Olde Hippee

Default Ping KrustyKritter

I wanted to thank you for the instructions on tamale pie. It was
delicious. And tasted just like the tamales in our fav Mexican
restaurant!!

Olde Hippee
furkids, Khan, the greyhound puppy,
Pookie, Jack Russell Terrorista
wetkids, bakers dozen of assorted Koi
various frogs & yuckky toads

krusty kritter

Olde Hippee wrote:
> I wanted to thank you for the instructions on tamale pie. It was
> delicious. And tasted just like the tamales in our fav Mexican
> restaurant!!

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed experimenting with Mexican
ingredients...

I could be called a "culinary heretic", because I do experimental
things, like microwaving tamale pie and cooking enchiladas on the stove
top in a big iron skillet instead of melting the cheese in a hot
oven....

And, I don't roll my enchiladas, either, I just fold the softened
tortilla in half so it looks like a taco after filling it and arrange a
row of of six or seven enchiladas and put the lid on the skillet and
heat it on low flame for about 10 minutes to melt the cheese...

The bottoms of the enchiladas come out a little crunchy, but they taste
just like enchiladas, and I like the texture...

Some might call enchiladas that aren't rolled into a tubular shape a
"heresy"...

A lot of folks who have toured Mexico, or maybe visted a border town on
a day trip remember the seemingly "exotic" antojitos that they sampled,
returned home and wanted to duplicate the experience, so they logged on
the web and found a recipe and then they followed it exactly, thinking
that if they deviated, they wouldn't get the taste right...

Or, maybe a reader remembers how his/her Latino grandmother used to
make this or that Mexican dish and any deviation defies tradition, so
they don't want to experiment at all...

And many Americans, with their limited experience eating Sonoran-style
cuisine only tend to have limited ideas about what can be done with the
available ingredients...

But I found a neat web page that goes into great depth about the
variety of things that might be eaten by rural Mexicans which Americans
have never heard of...

http://www.uv.mx/popularte/ingles/comer.htm
This web site goes on and on about Mexican cooking and culture...

Ping sf Janet B General Cooking 2 16-03-2015 08:05 PM
Ping: Ya BUM kilikini General Cooking 4 20-07-2007 08:33 PM
PING: ANYONE! MoM General Cooking 18 03-12-2005 03:41 PM