone?
Paul
David Wright

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 01:17:34 GMT, Paul Covey > wrote:

>You may well be right, but I want to try it anyway. Maybe I'll cut back
>on the number of chiles - 2 arbol, 2 pasilla, and 3 arbol. Any thoughts
>from anyone?
>Paul

Sure. Make it to your taste. How could it be any other way? :-)

David

Looking for a birria de res recipe Linda[_12_] Mexican Cooking 3 04-12-2014 08:11 PM
Birria recipe? Johnny Mexican Cooking 3 22-10-2009 09:49 PM
Birria (Goat) Glasshousejohn Recipes (moderated) 0 09-03-2006 05:26 AM
New take on my Birria question Paul Covey Mexican Cooking 1 28-03-2005 04:38 AM
Birria A1 WBarfieldsr Mexican Cooking 8 15-10-2003 08:49 PM