pulido

Default mexican cook books

Hi
can anybody recommend any good mexican cook book's?
which do you think are the best ones?

I think the Taste of Mexico from Patricia Quintana is one of the best ones.

jose luis

Jim Lane

pulido wrote:
> Hi
> can anybody recommend any good mexican cook book's?
> which do you think are the best ones?
>
> I think the Taste of Mexico from Patricia Quintana is one of the best ones.
>
> jose luis

Diane(a) Kennedy - any of them.

jim
Paul Covey

I've always wondered about a cookbook I somehow have, but have never
asked for opinions because of possible political incorrectness, as it
was written in 1935 and has, for instance, a dedication to her "maid who
brightens my Mexican kitchen." However, I have found that these seem to
be true Mexican recipes, as in the forward, there is discussion of many
regional cuisines, etc. And for mole, it is pointed out there are as
many moles as cooks in Mexico, and the ones given are Mole Verde de Dona
Maria, Turkey Mole Tasqueno, Mole Verde of Turkey, Mole Poblano Amor,
and Mole Poblano. A number of recipes for tongue. For tamales, there
are Tamales with Pork, Chicken Tamales, Oaxaca Tamales, Tamales
Chuchulucos, and Nacatamales (Tamales Sinaloa Style). For appetizers,
there are tacos, chalupitas, quesadillas (including squash flowers),
Totopos, Albondigas, Chicharrones, Chalupas, Garnachas, Aguacate,
Tlacoyos, Taquitos, and Emparedados. These are a few examples of the
variety in this book.

The book is Your Mexican Kitchen by Natalie V. Scott with Foreward by
William Spratling. Just curious if anyone has heard of it and, if so,
what they think.
Paul

pulido wrote:
> Hi
> can anybody recommend any good mexican cook book's?
> which do you think are the best ones?
>
> I think the Taste of Mexico from Patricia Quintana is one of the best ones.
>
> jose luis

Saddam Hussein

"pulido" > wrote...
> Hi
> can anybody recommend any good mexican cook book's?
> which do you think are the best ones?
>
> I think the Taste of Mexico from Patricia Quintana is one of the best ones.

All you need to know about Mexican cooking is that there's only five
ingredients in the whole country; you must move everything around and
call it something else! All you need are tortillas, chopped/ground
meat, cheese, beans, and chiles - then you simply combine some or all
in various proportions and various shapes and layouts, and you have
a truly authentic Mexican dish (authentic in that at some point in the
last 500 years a Mexican cook prepared exactly what you did and
probably gave it a name).

Gary Flynn

pulido wrote:
> Hi
> can anybody recommend any good mexican cook book's?
> which do you think are the best ones?
>
> I think the Taste of Mexico from Patricia Quintana is one of the best ones.

We have a book fair here several times a year
with books at 70-80% off list. I've accumulated
quite a collection of what I think are good ones
even though the selection certainly isn't what is
in the main stores. However, I've done a lot of
browsing and I'm happy with the ones I have:

Two by Rick Bayless, Authentic Mexican and something
else. The fava bean soup with pasilla peppers is to
die for.

The Diana Kennedy "red book".

Savoring Mexico. Its one of those coffee table
books but I've enjoyed most of what I've cooked
out of it. Particularly the stuffed dried ancho
chiles. (I know the 'dried' is redundant but I
wanted to emphasize it-they were really good).
On the other hand, the chicken with oranges and
prunes ended up in the trash. I must admit it
might have had something to do with my overbrowing
the chicken though.
Costco sells this title sometimes.

Jim Lane

Saddam Hussein wrote:
> "pulido" > wrote...
>
>> Hi
>> can anybody recommend any good mexican cook book's?
>> which do you think are the best ones?
>>
>> I think the Taste of Mexico from Patricia Quintana is one of the best
>> ones.

> All you need to know about Mexican cooking is that there's only five
> ingredients in the whole country; you must move everything around and
> call it something else! All you need are tortillas, chopped/ground
> meat, cheese, beans, and chiles - then you simply combine some or all
> in various proportions and various shapes and layouts, and you have
> a truly authentic Mexican dish (authentic in that at some point in the
> last 500 years a Mexican cook prepared exactly what you did and
> probably gave it a name).

Hmmmm. cactus, tequila and about a dozen more I can mention, but won't.
So much for tha bit of your ignorance.

jim
Chula

"Paul Covey" > wrote in message
> I've always wondered about a cookbook I somehow have, but have never
> asked for opinions because of possible political incorrectness, as it
> was written in 1935 and has, for instance, a dedication to her "maid who
> brightens my Mexican kitchen."

That's nothing. I have an ancient cookbook/homemaking guide written in
about 1870, and you wouldn't believe some of the politically incorrect
things that it says. One that I have to laugh about is when they tell the
"mistress" of the house to always count her silverware after the [deleted
relates to race] servants have polished it.

We've come a long, long way, baby.

chula

Jim Lane

Chula wrote:
> "Paul Covey" > wrote in message
>
>>I've always wondered about a cookbook I somehow have, but have never
>>asked for opinions because of possible political incorrectness, as it
>>was written in 1935 and has, for instance, a dedication to her "maid who
>>brightens my Mexican kitchen."

> That's nothing. I have an ancient cookbook/homemaking guide written in
> about 1870, and you wouldn't believe some of the politically incorrect
> things that it says. One that I have to laugh about is when they tell the
> "mistress" of the house to always count her silverware after the [deleted
> relates to race] servants have polished it.
>
> We've come a long, long way, baby.
>
> chula

At the time, they were not politically incorrect, were they? Using
today's standards to judge the comments made then is a bit unfair. It it
like the PC gratuitous editing of a famous comment made by Rooseveldt so
it plays today. Nothing is sacred. Pity.

jim
Windcat

>> All you need to know about Mexican cooking is that there's only five
>> ingredients in the whole country;

> Hmmmm. cactus, tequila and about a dozen more I can mention, but won't.
> So much for tha bit of your ignorance.
>

> jim

Relax jim, that was a bit of humor that has been around
about a hundred years.
krusty kritter

Saddam Hussein wrote:

> All you need to know about Mexican cooking is that there's
> only five ingredients in the whole country; you must
> move everything around and call it something else!

Changed your nickname again, I see. Been doing a lot of drugs lately?
Does that affect your memory so badly you can't remember trolling the
NG before?

Old Magic1

"Gary Flynn" > wrote in message
pulido wrote:
> Hi
> can anybody recommend any good mexican cook book's?
> which do you think are the best ones?
>
> I think the Taste of Mexico from Patricia Quintana is one of the best

ones.

We have a book fair here several times a year
with books at 70-80% off list. I've accumulated
quite a collection of what I think are good ones
even though the selection certainly isn't what is
in the main stores. However, I've done a lot of
browsing and I'm happy with the ones I have:

Two by Rick Bayless, Authentic Mexican and something
else. The fava bean soup with pasilla peppers is to
die for.

I thought we were not to mention Rick Bayless because "He Is A Traitor To
Mexican Cuisine". This was because he advertised a sandwich for a fast food
chain. That sparked some good discussions in the past, lol.
--
Old Magic 1

snip

How to cook books Catfood Chef General Cooking 5 08-05-2021 03:40 AM
Cook books Classic Man General Cooking 0 16-12-2009 10:41 PM
Cook books John Gaughan General Cooking 14 19-03-2004 01:36 PM
... COOK BOOKS ... cookbooks Marketplace 0 25-11-2003 08:21 PM
COOK BOOKS cookbooks Marketplace 0 10-11-2003 04:59 PM